Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something else manufactured so they can clutch their pearls over it.

Supposedly since her baby shower was in neutral colors that somehow has turned into she and Harry are going to raise a gender neutral baby...silliest nonsense I've ever heard.

LaRae

I've been of the same train of thought. Meghan will do well to learn from Harry how to "smoke out" leakers to the press. Many of her friends are long time fiends going back 9-15-20 years, however, someone in her friend group is talking and she needs to find out who.

BTW...I'm glad that KP debunked the gender fluid story, but that doesn't stop the tabs from posting it and keeping it up on their websites (looking at you DM).

BTW...also, many parents do gender neutral (grey, yellow, green, etc) and let their children play with gender neutral toys. It really is a storm in a teacup. What I think this is showing us is that Harry and Meghan will tolerate lies printed about them, however, from the looks of it, they are going to be fiercely protective of their child/children and won't tolerate the press going after them.

Gender fluid and gender neutral are two entirely, vastly different things.

I don’t think friends or even a friend leaked anything. I think It was made it up because an editor wanted a headline grabbing story to run. I don’t believe either Meghan or Harry would use their child this way-for a leaked story that was so divisive.

Last edited:
If they have a girl I'm hoping they can work in the name "Maud" somewhere.

"Maud" is a nickname for "Matilda," who was Queen Consort of England:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_of_Boulogne

Meghan seems like a much paler version of her. But this is the real reason "Maud" is my new favorite name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Heath's_Causeway

I so love what Maud did, but also that for 500 years the locals in her community, without receiving much attention or applause for it, have honored her wish to support her community.

I have some more guesses.

Boy: Frederick Philip David
Girl: Isabella Alexandra Rachel

My friend has this listed as her predictions.
Boy: Zachary Philip James
Girl: Annabelle Victoria Jane

I have some more guesses.

Boy: Frederick Philip David
Girl: Isabella Alexandra Rachel

My friend has this listed as her predictions.
Boy: Zachary Philip James
Girl: Annabelle Victoria Jane

Ktptbi, The name of Isabella is nice because there has been a Queen Consort of England named Isabella.

Interesting stories about the two women, Matilda and Maud, Oona.
I see Matilda being used more than Maud. There is already young Maud Windsor.

Matilda Elizabeth Ruth Doria
Frances Matilda Harriet Louise

There are so many nice names.

Ktptbi, The name of Isabella is nice because there has been a Queen Consort of England named Isabella.

Three in fact :flowers: John, Edward II and Richard II were all married to women named Isabella. Actually both of John's wives were Isabella, but the first was prior to his succession to the throne.

If they have a girl I'm hoping they can work in the name "Maud" somewhere.

"Maud" is a nickname for "Matilda," who was Queen Consort of England:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_of_Boulogne

Meghan seems like a much paler version of her. But this is the real reason "Maud" is my new favorite name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Heath's_Causeway

I so love what Maud did, but also that for 500 years the locals in her community, without receiving much attention or applause for it, have honored her wish to support her community.

Maud is a bit too old fashioned of a first name IMO for them to choose. Not one of those classic names that have come back too popular yet. Even if they were going to over look Freddie Windsor's daughter. Though they may, as names are reused often enough.

If they were going to honor Queen Matilda though I'd think they'd use Matilda. There were three queen consorts with the name Matilda, and of course empress Matilda. The one you mentioned (wife of Stephen) and the wives of Henry I and William the Conqueror.

Maud would be more of a nod to the wife of Henry I. She was the only one more commonly called Maude. While the other two were French, Henry's wife was Scottish. Maud wasn't a common French nickname for Matilda, it was though in the British isles.

More recently we have Edward VII's daughter Maud who became Queen of Norway. And her niece Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk.

I think Harry and Meghan will be bringing up this child and any future children they may have to be fully who they are and to embrace who they are; to be fearless, courageous, and kind.

Some additional name suggestions I've been thinking about:

Delphinia Frances Jeanette

Deandra Elizabeth Henrietta

Philip Albert Charles

Apparently, Harry joked about having at least two children, maybe more:
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...prince-harry-meghan-markle-another-baby-joke/

With this wide-legged stance, I think Meghan is definitely feeling the baby in these last weeks. Not far to go now:
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...1744.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*

Patrick J. Adams of Suits has also recently joked with reporters about his and wife (Troian Bellisario's) baby girl, born in October, havng future playdates with Meghan's baby. Scroll down in the first article link to see the video with Patrick & Troian, which also includes Sarah Rafferty:
https://www.etonline.com/meghan-mar...-musical-ahead-of-baby-sussexs-arrival-120848
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrit...kes-about-playdates-with-meghan-markles-baby/

Last edited:
:previous: If they go radically, like Anne, and ignore the family tree, I doubt they will go with something like Delphina. Deandra??? I'd be expecting something either from the 'popular baby names' list or something found among Harry's friends kids and such.

I still think they will choose something family tree, but more abranch then George and Charlotte.

Three in fact :flowers: John, Edward II and Richard II were all married to women named Isabella. Actually both of John's wives were Isabella, but the first was prior to his succession to the throne.

Maud is a bit too old fashioned of a first name IMO for them to choose. Not one of those classic names that have come back too popular yet. Even if they were going to over look Freddie Windsor's daughter. Though they may, as names are reused often enough.

If they were going to honor Queen Matilda though I'd think they'd use Matilda. There were three queen consorts with the name Matilda, and of course empress Matilda. The one you mentioned (wife of Stephen) and the wives of Henry I and William the Conqueror.

Maud would be more of a nod to the wife of Henry I. She was the only one more commonly called Maude. While the other two were French, Henry's wife was Scottish. Maud wasn't a common French nickname for Matilda, it was though in the British isles.

More recently we have Edward VII's daughter Maud who became Queen of Norway. And her niece Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk.

Maud wasn't a nickname for Matilda. Both were English variants of the Germanic name Mahthildis.

Because medieval documents were recorded in Latin (including names) we don't actually know the name the Empress and her mother were known by. One English historian might translate the Latin version (Matilda, just as it is in English) as Matilda/Mathilda and another as Maud/Maude, while French historians would translate it as Mathilde or Mahaut, German historians as Mathilde or Mechthild, etc. To give another example, one historian might translate Jacobus as Jacob and another as James. So it depends on who's doing the translating.

We also have to take into account medieval versus modern variants. For example, today English-speaking historians translate the Latin name Edwardus as Edward (the contemporary English name) but in Anglo-Saxon times the correct spelling was Eadweard.

:previous: If they go radically, like Anne, and ignore the family tree, I doubt they will go with something like Delphina. Deandra??? I'd be expecting something either from the 'popular baby names' list or something found among Harry's friends kids and such.

I still think they will choose something family tree, but more abranch then George and Charlotte.

Ah, it's all fun speculation, innit? ?

What 'abranch' do you have in mind?

Something more relatable like, Amelia Diana Jeanette, perhaps? Or by 'family tree,' do you mean royal family tree, rather than Ragland-Markle family tree? ;)

In any case, the Markle family tree does connect to Windsors via the Mortimer-Wentworth-Seymour-Spencer family lines tracing back to King Edward III:
https://www.americanancestors.org/Royal-Ancestry-of-Meghan-Markle.aspx
Click on the pdf download in the above link to see the amazing family tree

Checking some of the female names, here are 'family tree' possibilities:
Elizabeth, Joan, Isabel, Jane, Mary, Isabella, Philippa, Margery, Letitia, Anna, Anne, Adelaide, Juliana, Carolina, Rosalind, Ruth, Cecilia, Margaret, Diana, Nina, Charlotte, Penelope, Cynthia, Elinor, Louisa, Dorothy, et al.

I kind of like Rosalind, Cynthia, Juliana, Margery, Elinor or Eleanora, and Cecilia. I can see them going for Isabel or Isabella too.

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe Harry and Meghan will name their daughter (if its a girl) after a flower or plant. Rosemary, Lily, Violet, Holly etc. It would be a silent not to Doria who calls Meghan "Flower".

It won't be too long now until we find out. :D

:previous: i'm willing to bet it won't be "Hyacinth" :lol: (for those who remember "keeping up appearances")

Well, the oldest sister of Queen Mother, who died from diphtheria at the age of eleven and a half, was named Violet Hyacinth.

Well, the oldest sister of Queen Mother, who died from diphtheria at the age of eleven and a half, was named Violet Hyacinth.
I'm sure that Baby Sussex will have room for several ponies

Ah, it's all fun speculation, innit? ?

What 'abranch' do you have in mind?

Something more relatable like, Amelia Diana Jeanette, perhaps? Or by 'family tree,' do you mean royal family tree, rather than Ragland-Markle family tree? ;)

In any case, the Markle family tree does connect to Windsors via the Mortimer-Wentworth-Seymour-Spencer family lines tracing back to King Edward III:
https://www.americanancestors.org/Royal-Ancestry-of-Meghan-Markle.aspx
Click on the pdf download in the above link to see the amazing family tree

Checking some of the female names, here are 'family tree' possibilities:
Elizabeth, Joan, Isabel, Jane, Mary, Isabella, Philippa, Margery, Letitia, Anna, Anne, Adelaide, Juliana, Carolina, Rosalind, Ruth, Cecilia, Margaret, Diana, Nina, Charlotte, Penelope, Cynthia, Elinor, Louisa, Dorothy, et al.

I kind of like Rosalind, Cynthia, Juliana, Margery, Elinor or Eleanora, and Cecilia. I can see them going for Isabel or Isabella too.

For the first name??? Royal family tree, or at least Spencer.

By more abranch I meant not the Hannoverian names like George that have been reused over and over again in the past generations. There are a whole tree of family names (many of which you just suggested) that have a huge royal pedigree but haven't been used in some time.

I do think we will see Doria as a middle name. I don't think Meghan's family will be over looked.

Doubt we will see Philippa, or hope not. Media will have a field day about 'they named the baby for Pippa'. And how Pippa was the one to get away and so on (remember the Harry/Pippa stories post wedding). :whistling:

Maybe, just maybe Harry and Meghan will name their daughter (if its a girl) after a flower or plant. Rosemary, Lily, Violet, Holly etc. It would be a silent not to Doria who calls Meghan "Flower".

It won't be too long now until we find out.

I know Harry is friendly with Camilla but not sure he would use such an obvious nod to Camilla as Rosemary. It is her middle name and her mother's name.

Rose would be lovely, like Margaret Rose. The Queen mother had sisters named Rose and Violet so both could be seen as a nod to her. Violet is my grandmother's name.

I would love them to go for a Scottish name. Nod to the family's Scottish origins especially through the queen mother. Beyond Charles, there has not been a real nod. Malcolm and Keneth are both royal names and names found in the queen mum's family (brothers of her father).

I beg your pardon?

I assume a bad joke that Violet Hyacinth sounds like a horse's name not a human.

I don't think Hyacinth is modern/fashionable enough to be chosen.

Last edited:
:previous: i'm willing to bet it won't be "Hyacinth" :lol: (for those who remember "keeping up appearances")

I'm sure that Baby Sussex will have room for several ponies

I beg your pardon?

I assume a bad joke that Violet Hyacinth sounds like a horse's name not a human.

OT but to prevent people getting offended:
Keeping up appearances was a tv comedy about a family of very different sisters.
The eldest called Hyacinth (married to Richard Bucket, which she insisted on pronouncing "Bouquet") was the biggest snob in England and almost posher than the Queen herself
The one sister who was somewhat up to her posh standards was Violet. When Violet phoned her, Hyacinth would refer to other people around "it's my sister Violet, the one with room for a pony" (meaning she had a big house and grounds, which Hyacinth obviously preferred to her other two more working class sisters)

Hence the joke about the pony (but if you don't know the comedy you wouldn't get it ;) )

okay, back to baby Doriana (which i still believe will be the name)

Last edited:
OT but to prevent people getting offended:
Keeping up appearances was a tv comedy about a family of very different sisters.
The eldest called Hyacinth (married to Richard Bucket, which she insisted on pronouncing "Bouquet") was the biggest snob in England and almost posher than the Queen herself
The one sister who was somewhat up to her posh standards was Violet. When Violet phoned her, Hyacinth would refer to other people around "it's my sister Violet, the one with room for a pony" (meaning she had a big house and grounds, which Hyacinth obviously preferred to her other two more working class sisters)

Hence the joke about the pony (but if you don't know the comedy you wouldn't get it ;) )

okay, back to baby Doriana (which i still believe will be the name)

I used to watch Keeping up Appearances and I didn’t get the reference either.

I’m still rooting for Lois or Leopold..

And how was Carnaval for you?? Apparently they were throwing out teddies this year in Heerlen. I myself went into hiding... ;)

For a Prince: Donald
Princess Beatrice and Prince Henry of Battenberg used Donald as middle name for their son Prince Maurice: Maurice Victor Donald.

Princess Beatrice and Prince Henry of Battenberg used Donald as middle name for their son Prince Maurice: Maurice Victor Donald.

I think at this point in time, Donald is totally out of the question!

I'm finding it very difficult to even guess in which direction Meghan or Harry will go when choosing a baby name. I would think it will be a classical name but not necessarily a traditionally English name perhaps more Alexander than Alfred (just examples not my actual choices). I would guess they would also avoid very modern unisex names so no Rileys or Harpers. Yet I'm sure Meghan as new to the British Royal family would like to honour some members and certain traditions??
I have absolutely no clue what the name will be and I really don't envy them as they will probably be criticised whatever their choice. So hopefully they go with something they both just love and can live with :)

I think Baby Sussex will either have a popular/well known name that's not traditionally used in British royal circles, somewhat along the lines of Princess Anne's grandchildren; or an uncommon/lesser used royal name that they'll revive - however going against the latter rule I do love the idea of Lady Mary Mountbatten-Windsor!

But it's more associated with Donald Trump now.?;)

And especially with Meghan being American, Donald would, without a doubt, be a no-go zone IMO. :whistling:

I love how your mind works. It always goes to the most obscure reference possible instead of the obvious :cool:

There were three kings of Scotland named Donald :flowers:

Maurice was given the name as he was born at his grandmother's home Balmoral. Maurice was in honor of his father and great-grandfather, and Victor of course for his grandmother.

But considering Donald Trump, I doubt we will see any Prince Donald.

If they go with a Scottish name, which I'd love, don't see Donald making the cut.:D

I think Baby Sussex will either have a popular/well known name that's not traditionally used in British royal circles, somewhat along the lines of Princess Anne's grandchildren; or an uncommon/lesser used royal name that they'll revive - however going against the latter rule I do love the idea of Lady Mary Mountbatten-Windsor!

Unlike Zara and Peter, this child will not be a private citizen. They will not remain Lord/Lady Windsor. When Grandpa Charles is king, they will be Prince/ss. And there is a good chance, when William is king, he or she may also be a working royal one day (George will only have his siblings and one Uncle, not the abundance of working family the queen and even Charles will have, when he comes to the throne). Harry and Meghan don't have the same freedom of names as Anne did.

If they did go with something really traditional like Mary, they could pull a Harry. Give say Mary as an official name, but say the baby will be known as...… Giving the child a more formal name they may choose to use as an adult, but a call name which is a bit less formal/stuffy. Lady/Princess Mae/Molly. Both Harry and Meghan have chosen not to use their formal first names in life.

Last edited:
Thinking along the lines of a good Scottish name, a strong one would be Douglas. It'd be a name unique to the son. Douglas, Earl Dumbarton has a good ring to it. ?

I'd love a little Keneth, Earl of Dumbarton or Malcolm. Even Robert. Nod to the queen mother and her Scottish family, but still enough of their own name.

Too bad Tom Markle took his name out of the running with his behavior. Thomas has a wonderful pedigree, both as a royal name and Queen mum's family. But Thomas is even less likely then Donald.

Too bad Tom Markle took his name out of the running with his behavior.:flowers:.

Tom Sr, Jr and Samantha messed it up for Baby Sussex to take a Markle name ever. It opens the baby to be exploited by them with demands for invitations to royal events as a bonus. Of course they'll complain but there are issues here can't be fixed in a visit.

I think 'Doriana' is a really great choice @Lee-Z, combining Doria with Diana. ? If a girl, I would think 'Jeanette' might be one of the names chosen, to honor Meghan's maternal grandmother (who I believe died in 2000).

Doriana Jeanette Henrietta :D

Yes I know. I also doubt they'd use it.. I don't know of anyone who used it outside of fiction... since Roman days.
Kyle Richards' youngest daughter is called Portia.

I always thought Meghan was having a baby boy. I will switch now and say it will be a girl. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom