Duke Franz and the Royal House of Bavaria 2: 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The memoirs of Franz, Duke of Bavaria, entitled "Spectators in the front row. Memories" were published in Germany last week.

German magazine Bunte today shared some quotes were Franz, Duke of Bavaria, wrote about his love for Thomas Greinwald, his partner since 42 years.

Interesting and touching to read:

** chbeck.de publisher information with cover: Herzog von Bayern, Franz Zuschauer in der ersten Reihe Erinnerungen **

** bunte article: Ergreifende Liebeserklärung: Endlich können sie ihr Glück offen leben ** google translation **

Apparently it was because of his position that they kept their relationship a secret for decades despite the strain it caused Thomas. Not surprising, really (though it would be interesting to know exactly what he is referring to), but it is certainly a reminder that changes in law (where the former ruling house has been demoted to almost private citizens with no special obligations and legal recognition of marriages no longer has a gender restriction) do not automatically transfer into societal changes. Even now, Duke Franz will be hosting lavish wedding celebrations for his much younger cousin Ludwig while a public marriage to his partner of 42 years (longer than Ludwig has been alive) is most likely still considered off the table.

Is Prince Manuel of Bavaria (born in 1972) in the line of succession to the Bavarian throne? I'm asking about this because he was born illegitimate and as far as I know, children who were born illegitimate were generally included from acquiring various European countries' thrones even if they were subsequently legitimized [...]

That was seemingly also the case in Bavaria, where succession to the throne was generally interpreted as requiring birth from an equal and approved marriage:

The fact that the constitution of Bavaria makes the legitimate birth requirement is to him proof that this is the implicit meaning of those house laws. This seems to be the majority opinion of publicists (Schulze, Zachariä, Rönne, etc.)

Bavaria, house law of 1816, article 24: "Zur SuccessionsFähigkeit wird eine rechtmässige Geburt aus einer solchen Ehe erfordert, welche von dem königlichen Hause als standemässig anerkannt ist."
constitution of 1818, title 1, art. 4: "Zur Successions-Fähigkeit wird eine rechtmäßige Geburt aus einer ebenbürtigen und mit Bewilligung des Königs geschlossenen Ehe erfordert."​

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/legmatsub.htm#throne

The state law which organizes the Wittelsbach compensation fund restricts the continuing compensation payments to individuals who would have received a state appanage under the laws of the defunct Kingdom of Bavaria. (Yes, a state government of Germany in 2023 is choosing to pay public revenues to men but not their married sisters...). If a legitimated child would not have been entitled to a state appanage prior to 1918, then choosing him as head would, if I understand it correctly, separate the headship from this income.

Last edited:
Apparently it was because of his position that they kept their relationship a secret for decades despite the strain it caused Thomas. Not surprising, really (though it would be interesting to know exactly what he is referring to), but it is certainly a reminder that changes in law (where the former ruling house has been demoted to almost private citizens with no special obligations and legal recognition of marriages no longer has a gender restriction) do not automatically transfer into societal changes. Even now, Duke Franz will be hosting lavish wedding celebrations for his much younger cousin Ludwig while a public marriage to his partner of 42 years (longer than Ludwig has been alive) is most likely still considered off the table.

That was seemingly also the case in Bavaria, where succession to the throne was generally interpreted as requiring birth from an equal and approved marriage:

The fact that the constitution of Bavaria makes the legitimate birth requirement is to him proof that this is the implicit meaning of those house laws. This seems to be the majority opinion of publicists (Schulze, Zachariä, Rönne, etc.)

Bavaria, house law of 1816, article 24: "Zur SuccessionsFähigkeit wird eine rechtmässige Geburt aus einer solchen Ehe erfordert, welche von dem königlichen Hause als standemässig anerkannt ist."
constitution of 1818, title 1, art. 4: "Zur Successions-Fähigkeit wird eine rechtmäßige Geburt aus einer ebenbürtigen und mit Bewilligung des Königs geschlossenen Ehe erfordert."​

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/legmatsub.htm#throne

The state law which organizes the Wittelsbach compensation fund restricts the continuing compensation payments to individuals who would have received a state appanage under the laws of the defunct Kingdom of Bavaria. (Yes, a state government of Germany in 2023 is choosing to pay public revenues to men but not their married sisters...). If a legitimated child would not have been entitled to a state appanage prior to 1918, then choosing him as head would, if I understand it correctly, separate the headship from this income.

I believe the Duke's position as the head of a Catholic royal house and the sovereign of Catholic orders of knighthood makes it difficult for him to have a same-sex marriage.

As far as I understand, Catholic teaching does not require a gay man to stop being gay (which is not possible anyway as it is part of the person's nature/identity), but Catholic men who are gay are expected by the Church to be celibatarian.

Franz, Duke of Bavaria, has presented his book "Spectators in the front row. Memories" at a special event at the Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich yesterday, April 18.

Among the guests were - besides his partner Thomas Greinwald - Leopold, Prince of Bavaria, Ursula, Princess of Bavaria, Felipa, Princess of Bavaria, Konstantin, Prince of Bavaria, Ludwig, Prince of Bavaria and his fiancée Sophie-Alexandra Evekink, Adalbert, Prince of Bavaria.

** gettyimages gallery **

Franz, Duke of Bavaria, has presented his book "Spectators in the front row. Memories" at a special event at the Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich yesterday, April 18.

Among the guests were - besides his partner Thomas Greinwald - Leopold, Prince of Bavaria, Ursula, Princess of Bavaria, Felipa, Princess of Bavaria, Konstantin, Prince of Bavaria, Ludwig, Prince of Bavaria and his fiancée Sophie-Alexandra Evekink, Adalbert, Prince of Bavaria.

It's lovely to see Franz & Thomas out together. I really hope that the book gets translated into English.

Despite having several different branches and reason enough for disputes about succession and such, the Wittelsbach family manages to behave with dignity and unity. Surely an example for other former royal families.

It seems that none of the Duke's nieces or nephews were present?

Is the von Bomhard family, as pictured in this gallery, related? Or perhaps just friends of the Duke.

Last edited:
Despite having several different branches and reason enough for disputes about succession and such, the Wittelsbach family manages to behave with dignity and unity. Surely an example for other former royal families. It seems that none of the Duke's nieces or nephews were present?

Is the von Bomhard family, as pictured in this gallery, related? Or perhaps just friends of the Duke.

The von Bomhard's are not related-

Fromthe Duike's nieces Duchess Elisabeth attended and i know from someone whjo was there that also some of his Waldburg-Zeil nieces attended.

Despite having several different branches and reason enough for disputes about succession and such, the Wittelsbach family manages to behave with dignity and unity. Surely an example for other former royal families. It seems that none of the Duke's nieces or nephews were present?

That’s because they seem to have a sensible family council. Plus they changed marriage requirements many years ago so there is less tension. I dare say many respect the Head of the family.

God bless Duke Maximilian I. of Bavaria!

90 percent of the beer sold worldwide is so called "bottom fermented" beer - the likes of Lager, Pils and Dark Beer.

But not since that long! New historical and genetic research did find out, that the thereby used yeast to make the beer has its roots in the year 1602.

To make a long story short: Duke Maximilian I. of Bavaria was faced with competition in the beer market from Bohemia (nowadays in Czechia and still a beer-powerhouse). In his efforts to become competitive he hired skilled beer brewing personnel from Bohemia - They brought not only their skills, but their yeast too.

And out of the mixture of Bohemian and Bavarian yeasts the modern yeast necessary for "bottom fermented" beer was mixed. A truly historical event!

Prost! Salud! Cheers!
:cheers:

Sources:
https://www.scinexx.de/news/biowissen/war-das-hofbraeuhaus-die-wiege-der-lagerbiere/
(In German only! Sorry!)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/femsyr/foad023
(In English!)

To mark his upcoming 80th birthday on June 23 Leopold, Prince of Bavaria, (together with his wife Ursula) has posed for a photo session in Starnberg yesterday, May 9:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

He is still a handsome man!

In the photo of Princess Ursula and Prince Leopold I like how both their jackets are the same color.

Franz, Duke of Bavaria accompanied by his partner Thomas Greinwald attended the opening of the exhibition "Uncombed pictures - art from 1960 on" at the Pinakothek der Moderne in Munich on May 11. The exhibition was compiled from the art collection of Franz, Duke of Bavaria, and honours his 90th birthday:

** gallery **

The former Duchess Philipp of Wurtenberg is Princess of Baviera again after her divorce ?

Prior to their wedding next weekend Ludwig, Prince of Bavaria and his fiancée Sophie-Alexandra Evekink have given an interview to this week's issue of French magazine Point de Vue:

** twitter post with photos **

Anna, Princess of Bavaria, attended the celebration for the 75th anniversary of the German American Women's Club Munich in Munich yesterday, May 16:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

It seems that a groom from today will be un uncle again, concluding from fifth photo (it's probably Princess Auguste, Countess of Lippe-Wessenfeld who is expecting her fourth child):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CseTifKo7cT/
No it is his sister-in-law Princess Henriette who is pregnant. Princess Auguste is in the multicolored gown

I saw the arrival in live . The highest Politics of Bayern did attend . A lot of traditions for the number 4 of the House but not a lot of Public.

I saw the arrival in live . The highest Politics of Bayern did attend . A lot of traditions for the number 4 of the House but not a lot of Public.

Since 1923 the Bavarian politicians pay the former royal family (now) 20 million Euro per year (!) via the Wittelsbacher Ausgeleichfonds which is a sort of House Foundation managing all the castles and palaces, domains, forests and agricultural lands, real estate, artworks, etc. Apart from the right to live in forker royal residences, the money is a compensation for lost income. The Bavarians know exaxtly who to invite to keep them friendly and close...

There is indeed an Evekink family listed among the Dutch patriciate. The genealogy of that family has not been updated in the blue book since the 1950s so it will be difficult totrace exactly how she will fit in.

Yes, Evekink, van Voorst Evekink, Busger Evekink.
A Jeanette van Voorst Evekink née Willet Holthuyzen lived in one of Amsterdam's finest mansions: https://www.amsterdammuseum.nl/locaties/huis-willet-holthuysen/2466 That is an indication of the Evekinks belonging to deftige families without being of nobility. Like Pieter van Vollenhoven, Annemarie Guáltherie van Weezel, Mabel Wisse Smit.

Of course, he is treated as the future head of the house he is. For example, his brother (whose number 5) didnt get such an elaborate wedding. And it seems the couple is up to the challenge.

Of course, he is treated as the future head of the house he is. For example, his brother (whose number 5) didnt get such an elaborate wedding. And it seems the couple is up to the challenge.

My guess is he would have preferred a more private and intimate Wedding like his brother and sisters had it.

What of Duchess Helene of Bavaria? I believe she is the only one of Duke Max's daughter that is unmarried?

First official event for the newlyweds Ludwig, Prince of Bavaria and Sophie-Alexandra, Princess of Bavaria. They attended the 66th KATAG Executive Conference and evening event in Bielefeld yesterday, June 5. Elisabeth, Duchess of Bavaria with Daniel Terberger attended as well:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery 1 ** gallery 2 **

Family and friends have gathered to celebrate the 80th birthday of Leopold, Prince of Bavaria in Munich on June 23:

Elisabeth, Princess in Bayern, and husband Daniel Terberger and Sophie-Alexandra, Princess of Bavaria attended the charity summer auction "A Midsummer Night" in Munich yesterday, July 7:

** Pic ** gallery **

Back
Top Bottom