Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was that Lady Elizabeth Anson who accompanied the Princess Royal into the funeral service? She seemed rather more frail than I remember.
Any ideas why she would have been there?
Lady Elizabeth, Lady Mountbatten and Diane Vestur were all mentioned as special invitees (is that a word?) on the guest list supplied by the Grand ducal house. Her mother was married to Prince George of Valdemar, a first cousin of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte. That could be the reason or maybe, as in the case of Lady Mountbatten, she was just a good friend of Grand Duke Jean.

Lady Elizabeth, Lady Mountbatten and Diane Vestur were all mentioned as special invitees (is that a word?) on the guest list supplied by the Grand ducal house. Her mother was married to Prince George of Valdemar, a first cousin of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte. That could be the reason or maybe, as in the case of Lady Mountbatten, she was just a good friend of Grand Duke Jean.

I know that Lady Elizabeth is one of the best friends of Princess Beatrix (and was one of her bridesmaids as well). In turn Princess Beatrix is godmother to Lady Elizabeth's daughter Fiona. (The then Queen even prematurely left the royal wedding in Madrid to attend the wedding of Fiona at Lichfield Cathedral!).

I did not know that the friendship of Lady Elizabeth did stretch to more continental royals, like the late Grand-Duke Jean. What an intriguing network Lady Elizabeth has!

I know that Lady Elizabeth is one of the best friends of Princess Beatrix (and was one of her bridesmaids as well). In turn Princess Beatrix is godmother to Lady Elizabeth's daughter Fiona. (The then Queen even prematurely left the royal wedding in Madrid to attend the wedding of Fiona at Lichfield Cathedral!).

I did not know that the friendship of Lady Elizabeth did stretch to more continental royals, like the late Grand-Duke Jean. What an intriguing network Lady Elizabeth has!
If memory serves me right she's also been seen at royal celebrations in Oslo.

Ah yes - she is a well-connected Lady! Thanks for the info
I've heard her described as The Queen's 'party planner', but I'm now intrigued to find out more...

Thank you to all of the people who provided the identifications and other information concerning the funeral.

I have a couple of questions:

Who was the man standing in the vehicle with the coffin of Grand Duke Jean?

Why did Princess Margaretha appear to rank above her brother Prince Jean in the order of precedence at the funeral? Isn't Jean the older twin, and listed first in the guestlist which was posted earlier?

As an aside, it is interesting that although the order of succession to the Luxembourg throne probably is still governed by semi-Salic male preference outside of Grand Duke Henri's branch of the family, the order of precedence is governed by absolute primogeniture.

The most interesting picture of the weekend, four gentlemen captured in one frame:

Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias, former King of Spain

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú, standard-bearer of the Legitimists

Don Carlos Javier de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, standard-bearer of the Carlists

Jean-Cristophe Bonaparte, Prince Napoléon, standard-bearer of the Bonapartists.

Picture: https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0a87de4d26d6a3fdd6c5c4fb26e97ad2&oe=5D68BFC2

The most interesting picture of the weekend, four gentlemen captured in one frame:

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú, standard-bearer of the Legitimists

Don Carlos Javier de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, standard-bearer of the Carlists

Picture: https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0a87de4d26d6a3fdd6c5c4fb26e97ad2&oe=5D68BFC2

I suppose all four theoretically have supporters as claimants to the abolished throne of France. ;)

A small detail: The surname of King Juan Carlos is simply de Borbón y Borbón, without Dos Sicilias. For example, note his mother's name in the the royal decree of 1987.

2. Igual título y tratamiento recibirá la madre de Su Majestad el Rey, don Juan Carlos I de Borbón, Doña María de las Mercedes de Borbón y Orleans.

The name of Borbón-Dos Sicilias was taken up by Doña María de las Mercedes' half-brother, Infante Alfonso, and his issue, under his claim to the abolished throne of the Two Sicilies, but the other members of his family remained merely Borbóns.

Who is the young man next to Princess Margareta and Prince Radu of Romania?

Picture: https://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/IMG_8715-e1557037429935.jpg

It is Prince Dinis of Portugal, Duke of Porto.

He attended the national day in Romania last year as a guest of the Princess:
https://blogrealmonarquias.blogs.sapo.pt/infante-d-dinis-princesa-margaretha-e-5586660

Duc et Pair said:

And the duke of Bavaria,standard-bearer of the Jacobites - albeit reluctantly.

Last edited:
And the duke of Bavaria,standard-bearer of the Jacobites - albeit reluctantly.

It is not his fault he is first in line in the Jacobite succession. He never claimed that right though.

I suppose all four theoretically have supporters as claimants to the abolished throne of France. ;)

A small detail: The surname of King Juan Carlos is simply de Borbón y Borbón, without Dos Sicilias. For example, note his mother's name in the the royal decree of 1987.

2. Igual título y tratamiento recibirá la madre de Su Majestad el Rey, don Juan Carlos I de Borbón, Doña María de las Mercedes de Borbón y Orleans.

The name of Borbón-Dos Sicilias was taken up by Doña María de las Mercedes' half-brother, Infante Alfonso, and his issue, under his claim to the abolished throne of the Two Sicilies, but the other members of his family remained merely Borbóns.

I see, I indeed thought Borbón-Dos Sicilias was the family name. Thanks for the correction.

I could feel the "vibes" in that photo...the expression on Prince Napoleon's face...:lol:

And seating before them Duke Franz of Bavaria.

Why did the past King of Spain stands up for the non Royal Spanish Duke of Cadix 's Son ?

Why did the past King of Spain stands up for the non Royal Spanish Duke of Cadix 's Son ?

Maybe it was Don Luis who stood up for King Juan Carlos.

Anyway, they are cousins, so it is natural that they should greet each other.

They walked by... Would you have preferred the emeritus king to carry a chair everywhere he goes so he can sit down when his wife greets a cousin (his first cousin once removed) who stands up to greet her/them.

Here's 2 videos of the Royal Guests arriving at the Cathedral prior to the funeral Mass ,it looked like a cold wet Spring day in Luxembourg.

It was great to see everyone there and it was also a lovely surprise to see Elisabeth of Belgium with her parents as I hadn't expected her to attend. Nice to see the Princess Royal and Princess Beatrix chatting with each other too.
I agree with An Ard Ri that the photos posted by the Castros and other relatives after the funeral was in somewhat of a poor taste. It doesn't really seem right to see them all smiling after a service for their deceased relative.

I don't think he did. Looks more to me as if Sofia and Juan Carlos might have passed him and he stood up to greet them.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia were the first on the second row . The Duke Franz of Bayern on the fifth row , so they did not arrive at their very place when Don Luis greated him.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia were the first on the second row . The Duke Franz of Bayern on the fifth row , so they did not arrive at their very place when Don Luis greated him.

I assume the foreign royal guests were the last to arrive before the Grand Ducal family. My interpretation is then that Juan Carlos and Sofia were going to their seats when they walked past Don Luis, who stood up to greet them.

As you can see, D. Luis is at his seat while King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia appear to be on the church's aisle.

Yes Princess Gertrude and Mbruno we are right qnd this make sense.
Don't understand Somebody's strange answer...

I read that Tessy attended the service but not as an invitee but probably as the 'second' person for one of the 200 (double, so 400 in total) spots for the public (to which apparently her father subscribed). Did anyone see conformation for this?

Perhaps also in Luxembourg as all of them who attended the funeral also attended the Wedding there in 2012.

Prince Charles Henri attended the baptism of Carlos Enrique, Prince of Piacenza, in Parma (2016). He even captioned the photo with the baby Carlos "The two Charles Henri's". He was also pictured walking with his maternal aunts (sisters of his mother) and "guiding" them. If I am not mistaken, he also attended Prince Jaime's wedding (2013) so at least for Duke Carlos Xavier, his siblings/the aunts, they seem to have a good relationship with their first cousin/nephew Charles Henri. Charles Henri also mentioned in an interview that he does not take part in the dynastic feuds of the Bourbons.

This one, I'm not 100% sure but I do remember reading that his mother Marie Francoise attended the mass for her brother Carlos Hugo in Paris (2010).

Last edited:
I read that Tessy attended the service but not as an invitee but probably as the 'second' person for one of the 200 (double, so 400 in total) spots for the public (to which apparently her father subscribed). Did anyone see conformation for this?

The only things I have seen are her being 'snubbed' by not being allowed to sit with the family. Which is true, she wasn't seated with the family, but that is to be expected in the situation.

I don't know if that means she was only there as her dad managed to get two of the rare public tickets. It is more likely as the former granddaughter in law of Jean (who she is said to have had a close relationship with) she was invited. She simply was not seated among the family/royals as she is no longer a member. Her and her father were there for the boys.

Might be wrong but highly get any confirmation either way.

I don't know if that means she was only there as her dad managed to get two of the rare public tickets. It is more likely as the former granddaughter in law of Jean (who she is said to have had a close relationship with) she was invited. She simply was not seated among the family/royals as she is no longer a member. Her and her father were there for the boys.

Might be wrong but highly get any confirmation either way.

On the other side Hélène Vestur was invited and arrived with the other guests in Buses. She also sat not among the Family but i think in the section where the guests from former reigning Houses where seated. However Tessy weas seated more 9n the back of the Cathedral.

Had no idea the former Princess Tessy was there as I don't follow her.

I believe they were replaying the Grand Ducal Family's exit from the cathedral. They were obviously the first to leave.

I don't think there was a separate ceremony as the commending of the body was already done at the end of the mass, but I may be wrong.

No the Grand Ducal Family was last to leave. At the End of the Service the coffin was brought out and carried to the Grand Ducal Crypt followed by all the Famiily members. During the time they where in the Crypt all the royal and noble guests left and only then the members of the Grand Ducal Family.

Back
Top Bottom