General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge as joint Patrons of NHS Charities Together sent a Christmas message of support for the NHS workforce:

** Message **

The crisis would be if it crashed and the entire family died leaving two unpopular adults (for very different reasons etc) next in line, plus the children obviously.

If such a tragedy ever did occur, I suspect it would spell the end of the monarchy.

William and Catherine did NOT go out either. They did zoom meetings or phone calls. When they could go out and meet people and be seen they have chosen to not do so but to stay out home. As the older royals started to go out and about the Cambridge's decided to stay at home and not even do as many zoom meetings.

They did do some "out" meetings such as visiting a hospital in the early weeks of the pandemic... which atracted some criticism... but I think it was necessary for them to make some real life visits to help support people who could not stay at home. THey also did a trip to Scotland later on in the pandemic.

If such a tragedy ever did occur, I suspect it would spell the end of the monarchy.

Certainlly it would cause difficulty but the monarchy is a strong system and I think the RF would find a way round things. However I think that Will and K shouldnt' fly frequently with their kids

Last edited by a moderator:
William and Catherine did NOT go out either. They did zoom meetings or phone calls. When they could go out and meet people and be seen they have chosen to not do so but to stay out home. As the older royals started to go out and about the Cambridge's decided to stay at home and not even do as many zoom meetings.
This is false. The Cambridges DID go out on multiple occasions. I for one was very vocal in my criticism of them going out when the recommendation was for people to stay home.

Maybe many of the events HRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were going to do were cancel due to COVID? Or maybe they're worried that they'd be too far away from home if their children's school suddenly shuts down for the same reason?

Their numbers decreasing is concerning, but I believe that they are significant background reasons for it rather than HRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge shirking off their responsibilities.

HenRach Dominion-You bring up a very good point about the impacted events throughout the pandemic. A point which I believe could be applied to all members of the BRF or other royals around the globe. We'll likely never know exactly how many events were postponed, rescheduled or cancelled all together because someone who was to be involved tested positive or became ill. I'm recalling when Catherine had to leave Wimbledon 2021 early in the tournament because she received a ping informing her that she'd been exposed. We do know that large scale events ie tours, state visits the Olympics etc..were postponed or cancelled but quite likely there were many smaller day and evening engagements that had to be removed from schedules at the last minute. For this reason, I truly believe that this has impacted all royals' activities and that many of the prospective engagements involving everyone's charities and other activities were simply moved to a "to be determined" list. After all these organizations and charities are the ones who have to spend the time and money for to plan them so smaller ones might not be able to afford risk that the event could be cancelled at the last minute. Finally during this time, it's hard to imagine certain organizations involving vulnerable people ie healthcare or hospices really wanting an in person royal visit with the press pack. They might have been content with a short private one but those don't make the Court Circular typically.

HenRach Dominion-You bring up a very good point about the impacted events throughout the pandemic. A point which I believe could be applied to all members of the BRF or other royals around the globe. We'll likely never know exactly how many events were postponed, rescheduled or cancelled all together because someone who was to be involved tested positive or became ill. I'm recalling when Catherine had to leave Wimbledon 2021 early in the tournament because she received a ping informing her that she'd been exposed. We do know that large scale events ie tours, state visits the Olympics etc..were postponed or cancelled but quite likely there were many smaller day and evening engagements that had to be removed from schedules at the last minute. For this reason, I truly believe that this has impacted all royals' activities and that many of the prospective engagements involving everyone's charities and other activities were simply moved to a "to be determined" list. After all these organizations and charities are the ones who have to spend the time and money for to plan them so smaller ones might not be able to afford risk that the event could be cancelled at the last minute. Finally during this time, it's hard to imagine certain organizations involving vulnerable people ie healthcare or hospices really wanting an in person royal visit with the press pack. They might have been content with a short private one but those don't make the Court Circular typically.

Another good argument that could be made about the kids and rapid developments in school etc that would need the parents to be there for the kids is that the Cambridges do have Nanny Maria on hand and could handle anything that happened. My opposing viewpoint to that would be that William and Catherine have *always* stressed that it's "family first". This is one aspect of the couple that I admire. They do seem to have struck, at least to me, a good balance of family and public life and that isn't always easy to do when you're in the public eye practically 24/7 and if one burps, it's heard around the world in seconds. :D

Forgot to add my own theory on the BRF and their engagement numbers in my previous post. A simple theory which is that the more patronages, charities and military appointments that you've gained over the decades will definitely place you at the higher end of the tally. After all the Court Circular entries frequently mention that the royal is at an event as they're the Patron/President/Honorary Military rank. It never surprises me that the Queen, PoW, Princess Royal are frequently at the top of the tally as they are the Patrons/Presidents/Honorary Military Ranks of hundreds of organizations.

If you wish to continue discussing the number of engagements the Cambridges have done, please do so here.

The discussion about the line of succession and what would happen during a constitutional crisis, should be taken to this thread.

Another good argument that could be made about the kids and rapid developments in school etc that would need the parents to be there for the kids is that the Cambridges do have Nanny Maria on hand and could handle anything that happened. My opposing viewpoint to that would be that William and Catherine have *always* stressed that it's "family first". This is one aspect of the couple that I admire. They do seem to have struck, at least to me, a good balance of family and public life and that isn't always easy to do when you're in the public eye practically 24/7 and if one burps, it's heard around the world in seconds. :D

I agree, I also IMO believe that they have the support of the queen in these matters. I honestly believe that she wants them to have as much time as possible with their young family while they can.
She knows more than any of us of the sacrifices within the family once everything steps to the next level.
Having said that I still also think that there is more work going on behind the scenes than we know.

That's a really lovely photo!

Lovely photo. Perfect for the new year greeting.

It will be interesting to see what 2022 holds for the Cambridges. They've definitely stepped out of the box this year and definitely gone a bit "celebrity"/ Hollywood. I think they've realized that it is not enough to simply carry out royal duties but people like a bit of star pizzaz. It helps to keep them relevant and on people's minds.

A good choice of photo for their twitter account. They look relaxed and happy.

Lovely photo. Perfect for the new year greeting.

It will be interesting to see what 2022 holds for the Cambridges. They've definitely stepped out of the box this year and definitely gone a bit "celebrity"/ Hollywood. I think they've realized that it is not enough to simply carry out royal duties but people like a bit of star pizzaz. It helps to keep them relevant and on people's minds.

I disagree with the term "celebrity" or "Hollywood " when describing reigning royals. Generations of royals across the globe have been known to attend high profile glamorous public events for decades, but I would not consider that celebrity behavior. I would consider a "celebrity" to be someone who is actively seeking to promote and seek fame for themselves, rather than a royal who in attendance there to represent their nation.

Last edited:
I agree with TLLK on the "celebrity" angle. If anything, I think the way the galas and the red carpets and the adoring fans hanging around outside for celebrities probably are actually copy cat practices swiped from the world of royalty not so very long ago.

It was to see kings and queens in all their finery that drew the attention and limelight. Hollywood picked it up for it's "stars".

One of the best pictures I have seen of both of them and it is happy, glittery and fun, just right for wishes for our new year. Happy and healthy New Year to you all!

I disagree with the term "celebrity" or "Hollywood " when describing reigning royals. Generations of royals across the globe have been known to attend high profile glamorous public events for decades, but I would not consider that celebrity behavior. I would consider a "celebrity" to be someone who is actively seeking to promote and seek fame for themselves, rather than a royal who in attendance there to represent their nation.
Reread my post again. I never said them attending "high profile glamorous public events" made them more "celebrity" or "Hollywood"-like.

For me, it is a composition of several factors. For example, they hired a professional filmmaking and production company to make a movie of their family life, posing and releasing black and white photos that even the British deemed "Hollywood" (at least when done by the Sussexes did it), and even the selfie video made by Catherine earlier in the year..

2021 was the year they changed their branding and it definitely incorporated behaviors- things not surprisingly done by Hollywood stars.

Last edited:
Reread my post again. I never said them attending "high profile glamorous public events" made them more "celebrity" or "Hollywood"-like.

For me, it is a composition of several factors. For example, they hired a professional filmmaking and production company to make a movie of their family life, posing and releasing black and white that the British deemed "Hollywood" (at least when done by the Sussexes), and even the selfie video made by Catherine earlier in the year..

2021 was the year they changed their branding and it definitely incorporated behaviors- things not surprisingly done by Hollywood stars.

I did read it very carefully prior to responding. You and I will simply have to agree to disagree on royals as "celebrities."

I agree with TLLK on the "celebrity" angle. If anything, I think the way the galas and the red carpets and the adoring fans hanging around outside for celebrities probably are actually copy cat practices swiped from the world of royalty not so very long ago.

It was to see kings and queens in all their finery that drew the attention and limelight. Hollywood picked it up for it's "stars".

Thanks ? Osipi and I agree with you 100%.

Happy New Year from the Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge!!

Lovely photo of the Cambridges all "glammed" up. I believe it was taken back in September the evening they attended the world premiere of Daniel Craig's James Bond movie "No Time to Die". The event was a charity benefit supporting serving and former members of the three intelligence agencies: the Secret Intelligence Service, the Security Service, and @GCHQ. Great choice of photos to wish us all a Happy New Year!!

For me, it is a composition of several factors. For example, they hired a professional filmmaking and production company to make a movie of their family life, posing and releasing black and white photos that even the British deemed "Hollywood" (at least when done by the Sussexes did it), and even the selfie video made by Catherine earlier in the year..

Alisa-It's not uncommon for royals around the globe to utilize the skills of a professional film/production company to capture their activities throughout the year or to go "behind the scenes" especially when a royal or a couple reach a significant milestone ie: wedding anniversaries, significant birthdays or dates of ascension.This has been occurring for well over a century now as royals made use of the latest technology to reach their citizens. If you choose to take the opportunity to look back at the various forums and threads for our reigning/non-reigning royal families, there are
many, many examples of documentaries and short clips. Here's one dedicated to the Swedish royal family. https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f120/tv-interviews-videos-and-documentaries-17611.html

BTW if you choose to take the opportunity to review some of the older Cambridge and other BRF threads, you'll see examples of all of them using black and white photos ie: Princess Charlotte's baptism and participating in short videos of their work that occurred well before Prince Harry met Ms. Meghan Markle. This was not a "branding" change but simply reusing different mediums from the past.

An example of British royals using video compilation to celebrate a milestone event was in 2021. The late Duke of Edinburgh had such a program being created to celebrate his milestone 100th birthday and even though he passed prior to his June birth date, we still have the footage and it was incorportated into a program with his children,in-laws, grandchildren and German relatives participating.

There will be plenty of programs to celebrate the upcoming Jubilees of two reigning Queens this year and I hardly would consider this to be "Hollywood." It's merely a practice that has been in place for over a century now and will likely continue into the future.

[.....]

I thought the photo of HRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge was gorgeous. It shows that, come hell or high water, they are a team and will always have each other's backs. It maybe be me reading too much into it, but I feel that The Cambridges' relationship will end up as filled with steadiness and loyalty as HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh's marriage was.

Another piece about Catherine. This one is by Valentine Low in which the "royal insiders" are Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton (their former private secretary), Robert Lacey (author), and Sir David Manning (the former British ambassador in Washington and former adviser to the Cambridges and Harry).

Duchess of Cambridge at 40: queen of style with a familiar flash of steel

Archive

(...)

Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, 61, who was private secretary to the Cambridges and Prince Harry and used to work for the*Queen Mother, told The Times: “When I was a 23-year-old I was the Queen Mother’s*equerry for a couple of years. The duchess reminds me so much of her.”

The Queen Mother never expected to be queen. But after it was forced upon her in 1936 by*Edward VIII’s abdication, she threw herself into the role without hesitation.

That same dedication, Lowther-Pinkerton argues, can be seen in the duchess. “In a funny sort of way, she has got the same temperament. Like the Queen Mother, she is incredibly polite to everybody. She takes time to talk to people. She is tough. She has got that Queen Mother feel in her, so that when things need doing, she is there do them.”

(...)

The duchess’s strength of character was shown most starkly when a French magazine published topless pictures of her in 2012, while the Cambridges were on a tour of southeast Asia. William was visibly upset by what happened. But according to Lowther-Pinkerton, it was the duchess’s resolve not to let it ruin the tour that helped to keep the show on the road.

“That tour could have gone pretty weird,” he said. “It could have not worked at all if she had not shown that steel edge. It was, ‘Come on these things happen . . . Let’s not be distracted.’

“We took the lead off her. She took up the leadership role, which was to buckle up and get on with it — just like the Queen Mother.”

(...)

I have to say that tour has solidified my admiration on her. She really has proven her strength (and character) in that tour. This lady is a tough cookies with a spine of steel!

In this narration information is given as to when the photograph of Prince William and Catherine was first taken.

I thought the photo of HRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge was gorgeous. It shows that, come hell or high water, they are a team and will always have each other's backs. It maybe be me reading too much into it, but I feel that The Cambridges' relationship will end up as filled with steadiness and loyalty as HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh's marriage was.

We must be reading the same page. There's just something about this couple that screams "you n' me against the world" that is such a rarity in these times. I've often seen this couple exhibit a likeness to Bertie and Elizabeth and their two daughters that they, themselves described as being "we four" only with the Cambridge family, it'd be "we five".

We must be reading the same page. There's just something about this couple that screams "you n' me against the world" that is such a rarity in these times. I've often seen this couple exhibit a likeness to Bertie and Elizabeth and their two daughters that they, themselves described as being "we four" only with the Cambridge family, it'd be "we five".

Those are the words I had for my now-husband when we took our relationship to the next level and on our wedding day - "it's us against the world". And that has been our motto now for almost 14 years. My parents, twin sister and Mil/FIL all said the same thing - when they see us together, we are a team, not two individual people in a marriage. I see this with W&C and I wouldn't be surprised she muttered those words to William before their wedding.

Is this the first time they've released a photo on New Years?

In this narration information is given as to when the photograph of Prince William and Catherine was first taken.

I was pretty sure that's when this great photo was taken. I had mentioned this just a few posts back #1793. Thanks for the video Cyril.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom