Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time wounds all heels. And absence and out of sight. Time will move on.

True, and to be honest, it’s impossible be actively angry for a long time - it hurts too much. By the time H and M return again, perhaps I’ll have missed them...perhaps if it turns out that feelings have been mended, I‘ll let go of some of my frustration. Following the working Royals is fun, anyway - the Cambridges and Wales’ always seem to give us something to laugh at, lol

I see. It just highlights how the wrong information can get passed around and people (not you! But look at the tweet responses) can form harsh opinions and pass judgment based on misinformation .
As you can see from the tweet, I was just copying what the reporter who was there said. I also had no issue with where the decision was made, I was surprised at how the decision was made.

This photo of them looking at each other and smiling in the rain is EVERYTHING!

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/03/05/19/25593338-8079797-image-a-155_1583437059759.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That photo is amazing....love it!

LaRae

I see. It just highlights how the wrong information can get passed around and people (not you! But look at the tweet responses) can form harsh opinions and pass judgment based on misinformation .

Yep. The Mail had a whole article up about them staying at the Goring Hotel and included room prices. And then when they were corrected the entire article was edited. Funny that. Wrong info is constantly spread around.

The rain image is stunning. I have seen it everywhere and I am sure the photographer is thrilled.

That is an amazing picture.

They are, here's a video of Meghan presenting her award.

Meghan spoke of choosing the winner all the way in Canada, which surprises me as awards are usually decided by a panel of people, not one individual.

Henry is giving out an award later.

One of the award winners proposed to their partner live on stage!

Meghan never said that she and Harry alone selected the winners..or even that they selected the winners, only that they looked at the videos in Canada. There is a lot to missing to get to the conclusion that they alone selected the winners.

Sweet moment in time. I think if I had to write a caption for this photo, I'd call it "Weathering The Storm". :D

And they did it with such grace, dignity and love for each other!

To be honest , although there has been loads of press both positive and negative, I don't think the general public are all that bothered one way or another. I wouldn't have thought there would be any need to screen this event any more than any other. What does some times happen at events is that people with connections to the building or the organisation are allowed access outside. Not saying that happened on this occasion.
IMO the general view is lets get on with things. They have made their decision so let them move on as they wish. I would say the general feeling is more disappointment than animosity. Maybe even sadness.

Most of the public are indifferent about the RF, and its going ons. The people who take an interest, obviously are iehter fans or dislike them either some of them or in general. Mostly it would be fans who would show up to see a royal doing an engagement..
Some people may have been admirers who are now disappointed that they have gone.. some in the general public may be usually indifferent but a bit irritated at their decision... Once they have been gone for 6 months or so, unless they do things to attract negative attention, I'd say most people just wont care...

Let’s stick to discussing current events. This thread is not for discussing Harry and Meghan’s decision to leave the BRF.

The Queen obviously didn't regard the Endeavour Awards event, like the Travalyst and Invictus Games events that Harry did last week, as 'official events at it wasn't in the Court Circular. Those same organisations were in the CC last year and in earlier years. That is a very clear statement about where this couple are now - on the same level as Beatrice, Eugenie and the Michael's of Kent who do charity work but not in the CC.

Last edited:
It's great to see the Sussexes back, even if it's just for a few days. I had missed seeing them together in public settings.

The Queen obviously didn't regard the Endeavour Awards event, like the Travalyst and Invictus Games events that Harry did last week, as 'official events at it wasn't in the Court Circular. Those same organisations were in the CC last year and in earlier years. That is a very clear statement about where this couple are now - on the same level as Beatrice, Eugenie and the Michael's of Kent who do charity work but not in the CC.

Yet the Royal Family account promoted it like it was on the social media. Or was that just the family wanting some of the massive positive PR it was giving ? Who knows. They didn't mention it last year when they were working royals but did this year.

Yes. Non working memberst of the family. Except Bea and Eugenie actually do do a lot of functions and things where they aren't credited. And I think we will inevitably see one if not both picking up a few more arrangements.

Yes. Non working memberst of the family. Except Bea and Eugenie actually do do a lot of functions and things where they aren't credited. And I think we will inevitably see one if not both picking up a few more arrangements.

Beatrice and Eugenie have as many patronages as Kate does. They are free to take on as many patronages as they wish and are invited to do so by the organizations they work with. As any private citizen is welcome to do. But since they both have jobs on top of their patronages, there is a limit they can devote to taking on more charitable work.

This is in contrast to Edward and Sophie who when they first married, and William and Kate, who were only part time working royals when they married. Edward and Sophie had their businesses, and William was in his flying career. What charity work they did was recognized in the CC as they were officially recognized patronages, and seen to be 'working for the firm'.

Harry and Meghan had hoped to be like the Wessexes once, working part time and doing duties part time. Instead they ended up like the Yorks.

Harry and Meghan already had activities that were 'official royal patronages' and others that were simply projects. The hub kitchen for Meghan was never recognized as a patronage. Much of Harry's work in Africa was 'private'. It seems the 'private patronages' will now extend to all of the organizations they work with. No matter if they are still royal patrons.

But we were told they were still working royals until the end of March - but the CC seems to be contradicting that and they are already classed as non-working royals by the person who decides what is and what isn't an official engagement - The Queen.

But we were told they were still working royals until the end of March - but the CC seems to be contradicting that and they are already classed as non-working royals by the person who decides what is and what isn't an official engagement - The Queen.

Is it? Because according to reporters in the past when asked about the CC they stated that the houses themselves control what is listed. Or that is what they were informed. Maybe we can get a follow up.

Is it? Because according to reporters in the past when asked about the CC they stated that the houses themselves control what is listed. Or that is what they were informed. Maybe we can get a follow up.

The houses put it all together but the final sign-off is done by The Queen herself. She doesn't put the list together, that is done by the various offices but the list then goes to her private secretary and she signs-off on it.

I wonder if the Sussexes chose not to submit their events to the Court Circular.

I wonder if the Sussexes chose not to submit their events to the Court Circular.

It is entirely possible that the couple do not see the Court Circular as a means of communication "compatible" with their brand and prefer their own Instagram, where they can control what they post and when.

For example, they may prefer to not put the Endeavour Awards on the CC, but post on their Instagram at a time of their choosing which may or may not coincide with a major speech by the Duchess of Cornwall.

As far as I see it, as long as they are working royals (ie in the next few days of engagements before they step down) it’s not their choice for their activities to not be added to the court circular. Come April, they can choose to communicate how they want but they are still working royals representing the queen at this time.

Another proof of their egotistical, know it all ways.

Well one would suppose that either a. People in their office have already started moving on or b. They just don't want to submit them anymore.

As far as I see it, as long as they are working royals (ie in the next few days of engagements before they step down) it’s not their choice for their activities to not be added to the court circular. Come April, they can choose to communicate how they want but they are still working royals representing the queen at this time.

Is everything they do representing the Queen , i.e. royal duties, or are some their own projects which would then make a difference to what goes on the CC.
Meghan appears to like going down the road of private visits followed by photographs, is this another reason why they do not appear on the CC.

Here's a video of TRH The Duke and Duchess at the Endeavour Fund Awards.

this article also speaks about them being booed at the event, which is also proven in the video.

https://www.elmundo.es/loc/celebrit...m_source=taboola&utm_medium=internal-referral

in other matters, i really liked the dress meghan chose, that colour works for her. however, it looks like she probably practiced her 100 megawatt smile for the event to make sure people were not reporting she was angry about the situation/depressed/disappointed etc to salvage her brand - which we all know is paramount to her.

them being booed at the event

This is very unusual behaviour from the usually [painfully] polite British Public.. even at the height of the public dissatisfaction with the Royal family after Diana's Death, nobody booed...

Last edited:
This is very unusual behaviour from the usually [painfully] polite British Public.. even at the height of the public dissatisfaction with the Royal family after Diana's Death, nobody booed...

To be fair, I heard one guy boo - and someone else hooting twice. It’s not as if the crowd was booing - I thought they were mostly quiet, actually...not the warmest reception ?

The queen considered it a 'transition period' - so apparently half in/half out -; it was H&M themselves who stated that they were working royals until the end of March. In the queen's opinion that's probably when the transition period ends. So, they will be 'full out'.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only show up in the CC for the Commonwealth Service as that seems to be the only one in which they accompany real working royals.

No one knows why their events are not listed
Or who made that call..yet you are quick to brand them as "egotistical". Sheesh!

To be fair, I heard one guy boo - and someone else hooting twice. It’s not as if the crowd was booing - I thought they were mostly quiet, actually...not the warmest reception ?

Is there usually more applause or something at these things?

Even reporter Camilla questioned on This Morning whether it was a photog just trying to get a reaction because it seemed odd. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom