Greek Royal Palaces and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...Or assigning it, because it might be awarded to a bank and the bank will sell it or they might accept the proposal of Mayor of Salonika of do one plant vines on it or it is more possible that they(the State) wanted money, maximum profit, then would sell it at auction. The future will be who say it.

Last edited:
Well the good thing about Greece being a bankrupt and apparently ungovernable state is that they will likely have to sell off state assets in order to keep the lights on. It may well be possible to pick up what is left of Tatoi or even Mon Repos for a bargain basement price. Heck you may even be able to buy the Parthenon and put it in the British Museum next to the Elgin Marbles if things get any worse. If the Greeks couldn't look after their national heritage during the good times they will never be able to do it now.

In Greece, the fund proposes to sell or lease the Palace of Tatoi, a country home surrounded by forest 27 kilometers (16 miles) from the Athenian Acropolis, the people said. It was used by the royal family until they fled the country in 1967 before the monarchy was abolished and the Hellenic Republic was proclaimed in 1974. The estate includes 40 outbuildings, stables and a cemetery where Greek royalty dating back to 1880 are buried, the people said. A sale may be hindered by popular opposition and the condition of the estate, which has fallen into ruin, according to the people.
Greece Plans Sale of London Diplomat Home, Palace - Businessweek

The Royal Family could buy it.

Why would the Greek royal family need this house? Does the family have sufficient funds to maintain the property?

Last edited:
Al_bina said:
Why would the Greek royal family need this house? Does the family have sufficient funds to maintain the property?

Because its their property that was confiscated by the "democratic" regime. If the house was never taken from them and never left to fall in such a sad state of disrepair they could easily maintain it but the way it is now only Pavlos and Marie Chantal could afford to fix it.

:previous:
Why would Crown Prince Pavlos and his wife be interested in buying/leasing the property? Has it got any sentimental value for Crown Prince Pavlos? What are they going to do with it? Leasing it to others like Chateau d'Autet? Buying the Palace as a symbolic gesture will not be appreciated.

I have read a couple of articles about Tatoi the last weeks, but I didn't have the time to comment them here until now - all very interesting ( sorry if the language is akward, I am trying to translate from the articles). " Kathimerini" published two articles about Tatoi at the beginning of September. According to the newspaper , the Ministry of Economics gave the "green light" to utilize the estate and they calculate that the Greek state could win some 150 milion euros in the process.

A survey has been carried out during the summer and thats the general ideas so far; they seem to believe that Waddesdone Estate in a good example to folow more or less (I don't know anything about Waddesdone , so I don't know hpw good or bad this idea is). The historical buildings and the graves - and everything else that is considered a monument won't be touched, just maintened. But they plan to quadruple the buildings in the estate and use them to house a museum and recreational activities. They also think that units of agricultural produce are an option and that in general the old agricultural produce and animal breeding units could be revived. This kind of development is not easy because the forest in Tatoi is protected so currently they cannot exploit it in order to built anything there.
At any rate, the idea right now seems to be that is more profitable to lease it to an experienced developper that to but it on the market - so I don't know what chances the GRF has to rebuy it.

Last edited:

My dear Cory, youy are very nicely romantic (it is a compliment). I do not think that King Kostantine has the funds to afford to buy such a place and even if he had, I'm sure that many stupid people would find the way to protest against and to create fuss.
IMO,the only way to Tatoi to go back to the GRF, is, if Marie-Chantal was foolish enough, to desire to live into an ancestral family Palace and play the Queen... she is the only one who could afford, and even not sure....

:previous:
Why would Crown Prince Pavlos and his wife be interested in buying/leasing the property? Has it got any sentimental value for Crown Prince Pavlos?

His whole family's graves, maybe?

Well if your family had lived in a country for 150 years don't you think you have the right to call yourself a citizen of that country and to feel a part of the country where you were born and raised and educated?

Absolutely right!!!
In most of the european contries, a foreigner, after some years ( 10-15 years) of permanent residing, can apply and become and FEEL fully a national of the country where he lives. And the GRF after 150 years cannot???? UNACCEPTABLE

Last edited by a moderator:
... [snipped] His whole family's graves, maybe?... [snipped]
That is a good reason to try to save Tatoi Palace. It is unknown 1) whether or not Crown Prince Pavlos has sufficient funds to buy and restore the property; 2) whether or not Crown Princess Marie Chantal wants to live in this place. Will the Greek government allow them to buy this property without hassle?
Buying Queen Frederica's tiara might be viewed as a good investment. However, buying the dilapidated palace is likely to turn into a bottomless money pit.

Last edited:
From the videos I have seen of Tatoi I think a new buyer would pretty much have to tear the place down and start a new. The land no doubt has value but the buildings or what remains of them cannot be worth much anymore. It has been allowed to fall into shambles. Has the government put an asking price on the place yet?

King Constantine said last year that he had made every effort to acquire ownership of Tatoi, but after all attempts, he had come to the conclusion that for him and his family was impossible, so he had decided to purchase other properties. and it is true the politicians of greece never would permit it.They are not going to buy anything. The new property they have acquired in the Peloponnese, is very large, anticipates building several homes, it is obvious that Princes Paul and Marie Chantal will build their residence of summer there.

On the other hand the Greek goverment never would authorize such a purchase, it is obvious they are excluded.

But I believe that the bones of the kings buried in the cemetery can not pass to be private property, because they are owned of king or ex King... are their ancestors, it is very cruel. Other people can not to be owned your ancestors. This cemetery may be a new owner but the bones are the king of Greece . Would be it fair that the King of Greece to make one memorial to his parents, he would has that ask permission to one private person?

Last edited:
no comments. beltraneja and others, I agree with you. they could not buy never it because politicians will never permit it.

With the Greek financial situation the way it is and with the volume of state assets big and small the government must flog off as quickly as possible, few buyers would be turned away. That's even assuming King Constantine would now even consider it. But if he did, and if he had the cash or the backers to buy the property, it could be done easily enough through nominee or holding companies.

Tatoi palace for sale or lease

According to greek news the Tatoi palce and estate are planned to be saled or leased in an effort to gather money for the greek dept

According to greek news the Tatoi palce and estate are planned to be saled or leased in an effort to gather money for the greek dept

Great idea, should have been done a while ago.

If thats true i wonder who will buy it!!

I think: it is very difficult to sell because the authorites of Tatoi and administration of State are fighting by property, the concesions....I think that it may be one concesion to one businessperson for one hotel, but it needs very money and I think the colaboration of banks, and I don´t think that the banks colaborate with businessperson, the problems of the crisis but I am surprised by the information, the State are selling edifices to obtain money

Last edited:
According to latest news from greek media the palace and other buildings of the royal estate will be restored and leased and not salled.The current laws are too complicated for the state to sell the palace.The palace will function as a museum so will be free to visit.

in 2003, The Goverment said that it would restaured and in 2004 and in 05(they spoke about one Hotel, museum..), 06, and 07!!!!!!!,08,09...to 2012, I think that it will be sold or similar but no restaured. During 10 years I have read it(museum, hotel....) .The future of Tatoi is uncertain, this is reality

Last edited:
Letting the former royal family buy it is out of the question I suppose?

in 2003, The Goverment said that it would restaured and in 2004 and in 05(they spoke about one Hotel, museum..), 06, and 07!!!!!!!,08,09...to 2012, I think that it will be sold or similar but no restaured. During 10 years I have read it(museum, hotel....) .The future of Tatoi is uncertain, this is reality

today , I have read this news in one newspaper of the 3 november
Tatoi has been transferred to the Privatization Fund .this is the beginning of the process to be sold by the state

It would be interesting to see who buys it.

a foundation could buy it and the former greek royals could rent it (if impossible to buy directly)

Before. I had doubts about the news, but now, it is clear will be sold in 2013, the government expects to raise a lot of money. What will happen to the cemetery?.

It's sad, Tatoi undoubtedly holds a great deal of memories and history for the Greek royal family. Is it completely out of the picture for Constantine (or anyone else from the family) to be able to buy it?

Whoever the buyer is they are pretty much just buying the land. The buildings are largely in ruin and uninhabitable. They would likely have to tear them down and start over if they wanted a home on the estate. It would certainly be faster and cheaper than trying to restore what is on the land now.

I would hope if its bought that its treated as a historic building and not torn down but lovingly restored.

Back
Top Bottom