Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't have to go to Africa to help wildlife conservation. What he can do is bring people and groups together, raise public awareness and raise money.

I'm all for conservation, but particularly so in conserving nature and the environment on British soil! Coastal erosion is a huge problem in some places as well as flooding - there won't be much land left to reign over at this rate!
I'm happy for William to do anything worthwhile in the overseas territories and realms, especially the smaller, often forgotten places.

I'm all for conservation, but particularly so in conserving nature and the environment on British soil! Coastal erosion is a huge problem in some places as well as flooding - there won't be much land left to reign over at this rate!
I'm happy for William to do anything worthwhile in the overseas territories and realms, especially the smaller, often forgotten places.

Brilliant idea re coastal erosion, and you should write to him about it -seriously, it is so important. I think that it is the loss of habitat which really matters, cos we cant afford to prop up all of our coasts. I really am excited by your idea.

skippyboo, your ideais fine but thats 1 day a month probably.

Ps, re coastal erosion habitat, this impacts on the entire of GB and NI, plus potential to assist other countries.

Last edited:
Coastal erosion is a great idea. I'd like to see him take up his father's work in sustainable farming, but I've read that Will does not have a green thumb, although Charles tried to encourage it throughout his childhood. Thanks, Katie Nicholl....

Cepe, I completely agree with your commentary that when one is in the public eye and one's role really rests upon perception rather than reality, one must concentrate very hard on the perception. Unfair, yes. But life is not fair.

The problem I see with Will's non-gap year (notice how I did NOT refer to it as a GAP YEAR) is that it will appear to the general public that he is doing

(1) easy, interesting things
(2) things involving world travel (why work in a cold, slummy area of Britain when you can go to Kenya
(3) things he wants to do.

Now, again, I too am speaking from the perspective of the general public. Will is being allowed to pursue what few can do - his passions. Conservation, travel. I just saw photos of him involved in a football match at BP. No matter how important these things in fact are, no matter how much he might be doing behind the scenes, he needs to build up the perception that he is working. Frankly, the football game looked like fun. For most of us working means doing things one does not care to do, but one does.

It is what it is. No matter what the reality of Will's life is, the perception has to change. Princess Anne, for instance, has certainly built up the perception that she does hard work on the real world.

Even Will's mother built up that perception.....:whistling:

It not a popularity contest. Charles image has improve (maybe not a ton but it better then 15 years ago) and more polling are showing that people's want him to be king when The Queen dies. The only reason some people's don't want Charles is because of the whole Diana/Camilla thing and they fail to overlook his personal work and duties. Prince Charles is more prepared then William is right now and he has been preparing his whole life to become king and he will make a fine king. Charles is probably the most prepared and ready to be King you could ask for. William is not there yet and he need some more practice which may not really start until he becomes Heir and first in line. No one resent William for getting more attention, where do you get your source? It not fair for Charles to be passed by his some as he has been preparing his whole life to be king and even William has said himself he want Charles to be king first.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 21st century monarchy it is a popularity contest. Take the popularity of the monarchy away and it will fold like a deck of cards.

You are talking talking institution as a whole, I am talking two individuals. Charles will be king whether peoples like it or not . You get what you get as IT IS NOT a Popularity Contest.

Edward VII (at the time was the prince of wales) was not very popular before he became king and peoples wanted his son George V (then the duke of york) to become king over Prince Edward and George was more popular but when Edward became king and became a very popular King. Charles image has improve and there more support for Charles then there were 15 years ago. He also in a age clash (where the young and the older person is more popular then the person in the middle)

William does a great deal of work with the homeless/umemployed youth in Centerpoint. I would like to see that continued and expanded if possible...as I know he will. He will also continue his support of the military and military families which I think is very important. As time goes on, I see him becoming more involved with the Church and its various charities.

I have a question as an admitted "newbie" in the royal world: Are all charities, patronages, etc., "advertised" and made known to the public, or do some royals do "under the radar" charity work that is never advertised?? I ask because while I know and believe Princess Anne - QEII's daughter - does an enormous amount of work, it does not seem to get much press. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places LOL. Thank you ahead of time.

You can go to the British Monarchy website www.royal.gov.uk . It has a page for future events where you can search by name, royal or location. However, not all events are on it especially stuff for the Wales. Who tend to announce stuff on her own website and Clarence House twitter feed. The BM website also has a searchable court circular which lists the events the various royals did. For example, tomorrow's court circular will have something similar to HRH The Duke of Cambridge, President of The FA attended a awards reception for FA volunteers at Buckingham Palace.

The royals under a various range of work:

Patron of a charity; historically this has been a titular role (particularly for HMQ) but in more recent years has been for royals with an active interst, ie Princess Anne interest in Riding for the Disabled.
Patron of a particular area of interest, ie today William hosted the football at BP cos he is Patron of the Football Association(FA). These are the main areas and cover anything from Centrepoint for the Homeless, Wimbledon, WWF, Arts etc etc
Short term patronages, ie a year long patronage for a specific purpose
General engagements, ie opening of hospitals, theatres, gardens, launching ships etc etc
annual events, such as Remembrance services in November, Garter Ceremony, Royal Ascot, Holyrood Week, etc.

individual royals get involved in all of these but the annual events are important and led by HMQ and the majority of royals are involved.

Thank you everyone for all of the information

All posts regarding William's participation in the Investiture on behalf of the Queen, should be discussed in his Current Events thread.

In addition, all posts about William and Catherine expanding their family have been deleted as speculative.

Any and all questions, should be directed to a member of the moderation team via Private Message.

Last edited:
We have seen quite a lot of forthcoming engagements being announced for Prince William. Interestingly, most of them seem to be related to either existing charitable causes supported by William, or other duties in support of HM. Do people still feel he is having a gap year?

We have seen quite a lot of forthcoming engagements being announced for Prince William. Interestingly, most of them seem to be related to either existing charitable causes supported by William, or other duties in support of HM. Do people still feel he is having a gap year?

William is having more of a transitional year methinks. The press that used the term "gap year" has put it in the minds of folks that it's going to be a year off and just enjoying life where in reality, is far from the truth.

He's going to be sticking his fingers in a whole bunch of pies as well as working more closely with his own charities. He may not have an engagement book filled to the max as a working royal quite yet, but he's sure going to be getting the feel of being one.

William is having more of a transitional year methinks. The press that used the term "gap year" has put it in the minds of folks that it's going to be a year off and just enjoying life where in reality, is far from the truth.

He's going to be sticking his fingers in a whole bunch of pies as well as working more closely with his own charities. He may not have an engagement book filled to the max as a working royal quite yet, but he's sure going to be getting the feel of being one.
I have to agree Osipi. The term "gap year" was not the best choice of words.

I have to agree Osipi. The term "gap year" was not the best choice of words.

I completely agree with you both. The Press Release from KP was pretty clear that it was a transitional year, but certain sections of the Press took it upon themselves to interpret it as a gap year. I suspect to counter any negative messages, KP may have decided to make a flurry of announcements of forthcoming engagements

"Gap" and "Transitional" are almost interchangeable, although I think transitional is more fitting for a 30-something who has already had a job.

I have to agree. Transitional is a much better word to use. Gap year reminds me of a high school student taking time to decide whether or not they are going to college or taking a break before they begin college.

I prefer "non-gap" year. It leaves everyone equally satisfied/dissatisfied without knowing quite why.

William’s land lessons to help Charles pass the duchy:
THE Duke of Cambridge is planning to study land management, providing him with the skills to take over his father’s Duchy of Cornwall estate-
William

I would like to see William get more involved with the Prince's Trust as well.

I am impressed with how the couple have gradually increased their roles and responsibilities since William left the RAF and they had their baby. :flowers:

I am impressed with how the couple have gradually increased their roles and responsibilities since William left the RAF and they had their baby. :flowers:

I really am too. TBH, when it was stated that this would be a transitional year for William, I really did expect fewer engagements than he has already done. Perhaps its not an everyday engagement portfolio quite yet but he has been doing more than I expected.

I can really see both William and Kate becoming very comfortable in their roles and enjoy doing them.

I really am too. TBH, when it was stated that this would be a transitional year for William, I really did expect fewer engagements than he has already done. Perhaps its not an everyday engagement portfolio quite yet but he has been doing more than I expected.

I can really see both William and Kate becoming very comfortable in their roles and enjoy doing them.

You're absolutely correct. Also, it helps that they don't have too many organizations on their list of patronages just yet. They're able to focus on what they really feel strongly about, and be more hands-on. I'm sure that as time goes on, they'll have a lot more patronages, and therefore, it'll be more difficult to be as involved with each one, as they're now, but for the present, they're doing great, and it's a pleasure to see them in action.

I would like to see William get more involved with the Prince's Trust as well.

I wonder if maybe after Charles becomes king if the Prince's trust might merge with the royal foundation. That would make sense to me.

Then the royal foundation could serve as an umbrella organization for all of the charity work of the main royal family going forward.

Well, this is very nice to hear and I wish him the best of luck in this course. I can also see him taking over the Duke of Edinburgh's role as Ranger of Windsor Great Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom