Family relations between European royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately that means they are all related with that German politician with the Nazi views named Beatrix von Storch, for she was a Duchess of Oldenburg before her marriage. I wonder what Otto von Habsburg would have said to this, as his son Georg is her brother-in-law (through Eilikia of Oldenburg, Beatrix' sister and George's wife).

Beatrix is not a sister of Eilika but a cousin. Eilika's sister is Tatiana who was once engaged to Prince Jean of France, Duke of Vendome and is now married to a french Count.

Also King Abdullah II of Jordan & King Mohammed VI of Morocco are 10000000000000000-times related, being both descendants of Prophet Muhammad;);););)

Beatrix is not a sister of Eilika but a cousin. Eilika's sister is Tatiana who was once engaged to Prince Jean of France, Duke of Vendome and is now married to a french Count.

You are right. I have read that differently in German papers but I checked it now. They are cousins.

There's a reason why Victoria was called the "Grandmother of Europe" & Christian IX is called the "father-in-law of Europe"

In the end, it all comes down to the House of Oldenburg. When we go with the tradition that the father's heritage decides the name of the House his children come from, then the

are all members of the House of Oldenburg. When Queen Elizabeth dies, the UK will become part of it (no matter how they name hte house) because new king Charles' father is an Oldenburg, too.

So all people who were born either into one of those Houses or have a princess of one of those houses as an ancestor (including queen Elizabeth's descent from Alexandra of Denmark, who was queen consort of Edward VII.) are related to each other, even if through very far connections.

I'm sure there is no Royal House who does not have at least one marriage in the lines with an Oldenburg prince or princess.

Unfortunately that means they are all related with that German politician with the Nazi views named Beatrix von Storch, for she was a Duchess of Oldenburg before her marriage. I wonder what Otto von Habsburg would have said to this, as his son Georg is her brother-in-law (through Eilikia of Oldenburg, Beatrix' sister and George's wife).
The King of Sweden isn't an Oldenburg. We haven't had one on our throne since the early 1800s.
The Duke of Lauenburg & The King of Iceland were at different times during the 18-1900s the King of Denmark so while you are in a way correct they were not independent monarchies but countries & fiefs in union with the Danish crown.

Yes, the Swedish branch went extinct in the male line in 1818 with the death of Charles XIII. At that time the throne passed to the house of Bernadotte.

The closest link now would be that Carl Gustaf's Aunt Ingrid married into the Danish branch of the line.

Yes, the Swedish branch went extinct in the male line in 1818 with the death of Charles XIII. At that time the throne passed to the house of Bernadotte.

The closest link now would be that Carl Gustaf's Aunt Ingrid married into the Danish branch of the line.

Didn't Queen Victoria of Sweden have Oldenburg ancestors ? I think so, as she descended from Sophia Magdalena of Denmark.

Last edited:
The King of Sweden isn't an Oldenburg. We haven't had one on our throne since the early 1800s.
Interesting! Thank you for pointing that out.
Maybe my wording was not helpful (I'm not a native speaker) but I wanted to point out that that family once reigned there and that all these people are descended from Oldenburgs or of their house, so they are related, no matter how far away that connection is.

Interesting! Thank you for pointing that out.
Maybe my wording was not helpful (I'm not a native speaker) but I wanted to point out that that family once reigned there and that all these people are descended from Oldenburgs or of their house, so they are related, no matter how far away that connection is.

It is interesting that the Swedish posters are the most vocal about giving equal weight to patrilineal and matrilineal ancestry to determine one’s family, but they overlook the fact that King of Sweden descends matrilineally from the Oldenburgs.

Didn't Queen Victoria of Sweden have Oldenburg ancestors ? I think so, as she descended from Sophia Magdalena of Denmark.

We were talking male line. But yes, Carl Gustaf's great-grandmother was descended from a cadet branch of the Oldenbergs. Her paternal grandmother was the daughter of Gustav IV of Sweden. Gustav IV was a member of 2 cadet branches of Oldenberg. His father Gustav III was a Holstein-Gottorp, a cadet branch that ruled Sweden until Gustav IV's uncle died, and the Bernadottes took power. His mother was of the main line of Oldenberg. Victoria's granddaughter Ingrid would marry back into the house of Oldenberg. Technically if we look at the cadet branches, we find other links like Sibylla.

Looking for online resource for extended royal family tree

Does anyone know of a website that shows a visual family tree of primarily Europe's reigning houses? Ideally something that covers the last 200-odd years.

With the death of Prince Philip, I found myself down a research rabbit hole, and getting confused fast from information overload. ? I found plenty of vertical family trees but I am looking for something more horizontal - I hope that makes sense.

What do you mean by "horizontal"? Do you mean a tree which shows the paths by which Europe's reigning houses are related?

This must have been one of the last occasions (or even the last) where practically all the monarchs of Europe were reunited (except Monaco and Liechtenstein).
https://c5.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Bcf17894e/22126646_yf2ZO.png

https://c7.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Bd0184a1b/22126647_9GmTO.png

https://c6.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/B90173fef/22126648_zAQ9h.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken, this one is from the queen's golden jubilee. She also invited all of them (and many more) for her diamond jubilee for what was dubbed 'the monarchs lunch'. Note that Spain (Juan Carlos) is missing due to issues concerning Gibraltar.

Last edited:
Which is the greatest European royal house of all time in your opinion? The YouTube video below has some unusual theories.

EDIT: I warn viewers that the author of the video apparently follows a strictly patrilineal definition of a dynasty's name, which is something some members on TRF seem to disagree with.

Last edited:
Which is the greatest European royal house of all time in your opinion? The YouTube video below has some unusual theories.

EDIT: I warn viewers that the author of the video apparently follows a strictly patrilineal definition of a dynasty's name, which is something some members on TRF seem to disagree with.

This question is difficult. Today I would say the House of Windsor because it reigns in the UK and Commonwealth countries.
But I also remember the Habsburgs who were one of the most important and influential families in the history of Europe from the 13th to the 20th century and who reigned in several countries including the Holy Roman Empire (962-1806).

Thank you. That was a good watch.

I also watched the video of the matrilinear descent of the royal houses. Even more interesting.

Thanks for the link. It was a fun watch and the following videos about the matrilinial lines of descent of European royalty are absolutely fascinating.
While I agree with Usefulcharts' view that the Habsburgs and the Capetingians are the two most prominent European Royal houses I find it a missed opportunity that their focus was on Western European houses only and how they thereby overlooked the Jagellions, the Rurikids and even the Ottomans. I guess Usefulcharts considers the latter Asian and not European. I also find it noteworthy that Usefulcharts doesn't seem to understand the difference between nobility and minor royal titles such as grand duke and Prince. That said I understand his idea to focus on kings and emperors.
The video has a few errors which are all rectified by Usefulcharts in the comments. While mostly minor errors the most noteworthy, to me, is that they missed that the Braganzas are an illegitimate branch of the previous royal houses of Portugal making them Capetingians.

Queen Elizabeth II (C) poses for group photo with her Royal guests (front row L - R) Emperor Akihito of Japan, Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, King Constantine of Greece, King Michael of Romania, HM , Simeon Borisov of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Sultan of Brunei Hassanal Bolkiah, King Carl Gustaf XVI of Sweden, HM the King of Swaziland, and Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein, (middle row L - R) HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, King Letsie III of Lesotho, King Albert of Belgium, King Harald V of Norway, Emir of the State of Qatar Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, King Abdallah II of Jordan, King of Bahrain Hamad ibn Isa Al Khalifa, The Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia, (top row, L - R) Nasser Mohamed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah of Kuwait, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, HRH the Crown Prince Alexander II of Yugoslavia, King George Tupou V of Tong, Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn of Tahiland, Princess Lalla Meryem of Morocco and HRH Prince Mohammed bin Nawaf bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia before her Sovereign Monarch's Jubilee lunch, in the Grand reception room at Windsor Castle on May 18, 2012 in Windsor, England.

https://c5.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Ge0176c0a/22594606_TqUAg.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom