Diana/Charles/Camilla's Relationships Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lashinka2002 said:
A naive man does not plan to manipulate the publics perceptions through the press.
Diana was the Queen of media manipulation.

Bottom line for me? That Diana chose to go through with it, to an older man she hardly knew, even with severe doubts and suspicions and the severe misery she said she felt all the way through. She had plenty of red flags waving the whole time, but she went through with it anyway.

tiaraprin said:
Removed for consistency with deletion of original

IMO Alicky is seeing the truth. That there were faults on all sides. Charles was definitly no saint but neither was Diana. She did manipulate the media to her own advantage, her cooperation with Andrew Morton shows just how low she was prepared to stoop to get her side of the story across. Diana did a great many good things in her lifetime, the biggest of which was the way she raised William & Harry. However, Charles has carried on the good parenting and it is a combination of their efforts that have turned William into the wonderful young man he is. Even though their marriage did not work Charles & Diana proved to be a great team in raising their sons. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please go back and reread my post on the last page. This sniping at each other is completely unnecessary.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

lashinka2002 said:
Please tell me what do you think her family would have done if she had backed out at the last minute? Supported her desicion, emotionally and financially? I think not! Especially the Earl. Had she backed out she would have been a lamb slaughtered anyways,

If the Spencer family behaved this way, did not support their daughter or sister when she expressed doubts about something as major as a marriage and a commitment before God, crown and country, then shame on them. Such a notion reflects extremely poorly on the Spencer family, more than it would ever have on Diana.

The one group of people everyone should be able to count on in this life is their family. If her family was so willing and eager to sell her out to the Windsors then they never truly loved her or cared about her, whatever and however much they cried over her and claimed to love her when she died.

They are a bunch of hypocrites if they heard Diana's doubts before the wedding and pushed her down the aisle to Charles anyways.

lashinka2002 said:
the media would have mustered up all sorts of things, the people would have been angry wondering "Why don't you want to be our princess?" probably pelting her with bread instead of Camilla, her family humilated and Charles forever known as the prince jilted at the alter. Had she backed out Diana would have been ridiculed in the media for the rest of her life, like a plague.
You know backing out is easier said than done, much easier to say when your not in that position.

Yes, calling off the wedding days before to the future King of England would've resulted in tremendous media attention, critique, questioning and probing. It would've lasted a few weeks, even a few months. But then Charles would've gone on with his life. He would've come out a victim and the search for a new bride for the poor jilted-at-the-altar Charles would've gone on. In a few months the media would've forgotten about Diana. Maybe there would be some minor interest in her if she got married or something scandalous happened in her life, and some interest when Charles got married. But mostly she would've been left alone.

So for a year tops of some media critique and scrutiny, Diana could've had a lifetime of privacy and happiness, and hopefully a marriage free of doubts. Doesn't that sound better than the life Diana got by walking down the aisle to a loveless marriage?

But also she probably would have lost alot with her family.

Reina said:
But also she probably would have lost alot with her family.

But with a family so willing to deny your feelings and sell you out to the Windsors to be eaten alive, who needs a family like that?

Genevieve said:
If the Spencer family behaved this way, did not support their daughter or sister when she expressed doubts about something as major as a marriage and a commitment before God, crown and country, then shame on them. Such a notion reflects extremely poorly on the Spencer family, more than it would ever have on Diana.

The one group of people everyone should be able to count on in this life is their family. If her family was so willing and eager to sell her out to the Windsors then they never truly loved her or cared about her, whatever and however much they cried over her and claimed to love her when she died.

They are a bunch of hypocrites if they heard Diana's doubts before the wedding and pushed her down the aisle to Charles anyways.

Yes, calling off the wedding days before to the future King of England would've resulted in tremendous media attention, critique, questioning and probing. It would've lasted a few weeks, even a few months. But then Charles would've gone on with his life. He would've come out a victim and the search for a new bride for the poor jilted-at-the-altar Charles would've gone on. In a few months the media would've forgotten about Diana. Maybe there would be some minor interest in her if she got married or something scandalous happened in her life, and some interest when Charles got married. But mostly she would've been left alone.

So for a year tops of some media critique and scrutiny, Diana could've had a lifetime of privacy and happiness, and hopefully a marriage free of doubts. Doesn't that sound better than the life Diana got by walking down the aisle to a loveless marriage?

Well Said Genevieve!! Well thought out opinion!!!

Diana did not come from a particularly warm, open and loving family, but I don't think that Johnnie and Frances were cold, cruel, plotting masterminds. I can't think of any examples that would make me think this.

Diana & her mother

Alicky said:
Diana did not come from a particularly warm, open and loving family, but I don't think that Johnnie and Frances were cold, cruel, plotting masterminds.
It was particularly disappointing that Diana cut her mother off several months before she died; I believe she returned her mother's letters unread. And all over a relatively innocuous Hello! interview her mother did to raise some money for her local Scottish church. Very sad.

What exactly was the feud going on between them? I know Diana tended to cut off relations constantly, but what was going on with her and her mother at the time?

I think she was upset because of an interview her mother had given with Hello magazine where she'd talked about Diana a bit, but the details escape me.

I think Diana was also unhappy that her mother didn't get her permission before hand. Frances sold the interview to raise money for a local charity. Perhaps Diana thought her mother sold her out.

Incas said:
I think Diana was also unhappy that her mother didn't get her permission before hand. Frances sold the interview to raise money for a local charity. Perhaps Diana thought her mother sold her out.

This is one of the reasons Diana cut off relations with her mother. Another reason stated in books by Ken Wharfe and Patrick Jephson was that her mother was being quite brutal about Diana's choice of dating Hasnat Khan due to the fact that he was an Arab Muslim. A reason brought up in Simone Simmons book(I don't know if it is accurate) was that Diana's mother was an acute alcoholic. Ms. Simmons goes on her book to say that is also why she became close to Raine towards the end of her life; that Raine was more of the mother figure Diana always wanted her whole life.

In regards to the Simmons book, didn't Ingrid Seward (editor of Majesty magazine) co-author it? So do you think it has some credibility to it?

tiaraprin said:
This is one of the reasons Diana cut off relations with her mother. Another reason stated in books by Ken Wharfe and Patrick Jephson was that her mother was being quite brutal about Diana's choice of dating Hasnat Khan due to the fact that he was an Arab Muslim. A reason brought up in Simone Simmons book(I don't know if it is accurate) was that Diana's mother was an acute alcoholic. Ms. Simmons goes on her book to say that is also why she became close to Raine towards the end of her life; that Raine was more of the mother figure Diana always wanted her whole life.

tiaraprin,
I am astounded that you have given any creedance to this charlatan who took Diana's money in life and is now making money out of the things Diana told her!! Given the fact that Frances Shand Kydd died of a nervous condition which, it was said, was similar to Parkinsons disease I think that the Simmons claim that she was an alchoholic is very cruel. :mad:
Personally I wouldn't even dirty my fingers by touching either the Simmons or Burrell books. Both parties have simply cashed in on their "relationships" with Diana to gain fame & money for themselves. I feel the same about the Wharfe book as this individual has, IMO, violated the undertakings he made as a Police Officer & later when seconded to the Royal Protection Squad. I hesitated long & hard before reading Jephson's book but will say that I was glad I did. The man was truthful but did not make up stories or attempt to sully Diana's memory or hurt her children with his claims; He simply told the truth as he had seen it and portrayed Diana as the complex person she was. His only sin, in most peoples eyes, was to decamp the "Saint Diana" myth.

Wymanda, my memory may be failing me, but I think Mrs Shand Kydd was arrested for drunk driving at least once in Scotland.

wymanda said:
tiaraprin,
I am astounded that you have given any creedance to this charlatan who took Diana's money in life and is now making money out of the things Diana told her!! Given the fact that Frances Shand Kydd died of a nervous condition which, it was said, was similar to Parkinsons disease I think that the Simmons claim that she was an alchoholic is very cruel. :mad:
Personally I wouldn't even dirty my fingers by touching either the Simmons or Burrell books. Both parties have simply cashed in on their "relationships" with Diana to gain fame & money for themselves. I feel the same about the Wharfe book as this individual has, IMO, violated the undertakings he made as a Police Officer & later when seconded to the Royal Protection Squad. I hesitated long & hard before reading Jephson's book but will say that I was glad I did. The man was truthful but did not make up stories or attempt to sully Diana's memory or hurt her children with his claims; He simply told the truth as he had seen it and portrayed Diana as the complex person she was. His only sin, in most peoples eyes, was to decamp the "Saint Diana" myth.

Wymanda,

I only read Simmons and Burrell's books because if you are going know everything and defend the Princess as I do, you have to read them. I didn't pay to read these books, I wouldn't give a dime. I work for a major bookstore chain here in the USA and I am allowed to take things home to read for free. I can tell you that Burrell's book is on clearance sale here for 5 dollars American and I still won't buy it; even if it cost one penny I wouldn't buy it.

I also wrote in my response about Simmons' claim a disclaimer of "if it is accurate."

I whole heartily agree that these people only want to cash in on Diana and they make me very sick. Unfortunately, you have to know what the charlatans are saying in order to be current and know how to defend.

I do disagree with you about the Jephsons' book. I think he did want to discredit Diana to a large degree. He was angry that Diana didn't tell him about the Panorama interview and was enraged about how stupid it made him look. The book offended William and Harry--William said so in a press conference at Highgrove. I stand with William and Harry on this one.

Lord only knows how hurt they are by Simmons' book and it makes me very upset and angry on their behalves.

tiaraprin said:
I do disagree with you about the Jephsons' book. I think he did want to discredit Diana to a large degree. He was angry that Diana didn't tell him about the Panorama interview and was enraged about how stupid it made him look. The book offended William and Harry--William said so in a press conference at Highgrove. I stand with William and Harry on this one.
It wasn't just because she did the Panorama interview. That would be pointless. His whole book takes you behind the story about it and about how Diana worked. And as far as William and Harry, I thought it was interesting that they are only wheeled out to slam a book when Charles's reputation is at risk. You don't see them denouncing Simmone's book, or Junor and Seward's books. :rolleyes:

Alicky said:
It wasn't just because she did the Panorama interview. That would be pointless. His whole book takes you behind the story about it and about how Diana worked. And as far as William and Harry, I thought it was interesting that they are only wheeled out to slam a book when Charles's reputation is at risk. You don't see them denouncing Simmone's book, or Junor and Seward's books. :rolleyes:

They should be out slamming any book that defames their mother. I wouldn't be surprised if Charles is getting a secret thrill to see his ex wife dragged through the mud!!

They are not going to slam Ingrid Seward though. Her husband, Ross Benson, is a good friend of Prince Charles. Anything she writes is sanitized for the House of Windsor.

I agree. I have no problem with books being written about Diana. Like Patrick said, she is a historical figure and she will be written about. But the cheap trashy plain old lies that Sewer and Junor pump out? That's not history.

Alicky said:
I agree. I have no problem with books being written about Diana. Like Patrick said, she is a historical figure and she will be written about. But the cheap trashy plain old lies that Sewer and Junor pump out? That's not history.

Junor has been the ultimate Charles' supporter until recently. Her book makes her opinion about Charles' relationship with Camilla quite obvious. She never supported his relationship with Camilla which shocked the heck out of me because she is in his camp. She goes on to say that Robert Fellowes was highly disapproving of Camilla. (this is all Penny Junor's ideas, I don't claim they are accurate).

Seward has an inside scoop due to her husband. Anything she writes one must take with a grain of salt because she is not going to step on Charles' or any member of the Royal Family's toes. Her Magazine, Majesty, has gone out of its way to promote Charles and Camilla through articles and her editorials.

Ugh, how quickly she forgot whose face it was on the cover of her magazine years before that helped it sell.

Alicky said:
Ugh, how quickly she forgot whose face it was on the cover of her magazine years before that helped it sell.

Ingrid Seward has not come out and said anything that is very insulting of Diana. She doesn't dare because William and Harry would be having words with their father. Ingrid Seward had a personal interview with Diana only a few months before she died. If insults are in her book as in The Queen and Di, they are attributed to the words and feelings of others such as the Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Margaret, the Queen Mum etc.

I've heard Seward as a royal correspondent a lot here, and she sucks up to C&C way too much.

Alicky said:
I've heard Seward as a royal correspondent a lot here, and she sucks up to C&C way too much.

You are catching on Alicky!!!!:) :D

Another piece of the puzzle.... :) ;)

Tiaraprin,
Ross Benson was not a friend of Prince Charles, good or otherwise. ( He died earlier this year) They both attended the school Gourdonston (sp?) around the same time. Ross Benson was in the year below Prince Charles. While they knew each other at school they weren't friends and there was no friendship to continue after Prince Charles left.

When Ross Benson was starting out as a young journalist he used his rather tenuous link to Prince Charles ( we went to the same school) and he became a royal correspondent with one of the British tabloids and wrote a society column.

He eventually resigned from his royal watching column and became a foreign correspondent ( he covered the first gulf war) He died this year aged 56.

His wife Ingrid would have no more inside information on Prince Charles than any other royal journalist as she and her husband were not part of Charles' social circle and never have been.

Charlotte1 said:
Tiaraprin,
Ross Benson was not a friend of Prince Charles, good or otherwise. ( He died earlier this year) They both attended the school Gourdonston (sp?) around the same time. Ross Benson was in the year below Prince Charles. While they knew each other at school they weren't friends and there was no friendship to continue after Prince Charles left.

When Ross Benson was starting out as a young journalist he used his rather tenuous link to Prince Charles ( we went to the same school) and he became a royal correspondent with one of the British tabloids and wrote a society column.

He eventually resigned from his royal watching column and became a foreign correspondent ( he covered the first gulf war) He died this year aged 56.

His wife Ingrid would have no more inside information on Prince Charles than any other royal journalist as she and her husband were not part of Charles' social circle and never have been.

oh i never know that!

why not Prince Charles and Ross would be friendship and more respectives!

Sara Boyce

Charlotte1 said:
Tiaraprin,

That is interesting. Here in the States, he has been named as a friend of Charles. I didn't know he died, what happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
Being Reasonable

:Originally Posted by tiaraprin.I wouldn't be surprised if Charles is getting a secret thrill to see his ex wife dragged through the mud!.

Tiaraprin, I understand where you're coming from but I think it's a bit unfair to speculate that Charles gets satisfaction from seeing his sons' mother "dragged through the mud". Instead I would think that he wished this seemingly endless series of "Diana Exposés" would cease, if not for his peace of mind then certainly for that of his sons.

There is nothing for him to be gained by the continual re-hashing of the details of his failed marriage by various so-called "insiders" many years after the event. The "War of the Waleses" ended long ago. People will believe what they want to believe, and support who they want to support no matter what any "startling new revelations" from questionable sources claim.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom