Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
crm2317 said:
So would Thyra be pronounced like- t-eu-ra. Eu the way u is said in french?

Not really. I don't think it exists in English. It is u in French, y in Danish or Swedish, ü in German or Turkish...
I think it is probably right between an u (english oo) and and i (english ee), but it is really hard to explain.

What do you all think of Anika or Linnea for the new Princess?

Last edited:
These are beatiful names...But Linnea reminds me a little of a Botanic Scientific from the XVIII Century! :lol: Annika is better.:)

Vanesa.

For some odd reason, I was working today, and thinking of the royals (wondering if Leti had her baby yet), and I got the strongest intuition, or the strongest feeling that Mary and Fred's new daughter's name was Henrietta. No clue why, but I did- she just was Princess Henrietta. And I wasn't even thinking of Henrietta as a first name.
Then again, if that turns out to be true, I'd better buy a lottery ticket!

I can tell you what they WON'T call her...I think they will want to use an original name while still being historical...And they won't want a double up, I think Mary will want her precious daughter to be one a kind...

It will NOT be:
Alexandra - the Countess and a nephew called Alexander Stephens (Jane's son)
Kate/Catherine - niece Kate Stephens (Jane's daughter)
Ingrid - Norwegian princess, but it will be a definite middle name, just not the first name
Sophie or Louise - Countess of Wessex and her daughter
Beatrice or Beatrix - it's possible but Princess Beatrice of York and Queen Beatrix might rule it out
Eugenie - Princess Eugenie or York
Victoria or Madeleine - the Swedes
Margrethe - definitely a middle name and if it does happen to be used as a first name they will use a nickname with an "Aussie" feel perhaps, Princess Meg, Princess Maggie or even Princess Greta...
Elizabeth - still undecided on this one, it sounds very English to me, I know Queen Elizabeth and the baby share a birthday and it is Mary's middle name, but that mightn't be enough for them to use it even as a middle name, let alone a first name...

Come on July...the suspense is going to kill me ;)

I have been feeling that Henrietta/e and Ingrid are certain to be included, and I agree with a few here that Margrethe is likely also, as a second or third name maybe. I think that Ingrid and Margrethe will be third or second. Henriette/a must be the first name. I think this is a good pick, because it honors Mary's mother and Fred's father! :flowers:

crm2317 said:
I think the same as you lise although I had Ingrid Louise Margrethe Henrietta.
I really hope they don't call her Dagmar:sad:

I like your suggestion crm2317, I also hope they don't call her Dagmar.

I think they'll incld both Mary's mother's name and the late Queen Ingrid's name. They may also incld Queen Marrethe as they did for Christian with Prince Henrik's name. But I reckon the first name will be unique and historic to the Danes.

We'll soon find out in a few months time, i can't wait!

The new Princess name!

1. Victoria Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta

2. Natalie Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta

3. Eugenie Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta

4. Athina Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta

5. Xenia Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta

Ingrid Henrietta, I think Mary wants to give the name of her mother for sure!!!

HRH Princess Elizabeth Margarethe Henrietta Ingrid of Denmark...perfect :)

Since Mary is a native English speaker the first name will bear this in mind. They were lucky with Christian other than Frederik....
So one of my favourite names (Dagmar: because there´s no Dagmar in the Danish royal family since centuries and it´s a wonderful typical Danish name IMO)) will most likely not be chosen because it´s too unusual for an "English tongue".
I´m afraid it will actually be f.i. Elisabeth because this is an English name and the girl was born on Elizabeth II birthday. It will be a name who sounds usual in Danish ears but has some british roots or so.

Stefanie said:
Since Mary is a native English speaker the first name will bear this in mind. They were lucky with Christian other than Frederik....
So one of my favourite names (Dagmar: because there´s no Dagmar in the Danish royal family since centuries and it´s a wonderful typical Danish name IMO)) will most likely not be chosen because it´s too unusual for an "English tongue".
I´m afraid it will actually be f.i. Elisabeth because this is an English name and the girl was born on Elizabeth II birthday. It will be a name who sounds usual in Danish ears but has some british roots or so.

Well ther is alot of littel an grown up girls who has the name Elisabeth her in Denmark...I think that you are nervus about the spelling of the name don´t be.. Ther is Elizabeth in the English and American way and then ther is Elisabeth in the Danish, Swedish and Norweigan way.;)

I know I am American so I don't have the attachment to historical names like most here but I really hope that Fred and Mary are more like W-A and Maxima and name their daughter something that is more modern. IMO, I would like to something like:
Lilly Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta.
This just kind of stuck with me because they are calling her Little girl in Danish which to my ear sounded a lot like Lilly. I would love to see her named something that isn't already in all the other royal houses in Europe, plus since she isn't probably going to be Queen I think her parents have a little more choices.

Rebafan81 said:
I know I am American so I don't have the attachment to historical names like most here but I really hope that Fred and Mary are more like W-A and Maxima and name their daughter something that is more modern. IMO, I would like to something like:
This just kind of stuck with me because they are calling her Little girl in Danish which to my ear sounded a lot like Lilly. I would love to see her named something that isn't already in all the other royal houses in Europe, plus since she isn't probably going to be Queen I think her parents have a little more choices.
Lily is a wonderful name, and it's really an abbreviation of Elizabeth/Elisabeth, so they could name her either as both have a historic connotation
I vote beyond hope for Dagmar, such a gorgeous name

princess olga said:
Lily is a wonderful name, and it's really an abbreviation of Elizabeth/Elisabeth, so they could name her either as both have a historic connotation
I vote beyond hope for Dagmar, such a gorgeous name

Is Dagmar pronounced Dahg-mar? It doesn't strike me as a particularly pretty name:ermm:

I really hope it is Elizabeth/Elisabeth. There are so many different pet names from that name...Elisa, Lizzie, Lily, Beth, Ella...etc

I'm not sure about Ingrid. There is one Ingrid in this family by Princess Benedikte's site. I mean 4 years old Countess Ingrid Alexandra Irma Astrid Benedikte von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth- daughter of Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. But who knows...

Danish Royal Names
Alexandra​
Alexandrine
Anna Catherine
Anna Sophie
Anne-Marie
Berengaria
Benedicte
Caroline
Caroline Amalie
Caroline Mathilde
Charlotte Amalia
Charlotte Frederikke
Christine
Dagmar
Dorothea
Elizabeth
Ingrid
Juliana Marie
Louise
Magrethe
Marie
Sophie
Sophie Amalie
Sophie Magdalene
Thyra
Vilhelmine Marie
Vilhelmine Caroline

Source:Wikipedia

I like Magdalene and Caroline. I also like Renée, after Prince Henrik's mother. Princess Renée sounds good to me. I'm pretty sure that we can cross Alexandra and Marie off the list (for obvious reasons ;) ). I hope they don't name the baby something terribly old-fashioned, meaning Dagmar, Thyra or Vilhelmine. They can tack them on to the name somewhere in the middle, but as long as it isn't at the front, it'll be good! :)

MissSaga said:
Danish Royal Names

Alexandra​
Alexandrine
Anna Catherine
Anna Sophie
Anne-Marie
Berengaria
Benedicte
Caroline
Caroline Amalie
Caroline Mathilde
Charlotte Amalia
Charlotte Frederikke
Christine
Dagmar
Dorothea
Elizabeth
Ingrid
Juliana Marie
Louise
Magrethe
Marie
Sophie
Sophie Amalie
Sophie Magdalene
Thyra
Vilhelmine Marie
Vilhelmine Caroline

Source:Wikipedia

I prefer Anna Catherine (but Anna Catharina is better), Anna Sophie, Charlotte Frederikke, Carolline, Sophie Magdalene and Christine ;). Some of those names are the names of the Dutch princesses and it would get strange if they are chosen for the Danish princess.

I hate the trendy names that are used right now for little girls. Please, God, no Princess Caitlyn! A princess deserves a name that is rooted in history and will not disgrace her family tree.

My personal bet is on Caroline or Sophie. I'd say Caroline Margrethe Ingrid Henrietta or some other arrangement of those names makes sense. Caroline is a name that looks and sounds right in both English and Danish, isn't overused by other royals at the moment, and has a history in the Danish royal family. I can't see them using Ingrid because of the Norwegian princess. Louise, Alexandra and Elisabeth are probably out because they are used for other young royals.

Well, from the list of names up there, here are some suggestions:

Anne-Therese Henrietta Ingrid
Elizabeth Margrethe Ingrid Sophie
Louise Caroline Margrethe Ingrid
Charlotte Ingrid Henrietta Margrethe
Alexandrine Margrethe Sophie Caroline
Thrya Elizabeth Ingrid Amalia
Christine Louise Charlotte Margrethe

Ok hopefully this is my final post on this topic...but I really doubt it considering my interest in names...I think like Christian's full name they will go in this order: essential-historical-family-family...Just like Christian Valdemar Henri John is in this order...I think *Henrietta Dagmar Ingrid Margrethe* is perfect!!!

I also like *Xenia Margrethe Henrietta Ingrid* ;)

I would like to see a normal name like Sophie or Emma but then I would also love to see the baby named Dagmar, especially because Mary went to the re-burial of Marie Feodorovna about a 9 months ago (it was when the first signs of her pregnancy were seen) and Marie's name before she married and converted to Russian Orthodox was Dagmar and she was from Denmark.

I dont know why, but for some reason, i think the name "Agnes" or "Agnethe" (as i think it is in Danish) will be one of her names. I just got that feeling for some unexplainable reason. Everytime somebody speaks about the princess, i always get that name in my head.

Last edited:
Rebafan81 said:
I'm not sure myself what are consided the proper names for a Danish princess so I haven't weighed in on this really but I agree Lily is very pretty I would love a floral name for her but I don't know if that's popular in Demark.Thyra is pretty too I am growing a fondness for it.:flowers:

Last edited:
saskia said:
Louise Margrethe Ingrid Henrietta

Even though I said the name Agnes might be included, i honestly think that this name by Saskia would be close to the money. Im with you on this Saskia.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom