General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BP is in the midst of an extensive 10 year refurbishment programme. It is unlikely to be lived in whilst the works are underway. There are no indications that, in the next and subsequent reigns, the monarch will not reside at BP.

There are rumours...and that Balmoral will be opened permanently too.

None of them want to live there. The Queen didn't. Much more economical to keep it permanently opened and use it as offices.

I doubt that Charles and Camilla will want to give up their outdoorsy lifestyle to move to central London, but I suppose they may feel obliged to do so.

I doubt that Charles and Camilla will want to give up their outdoorsy lifestyle to move to central London, but I suppose they may feel obliged to do so.

C&C divide their time primarly between Clarence House in London and Highgrove. So the move from Clarence House to BP, once Charles is King and if the renovations at BP are complete, will not require them to "give up their outdoorsy lifestyle".

They also spend time at Birkhall in Scotland over the New Year period, at Easter, and then again over the summer. They also spend a week at their home in Wales.

There are rumours...and that Balmoral will be opened permanently too.

None of them want to live there. The Queen didn't. Much more economical to keep it permanently opened and use it as offices.

There have always been rumours of what may or may not happen with regard to royal properties in the next reign. Little of what may happen is actually known. What I have read is as follows:

> C&C use BP / CH as their London home, after the BP renovations are complete

> They retain Highgrove and Birkhall

> W&C divide their time between Windsor Castle and KP. They also retain Anmer.

> C&C do not use Windsor Castle much, it largely becomes the home of the Cambridge family.

> Unclear of what comes of Sandringham House. One suggestions I have read is that it gets used as a sort of southern Dumfires House. In essence, a home for a lot of charitable endeavours.

> Similarly, I have read that Balmoral Castle may be opened up to be public as a museum for large parts of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Daily Mail story in all honesty is rubbish, the Cambridge’s don’t personally own any of those homes, they simply have access to them as they are working royals. It’s not as if the Cambridge’s bought a new house with taxpayers money. I honestly do not see the issue.

Absolutely correct. Just the Daily Mail once again stirring the pot as usual and a lot of "jealous" or royal haters jumping on the band wagon. This move was done after many talks with Queen and Prince Charles, I am sure. I too believe it is wonderful for the children's sake. JMO

The Daily Mail story in all honesty is rubbish, the Cambridge’s don’t personally own any of those homes, they simply have access to them as they are working royals. It’s not as if the Cambridge’s bought a new house with taxpayers money. I honestly do not see the issue.

No they have not purchased another home but as stated in Richard Kay's article, the couple are paying the at market rent for the property and are bearing the costs of moving themselves. The SG money is not being used at all.

No they have not purchased another home but as stated in Richard Kay's article, the couple are paying the at market rent for the property and are bearing the costs of moving themselves. The SG money is not being used at all.
What I was saying is that it really isn’t a big deal to be complaining about the move.

I just do not see how the cost of living crises has anything to do with renting Adelaide Cottage.

Has anybody made any enquiries of how many properties Richard Kay owns and uses, and where his children are educated, or how many holidays he has in a year?

I think a better comparison would be to another royal:

When Prince Charles was married to Diana, how many homes did they maintain? Since Prince William is the next heir, I think this is the most fair comparison.

To a lessor extend, how many homes did Prince Andrew, Princess Anne and Prince Edward maintain? They are not in direct line of succession, so I don't think it is a fair comparison but certainly more fair than comparing to Richard Kay.

After all William and Kate are Royals and not like the rest of us. Most people will try to find school close to home and not the other way around.

As wealthy Royals, they have the freedom and privilege to select the best school for their children and then move to a house that is closer to that school.

My husband got accepted to a very prestigious High School when he was young that was an hour away. Did his parents move? Of course not! He commuted b/c the education was worth it.

You can't be supporting Monarchy and then whine that these people are behaving in a Royal way.

I think a better comparison would be to another royal:

When Prince Charles was married to Diana, how many homes did they maintain? Since Prince William is the next heir, I think this is the most fair comparison.

To a lessor extend, how many homes did Prince Andrew, Princess Anne and Prince Edward maintain? They are not in direct line of succession, so I don't think it is a fair comparison but certainly more fair than comparing to Richard Kay.

After all William and Kate are Royals and not like the rest of us. Most people will try to find school close to home and not the other way around.

As wealthy Royals, they have the freedom and privilege to select the best school for their children and then move to a house that is closer to that school.

My husband got accepted to a very prestigious High School when he was young that was an hour away. Did his parents move? Of course not! He commuted b/c the education was worth it.

You can't be supporting Monarchy and then whine that these people are behaving in a Royal way.

They didn’t find a school and move to be near it. They made a family decision to leave London as they thought it would be best for the children to be outside it.

It means little to me. They won’t live in Kensington now it’s just for work.

It’s a very slow news day to honest of they are having a go at this. The house lay there empty anyway. What does it matter.

Charles has the following homes:

Highgrove - rented from the Duchy of Cornwall

CH - replaced his apartment at KP that he shared with Diana and then his apartment at St James' that he moved into after the separation before moving to CH

Birkhall on the Balmoral estate that he took over from the Queen Mum who had lived in it since the death of George VI.

His home in Wales

His home in Romania

William has:

KP apartment

Anmer - like Birkhall a house on the private estate of the Queen

His home on the Balmoral Estate

Now Adelaide Cottage.

Charles as heir apparent now has 5 homes (4 in the UK and one in Romania). One of these is on the Queen's private estate, two are owned outright, one is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and one is part of the Crown Estate

William as 2nd in line has 4 homes all in the UK. Two of those are on the Queen's private estates while two are from the Crown Estates.

The only homes supported by the Sovereign Grant are CH and KP.

Richard Palmer of Express tweeted that Tam-Na-Ghar is currently let out to someone else.

Since Charles seems to prefer Birkhall, so maybe the Cambridge will move to the big house when in Balmoral which understandable with the kids and Charles' age (a bit inconvenient if he moves from Birkhall)

CH - replaced his apartment at KP that he shared with Diana and then his apartment at St James' that he moved into after the separation before moving to CH

Birkhall on the Balmoral estate that he took over from the Queen Mum who had lived in it since the death of George VI.

His home in Wales

His home in Romania

William has:

KP apartment

Anmer - like Birkhall a house on the private estate of the Queen

His home on the Balmoral Estate

Now Adelaide Cottage.

Charles as heir apparent now has 5 homes (4 in the UK and one in Romania). One of these is on the Queen's private estate, two are owned outright, one is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and one is part of the Crown Estate

William as 2nd in line has 4 homes all in the UK. Two of those are on the Queen's private estates while two are from the Crown Estates.

The only homes supported by the Sovereign Grant are CH and KP.

There has never been any official confirmation from the Palace that Tam-na-Ghar, the cottage on the Balmoral estate, is only used by the Cambridge family. It may well have been used by William for some time whilst he was at university, but that was almost 20 years ago. We do not know how this cottage, along with a lot of the other properties on the Balmoral estate, are used on an ongoing basis. That said, we do know that quite a lot of the properties are let out commercially, some as holiday lets.

His home in Wales

His home in Romania

Which two properties are owned outright by Charles? I thought the Duchy owned Highgrove, the property in Wales and Romania.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a lot of talk on Sky News last night about it looking bad to have 3 homes. I don't see why they need to keep Anmer. They need a base in London, but why do they need one in Norfolk?

Well, they put quite a bit of their own money into refurbishing and decorating it didn't they? And it's probably an important place to their kids, since it's where they've spent a lot of time. Plus, it's where they go for Christmas and school holidays. Doesn't really make sense to give it up.

The Windsor move seems strategic to me for many reasons. One, it does allow them to choose a school close by all three kids can go to through age 13. So you're looking at nine years until Prince Louis is through.

Two, their new school has the flexible boarding option. I think they're not the type to send their young kids off to board full time, but this way, if the kids want, they could ease in- say, stay one night a week when they're younger and gradually increase if they want to.

Three, they are close to Kate's family, who are her trusted inner circle and who allow for some private and happy time for all.

Four, they're near the Queen, especially if her health takes a turn.

They seem to have been thoughtful in selecting a reasonably sized property that didn't need major renovations and paying rent for it.

Last edited:
I do not trust the News Media and I am convinced that they keep people famous when they sell copy now or the editors feel that the famous person (or even occasion) will sell copy in the future.

I'm not sure why a French station should be so interested in the British Royal Family, but evidently they are.l

Quite different from the English media, which rotates more or less only around the Windsors, th media in Europeland is more about the myth Monarchy and here in Germany docus about foreign Royals are quite common, especially in public broadcasting.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge sent a message to the President of Pakistan following the devastating floods in the country:

** Message **

It’s being reported that the Cambridge family have now moved into Adelaide Cottage.

(The children are due to start at Lambrook next Thursday.)

The property was re-painted … I think that means the interiors … and the existing furniture and fixtures are being retained, rather than replaced.

Well, they put quite a bit of their own money into refurbishing and decorating it didn't they? And it's probably an important place to their kids, since it's where they've spent a lot of time. Plus, it's where they go for Christmas and school holidays. Doesn't really make sense to give it up.

The Windsor move seems strategic to me for many reasons. One, it does allow them to choose a school close by all three kids can go to through age 13. So you're looking at nine years until Prince Louis is through.

Two, their new school has the flexible boarding option. I think they're not the type to send their young kids off to board full time, but this way, if the kids want, they could ease in- say, stay one night a week when they're younger and gradually increase if they want to.

Three, they are close to Kate's family, who are her trusted inner circle and who allow for some private and happy time for all.

Four, they're near the Queen, especially if her health takes a turn.

They seem to have been thoughtful in selecting a reasonably sized property that didn't need major renovations and paying rent for it.

Five, they are mostly out of the spotlight, so they don’t outshine Charles and Camilla.

To me the move makes absolutely no sense.

1. They already had a home in the country that they could retreat to on the weekends.

2. They're busier than ever especially as the Queen's health declines and their workload increases. A London base just makes sense for the majority of the week anyway. Furthermore their team, secretary, PR people and advisors are all based at KP.

3. Kate's family is still far away. To me "closer" would be a 10 minute drive instead of the over 30 mile drive away.

4. The kids' new school is a 9 mile drive from their new home. Again not exactly convenient.

5. The kids seemed to enjoyed living in London. There were reports of Kate taking the kids shopping and her taking Charlotte to shows in London.

Just my 2 cents

1. They already had a home in the country that they could retreat to on the weekends.

2. They're busier than ever especially as the Queen's health declines and their workload increases. A London base just makes sense for the majority of the week anyway. Furthermore their team, secretary, PR people and advisors are all based at KP.

3. Kate's family is still far away. To me "closer" would be a 10 minute drive instead of the over 30 mile drive away.

4. The kids' new school is a 9 mile drive from their new home. Again not exactly convenient.

5. The kids seemed to enjoyed living in London. There were reports of Kate taking the kids shopping and her taking Charlotte to shows in London.

Just my 2 cents
presumably they know themselves if they will prefer living at Windsor to London.. and have made the choice based on evaluating hte pluses and minuses

Just my 2 cents

Windsor's only an hour away from central London. They can go to the shops and shows at weekends. Nine miles is not a long drive for a private school, and even the 40 miles to Bucklebury isn't that far. Compared to the traffic in London, where getting anywhere takes ages, that's not bad.

Just my 2 cents

Windsor is really a suburb of London. Presumably they don't want a situation like what happened to Euan Blair years ago when he went out to celebrate his GCSE's, got drunk, friends left him, he was discovered by police slumped in a door way in Leicster Square. To be fair to him he still refused to give the address to his house.

The children will have far more normal experience there amd its the perfect year to move them school wise.

Windsor's only an hour away from central London. They can go to the shops and shows at weekends. Nine miles is not a long drive for a private school, and even the 40 miles to Bucklebury isn't that far. Compared to the traffic in London, where getting anywhere takes ages, that's not bad.

It's only takes about 45 minutes to drive from Windsor to Bucklebury, I've done it

On Google Maps a different building is mentioned as Adelaide Cottage than the position that the DM indicates on their map, which seems to be this building. The one on 'Adelaide Square' seems a bit more private.

Adelaide Square is in Windsor itself. Different place.

I was referring to the link that has '19 Adelaide Square' as address of the house but an address on 'Prince Albert's Walk' seems more likely (the other house would be the one on Queen Victoria's walk).

Last edited:

Just my 2 cents
I disagree. As a parent, I can understand why the family is opting for a school which all three will attend and is a shorter commute time wise. It will take them less time driving to their new school than it did during the heavy London rush hour. The kids will have school half day on Saturday so the family will not likely be making frequent trips to Sandringham except for longer term breaks. The kids will probably be participating in some team sports activities on the weekends as well.
Plus they will have a shorter commute to the Middleton's home as they are now in the same county.

The hub of the monarchy has shifted from London to Windsor now at this time in the Queen's reign. The Cambridges are a ten minute walk from WC. As for their offices at KP, the pandemic has proven that it's possible to communicate and work with staff remotely. After 2 and a half years, I trust that the Cambridges and their team, are used to meeting virtually and that things run efficiently.

Last edited:
I was referring to the link that has '19 Adelaide Square' as address of the house but an address on 'Prince Albert's Walk' seems more likely (the other house would be the one on Queen Victoria's walk).

That is their house on Queen Victoria Walk. The house is on the Datchet village side.

That is their house on Queen Victoria Walk. The house is on the Datchet village side.

Thanks FigTree for clarifying the location.

Can now see on Google Earth that the property on Queen Victoria Walk matches the available photos of Adelaide Cottage.

Can’t understand why the wrong location has been shown, not just by some newspapers, but also some of the glossies … though they may just have reproduced the mistake.

Thanks for bringing this up Somebody.

The correct location looks much more open than the one enclosed by trees.

Four photos from Matrix, more or less the same, but one shows how close they are to the Thames River - (though it’s pretty zoomed-in I think.)

https://www.matrixpictures.com.au/image/I0000eDrDYF7Maq8

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom