General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: Feb 2015-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t the Guardian anti-monarchy? I saw it earlier, didn’t bother to read it and won’t now.

Yes, the Guardian is anti-monarchy. The Guardian is anti pretty much everything British and pretty much everything American.

Prince Charles has been talking about the problems faced by theatres, concert halls, etc, which aren't likely to reopen any time soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52795691

Some smaller theatres have already said that they'll be closing permanently. Museums are also suffering: the museum where Henry VIII's Mary Rose lives has to keep the rooms at a constant temperature to stop the ship from disintegrating, and that's very expensive.

I'm not sure what Prince Charles can do about any of it, unfortunately, but he makes a good point.

"Know thy enemy" as the maxim says.;)

Yes, the Guardian is anti-monarchy. The Guardian is anti pretty much everything British and pretty much everything American.

Prince Charles has been talking about the problems faced by theatres, concert halls, etc, which aren't likely to reopen any time soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52795691

Some smaller theatres have already said that they'll be closing permanently. Museums are also suffering: the museum where Henry VIII's Mary Rose lives has to keep the rooms at a constant temperature to stop the ship from disintegrating, and that's very expensive.

I'm not sure what Prince Charles can do about any of it, unfortunately, but he makes a good point.

Hmm, as an American I should like that...but, I don’t, lol. It’s fine to be Republican, but at least be fair. Charles is trying to do a good thing.

I read the BBC article earlier - that’s a real shame. I hope those theaters, any theaters, don’t become victims of the virus. I believe Broadway is going to suffer also - prices are expensive, seats are very close and musicals are exorbitant to produce. I suspect more plays will be produced instead of mostly musicals.

I love this photo ! I spy George and the Queen Mum!

Yes, theatres are going to suffer. I've often been to the cinema when there've been very few people there, but theatres need to sell out, and it's usually very crowded in the foyer and even in the queue to show your ticket on the way in, never mind in the actual seats.

I can see an NHS rainbow picture in there as well - presumably done by Louis!

Great article on how an impatient Charles is preparing to get back to work:

The heir believes his fitness - honed from his time serving in the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy from 1971 to 1976 - is responsible for him bouncing back from a bout of coronavirus after he was infected with the Covid-19 disease in March.

After returning to work the Prince heralded the virtues of “healthy body, healthy mind” and has now set about devising a roadmap for the family to return to business along with the Queen and Prince William.

The three senior royals have been holding regular video calls and are all “raring to go” after spending recent weeks contacting charities around the country to offer their help in person “when given the green light”.

A palace source said: “The Queen has always maintained the family ‘must be seen to be believed’ and this is very much the core belief right now.

“They are all in regular contact over Zoom and FaceTime and have all instructed aides to be fully engaged in scheduling a return public business as soon as possible, but only when the time is right.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-charless-military-regime-before-22116486

The FE has 6 engagements for Anne listed (last week they had none for anyone) for June and to 1st July. It also has 5 that she won't be doing up to the 25th June.

There are none listed for anyone else but that isn't unusual for Charles or William as they don't believe that they should have their events listed on the FE. Charles will put up a couple each month but William doesn't use that.

The Queen, I doubt, will be doing any 'public engagements' for months ... i.e. those engagements where crowds gather.

I can see small groups being involved in things at BP or CH - maybe groups of 10 or 20.

I have read that all investitures for the rest of 2020 have been cancelled so it will be interesting to see if any are rescheduled or whether, as I said maybe there will be more of them but with smaller groups.

The Duchess of Cornwall has sent a message to volunteers at the start of #VolunteersWeek. Usually celebrated during the first week of June, whilst this year’s events have been cancelled, volunteers are being recognised for their efforts in tackling the effects of COVID-19.

As the proud President of the Royal Voluntary Service, HRH has also shared a video message for the charity's #VirtualVillageHall to thank the thousands of volunteers helping those in need, in hospital and in the community, as well as the hundreds of thousands of #NHSVolunteerResponders who are supporting the NHS during these difficult times. Over 250,000 tasks have already been completed, with 98% of requests being met within 24hrs.

Joining the team of NHS Volunteer Responders across the country, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duchess of Cambridge, The Countess of Wessex & The Duchess of Gloucester have all taken part in ‘check-in and chat’ calls with those self-isolating, vulnerable or elderly.

The scheme is being delivered by the Royal Voluntary Service, who have continued to provide their regular voluntary activity. The charity’s hundreds of social clubs and groups are unable to meet during this time so the Virtual Village Hall programme is designed to bring people together online, to enjoy activities at the same time.

I think we may soon start to see some of the royals going 'out and about' again as restrictions are eased. The Household always want to be seen to follow government advice and the government seems to be trying to encourage people to get back to some level of normality whist still being careful, thus is makes sense for the royals to do the same. Whilst being mindful of still setting a good example.

While it may be some time until we see events with any large number of people, visits to those helping with the national effort will probably begin along with a number of low key visits to charities and audiences with very small groups (2 -5 people).

Cute invitation :flowers:

Boy was he bored at the coronation, though at his age no surprise. He did seem happier on the balcony later. As an adult looking back he would be proud to have been there. But part of him as a 4 year old likely wondered why he couldn't stay home and play.

Cute invitation :flowers:

Boy was he bored at the coronation, though at his age no surprise. He did seem happier on the balcony later. As an adult looking back he would be proud to have been there. But part of him as a 4 year old likely wondered why he couldn't stay home and play.

That photo of him bored to tears is precious, lol - and, completely understandable. I'll bet he tried to get his grandmother's attention but, having failed, just gave up. I wonder how old Charles was when he was told that he would be king one day.....

It's nice to see Charles present such a raw and genuine picture of himself in lockdown. We have mostly seen, from official photos, someone who is enjoying being in a large space, but this interview presents a completely different picture that will resonate with a lot of us - even if we don't have a large outdoor space to be in during lockdown.

It's nice to see Charles present such a raw and genuine picture of himself in lockdown. We have mostly seen, from official photos, someone who is enjoying being in a large space, but this interview presents a completely different picture that will resonate with a lot of us - even if we don't have a large outdoor space to be in during lockdown.

That’s exactly it - Charles is a father, son, brother, grandfather, not just Prince of Wales, heir to the throne. He’s missing his family deeply, just like everyone is - all the luxuries he’s got can’t replace hugging his father, or anyone else he loves. Who can’t relate to him ?

That’s exactly it - Charles is a father, son, brother, grandfather, not just Prince of Wales, heir to the throne. He’s missing his family deeply, just like everyone is - all the luxuries he’s got can’t replace hugging his father, or anyone else he loves. Who can’t relate to him ?
Probably people who are self-isolating with their family and all the poor souls want is peace and quiet? :lol: (That's a joke, of course!, but I wanted to acknowledge that the lockdown can be hard on family and relationships in more ways than one.)

Wow, Charles is really emotional....

I’m lucky enough to be with my parents at this time, but I feel for him- that was a deeply personal revelation for him, and something everyone can identify with...

It is interesting how Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine are revealing small snippets of themselves in the various media and other interactions they are having these days. My guess is that they were probably always like this in their one on one interactions at royal engagements, but because this is all on vide now, we get to see it regularly.

It is interesting how Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine are revealing small snippets of themselves in the various media and other interactions they are having these days. My guess is that they were probably always like this in their one on one interactions at royal engagements, but because this is all on vide now, we get to see it regularly.

I think so. We also only ever see them together in public, never private. Moreover, while they don’t necessarily see each other all the time, at least they know they can. In this situation, they can’t - and who knows when that will change? I suspect Charles is worried about his father, who is nearing 99, and hasn’t been in the best of health. Down deep he must be worried that if something happens to him, he won’t have seen or hugged him for a long time. I think people all over the world are feeling the same thing - and it’s scary because the devastating nature of the virus means that people are losing loved ones without being able to say goodbye. I’m not saying Philip might get the virus, just that when you have an elderly parent, you want to be able to be with them in case anything should happen.

Its always been noted that Charles was a sensitive child. As an adult and the heir to the throne, when most people see him, it is in that role. Of course, there were times when his unhappiness came across quite clear in pictures during a time in his life. People have really remarked too that since his marriage to Camilla, he is more cheerful, relaxed and actually is pictured laughing a lot more.

Since Covid-19, I think a lot of people, myself included, have really felt the pinch of isolation away from loved ones. Funerals and memorial services have had to be postponed, hospitalizations and surgeries have had to be done without family visitation and joyous occasions like weddings and birthdays came and went without family gatherings. Reaching out and touching someone by phone or video chat just isn't the same as a hug and a kiss and actually being together.

This is a really terrific article on Charles....there’s so much I could quote, but

The first step was to bring Camilla out from the shadows. Once the most despised woman in the United Kingdom, she now sits at the heart of the royal family. The Duchess of Cornwall will never reach Diana-levels of adoration but has been largely accepted by the public and is one of the family's hardest workers. Polling firm YouGov says respondents describe Camilla as 'genuine', 'loyal', 'good-humoured' and 'down to earth'. That acceptance has its limits, though: a separate YouGov survey in January found only 16 per cent of people thought she should be named Queen when Charles takes the throne.

"She provides stability for Charles and she has given him confidence that he never had in his life before," Junor says. "He's one of the least-confident men you could hope to meet. His parents never really gave him confidence - he never really felt he was good enough for them - and Diana was not in a position to give him anything. Camilla has, I think, completely turned him around and made him a much happier man.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...e-public-warm-to-charles-20200601-p54yif.html

I honestly think that Charles has been the most unappreciated, underestimated, discredited and even mocked more than any other royal figure during my lifetime.

He's accomplished so much in so many different ways, has worked tirelessly and passionately on not only what is expected of him in his royal role as heir to the throne but also on his own passions which mean so much to him. He most likely will not have a long reign but it would take volumes to accurately detail his tenure as The Prince of Wales. ?

I honestly think that Charles has been the most unappreciated, underestimated, discredited and even mocked more than any other royal figure during my lifetime.

He's accomplished so much in so many different ways, has worked tirelessly and passionately on not only what is expected of him in his royal role as heir to the throne but also on his own passions which mean so much to him. He most likely will not have a long reign but it would take volumes to accurately detail his tenure as The Prince of Wales. ?

:previous:

I'm glad some people who dismissed or disliked - or detested - him are coming around. For some, he'll always be the Devil, but so be it; I'm sure Charles accepted a long time ago that he would never really be popular. That hasn't stopped him from trying to do what's right.

Here's another terrific article from the Sunday Times. I could have chosen any number of passages to quote, but I chose this one because I think his statement is worth repeating. Charles is doing as much as he can as Prince now, not just because he believes in those causes, but because he won't be able to do that when he is King.

Can I just say how much I love the ZOOM of the BRF, lol?

The prince often laughed off concerns about his passions — he once said he wrote letters to people “who pay no attention at all”. He seized the opportunity in a television documentary marking his 70th birthday to stress that he regarded the roles of prince and king as different. “You can’t be the same as the sovereign if you’re the Prince of Wales,” he told the film’s director, John Bridcut. “The idea, somehow, that I’m going to go on in exactly the same way, if I have to succeed [to the throne], is complete nonsense.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...rles-is-becoming-the-instagram-king-fvq6s6j0v

If Charles is half as able as King it will be no bad thing. This keeping out of politics is a joke. Even religion is Political and I know the main line are not supposed to be "Political" but at the time it meant Party Politics and showing public support for for a Political Party. Good heavens, who do you think inhabits the House of Lords back then!

Realistically every single issue has a Political twist to it, so much so that both Prince Philip's DOE Award scheme and 95% of what is now The Prince's Trust would have never been allowed to get off the ground today.

Poor housing - Political
Poor education - Political
Unemployed youth - Political

Etc.

Do you think either the Government or Defence Department were happy when Harry created a foundation to aid the physical or mental health of both serving military and neglected Vets? Hell no they weren't, it's one thing for anonymous people to lobby and be largely served up platitudes but not only was Harry a Prince, he was military and had served in the front lines.

Strangely, if I am not mistaken, HM was known to have "spoken" to the PM very succinctly about her concerns about the shocking shortage of effective body armour during the First Gulf War. And she was not the only one.

It was and is political and Charles nutty organic farming with old strains of seeds, work with maintaining strains of sheep, cows and beef native to the UK, etc. all things he was lambasted about but gee whizz who do you think helped reinvigorate and also represent the UK wool industry.

Artisans from his scheme to regain lost knowledge and skills are still working on the few historic buildings that survive the earthquakes here in Christchurch because the few we had left were to old to do such work.

Long may the BRF stay out of POLITICS. [emoji848]

Marg, love it ! Great points! Also, things that Charles cares about - like climate change, taking care of our planet, etc... are only political because people make them as such. It’s ridiculous not to care about issues that affect not just us but future generations. If I were British, I wouldn’t want a monarch who didn’t care ...

Just announced by Clarence House : Their Royal Highnesses will undertake their first official engagement in person since the lockdown next Thursday!

On Thursday 18th June, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will formally receive The President of the French Republic at Clarence House to celebrate the 80th anniversary of General de Gaulle’s ‘Appel’ in 1940.

Just announced by Clarence House : Their Royal Highnesses will undertake their first official engagement in person since the lockdown next Thursday!

Interesting. A French state visit to the UK was expected to take place before 2022. Now of course everything has changed , so it's maybe the only time President Macron will be hosted by British royals ...

Last edited:
So, that also means that they will be traveling back to London (or did they already return?).

Edit: this was reported by SeaOttersPebble in response to the tweet:
So i guess the RAF plane that flew in to aberdeen yesterday was picking up them both. Breaking Scottish lockdown rules again. You just don’t care do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom