Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If as you say, other than at school, the boys were raised either by nannies or Diana, then I would agree she was the better parent, in fact the only parent. Where was their father during this time?

A loving mother who tried to show her sons what real life was like is part of her legacy.

If I recall correctly, William did not invite either parent to Parents Day so to not overshadow the other parents and to makesure the focus wasn't on them (Charles and Diana) but the other students. I don't recall reading that either Charles or Diana was bothered by this.

There is no question that Diana was a mother and a loving mother by all accounts. However, between boarding school days, the boys were effectively raised by nannies except when Diana wanted them to be part of her "I am a better parent than Charles" propaganda....IMO her image came first always...

If it is true that her image came first,( and while I respect your opinion I disagree with you.), then I do not think William and Harry would be the overall balanced young men we see today.And I know they get into mischief every now and then ( Harry especially), but what do you expect?
They are human, and make mistakes as we all do. They lost their mother during an essential time in their development. Give them a break, and look at the big picture: Overall, productive people. Diana did something right! I disagree with you about nannies too.

As far as Diana's nannies go there was only one at any period in time:
Barbara Barnes-82-87
Ruth Wallace- 87- 90
Jessie Webb- 90-92
Olga Powell- 92- 97
Source: Diana's Boys by Christopher Anderson
To me this does not seem like Diana had an army of nannies to rasie her kids!
However, Diana was a working, single mum so a nanny was necessary.
But I am sure Diana would have preferred to do it all herself...

Last edited:
Diana and Charles sent the boys to boarding school aged 8 and from then on the majority of the credit for how they turned out is due to the schools and not the parents as the staff at the schools had far more to do with raising them and teaching than either parent. Charles must also take more of the credit than Diana simply because he has been there more often than she was - they shared the time with them when she was alive but for the last years of their growing up it was Charles.

Regardless of how much she loved them she still gave them over to others to raise for the majority of the time.

She didn't have to do anything other than raise her sons if that is what she wanted to do. She chose to work and the downside was that she had to give others the right to make decisions about raising her sons and that was the schools she and Charles chose for their sons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Charles should take more credit or Diana should take more credit. They were both involved and played an active role in their children's lives. Both William and Harry publicly speak lovingly of their parents. And sadly after Diana's death Charles had to be a single parent which was tragic due to the circumstances.

If as you say, other than at school, the boys were raised either by nannies or Diana, then I would agree she was the better parent, in fact the only parent. Where was their father during this time?

A loving mother who tried to show her sons what real life was like is part of her legacy.

Diana and Charles both shared the upbringing and except when Diana wanted to paint herself as the better parent in her war with Charles they generally agreed on the way to raise their sons. On occasions Diana tried to paint Charles as a bad parent but the facts disagree on that. Most of the time they agreed on the raising of their sons and on shared custody. They sent them to good schools to ensure they were raised the way that they wanted them raised.

When the boys were on holidays they shared the time with them equally - one week with Charles and then one week with Diana e.g. the summer Diana died they spent a couple of weeks with her and then with him before going back to be with her for the week before returning to school (the number of days would have been the same). The same with their half-term breaks - half the time with her and half with him. If they visited with friends the remaining time was still equally divided between the parents - at the insistence of both parents. Diana hated Charles and he hated her but they both agreed that they both loved their sons and tried to put aside their loathing of each other to do a good job with the boys.

What they didn't have was a 'family' unit, unlike their York cousins whose parents were able to still do things together as a family despite the separation and divorce.

Charles lived at Highgrove and at St James' in London and the boys spent time with him in both places along with time with Diana at KP and then their time at Sandringham, Windsor and Balmoral.

Last edited:
At the time of Diana's death both she and Charles were on much better terms, friends imo. Charles even sent a bouquet of flowers for Diana on her 36th b-day. The Wales family during William's confirmation in June that year seemed united. They travelled in the same and Diana and Charles seemed very happy to be in each other's company. It was great that they were able to repair their relationship before Diana's death. Its sad the media has always tried portray Diana's relationship with Charles in those last months as strained. I remember reading an article years ago that once said that Charles was relieved that Diana was killed. What garbage. :bang:

Diana was forced to work by senior members of the BRF, and members of the Royal Household. They did not choose areas of intrest for her, or make her the caring person that she was. But they expected her to work. It was her duty.
The British people forced her to work, which was fair enough. She was their " diamond in the crown" their " star attraction". In order to remain so, she had to work. She had the distinction of Princess. She had to work to be worthy of it. She did.

Regardless of how much she loved them she still gave them over to others to raise for the majority of the time.
When the Princes where infants Diana, Princess of Wales did hands on child rearing. The nannies who helped her never where allowed to take charge.

She didn't have to do anything other than raise her sons if that is what she wanted to do. She chose to work and the downside was that she had to give others the right to make decisions about raising her sons and that was the schools she and Charles chose for their sons.

A child's most formative years are their youngest — from birth to age 5. A child's intellect, personality and social skills are developed by that age. When the left for school the Princes were developed by the Princess and Prince. By 1986 Prince Charles was living in Highgrove and only seeing his children on the weekends. Diana, Princess of Wales for the majority of the formative years shaped her sons personality and social skills. Princess Diana exposed the Princes to the homeless, aid patients and the common man. The Princess took Prince William to his first royal duty.

I don't know about others, but I was raised by my parents and their guidance help form my personality. Also your characteristic are past down to each generation. I think the Princes have the Princess' compassion. I think Prince Harry has her free spirit and fun. Prince William has Prince Charles seriousness.

So truly Diana, Princess of Wales legacy is her boys. And think about this. Is every child a legacy to its parents? My religion states that.:flowers:

Last edited:
Princess Diana's Legacy

Media scrutiny of the young Princess Diana was relentless. But as she grew comfortable with the spotlight, Lady Di used the attention to shed light on humanitarian issues, says Scott Stoddart, dean of FIT's School of Liberal Arts.

Video - What Was Princess Diana's Legacy? - WSJ.com

I think her legacy will be that she tried to raise her sons more like normal people, not like royals. Most royals didn't have the contact with the average person, like her sons did. She felt comfortable talking to the highest in society to the lowest. She didn't feel uncomfortable talking with someone who was from a much lower socio-economic standing than herself. A lot of royals would either feel uncomfortable in this setting or the person trying to converse with them would pick up on this and feel uncomfortable. I would feel very comfortable having a normal conversation with her and wouldn't feel like I had to be formal in speech when conversing with her. So would most common folk.

Yes, I agree. The BRF are generally good at putting people at their ease, but I think that Diana went further and watched soap operas and so on so she'd have something to talk about with "ordinary" people.

I think her legacy will be that she tried to raise her sons more like normal people, not like royals. Most royals didn't have the contact with the average person, like her sons did.

Yes, I agree. The BRF are generally good at putting people at their ease, but I think that Diana went further and watched soap operas and so on so she'd have something to talk about with "ordinary" people.

I think Diana, Princess of Wales tried to live her royal life as a normal person. She knew how her subject thought because she was once a commoner.

Last edited:
Diana was an amazing soul. I spent my childhood days in a very poor town in Pakistan where most people didn't even own TVs or knew how to read. They wouldn't have have been able to tell you where England was or even knew such a place existed yet they knew Diana. I grew up hearing about how beautiful she was and what a great person she was. I remember the day she died when people of that small poor town mourned like they lost one of their own.

I grew up admiring her. To me, she was from another world. Growing up, I heard many stories, controversies of her and yes she might have had problems in her real life but her public work overshadows everything. Her private problems were her alone and I don't think we should use them to judge her esp. now when she is not here to defend herself. Because if you ask those people in that town today, what they remember about her, they would tell you about what a beautiful person she was and what a kind hearted soul she was. That she touched the lives of not only those she met but those who she never met as well. She was, in every sense of the world, truly a people's princess and nobody would ever be able to change that.

Her greatest legacies are not only all the work she has done but also the two amazing wonderful young men she brought into the world.

To see how Prince William and Prince Harry have turned out, after going through probably one of the hardest thing a person can through, losing the most important figure in a child's life. To see how much of their mother is in them, from William's carefree laugh to Harry's rebel side, it makes me feel Princess Diana is still with us. I am sure, if she was here today, she would have been so proud of her two boys and to see how they have grown up to be such grounded, normal and happy young men. To become everything Diana wanted them to be. It gives me great pride to see them trying to keep their mother's legecy alive and keep her work going.

Last edited:
Diana at 50 - courtesy of high50.com

The following has been received from www.high50.com, an online community edited by former Sunday Times Style Editor Tim Willis.
The article is copyright to High50, and the Forums has been given permission to share with our members the section that appears below.

Diana at 50

A panel of experts and friends give their views on Diana at 50

On 1st July 2011, Diana Princess of Wales would have turned 50, so we have brought together a panel of experts and friends of the princess to give their thoughts on what Diana might have been like at this landmark age. Some of the key quotes below appear in the article which has been published on High50 today, 16 June 2011.

Peter York, the style guru who coined the phrase "Sloane Ranger" says:
"She would be doing something very Amortal of an American slant...she'd also be having lot of mental and physical therapy."

Bruce Oldfield, Diana's dress designer, says:
"I don't think she would have turned into one of those ladies who lunch or who are on the boards of endless charities, there was no self-aggrandisement behind her choices. She took things on where she could make a difference."

Michael Cole, PR and journalist; former BBC royal correspondent; friend of, and former spokesman for, Mohamed Al-Fayed says:
"I believe that she and Dodi Al Fayed would have married and, I am certain, lived happily ever after. She was always looking for a happy family life and in the Fayed family that summer 14 years ago, she found it. "We are all here in KP (Kensington Palace) suffering the most awful withdrawal symptoms", she told me when she returned from the south of France. "We have had the best holiday of our lives."

Oliver James, clinical psychologist, author and broadcaster says:
"She would still be manipulating the media and appearing to be a success but, in her intimate life, I suspect she would still be unhappy. I think she would have paled in the public's imagination; they'd have seen through her."

Anna Harvey, Vogue magazine, personal stylist to the young Diana Spencer says:
"I believe the late Princess of Wales would have set a maddeningly high standard for the rest of us women at 50."

The full article can be read at www.high50.com.

© high50.com
Thank you Paula :flowers:

Last edited:
Diana @ 50

Interesting perspectives..

IMHO The late Princess would have stuggled with the ageing process,and {certainly} been 'the mother-in-law fom Hell'...

Perhaps she might have ended up on a show similiar to Dr. Phil discussing her difficulties. Maybe not. Hard to say.

Hmm I definetly think Diana would have been seeing a counselor or psychiatrist to help her deal with her present and past issues. At the time of her death she finally accepted Charles's love for Camilla and she joked with him about making Camilla an honest woman. So there was definetly a step forward for her in making peace with the past. Dodi would have been a distant memory imo. I do think at 50 she would have looked amazing if she kept up the excercise and healthy diet. I do think Diana would have found it difficult to see her sons become men as most parents but I think over time she would accept that. And of course she would be on guard for the women who entered her sons' lives rightfully so; there are people out there who marry for wealth and not love. I do think Diana would have accepted Kate once she got to know her. Seeing her son marry for love and have stable and happy relationship would have made her very happy.

The only thing that I would have to agree is the living place. I believe she would have moved to America. The rest, is too hard to say. except for Al Fayed. I've read so in many places that his fling with Diana was just that, a fling. Nothing serious, I can see them getting married.
Regardless, it seems so silly to wonder about that. Shame her 2 boys had to grow up without a mother and that is the saddest part.

There is no question that Diana was a mother and a loving mother by all accounts. However, between boarding school days, the boys were effectively raised by nannies except when Diana wanted them to be part of her "I am a better parent than Charles" propaganda....IMO her image came first always...

Even the Queen, who is well known for her abject refusal to take part in what she terms "stunts" for the public benefit of the BRF, referred to Diana's "devotion to her two boys" in the speech HM gave the Friday before Diana's funeral. I doubt HM would have said that if it were not true, nor do I believe the Princes would so obviously and publicly cherish their mother's memory if she only used them for PR stunts to burnish her "image".

We all know William gave Kate Diana's engagement ring and we can all remember the "Concert for Diana" both Princes organised a few years ago, as well as the Memorial Service in the Guards Chapel. I think we should all remember Prince Harry referring to Diana as "the best mother in the world"; if that is the view of the two Princes, that says it all.

I have defended Diana many times on this forum and also posted what I believe to be the truth in discussions with those who somehow "sanctify" her. I never, ever thought that I would ever need to defend her record as a mother, though. It speaks for itself. Yes, Charles had to raise the boys himself after her death. Harry got into trouble in various ways after her death, the explanation always being how much time the two boys spent alone when not at school. Does anyone think they would have had so much time alone if Diana had still been alive?:bang::bang::bang:

I can't really picture Diana as an older woman, she seemed so much the type who would die young.
If she'd lived, I can see her as another Margaret, embittered and unhappy. Because I think it's nonsense that she would have ever married Dodi.

As it is, besides two stalwart sons, she leaves a legend and a song, and those are things that endure. Not a bad legacy, imo.

The only thing that I would have to agree is the living place. I believe she would have moved to America. The rest, is too hard to say. except for Al Fayed. I've read so many places that his fling with Diana was just that, a fling. Nothing serious, so really don't believe that they would've married.
Regardless, it seems so silly to wonder about that. Shame her 2 boys had to grow up without a mother and that is the saddest part.

You're right it is definetly hard to say what would have been. Though it is interesting that one person in the article predicted the date she would've have married Dodi and the names of their would have been children.

I think its hard to say what Diana what have done or become.

In the last year, I think she was coming to terms with certain relationships (such as her relationship with Charles) and yet she wasn't speaking to either her mother and her brother/sister. So perhaps at 50 she would have evolved to the point that she was content with all relationships in her life. But are any of us?

I have defended Diana many times on this forum and also posted what I believe to be the truth in discussions with those who somehow "sanctify" her. I never, ever thought that I would ever need to defend her record as a mother, though. It speaks for itself. Yes, Charles had to raise the boys himself after her death. Harry got into trouble in various ways after her death, the explanation always being how much time the two boys spent alone when not at school. Does anyone think they would have had so much time alone if Diana had still been alive?:bang::bang::bang:

Agree. To see videos of Diana is to see how much she loved them, and how much they love her. It's was in their body language.A naturality which has not been seen, definitively with the previous members.

More than anything I would've wish to see her happy, understanding mistakes of the past, and to be able to move on. Her former other half got his chance, didn't he?!

Last edited:
....Her former other half got his chance, didn't he?!

Her "former other half's" second chance had nothing to do with the death of Diana. She was the one who got in the car with a drunk driver and chose not to wear a seat belt.

What a presumptive thing to say.

Zonk said:
I think its hard to say what Diana what have done or become.

In the last year, I think she was coming to terms with certain relationships (such as her relationship with Charles) and yet she wasn't speaking to either her mother and her brother/sister. So perhaps at 50 she would have evolved to the point that she was content with all relationships in her life. But are any of us?

Diana's, Princess of Wales, legacy has left an impact, not on commoners, but on many royal heirs-to-a-throne. Her charismatic personality and her common touch was sought by the crown princes of European monarchies in their future crown princesses. I do not have to name the 'M's' or the one 'L,' you all heard and read of them many times. The late Princess of Wales' was a very unique person, just as I believe we are all in some way(s). She is 'for the ages' now. Her life played out the way it had to - fate inevitably intervenes for all. Fate decided when, where, and how she would perish from existence. Speculation on her life at 50 is for naught - her life ended when fate decided. None of the scenarios you all mentioned where ever meant to be. I only have praise for her - I will let her rest in peace. To do otherwise, only reflects on one's own inner evils.

Agree. To see videos of Diana is to see how much she loved them, and how much they love her. It's was in their body language.A naturality which has not been seen, definitively with the previous members.

More than anything I would've wish to see her happy, understanding mistakes of the past, and to be able to move on. Her former other half got his chance, didn't he?!

I agree with your wishes to see Diana getting the same chance to move on as Charles did. And I do believe she would have. The signs were all there; the auction, the new "naturalness" in her dress, hair and makeup; the down-sizing of her entourage, etc. Almost definitely she would have occasionally slipped backwards into old mistakes as we all do when moving forward.

I also agree with Zonk that it would be nearly impossible to guess just what exactly Diana would have evolved into being at age fifty, but I don't think her "no-speaks" with her family is too relevant as that seems to be how the Spencers operate, regardless of age.

I don't think she would have had anymore trouble with "aging" than Jackie Kennedy Onassis did. She would have followed in Jackie's footsteps and matured with grace and elegance as her age climbed upward.

But the only thing we can say for sure is that we will never really know and isn't that the real shame of it all? To go back in time, to change drivers, maybe put on a seat belt, etc... Hindsight is twenty/twenty and it reminds me of watching "Titanic", the movie - one almost wants to shout at the screen as each fatal error is made. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way and we are left with nothing but memories and conjecture. Diana in death is as elusive a personality as she was in life. Maybe that explains our continued fascination, negative and/or positive, with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom