Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please tell me what they actually did that needed for them to be "touchable"? I found them to be very private and quiet. What did you se what I did not?

I have no idea why they would think they could be untouchable, but their entire attitudes have left me cold....from Meghan's whiny Africa interview to the January bombshell to this statement (and that's not even including Harry reportedly saying "what Meghan wants, Meghan gets").

Wyevale:

'Touchable', and 'untouchable', are words open to a number of definitions/interpretations, depending on context [much as 'shrewd' is]..

In the context used 'upthread', l think the meaning intended was 'you cannot control/affect me KNOW - i'm 'free of you' ?
That was what I drew from it [and from Sussex' demeanour in the last few days before he left for Canada].

Well actually.....and this is why I used Teflon, but maybe that's too American. I'll explain. There used to be a Mafia capo - John Gotti - who got the nickname Teflon Don because none of the charges against him ever seemed to stick (he bribed jurors or got rid of them, etc..). Teflon is used to coat pots and pans to make them non-stick....and that's what I meant by my reference. When I said that Harry and Meghan think they are Teflon, untouchable, I meant that they think that they are so loved and adored that even if they behave badly, they expect that nothing will stick to them - their fans will still love them and hold them blameless)

Really, what is Harry qualified to do.
Well, he is qualified to be a helicopter pilot :whistling: but I'm not sure how marketable that is.

lts pretty tiring, draining work at that - I remember a quote [perhaps of QEQM, to another Royal?]

" You may not remember meeting them, but they will ALWAYS remember meeting YOU"...

Therefore its crucial for them always to be engaged/personable and 'nice' [in Public], which cannot be easy..
I also remember a quote from Diana when she was asked what it was like to be a princess: "It's like going to three or four weddings every day. As the bride..." and I took that to mean something like everybody is looking at you and you have to be perfect and so you are stressed and exhausted.

Ihow much of it is them being genuinely wobbly and fragile.. which pushed them into leaving.. or how much of it was a fairly calculated desire to only be part time and to get out of the full time RF which they had been planning almost since they got married and which made them decide to leave... They have me puzzled.
I know some people feel that they had every intention of being full time royals for life and only left when they got unhappy.. but I am not sure about that.

I think this is why so many people feel that they are been calculating and manipulative. They don't understand how they can shift in personality like this. Something here has never sat well with me - it doesn't feel right . I don't think we know the truth here and personally I think that we never will. A lot just doesn't make sense. I feel like we have watched half the movie and we are just concluding the reason through what we are seeing.
Does anyone feel the same?

Meghan's only recently had a baby. We can't possibly know whether she's had post-natal depression or not, but it's a possibility.

I find it hard to believe that she genuinely had no idea what she was getting into. Diana, for all she was part of the British aristocracy, was still in her teens when she got engaged, and had very little life experience. An intelligent woman in her mid-30s, who was already in the public eye, social media savvy because of The Tig, and close friends with people like Serena Williams who've themselves suffered from some of the nastiness that goes with being internationally high profile, must surely have realised that it wasn't going to be like a Disney fairytale of castles and glamour.

Whatever's gone on, it feels as if they're digging themselves deeper and deeper into a hole. It's horrible to see anyone's lives get in a mess, so I hope they're able to work it out.

'Touchable', and 'untouchable', are words open to a number of definitions/interpretations, depending on context [much as 'shrewd' is]..

In the context used 'upthread', l think the meaning intended was 'you cannot control/affect me KNOW - i'm 'free of you' ?
That was what I drew from it [and from Sussex' demeanour in the last few days before he left for Canada].

My understanding, from the use of the word "Teflon" and so on was that it meant "they thougtht that they could do anything they liked without being criticised for it.."

I think this is why so many people feel that they are been calculating and manipulative. They don't understand how they can shift in personality like this. Something here has never sat well with me - it doesn't feel right . I don't think we know the truth here and personally I think that we never will. A lot just doesn't make sense. I feel like we have watched half the movie and we are just concluding the reason through what we are seeing.
Does anyone feel the same?

I agree that they are a puzzle and its hard to work out what is relaly happening with them. I know Harry had spoken a few years ago about his being depressed and in a bad place, because of his mother's death... that he had suppressed his grief for a long time but underneath he was getting more depressed and angry.. But I thought that with hs marriage, his settling into the role of working royal etc, he had overcome that depression as much as one can do.. and was managing his life ok. I was surprised to hear the comments he made in the last months of his royal life, which seemed to indicate that he was still depressed and felt that his life wasn't working out and I suppose if that was all true, he was contemplating escape because of his unhappiness. But I found it hard to believe that Meghan was alos depressed and unhappy and "wanted to escape because royal life was too difficult.."... She seemed confident and outgoing, the sort fo woman to enjoy the royal job, and sensible enough to have learned by then of its restricitons… so it seemed odd that she was presumably unhappy and feeling she had to escape. and again, it seems as if they had had plans going back several months, to get out - because they were preparing the website etc. So Im not sure, was their desire for escape fuelled by unhappiness and depresson.. which is still regrettable but one can understand it.. or was it more to do with preferring a life where they could make money, and be free of restrictions?

They look incredibly happy and Meghan looks amazing! I will miss seeing them on the seen regularly!

So strong of this couple to put on such a brave face while facing all these intrusive photographers. I’m sure they can’t wait to escape back yonder?

The articles I've looked at said there was a crowd of about 50 people gathered to watch their entrance. I know it's raining there and I have no idea if 50 is lower than normal or about the same? Either way does anyone know what, if any, kind of special screening those people might have had to undergo for security? I realize they're on the other side of the barrier and in a public place so maybe they weren't screened in any special way? I'm just thinking that with the animosity around Harry and Meghan right now they might have had to have some sort of permit or security check or something?

It's wonderful to see them together and looking so happy. Love Meghan's dress. Can't wait to see more of the event and this couple. Ive been looking forward to it.

Last edited:
The articles I've looked at said there was a crowd of about 50 people gathered to watch their entrance. I know it's raining there and I have no idea if 50 is lower than normal or about the same? Either way does anyone know what, if any, kind of special screening those people might have had to undergo for security? I realize they're on the other side of the barrier and in a public place so maybe they weren't screened in any special way? I'm just thinking that with the animosity around Harry and Meghan right now they might have had to have some sort of permit or security check or something?

The animosity? Whilst the departing of Henry and Meghan has not blown over entirely, I have seen nothing to warrant anything that required extra screening.

They are attending a public event in a public place, there are barriers erected and the road usually cordoned off for a period of time but there would never been any level of screening done. There never has been.

William and Catherine have been in Ireland the last couple of days, where tours and engagements are usually announced a few days before the arrive due to ever present security concerns, and no member of the public was screened to see them.

The animosity? Whilst the departing of Henry and Meghan has not blown over entirely, I have seen nothing to warrant anything that required extra screening.

They are attending a public event in a public place, there are barriers erected and the road usually cordoned off for a period of time but there would never been any level of screening done. There never has been.

William and Catherine have been in Ireland the last couple of days, where tours and engagements are usually announced a few days before the arrive due to ever present security concerns, and no member of the public was screened to see them.

It was a serious question...I'm not in London so I really couldn't speak to the mood there with any actual experience. I'm just saying that feelings seem to be running pretty high about their exit, their stopover for these few engagements, their treatment of the Queen and family, etc. and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the RPOs feel that a heightened level of precaution is warranted around them right now. A lot of people, especially the kind of people that would stand out in the rain for hours to watch them walk from a car to a building, don't seem to feel especially kind toward these two these days.

Here's a video of TRH The Duke and Duchess at the Endeavour Fund Awards.

They look good. Are they presenting any awards tonight?

To be honest , although there has been loads of press both positive and negative, I don't think the general public are all that bothered one way or another. I wouldn't have thought there would be any need to screen this event any more than any other. What does some times happen at events is that people with connections to the building or the organisation are allowed access outside. Not saying that happened on this occasion.
IMO the general view is lets get on with things. They have made their decision so let them move on as they wish. I would say the general feeling is more disappointment than animosity. Maybe even sadness.

A lot of people, especially the kind of people that would stand out in the rain for hours to watch them walk from a car to a building, don't seem to feel especially kind toward these two these days.

I disagree, for this engagement people won't have waited in the rain for hours. The location of Mansion House simply wouldn't allow for it. However the people who are there, you're right, aren't passerbys, they wanted to see Meghan and Henry and it's because they really do like them. They want to see them before they "go away" on the 31st March.

The press are portraying a very hated image towards Meghan and Henry, but in the real world, that's not the case. Those that want to see Meghan and Henry will, and those that don't won't.

The polls that show Meghan and Henry are this or that, or the stories that are run here there and everywhere saying the ordinary person doesn't like them. That ordinary person is at home on a thursday night tucking into their dinner voicing their opinion to a TV screen. They're not out there trying to get at Meghan and Henry, violently or otherwise.

Last edited:
They look good. Are they presenting any awards tonight?

They are, here's a video of Meghan presenting her award.

Meghan spoke of choosing the winner all the way in Canada, which surprises me as awards are usually decided by a panel of people, not one individual.

Henry is giving out an award later.

One of the award winners proposed to their partner live on stage!

The polls that show Meghan and Henry are this or that

I've seen no polls on their popularity [or otherwise] conducted by ANY polling organisation, which l find very strange, indeed..

Lumutqueen she didn't say she "chose the winner from all the way in Canada".
If you watch the video she said as they were "watching the videos from all in Canada" she was wondering "how do you choose?"

Big difference!

Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 -

Lumutqueen she didn't say she "chose the winner from all the way in Canada".
If you watch the video she said as they were "watching the videos from all in Canada" she was wondering "how do you choose?"

Big difference!

As you can see from the tweet, I was just copying what the reporter who was there said. I also had no issue with where the decision was made, I was surprised at how the decision was made.

Security around kate and William in Dublin was immense. At a level i haven't seen since Ian a Paisley was there many moons ago. Snippers on roofs. Helicopters circling but of course Ireland has a unique relationship.

Security in a London when the royals are about is really quite relaxed...in light of the position. And when they are expected places police often suggest to you where you can go and stand to see them in their cars etc. I would see no difference with this. There really are never many people on the street to see them at events like this anyway.

Meghan looks well. And it seems very professional. To be honest corona is everywhere and it didn't get much coverage in the media. I am being relative of course. The tabloids will always write 20 articles about her dress.

Last edited:
They look good, as I'd expect as they are very attractive people. I would like to get back to the point where I'm not so upset and disappointed in Harry and Meghan; it was a lot more fun when I enjoyed their comings and goings. I hope they enjoy their time in the UK, hope they get to see family....and hope that they return again "soon" with Archie

They look good, as I'd expect as they are very attractive people. I would like to get back to the point where I'm not so upset and disappointed in Harry and Meghan; it was a lot more fun when I enjoyed their comings and goings. I hope they enjoy their time in the UK, hope they get to see family....and hope that they return again "soon" with Archie

Time wounds all heels. And absence and out of sight. Time will move on.

My understanding, from the use of the word "Teflon" and so on was that it meant "they thougtht that they could do anything they liked without being criticised for it.."

If they thought this they couldn't have heard about what the tabloids wrote about them. And we know they did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom