General News for the Wales Family 1: September 2022-March 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Editorial integrity matters and this is an example of why it becomes dangerous to obstruct the press from covering the royal family (and Govt and others in positions of power).Privacy is important but it can and should be balanced with independent reporting and photography."

- Natasha Hirst, President of the National Union of Journalists.
This response goes much further than just pulling a picture because it edited by an amateur photographer.

This isn't about trying to get access to Catherine's medical records (or Charles's, for that matter). It's about KP releasing an edited photo without saying it was edited. No reputable news/photo agency is going to run a picture that has been edited without prior knowledge that it was edited. Doesn't matter if it's of Catherine, Pres. Biden, or a dog doing a pirouette in a tutu.

No one is trying to shame or humiliate Catherine, William, or anyone else.
The statement I read was not strictly limited to photography complaints. So, yes, I think they likely want more information than they have. Not copies of the actual records, but more information.

I’m making a judgment based off my general feelings about the press- and their insatiable appetite for information.

I’m personally not into conspiracy theories. I just think it’s all a bit much. Photos are edited all the time. This was too much- okay- but still a family photo at the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
This response goes much further than just pulling a picture because it edited by an amateur photographer.
I think it speaks to a larger issue with the Wales' that usually it's Kate taking their photos, never anyone independent. Force fed information vs being given access independently.

Wow....things are worse at KP than I thought.
Big mistake for the Princess to take the fall for editing the photos.
1. It can open up a can of worms and people are going to look back at all the photos she took in the past.

2. Even if the Princess did edit the photos. It is not her responsibility to edit photos and release. KP has an entire communication and press team whose job and responsibility it is to know the rules and regulations regarding photos and manipulating them. These rules didn't suddenly come about overnight and that's why KP has paid professionals on their team.
Agree 100%!!

Furthermore, the can of worms can include all issues of trust, was it really her who wrote the message, why can an amateur cause this amout of anormalities in a photo etc etc etc
This kind of response will only be fuelling more of the absurd specualtions they wanted to avoid.

I have a hard time believing that AP or any other news outlet has NEVER EVER BEFORE published a retouched photo? Really? Just let it go!

As has been said several times now, it's not that the photo was retouched. It's that they didn't say it was retouched. Of course, the AP and other news outlets have published retouched photos. They knew they were retouched before they ran them, however.

I think some of you are missing the point here. If you're going to edit a photo, say you've edited it. Even if all you did was correct for red eye and fix someone's hair. It's not that difficult to do.

So now we know that the photoshop is behind those perfect family photos. What a shocker 😅. I wish I was any good at editing as I have only two photos of my husband and I with our baby from his first birthday party and everyone is looking in different directions 🤦‍♀️

Well, let’s be fair: the Palace should have known the rules international press agencies apply to edited/manipulated pictures. So this is totally on the Palace. Lessons should be learned.

Also, mother's day photos are not an annual tradition for Kensington Palace. They have only done so 3 previous times.
The job of KP is not to pander to the International media. If they don’t want to use the picture, it’s their prerogative but getting worked up over an edited picture shouldn’t be big news.

As has been said several times now, it's not that the photo was retouched. It's that they didn't say it was retouched. Of course, the AP and other news outlets have published retouched photos. They knew they were retouched before they ran them, however.

I think some of you are missing the point here. If you're going to edit a photo, say you've edited it. Even if all you did was correct for red eye and fix someone's hair. It's not that difficult to do.

Well- no one is going to sell me that this is the first edited photo ever KP has released. Assuming that to be the case, I would think they released them the same way they always have- which presumably includes not announcing edits. Just a guess, but I think it’s a fair one. (Could be wrong here and they deviated from their norm.) So what exactly is the real issue now? Too much editing? Not enough information from the RF in general regarding recent family issues? Both?

Don’t know. But Natasha Hirst’s complaints went way beyond complaining about a photo. So who else is upset about more than a photo?

"Editorial integrity matters and this is an example of why it becomes dangerous to obstruct the press from covering the royal family (and Govt and others in positions of power).Privacy is important but it can and should be balanced with independent reporting and photography."

- Natasha Hirst, President of the National Union of Journalists.

I find this statement over the top. It's a photoshopped family photo, there's minimal risk associated with that unless Hirst is somehow suggesting that the photo isn't just edited but completely fabricated. I just do not understand what she means by "this is an example of why it becomes dangerous to obstruct the press from covering the royal family." What exactly happened to merit that? Such a weird reaction from the President of the National Union of Journalists...

Also now that I think about it, even if Catherine edited the photo, it's not at all her job to ensure that all usual protocols are observed when releasing a photo to the press, that's on KP's press team. Unless they were explicitly told not to mention the edits, they should have taken responsibility. I'm all the more impressed Catherine took direct responsibility...

A number of posts have been edited/deleted. Please steer clear of speculating about Kate’s health.

This topic obviously brings out strong emotions, but please remember that we expect our members to follow the forum rules.

I'm finding this utterly ridiculous. It's hardly as if they've edited out a gang of spies hiding in the background. A bit of Charlotte's sleeve and a bit of Charlotte's zip are slightly out of kilter. What a fuss about nothing!

I just feel bad for George and Charlotte in this. Louis is too young to understand. I just hope the kids aren't hearing the cranks and crackpot nonsense and overblown hysteria about this picture.
A harmless picture. Probably released to "try" tamper down a lot of the ridiculous chatter and conspiracy theories about Kate . A simple Thankyou for well wishes and to celebrate Mothers Day.
Not a Matter of State, Dynastic Photo that had hidden messages in it.

everyone's response to this has been so crazy and over the top that i even left my lurking position to comment! i really can't believe how something so small and silly is being reported everywhere!

was the photoshop necessary? in my opinion no, but i'm just a regular person.
was the photoshop bad? yes, but again it's not the easiest apps to use and, more importantly, who cares about charlotte's sleeves?

on social media, the response to it feels a lot like petty revenge/gossip, which considering everything that happened in the last few years, it's 100% expected. however, the statement shared above doesn't sound as if the only issue here was a case of bad photoshop, but more about denied access. like, "ohh look at this, if only a professional photographer affiliated to a news outlet had been asked to take this picture nothing like this would've happened".

I just feel bad for George and Charlotte in this. Louis is too young to understand. I just hope the kids aren't hearing the cranks and crackpot nonsense and overblown hysteria about this picture.
A harmless picture. Probably released to "try" tamper down a lot of the ridiculous chatter and conspiracy theories about Kate . A simple Thankyou for well wishes and to celebrate Mothers Day.
Not a Matter of State, Dynastic Photo that had hidden messages in it.

I don't feel bad for them at all because I'm 100% positive they know jack and squat about what is going on. Unless William and Catherine are telling them that mean people on the magic Internet box are saying horrible things about their mother's photography skills, they haven't a clue.

Now, I feel bad that George, Charlotte, and Louis had to see her be uncomfortable and not at her best, but that has nothing to do with this.

I'm finding this utterly ridiculous. It's hardly as if they've edited out a gang of spies hiding in the background. A bit of Charlotte's sleeve and a bit of Charlotte's zip are slightly out of kilter. What a fuss about nothing!

One could argue that if the only issue about the picture was Charlotte's sleeve and an off-kilter zipper, why bother editing that? If you're going to go to the trouble of retouching a photo, retouch it for something major.

I find it all a bit odd tbh - all a fuss over nothing odd.

The photo agencies seem to have taken photoshopped pics from the couple before so why not now? It seems to be if that is true it is because they are treating this picture as "photojournalism" or a "news picture" when actually its a personal picture taken by Catherine (I guess she set it all up for William to take the shot) and released by them.
What I find odd is the idea its scandalous that a royal picture is photoshopped - the BBC radio news pointed out the Royal Collection is actually mounting a "Royal Portraits:A Century of Photography" exhibition from next week that amongst other things shows the handwritten notes by the likes of Cecil Beaton and Lord Snowdon on how to develop the negatives to get "the desired effect" i.e. early photoshopping. Royal portraits / pictures have always been photoshopped and the only ones I would expect not to are those taken by the journalists like Arthur Edwards out and about each day with the RF.
If they had got a photographer in, even Chris Jackson of Getty (who pulled the pic by Catherine) are you seriously telling me he wouldn't have edited a bit?
Interestingly as an example, the AP's rules don't even allow removal of red eye on pics - I mean thats pretty basic and really changes very little about the picture. I honestly think the picture is being held to too high a standard.
Going forward I wonder if they just won't release it via the agencies at all and release it on social media? I don't get why they suddenly have issues when they have released clearly photoshopped pics before via the agencies (As have others)
Honestly, a fuss about nothing and certainly not a fuss that is really Catherine's fault.
I do think KP need a bit of a wake up call though - surely someone there would know the rules around this stuff? I mean Catherine's stylist / PA Natasha Archer is married to Getty Images Chris Jackson and the KP team seems to be mainly made up of Comms staff surely someone knows the rules?

I think it speaks to a larger issue with the Wales' that usually it's Kate taking their photos, never anyone independent. Force fed information vs being given access independently.
You cannot force feed information to gluttons who want more and more. The Wales family do not "force feed" anything. The problem seems to be that they don't let out information every time someone whines for it.
THAT is the problem the press and social media addicts have with them.

Ok it has become clear that the problem is the press is butt hurt they are prevented from having access to Kate. There are too many people now calling for the press to know everything about everything. This has to do with a member of the RF taking the first official photos of Kate this year and distributing it to the press rather than they getting the money shot. Whoever wrote, advised, or allowed that statements release should be fired. Never complain never explain. This was much ado about nothing and the Wales gave into it.

It's not that the photo was photo shopped which honestly pretty much is done on a regular basis but that the photo agencies found that the photo was manipulated. Not sure what that means but it is just not a matter of erasing wrinkles, correcting shadowing etc.

I think the problem also is that if the photo had been put on their social media accounts it would not have been an issue. KP released it to the photo agencies and of course these agencies need to do their due diligence to maintain their integrity.

Their integrity. Haha!

But I will admit, Catherine should be more media savvy after 20 years in the spotlight. She should have known they'd pick over the photo with a fine tooth comb. You'd think it was her first year as a world famous woman.

But still, the press and social media conspiracy theorists need to get a grip and have a real look at their priorities on news.

Best not tell the media about all those not so truthful royal portraits from centuries past. Henry viii & Elizabeth i did more than a little touching up don't ye know.;)

They'll get the heebie jeebies.:lol:

It’s quite interesting that the BBC and other broadcasters as well as newspaper websites have used this car shot when no major UK media organization used the one a few days ago in Windsor with Carole Middleton.

I think the difference might be that while Kate had a private appointment, William was traveling to the Commonwealth service. It’s pretty accepted for them to be photographed on the way to or from official engagements.

It's not that the photo was photo shopped which honestly pretty much is done on a regular basis but that the photo agencies found that the photo was manipulated. Not sure what that means but it is just not a matter of erasing wrinkles, correcting shadowing etc.
The AP doesn’t accept photoshopped pictures. They’re okay with cropping, and minor color adjustments, but things like erasing wrinkles would be considered manipulation. The AP states that photos that don’t obtain the “authentic nature of the photograph” would be rejected. So any type of photoshop is considered manipulation to them. They don’t even accept red-eye removal.

From the AP article regarding their reasons for rejecting the photo:

AP’s editorial standards state that images must be accurate. AP does not use altered or digitally manipulated images.

AP’s news values and principles explain that minor photo editing, including cropping and toning and color adjustments, are acceptable when necessary for clear and accurate reproduction and should maintain the authentic nature of the photograph.

Changes in density, contrast, color and saturation levels that substantially alter the original scene are not acceptable. Backgrounds should not be digitally blurred or eliminated by burning down or by aggressive toning. The removal of “red eye” from photographs is not permissible.

Source

Last edited:
I think the problem also is that if the photo had been put on their social media accounts it would not have been an issue. KP released it to the photo agencies and of course these agencies need to do their due diligence to maintain their integrity.
The article I read on the NYT site said the issue with the photo had been found “on closer inspection” AFTER publication. I agree very much the agencies need to do their due diligence, but would it not be better for them to do it before publishing, if their integrity is so important to them?

I think that William and Catherine, and their team, have an obligation to try their best to work with photo and news agencies and not knowingly send them content that’s subpar, but the agencies have the ultimate responsibility for images they choose to publish.

Should the responsible agencies consider issuing an apology to the public for failing to uphold their own standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom