Crown Princess Margareta, née Princess of Connaught (1882-1920)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Those lovely large hats of the period add to the stateliness of the beauty.

A photo of Crown Princess Margareta at Facebook of Sofiero Palace
We dive into the picture archive and find this beautiful picture of Crown Princess Margareta. The picture was taken at the Palace sometime around 1905 when she and Gustav Adolf received Sofiero as a wedding gift from King Oscar and Sofia.⁠⁠
Gustaf Adolf and Margareta were both very interested in gardening and it was not long before a completely new garden in the English style emerged. ⁠⁠'
If you want to know more about Margareta's deeds in the park, you can visit our exhibition "In the footsteps of Crown Princess Margareta footstep" which runs throughout the season in the Rhododendron House.

And the physician didn't make a Cesarean to get the baby out?

That's... what I've always wondered. Even though she died relatively suddenly, was there no attempt to save the baby? There seems to be a strange lack of information about it as well — if it was impossible, you'd think someone would have simply said something over the past century. :sad:

She was on her eight month of pregnancy, according to this article about princess Christina and her book about her grandmother.
Prinsessan Christina skrev bok om sin farmor – Hemmets Journal
I wonder whether she died of pre-eclampsia (cf. Lady Sybil in Downton Abbey); although according to wikipedia it was diagnosed as 'sepsis'. If left untreated it still risks the life of mother and child these days; and was the reason that two of my nephews were born 2-3 weeks early by provider-initiated delivery. Had the crown princess lived nowadays, she most likely would have survived, as well as her unborn child.

I wonder whether she died of pre-eclampsia (cf. Lady Sybil in Downton Abbey); although according to wikipedia it was diagnosed as 'sepsis'. If left untreated it still risks the life of mother and child these days; and was the reason that two of my nephews were born 2-3 weeks early by provider-initiated delivery. Had the crown princess lived nowadays, she most likely would have survived, as well as her unborn child.

No, from everything we do know about Margareta, she "just" had an infection, which is very different. No issues with swelling or blood pressure or anything else (She had also delivered five other children safely). She would have undoubtedly been fine with current antibiotics, whereas pre-eclampsia (or flat-out eclampsia) is still tricky and dangerous. She died while pregnant, but - somewhat unusually - not because of the pregnancy.

Last edited:
Margareta had been ill for a few months and had even been away in the mountains to recuperate, but as late as on the morning of the day of her death she had been her cheerful old seld before she suddenly took a turn for the worse. The pace of what happened was slow enough for there being time to send for her two eldest sons in boarding school a few hours train ride away but fast enough for her to already have died when they arrived in Stockholm.

Margareta had been ill for a few months and had even been away in the mountains to recuperate, but as late as on the morning of the day of her death she had been her cheerful old seld before she suddenly took a turn for the worse. The pace of what happened was slow enough for there being time to send for her two eldest sons in boarding school a few hours train ride away but fast enough for her to already have died when they arrived in Stockholm.

That's truly horrible. And incredibly sad. And then you wonder why Ingrid ended up being the worst-affected. Eeesh.

And nobody knows why they couldn't save the baby?

Let me quote from Princess Christina's book about her grandmother;
"On the evening of April 29th, a Thursday, she felt some discomfort in her right ear and got a fever. During Friday morning erysipelas was discovered and she had a disturbing rise of her temperature during the evening. On Saturday morning sepsis was diagnosed together with heart failure and in spite of doing everything possible at hand her life could not be saved."

Source: Hon kallades Daisy by Princess Christina, Fru Magnusson

I think it's quite understandable what happened to Margareta and why she died, but no one, Christina or otherwise, seems to mention the baby. If the baby had already died and there was no point trying a post-mortem Caesarean section, or if they tried and it didn't work, or if something else happened... why has nobody said it? There is a very strange silence for such a prominent case. Especially considering it's been more than a century.

I think clearly it must have been very difficult for her doctors because Margareta was obviously not well enough for surgery when she was still alive and she was clearly the priority, but something seems missing, somehow.

Last edited:
I think it's quite understandable what happened to Margareta and why she died, but no one, Christina or otherwise, seems to mention the baby. If the baby had already died and there was no point trying a post-mortem Caesarean section, or if they tried and it didn't work, or if something else happened... why has nobody said it? There is a very strange silence for such a prominent case. Especially considering it's been more than a century.

I think clearly it must have been very difficult for her doctors because Margareta was obviously not well enough for surgery when she was still alive, but something seems missing, somehow.
I've thought the same. Could a child survive their mother having sepsis long enough to be taken out? I wonder if this is a case of the doctors at the time and/or her relatives back then and/or now wanting to keep the matter private.

I wonder if this is a case of the doctors at the time and/or her relatives back then and/or now wanting to keep the matter private.

Because then you start wondering "did someone mess something up"? :ermm:

I mean, there's a fairly straightforward and detailed explanation of what happened to Margareta, so the lack of even the simplest explanation for what happened to her child (by...anyone. Anywhere. Family or attending staff...), after an entire century... is weird.

A mystery where there probably ought not to be one.

At the website and Youtube channel of The Royal Palaces

The exhibition "Daisy. Crown princess Margareta, 1882–1920" opens on 6th June. The exhibition is shown in the part of the Palace where the Crown Princess and her family lived.
Daisy. Kronprinsessan Margareta, 1882–1920 - Kungliga slotten
Translation

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPIu_T3pQhl/

Daisy – the flower princess
1915 saw the publication of a ground-breaking new book about garden design in Sweden, written in an unusually modest, personal style. The author was Crown Princess Margareta.
The simple, practical advice in the book 'Our Garden at Sofiero' remains useful more than a century later.
Daisy – the flower princess - Kungliga slotten
Daisy – blomsterprinsessan - Kungliga slotten

Traces of the crown princess
Ulriksdal Palace, with its beautiful location, was due to become Crown Princess Margareta and Gustaf Adolf's home. But things did not work out that way. Nevertheless, traces of the crown princess can still be found here.
Traces of the crown princess - Kungliga slotten
Spåren av kronprinsessan - Kungliga slotten

This summer, the exhibition "Daisy. Crown Princess Margareta" will be shown - about the dynamic and beloved princess who came to change the image of the royal house right up to the present day.
On site in the Hall of Mirrors, which was also part of Crown Princess Margareta's apartment, curator Bronwyn Griffith talks about "Daisy", the King's grandmother.
On June 6, the exhibition opens at the Royal Palace, here you get a preview!
The video has swedish subtitles, so you can translate them if you like.

Photos
https://johanoberg.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/margareta-cj.jpg
https://cached-images.bonnier.news/...ze=480:*&output-quality=80&output-format=auto
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Hi everyone, can I just ask is the book about Crown Princess Margareta (Daisy) by Princess Christina available in English.

Daisy. Crown Princess Margareta
On 6 June, HM The King will open the exhibition Daisy. Crown Princess Margareta, 1882–1920. The King’s grandmother was a dynamic and popular crown princess – and a pioneer within many areas – who changed the image of the Royal Family, even to this day. Who was this woman, who was so modern for her time but is now unknown to many? Meet a princess ahead of her time.
There will be a press preview on Thursday 3 June.
The exhibition will be presented by exhibition curator Bronwyn Griffith (the Royal Court of Sweden) and set designer and exhibition architect Ulrika Wolff (the Royal Court of Sweden).
Previews will be held at four times during the day, for a maximum of four journalists each time.
Daisy. Crown Princess Margareta - Sveriges Kungahus
Daisy. Kronprinsessan Margareta - Sveriges Kungahus

A new article at the website of The Royal Palaces
A princess ahead of her time - Kungliga slotten
En prinsessa före sin tid - Kungliga slotten

Thank you for all of the updates on the court's educational activities about Crown Princess Margareta.

I have a question not related to the exhibition: Why did the Crown Princess use the name spelling Margareta whereas her husband's cousin, who was born a few years before the Crown Prince Couple's marriage, used the name spelling Margaretha?

Thank you for all of the updates on the court's educational activities about Crown Princess Margareta.

I have a question not related to the exhibition: Why did the Crown Princess use the name spelling Margareta whereas her husband's cousin, who was born a few years before the Crown Prince Couple's marriage, used the name spelling Margaretha?

I don't have an answer for you, but this card uses Margareta and Märta when they were both known as Margaretha and Märtha. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/6c/6c/906c6cc1d0c1ac5704ad43f92713a719.jpg

Both spellings are used in Sweden. I suspect that the main reason for the Crown Princess to choose the spelling that she did was because it was the most similar to her original spelling of Margaret in English.

Posts and information about the exhibition "Daisy. Crown Princess Margareta, 1882–1920" that was opened as part of today's National Day celebrations, can be found here.

Extra interesting that the exhibition is on the floor of the Royal Palace where Crown Princess Margareta lived with Gustaf (VI) Adolf and the five children, Gustaf Adolf, Sigvard, Ingrid, Bertil and Carl Johan. Unique objects are displayed, from the royal collections, which belonged to the Crown Princess and for the first time fascinating material from the archives.
Fantastisk utställning om Daisy - en prinsessa före sin tid - GALA magasin
https://gramho.com/media/2588009002737063107

At Facebook of The Friends of the Royal Armoury/Livrustkammarens Vänner

On National Day on June 6, the exhibition about Daisy (Crown Princess Margareta) opened at the Royal Palace. One of the objects shown there is Crown Princess Margareta's ruby diadem.
It was made in London in 1905 and Margareta received it as a wedding gift from the British royal couple Edward VII and Alexandra. Edward VII was the brother of Margareta's father, Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught.
https://scontent-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=d8d0e575451b458a8f6a169def602c90&oe=60CBBA95

From the exhibition, a dress from around 1910, which is one of the few preserved dresses that belonged to Crown Princess Margareta.
https://gramho.com/media/2595290370667331342

At Facebook of The Royal Palaces:
Football summer.
Crown Princess Margareta was a pioneer as a sports royalty. Already the first summer in Sweden, she was on the cover of 'Ny tidning för idrott' (New magazine for sports) which could tell about the princess who played tennis and engaged in horseback riding and golf. The magazines were filled with articles about how the family played sports together. Here is a small film from the beginning of the 1910s where the Crown Princess plays football with Princes Gustaf Adolf and Sigvard at Sofiero. After a while, Princess Ingrid and Gustaf (VI) Adolf join.
Fotbollssommar. Kronprinsessan... - Kungliga Slotten

At Facebook and Instagram of the Royal Palaces
Arrival to Sweden
#onthisday on July 8, 1905, the married couple Prince Gustaf Adolf and Princess Margareta, now the Duke and Duchess of Skåne, arrived in Malmö for further travel to Stockholm. The program included several stops for tributes with fanfares and speeches, the princess received lots of flower bouquets with daisies. In the evening they reached Tullgarn Palace where they spent the night.
The exhibition 'Meet a Princess Before Her Time's. Daisy. Crown Princess Margareta, 1882–1920’ is shown at the Royal Palace 6 June-30 September 2021.
Prince Gustaf Adolf and Princess Margareta, early spring 1905. Photo from the Bernadotte Library's archive.
Tullgarn Palace, photo by Alexis Daflos/The Royal Court

https://www.instagram.com/p/CREAH6PJ_TZ/

At Facebook and Instagram of the Royal Palaces
Arrival to Stockholm
#onthisday on 9 July 1905 Prince Gustaf Adolf and Princess Margareta got up early. In Nynäshamn, they boarded King Oskar II's yacht Drott and continued the sea route to Stockholm. Once in the capital, they were rowed ashore in the royal barge Vasaorden. On the quay, a pavilion had been erected below the Royal Palace and many had gathered to pay tribute to the couple.
Pictures:
Prince Gustaf Adolf and Princess Margareta at the royal barge Vasaorden on arrival in Stockholm
Skeppsbron below Logården in Stockholm.Photos from the Bernadotte Library's archive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRGPfYGpXph/

Photos from the exhibition
The exhibition "Daisy. Crown Princess Margareta" is currently on display at the Royal Palace. She was our current king's grandmother. Margaret of Connaught was Princess of Great Britain and Ireland. She was born on Bagshot Park Manor near Windsor on 15 January 1882 as the granddaughter of Queen Victoria of Great Britain. She was called Daisy by family and friends. She attended two British coronations by Edward VII and George V (picture 2). During a trip to Cairo in January 1905, she met Prince Gustav (VI) Adolf at a ball. It was love at first sight (picture 4). For six months they were married and moved into the royal palace on the floor where the exhibition is shown. She liked to paint paintings and often with Prince Eugene. The paintings adorn several castle walls (Fig. 6). In 1906, the prince couple's first child, Prince Gustaf Adolf (called Edmund), was born, who later became the father of our current king. The family grew with four more children: Sigvard (1907), Ingrid (1910), Bertil (1912) and Carl Johan (1916). They lived a modern family life (picture 7) that broke traditional patterns, eg by sharing a bedroom. the first in the royal family to breastfeed her children and started a small school above the family floor in the castle so she had a lot of time with her children. The prince and princess received Sofiero castle as a wedding gift and created the beautiful garden on Sofiero that we can still enjoy today (picture 8). Daisy published two books on gardening. She played tennis, rode and played golf. In 1908, the Crown Princess founded Sweden's first female bandy team (then called hockey): Kronprinsessans HK. She took Sweden by storm. Margareta was a popular princess who wanted to make a difference for people and was actively involved in many of the biggest societal issues of the time and pursued humanistic efforts for the well-being of children, civil defense construction, the rights of the disabled and World War I for prisoners of war (Figure 9). In the winter of 1919/1920, Margareta fell ill and died on 1 May 1920 at the age of 38. An entire country mourned. Daisy was the first to be buried at the Royal Cemetery in Hagaparken - close to nature according to her wishes. A very beautiful and worth seeing exhibition.
https://gramho.com/media/2608517092208933293

More
https://gramho.com/media/2611840242658253169

Article about crown princess Margareta at Aftonbladet last weekend

This coronation mantle, which is almost four meters long, was made for Princess Margaret of Connaught (later Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden) before her uncle Edward VII's coronation in Westminster Abbey in London. 1902. She also wore it in connection with her cousin George V's coronation in 1911. The coronation mantle is shown in the exhibition about crown princess Margareta at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

Photos from the exhibition at a blog
Kronprinsessan Margaretha – Mrs Sixty

The exhibition about "Daisy, Crown Princess Margareta 1882-1920" at the Royal Palace was clearly worth seeing. A very interesting woman that I did not know much about before I visited the exhibition. The premises are also absolutely fantastic.
https://gramho.com/media/2627116831309448778

The 100 years coronation mantle looks as new . Its conservation must have been perfect.

Back
Top Bottom