Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Guesses: :flowers:

Family:
-John Stuart Donaldson.
-Alexia of Greece
-Alexandra S-W-B (Berleburg)

Friends:
-Amber Petty
-Helle Reedtz-Thott / Caroline Heering / Birgitte Handwerk (can't choose which one)
-Peter Warnoe / Peter Heering (can't chosse which one)

One Royal:
-Märtha-Louise of Norway

Last edited:
In TV they started speculating about the name, too.

The Royal "Experts" expect the Princess to get a traditional name.. Like boys (or let's say "future Kings") are always called Christian or Frederik they expect the little Princess to be named Ingrid or Margrethe.

Well, I still don't belive they name the lille Prinsesse Ingrid because of Ingrid-Alexandra who is also just called "Ingrid" by everyone.
I would prefer Margrethe if they decide to chose between those 2 names.

I had forgotten about the lovely name Clara. I would definately like that too .. :)

It's too bad that we have to wait three more months for the baby's name :cool: ..

All names will be okay. If the parents decide she will be Princess Pippi, then she will be Princess Pippi.

We will hear it soon enough in a few months.

:flowers:

I would really love it if they chose Queen Elizabeth to be a godparent. I don't think the families necessarily have to be close, even though that would be nice. And if not the Queen, then maybe the Prince of Wales, or even Prince William.

I mean, how often can a baby of this generation say that the Queen of England is their godmother?

:wub:
Royal Fan said:
Sophia Elizabeth Ingrid Henrietta

I think it will be Sofie/Sophie Ingrid Henrietta Margrethe

I am so glad that ther is a new Princess in the Danish Royal family..may she live long and have a healthey life with alot of joy and happines :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Stefanie said:
Hopefully they broadcast it as they did with Christian. Honestly I´ m not sure if they do since the girl isn´t the heir to the throne. This might be one reason why Frederik this time appeared in Jeans what I think he didn´t when Christian was born but I can´t exactly remember. Might be another hint that the girl is only in second rank....

The littel princess is the 3. heir to the crown after her farther and her bigbrother.

I think that her godparents migth be:
CP Marys 2. sister (has forgotten her name :ermm: )
Princess Alexandra of Berleburg
either W-A or Maxima
CP Haakon of Norway
Prince Carl phillip of Sweeden
Ellen Hillingsø
and one more of their friends

I vote for Elizabeth as the first name.
But, as they don't have to be traditional this time, they can choose a different name they like as first name and then add Ingrid, Margrethe...etc.

Which names are the most usual in Denmark now?

Marinona said:
I vote for Elizabeth as the first name.
But, as they don't have to be traditional this time, they can choose a different name they like as first name and then add Ingrid, Margrethe...etc.

Which names are the most usual in Denmark now?
I found this on the net: (Latest statistic of the most popular girl names in Denmark)
1 Sofie
2 Laura
3 Freja
4 Mathilde
5 Caroline
6 Emma
7 Ida
8 Sara
9 Maja
10 Julie
11 Anna
12 Clara
13 Signe
14 Cecilie
15 Emilie
16 Josefine
17 Amalie
18 Victoria
19 Katrine
20 Alberte

I think they will have four names the same as Christian. Two historic names followed by the name of the grandmothers similar to how Christian has Henri John.

Ingrid Louise/a Margrethe Henrietta

I don't think any of the previous godparents will be choosen.

I think:
Siblings of Mary
Marie-Chantal
W-A or Maxima/Laurentien or Constanjin
Amber Petty
Martha-Louise

Margrethe Henrietta is beautiful !!!!!!

Catharina said:
From WIkipedia:

I wonder if the Queen will congratulate the little princess somehow now that they share a birthday... Maybe she could be one of the godmothers or maybe the baby could be named Elizabeth..? :rolleyes:

Sorry if someone disagrees with me but is Queen Elizabeth too old to be a godmother? I know there aren't rules about the age of godparents but a godparent is someone who can look after the baby/chield/teenager if his/her parents pass away. A godparent is a substitute to the father or mother and also someone who can help in the education of his/her godchilld. That's why I think is better to chose for godparents to the new Danish princess people close to her parents and also people who can look after her while she's growing. That's what I have learned and what uses to be like here. I don't know if it's the same with all the royal families. Queen Elizabeth is 81-years-old now and even if she have a long life like her mother I think she won't have the time or health to look after the new born princess.

cristine said:
My new options of names to the new Danish royal baby:

Andre Alexander Frederik Joachim

and

Alice Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta

Now that we all now it's a girl I still go for Alice Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta

Andre will come the next time, I hope so ;)

cristine said:
Sorry if someone disagrees with me but is Queen Elizabeth too old to be a godmother? I know there aren't rules about the age of godparents but a godparent is someone who can look after the baby/chield/teenager if his/her parents pass away. A godparent is a substitute to the father or mother and also someone who can help in the education of his/her godchilld. That's why I think is better to chose for godparents to the new Danish princess people close to her parents and also people who can look after her while she's growing. That's what I have learned and what uses to be like here. I don't know if it's the same with all the royal families. Queen Elizabeth is 81-years-old now and even if she have a long life like her mother I think she won't have the time or health to look after the new born princess.

Well that's what I was thinking too. But I didn't want to say anything. Yes, in the traditional sense of the word a godparent chosen for a normal child is someone that the parents trust and someone that could possibly look after the child. But I think in royal families it's really about honoring certain people. They always seem to choose 6 or 7 also. Unless of course it's a royal family of the Catholic faith which in that case it's only 2. I've noticed that royal families tend to do the regal thing and choose 1 or 2 or 3 of their counterparts from other countries(which is good for the child to be able to call someone that knows the pressures of living such a public life) and they also choose at least 2 or maybe 3 personally selected people that are close to them. I think it's a little different for them then it is for us commoners. But you are absolutely right I think Queen Elizabeth being chosen would not and should not happen. I can't see Queen Margrethe being okay with it either. Afterall her birthday just passed and she's quite a bit younger than Elizabeth.

Last edited:
What about William? Or maybe Edward and Sophie if they really want someone from the British royal family...however, I never had the impression that they were particularly close to the BRF, or is that jut me?

Aurora810 said:
Well that's what I was thinking too. But I didn't want to say anything. Yes, in the traditional sense of the word a godparent chosen for a normal child is someone that the parents trust and someone that could possibly look after the child. But I think in royal families it's really about honoring certain people. They always seem to choose 6 or 7 also. Unless of course it's a royal family of the Catholic faith which in that case it's only 2. I've noticed that royal families tend to do the regal thing and choose 1 or 2 or 3 of their counterparts from other countries(which is good for the child to be able to call someone that knows the pressures of living such a public life) and they also choose at least 2 or maybe 3 personally selected people that are close to them. I think it's a little different for them then it is for us commoners. But you are absolutely right I think Queen Elizabeth being chosen would not and should not happen. I can't see Queen Margrethe being okay with it either. Afterall her birthday just passed and she's quite a bit younger than Elizabeth.

It will be ok if Margrethe would be chosen as a godmother since she's the baby girl's grandmother and it was the same with Ingrid Alexandra, Sverre Magnus and Leonor. They probably will chose someone from other royal family, not Norway or Sweden this time, but it's a subject related to other thread :)

cristine said:
I know there aren't rules about the age of godparents but a godparent is someone who can look after the baby/chield/teenager if his/her parents pass away. A godparent is a substitute to the father or mother and also someone who can help in the education of his/her godchilld.
A godparent in the Danish Lutheran church is not someone to look after the child if the parent passes away. At the baptism the sponsors (godparents) take on a moral obligation regarding the child's Christian upbringing, if something should happen with the child's parents before the child is grown.

The sponsors (godparents) have no legal rights, or obligation, to take care of, or adopt, the child if it should lose its parents.

Information from http://www.folkekirken.dk

eireann said:
What about William? Or maybe Edward and Sophie if they really want someone from the British royal family...however, I never had the impression that they were particularly close to the BRF, or is that jut me?

I'm sorry but I really doubt that someone from the British RF would be chosen for a few reasons.
1) I don't think they are that close at all, that's not the impression I have.
2) Mary is from Australia which recognizes the BRF as their RF that would be weird, and a bit controversial in my opinion. I think and this is certainly only my opinion but after so much hype has been attracted by Mary marrying into the DRF I would think that the British might be a little sore or not to happy(just my opinion, yes, I believe jealous feelings exist everywhere and even between RF's, it's probable).
3) Plus there are so many other options even of royals that would make so much more sense. I think if you look at Christian's godparents there are some that are royals but all the ones chosen really make sense to me.

I actually think since Victoria of Sweden is Christian's godmother I think Carl Philip could possibly be chosen to be a godparent for the very first time. Plus there is a relationship and kinship between the Swedes and the Danes.:)

Last edited:
Well I have similar thoughts as some others in the thread. I think Prince Carl Philip would be a good choice. Princess Marie Chantal or actually anyone from the Greece RF is a good option. I think possibly more of Mary's side might be chosen this time around, one of her sisters and another good friend of hers. I also agree that Martha-Louise as another possibility.

I definitely believe 1 or 2 members of either Norway or Sweden's RF or one from each. And then 1 or 2 from Greece's RF. I also agree that we won't see any repeats of godparents. That would be a little silly to me when there are so many people on both sides of this family plus other royals to choose from.

Last edited:
I think they will go for something

a. with a royal feel or history
b. but also a bit offbeat and quirky
c. totally unexpected
d. with middle names Ingrid (g-grandmother), Margrethe (grandmother), Dagmar (morning sickness incident) or Henrietta (Mary's late mother)

My top choices that fit these prerequisites are:
Henrietta (Henrietta Dagmar Ingrid Margrethe)
Arabella (Arabella Ingrid Henrietta Margrethe)
Xenia (Xenia Margethe Henrietta Ingrid)
Matilda (Matilda Ingrid Dagmar Margrethe)
Olympia (Olympia Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta)

They probably won't use Margrethe or Ingrid as a first name because Ingrid's are everywhere in royal circles and it is quite possible that this girl will never be Queen anyway because Frederik and Christian are before her in line of sucession and they will both probably be very long lived, so it is a age factor (just look at Prince Charles of England, by the time Queen Elizabeth gives up her throne, Charles may be too old anyway and pass it on to William)

Number of Names

I just want to mention that in the Netherlands (Crown-)princess Amalia has got five names whereas her sisters only have got four names....
I suppose the little girl will get less names than her brother.

Royal Godparents do not usually serve the same functions as other godparents- they do not necessarily oversee their godchild's religious upbringing, nor do they serve as guardians if the child's parents die.

Other older royals who are godparents include King Harold V, who is the godfather of Princess Ingrid Alexandra. Harold is younger, yes, but in much worse health. King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia are the godparents of their granddaughter, Infanta Leonor.

Also, royal godparents don't even have to be of the same religion, or even the same country as their godchild! For Christian's Christening, his godparents were Prince Joachim of Denmark, Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece, Mrs. Jane Stephens, Mr Hamish Campbell, and Mr Jeppe Handwerk.
Frederik, Mary, Christian, and Joachim, along with the rest of the DRF are Lutheran. Haakon and Mette-Marit are members of the Church of Norway, which is the state religion. Victoria is a member of the Church of Sweden. Pavlos is Greek Orthodox. Jane Stephens is Roman Catholic, as was Mary prior to her marriage. I don't know about Hamish Campbell, an Aussie friend of Mary's, or about Jeppe Handwerk, an old friend of Frederik's. I'd assume that Jeppe Handwerk is Lutheran.

Maybe Prince William he is already a godparent to a child of Pavlos and it could be the link to the UK but i suppose we can only speculate and wait until the christening

LadyK said:
Royal Godparents do not usually serve the same functions as other godparents- they do not necessarily oversee their godchild's religious upbringing, nor do they serve as guardians if the child's parents die.

Other older royals who are godparents include King Harold V, who is the godfather of Princess Ingrid Alexandra. Harold is younger, yes, but in much worse health. King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia are the godparents of their granddaughter, Infanta Leonor.

Also, royal godparents don't even have to be of the same religion, or even the same country as their godchild! For Christian's Christening, his godparents were Prince Joachim of Denmark, Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece, Mrs. Jane Stephens, Mr Hamish Campbell, and Mr Jeppe Handwerk.
Frederik, Mary, Christian, and Joachim, along with the rest of the DRF are Lutheran. Haakon and Mette-Marit are members of the Church of Norway, which is the state religion. Victoria is a member of the Church of Sweden. Pavlos is Greek Orthodox. Jane Stephens is Roman Catholic, as was Mary prior to her marriage. I don't know about Hamish Campbell, an Aussie friend of Mary's, or about Jeppe Handwerk, an old friend of Frederik's. I'd assume that Jeppe Handwerk is Lutheran.

I thought Mary was anglican prior to her marriage? :ermm:

lilytornado said:
I thought Mary was anglican prior to her marriage? :ermm:

As much as I know, she was presbyterian...which is belonging to the protestant churches. So not much of a change for her.
And I´d guess Jane is it too.

I thought Mary was anglican prior to her marriage?

Mary was a Presbyterian until she married Frederik, then she converted to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom