Duke Franz and the Royal House of Bavaria 2: 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Max, Duke of Bavaria, and Elisabeth, Duchess of Bavaria attended the Summer Reception of the Bavarian State Parliament at Schleissheim Palace on July 18:

** Pic **

Family, friends and guests attended a service for the 90th birthday of Franz, Duke of Bavaria, at the St. Michael Church in Munich yesterday, July 22:

** fb gallery ** rex gallery ** brauer gallery **

On July 23 Ursula, Princess of Bavaria and Leopold, Prince of Bavaria attended the "Oper Fuer Alle"(Opera for all) as part of the Munich Opera Festival 2023 in Munich:

** Pic **

Last edited:
And what about the second child of Prince Heinrich and Princess Henriette?
Was it already born?

On August 30, Franz, Duke of Bavaria, and his partner Thomas Greinwald, Ursula, Princess of Bavaria and Leopold, Prince of Bavaria attended the preview of the exhibition "Malelade" to mark artist Georg Baselitz's 85th birthday:

** Pic ** gallery **

Ludwig, Prince of Bavaria, participated in the Löwenmarsch 2023 from Kaltenbrunn Palace to Palace Hohenschwangau on September 2. Sophie-Alexandra, Princess of Bavaria attended as well:

** gallery ** merkur.de article **

Franz, Duke of Bavaria, and his partner Thomas Greinwald enjoyed day 1 of the Oktoberfest in Munich today, September 16:

** Pic **

Franz, Duke of Bavaria, and his partner Thomas Greinwald enjoyed day 1 of the Oktoberfest in Munich today, September 16:

** Pic **

German media report on it as well, apparently it has been several years since Franz, Duke of Bavaria has been to the Oktoberfest, given his age it's really good to see he's up for it :flowers:

What made the Bavarians less eager to change the succession laws to their defunct throne in comparison to some other former royals, such as the Italians? In Italy, the senior branch of the House of Savoy recently allowed female succession (though this move was certainly NOT recognized by all Italian monarchists!) due to the fact that they were going to run out of males, but in Bavaria, even though Crown Prince Rupprecht's male line is going to end within the next couple of decades or so, there does not appear to be any desire to change the succession laws to the defunct Bavarian throne. Rather, the senior branch of the Bavarian royal family seems perfectly content to allow the male line of Crown Prince Rupprecht's younger brother Franz, Prince of Bavaria ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Franz_of_Bavaria ) to inherit the Bavarian throne after the senior branch of the Bavarian royal family will become extinct in the male line--even though Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria actually does have five daughters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Max,_Duke_in_Bavaria

Duke Franz was asked about female headship during an interview in April this year:

https://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.d...-das-recht-im-land-zu-polarisieren-art-890367

Können Sie sich vorstellen, dass einmal eine Frau dem Haus Wittelsbach vorsteht?
Das wird die Zukunft zeigen.

Es ist nicht vorgesehen.
Ich glaube, da kann man sich nicht auf ein Prinzip festlegen, das muss sich ergeben.

Which I think roughly translates to:

Interviewer: Can you see a woman at the head of the House of Wittelsbach one day?
Franz: The future will show.

Interviewer: It is not expected.
Franz: I believe you can't lay down a principle, it needs to develop on its own.

I hope a German speaker can clarify his meaning, but I assume he meant that he believes it should not happen until the family as a whole is willing to accept a woman as their head.

If that is the case, did he follow this principle by obtaining the agreement of family members when he amended the family's marriage rules, or did he simply lay down that change unilaterally?

Last edited:
I've read this interview before and to me it always sounded like he just didn't want to come across as doing something that would benefit "his" closer family over someone who would have expected to get the gig but then gets shoved to the side. Basically kicking the can down the road on that decision to the next generation.

Duke Franz was asked about female headship during an interview in April this year:

https://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.d...-das-recht-im-land-zu-polarisieren-art-890367

Which I think roughly translates to:

I hope a German speaker can clarify his meaning, but I assume he meant that he believes it should not happen until the family as a whole is willing to accept a woman as their head.

If that is the case, did he follow this principle by obtaining the agreement of family members when he amended the family's marriage rules, or did he simply lay down that change unilaterally?

Not being a German speaker but based on my limited knowledge of German, I didn't interpret his second answer to mean that the family as a whole first needs to accept it. The use of 'da kan mann' in "Ich glaube, da kann man sich nicht auf ein Prinzip festlegen, das muss sich ergeben." seems very similar to the Dutch use of 'men' (which doesn't have an equivalent in English), the closest (but not literal) translation to me seems 'I think that it cannot be laid down as a principle, it is something that evolves.' The 'it' not referring to his personal belief but to a general thought.

He seems to acknowledge that it is not helpful to pin it down as a principle as with time these things evolve.

Tatiana, Princess of Bavaria, attended the Dom Pèrignon Rosé Vintage 2009 Radical Exploration dinner at Pinakothek der Moderne in Munich, Germany on October 23:

** Pic **

Leopold, Prince of Bavaria, Felipa, Princess of Bavaria with husband Christian Dienst attended the Rosewood Munich grand opening in Munich on October 25:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Sophie-Alexandra, Princess of Bavaria, attended the 75th Bambi Awards in Munich yesterday, November 16, and posed for a photo with Sophie, Princess of Prussia:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Manuel, Prince of Bavaria attended the PIN Party at Pinakothek der Moderne in Munich on November 18:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Sophie-Alexandra, Princess of Bavaria, attended as well:

** Pic **

:previous:

PIN does stand for something, it is the abbreviation for Pinakothek der Moderne, the museum's full name.

Yesterday, November 29, Franz, Duke of Bavaria, and his partner Thomas Greinwald, Ludwig, Prince of Bavaria and Sophie-Alexandra, Princess of Bavaria, attended the VIP Gala For Jewish Culture Days in Munich:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

A simple question:
Is Duke Max the only Duke IN Bavaria and why ??

A simple question:
Is Duke Max the only Duke IN Bavaria and why ??

I believe he is, yes.

The original line of the Dukes in Bavaria started by Duke William (b. 1752) died out in the male line in 1973. The last head of that line adopted Max as his heir. Since Max has no sons, there is currently no other man who lawfully bears the surname 'Herzog in Bayern' - just him.

It could perhaps be argued that other male members of the extant royal line are still entitled to be known as Herzog in Bayern, but I believe they have long since given up using this style and now stick to either Herzog von Bayern or Prinz von Bayern.

This article on Wikipedia has a good overview of the topic : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_in_Bavaria

It will be interesting to see what happens to the title once Max dies - if it will go to Luitpold along with the headship of the royal line, or to someone else.

Last edited:
Yes Duke Franz of Bavaria , Duke Max in Bavaria, Duke Luitpold of Bavaria, Duke Ludwig of Bavaria

I believe he is, yes.

The original line of the Dukes in Bavaria started by Duke William (b. 1752) died out in the male line in 1973. The last head of that line adopted Max as his heir. Since Max has no sons, there is currently no other man who lawfully bears the surname 'Herzog in Bayern' - just him.

It could perhaps be argued that other male members of the extant royal line are still entitled to be known as Herzog in Bayern, but I believe they have long since given up using this style and now stick to either Herzog von Bayern or Prinz von Bayern.

This article on Wikipedia has a good overview of the topic : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_in_Bavaria

It will be interesting to see what happens to the title once Max dies - if it will go to Luitpold along with the headship of the royal line, or to someone else.

One of the reaons that it was max who waas adopted by his great-uncle was that he was also descending from the Ducal line thourgh his grandmotherwhich is not the case for the other males members (except Duke Franz). Therefore it could be that the Title will become extinct after his death.

Ludwig, Prince of Bavaria, attended the DLD Chairmen’s Dinner at the Jewish Community Center in Munich on January 11:

** Pic ** gallery **

Leopold, Prince of Bavaria, and Ursula, Princess of Bavaria attended the New Year's reception of the Bavarian Prime Minister in Munich yesterday, January 12:

** Pic ** gallery **

Sophie-Alexandra, Princess of Bavaria, will be Patron of the exhibition "Rachel Ruysch - Nature into Art" at the Pinakothek der Moderne, she therefore visited the museum yesterday:

** instagram gallery **

Last edited:
Is this S-A's first solo 'royal event'?

Anna in Bayern-von Maltzan with husband Andreas von Maltzan attended the book presentation of "Aus der Zeit gefallen?" in Munich on January 18:

** Pic **

Back
Top Bottom