Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything will be fine when folks start accepting Meghan for who she is and stop making it seem like she’s acting or overdoing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the love of all things.....

Can we just have a simple discussion without the constant snipping over positive and negative remarks. Must we close this thread as well?

Its going to stay open for the interim but be prepared for a serious cleanup.

Oh...and its time to move on from Bumpgate 2018.

Last edited:
I agree re the bump holding - I know plenty of ladies I've worked with while pregnant who I have never seen do this while at work

I don't think this was necessarily "too Hollywood" an event for royalty - hence why we have seen the Queen attend a fashion show at London Fashion Week. But also remember that was the first time (or one of very few times) we saw the Queen at a real fashion show at Fashion Week - in a 66 year reign.
The issue is Meghan's background, I guess so soon into her tenure as a royal a lot of people would rather she shied away from such "Hollywood" events and build up a track record of admirable charitable based work and business that directly involves British businesses.

And before both sides pile on me - I'm not saying she doesn't do charitable work.

I'm confused as to why her background should matter. (I know you're giving your assessment on why others might feel this way) If the same feeling applied to all royals, or even all new royals, regardless of background I could see that. But, it almost seems like people want to be able to forget Meghan's background. That she can do things like this once people no longer think of her as having any connection to acting.

To me, this is part of her background, but not a part she needs to distance herself from. I mean, as part of her history. The majority of her public appearances aren't going to be (and haven't been) acting or "Hollywood" related, and as long as that's the case, I don't see why it matters if sometimes she does something like this. At least if it's about as much as is acceptable for any other royal.

Hopefully this post is acceptable.

I sincerely believe that every royal has to hone their acting skills to a certain extent. I call it putting on their "game face". These people have personal diaries that are filled up quite a bit in advance and one thing we rarely see a royal do is "call in sick to work". People depend on them and its a serious let down if a royal were to wake up with a migraine headache and just want to spend the day in bed. They brave it out and put on their "game face" and get on with it.

Meghan's acting skills that she's acquired over the years before meeting Harry are actually one of her biggest assets. She's learned the art of public speaking and tips and tricks to giving a good one. She's able to slip into "game face" mode should she need to. She may have been quite queasy with morning sickness on the tour Down Under but we would never know it. She's learned the fine art of communicating with people and like Harry, when she is talking to an individual, that individual feels they're the only ones that matter at that moment.

Acting skills exhibited by Meghan are part and parcel of who she is. There's a big difference between using her acting skills and being phony. You can smell insincerity a mile away. Meghan also does not have any kind of stage fright that we can see. If she does, she has the skills to get her through. With all this experience behind her, she's comfortable in her own skin, is at ease with just being herself. Sure, she'll make mistakes and goof up and have idiosyncrasies like we all do but one thing Meghan can do is take it all in stride and keep calm and carry on.

So, I guess I can say that I think Meghan can and does "act" when she out in public but its that kind of acting that enhances her role rather than detracts from it. ?

:previous: I agree that Meghan's acting ability is definite asset, and hopefully is a source of strength for her in her public interactions. Most people in public facing roles have a face for their "on the clock" interactions, and one for their private lives. The ability to compartmentalize that way is a skill that all royals have to learn, and Meghan had a head start on that due to her background.

I sincerely believe that every royal has to hone their acting skills to a certain extent. I call it putting on their "game face". These people have personal diaries that are filled up quite a bit in advance and one thing we rarely see a royal do is "call in sick to work". People depend on them and its a serious let down if a royal were to wake up with a migraine headache and just want to spend the day in bed. They brave it out and put on their "game face" and get on with it.

Meghan's acting skills that she's acquired over the years before meeting Harry are actually one of her biggest assets. She's learned the art of public speaking and tips and tricks to giving a good one. She's able to slip into "game face" mode should she need to. She may have been quite queasy with morning sickness on the tour Down Under but we would never know it. She's learned the fine art of communicating with people and like Harry, when she is talking to an individual, that individual feels they're the only ones that matter at that moment.

Acting skills exhibited by Meghan are part and parcel of who she is. There's a big difference between using her acting skills and being phony. You can smell insincerity a mile away. Meghan also does not have any kind of stage fright that we can see. If she does, she has the skills to get her through. With all this experience behind her, she's comfortable in her own skin, is at ease with just being herself. Sure, she'll make mistakes and goof up and have idiosyncrasies like we all do but one thing Meghan can do is take it all in stride and keep calm and carry on.

So, I guess I can say that I think Meghan can and does "act" when she out in public but its that kind of acting that enhances her role rather than detracts from it. ?

The parts I bolded is exactly what people forget about Meghan. She is a pro at public speaking because of her acting career. She empathetic and has a strong sense of community and justice. She knows how to read a situation better than any other Royal bride coming into the "business".

And most importantly, she knows who she is, and will not yield to a very outdated school-of-thought in how Royal women should look and behave.

Maybe another way Meghan's acting experience will come in handy for her is that with her acting career, I bet she can number in the thousands how many "takes" it took before the scene was the way the director wanted it to be. Like football players reviewing the tapes and watching their plays, they find ways to do it better.

So maybe if she does something unconsciously (any little thing we've picked up on lately), she'll see the reactions to it and the light bulb moment comes and she consciously will try and correct it. Its a learning process. Trial and error. She may not want to change that aspect also. Its all personal choice.

Its all part and parcel of being true to oneself. The minute we start being who other people want us to be and act as other people want us to act, we lose ourselves in the process.

Honestly, at the end of the day...aren't most royals acting to some extent? And that has nothing to do with Meghan's former profession. You always have to be on.

To quote Queen Mary.....You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.

Surely we don't want her (or anyone other royal for that matter) showing up to royal engagements surly and not interested?

Honestly, at the end of the day...aren't most royals acting to some extent? And that has nothing to do with Meghan's former profession. You always have to be on.

To quote Queen Mary.....You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.

Surely we don't want her (or anyone other royal for that matter) showing up to royal engagements surly and not interested?

Another way to put it is we can show up to work with a scowl because we had a fight with our significant other or because the dog peed on the carpet. They can’t. To an extent, EVERYONE acts at some point. Doesn’t mean they are trying to be fake or anything, just that they are trying to go about life and get certain things done the best they can. I dare anyone to say they haven’t at some point had to put on a brave face even if it’s not how they felt inside.

I personally don't see *acting* as being honest with yourself. If your acting in front of people how is that being honest to the people and yourself.......call it want you want and make it anything you want yet even in times of not feeling up to it, be honest with yourself. When you learn to put a false face on then who in the world is ever going to believe a word you say........acting is like fake news to me....just simply pure fake and dishonest as I have learned over time. Nothing to be believed any which way it is said.....isn't that why so many don't believe in politicians anymore.....they now for the most part can't even fake it.

Meghan is an actress first and she will carry that with her for she learned those skills in Hollywood...some will be good and other will be false! It is what it is! Waiting for the backlash......

I personally don't see *acting* as being honest with yourself. If your acting in front of people how is that being honest to the people and yourself.......call it want you want and make it anything you want yet even in times of not feeling up to it, be honest with yourself. When you learn to put a false face on then who in the world is ever going to believe a word you say........acting is like fake news to me....just simply pure fake and dishonest as I have learned over time. Nothing to be believed any which way it is said.....isn't that why so many don't believe in politicians anymore.....they now for the most part can't even fake it.

Meghan is an actress first and she will carry that with her for she learned those skills in Hollywood...some will be good and other will be false! It is what it is! Waiting for the backlash......

You honestly think members of the royal family have always had a good day and felt like smiling everytime they showed up for an engagement? I’ve got a bridge to sell. :lol:

This is very true.

There is no way every royal is truly interested in everything they have to attend. But they find some way to appear interested, be friendly, ask questions, whatever the occasion. Sometimes it is probably easy and other times incredibly difficult. I can see how it is like going on stage to perform.

It could be that the CC is behind on updating, but it looks like this will not count in the CC and is indeed a personal event for Meghan which I think is wise.

It was not a personal event.

Court Circular 5th December:
The Duchess of Sussex this morning attended a Meeting of the Association of Commonwealth Universities at King’s College London, Strand, London WC2.

Court Circular 10th December:
The Duchess of Sussex this evening attended the British Fashion Council Awards at the Royal Albert Hall, London SW7.

Court Circular 5th December:
The Duchess of Sussex this morning attended a Meeting of the Association of Commonwealth Universities at King’s College London, Strand, London WC2.

Court Circular 10th December:
The Duchess of Sussex this evening attended the British Fashion Council Awards at the Royal Albert Hall, London SW7.

KP also updated this morning on Twitter. Not sure why the delay from them on that.

Oh so it was a royal event ...and on the CC. That says it all.......time to act out!

W........

Maybe the royal family needs us to help them keep things straight and up to date ..........

KP also updated this morning on Twitter. Not sure why the delay from them on that.

After almost a decade of following the British Royal Family on various websites and social media I can tell you there is no rhyme or reason to some things they do in regards to their Internet presence.
I know a number of people who follow the BRF for work or research purposes and the consensus is that there is no point in trying to find logic in these things. To quote the Bard that way madness lies :wacko::seestars:

Last edited:
I think Meghan's CC entry was because it was a surprise therefore it was delayed. I kind of expected it to be added today especially after I saw the KP social media updated.

As for "acting" -- who doesn't put on a game face? I put on mine at work constantly. That doesn't mean I am not engaged nor care. It just means I am putting in extra effort even if I am not 100% feeling it. It happens and I suspect it happens to them more often than not having to be "on" all the time.

. . . . . Meghan’s whole appearance was very special. Especially giving the award to someone she grew close to while working on her wedding dress. It’s just touching.

Everything will be fine when folks start accepting Meghan for who she is and stop making it seem like she’s acting or overdoing something.
That is an interesting point. Meghan is now the Duchess of Sussex and she is no longer an actress. She gave up her home, her country and her lucrative job moved countries and married the man she loves.

The repetitive references to Hollywood are more than a little erroneous as in the mind of most people, Hollywood is where movies are made, not TV series. Further to that, Suits is filmed in Canada and you couldn't be further removed from Hollywood if she tried.

Being an actress was her previous job, staying at home and preparing for the arrival of her first child is what she is doing now and soon she'll be the ultimate "stay at home" mother!!

No we don't, we want her turning up happy, well-schooled in what she is there for and, if she and Harry were throwing the china at each other before she left home that morning, I expect she will put on her party face and do what she has to do just like the ordinary folk do.

Does that make all of us fake, manipulative users? I think not. Just real people living real lives. Contrary to popular belief, their blood runs as hot as ours, not ice cold. Just picture a Prince running out the front door and a pair of tennis shoes and a tennis racquet being thrown after him . . . really Your Majesty? Hell yeah.

Now to the weirdest dichotomy of all. On the one hand, it is being said that attending the fashion awards was too "Hollywood", inferring it was shallow and not worthy of a royal presence and yet, correct me if I'm wrong, there is considerable interest in what she wears, who designed it and who made it. It's an industry and people want her to wear British designs exclusively.

Just to be up front, personally, I really like Meghan. She has the most expressive eyes and face and seems to live in a perpetual state of "the glass is half full". This positive, even joyful way she attacks the job of living is inspiring and uplifting and makes people around her feel good. but this belief she has an edge in the BRF Goldfish Bowl is, to my mind at least, way off the mark.

Acting on a film set is not the same as acting on a stage and the notion she would find it easier to deal with the full-on, 24/7 assault of the media because she has this mythical edge is a farce. Dealing with the media covering a publicity tour with her fellow cast members or a red carpet were all "controlled" situations. Comparing that to the barrage of flashes she and Harry deal with at CC events is like comparing a goldfish to a piranha.

As for "acting" -- who doesn't put on a game face? I put on mine at work constantly. That doesn't mean I am not engaged nor care. It just means I am putting in extra effort even if I am not 100% feeling it. It happens and I suspect it happens to them more often than not having to be "on" all the time.

So true, Aco. Everyone puts on their work face and their public persona.
I don't expect any royal to behave exactly like they would do in private. They are meeting and greeting perfect strangers, mostly. I believe that they care for the cause and can enjoy the work without being over familiar with people they don't know.

Here's a take on the fashion awards event by CBS News:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/meghan-markle-surprise-appearance-2018-british-fashion-awards/

So there's a lot to say and a great deal that's going on in everyone's heads. Quite a number of things overlap and are connected that's difficult to have a conversation about. As I earlier mentioned, Diana PofW once made a surprise onstage entrance at a dance event that members of the royal family were attending. Her appearance was of course planned in advance, but the audience and public knew nothing about it. Diana dancing onstage with Wayne Sleep was unexpected and electrifying. I posted in the 'Memories of Diana' thread about that memorable occasion.

In addition, I posted in the Princess Margaret thread a documentary about the marriage travails and public experiences of PM in an earlier generation. PM and Lord Snowdon rubbed shoulders quite often with the 'Hollywood set' in a different cultural moment and a different era. Let's also not forget that the Cambridges made a visit to Hollywood in the early years of their marriage. And even the Queen was convinced a few years ago to make a fun cameo appearance in a James Bond film. So Meghan's 'Hollywood' connection is not something that's foreign or verboten to the royal family. I think it pays to take a step back and to gain personal perspective and historical perspective.

For example - I am a front office Receptionist; I greet visitors/customers with a smile. They are the reason I have this job. But there are days when I just don’t feel smiley because I’m human, but I greet and smile. Is this acting? The Royals do it because they’re humans, and no way they’re 100% happy to see “clients/customers” every day.

Very good announcement. I wonder if this is a sign of Meghan taking on this patronage from The Queen? Would be nice. I’m really looking forward to this engagement.

Might be...and it kinda streamlines into an area of interest for her.

LaRae

This thread is about Meghan’s current events. Let’s move on from the discussion about Hollywood and whether the royals are acting. Also an earlier mod note asked members to move on from bumpgate and the discussion about negative/positive opinions about Meghan, so a number of comments have been deleted.

Nice to see another announced engagement. This place hasn't been visited in a long time so glad that Meghan is going. It is right up her alley too.

Yes, it's nice to see Meghan finding a number of opportunities to support causes and organizations she has a former professional and/or familiar connection with.

Yes, it's nice to see Meghan finding a number of opportunities to support causes and organizations she has a former professional and/or familiar connection with.

She has a connection with Royal Variety residential care home Brinsworth House? Oh, can you tell me something more?

She has a connection with Royal Variety residential care home Brinsworth House? Oh, can you tell me something more?

The people they care for there are retired thespians. She is a retired actress as well. Isn't that enough connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom