Crown Princess Margareta, née Princess of Connaught (1882-1920)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very interesting thread! Thanks everyone for doing such great job....

You're welcome. We have to keep the threads about the historical royals going too. And Margareth is very interesting. Too bad she died thirty years before her father-in-law, so that she never became queen.

Crown Princess Margaretha certainly looked like her grandmother Victoria, didn't she?

I don't know, but I know her son prince Bertil looked very much alike her.

There seems to be a problem with that picture, Elenaris. I can't see it.

That's stupid! It should have mentioned Margareth too! She was a crown princess and two of her grandchildren are monarchs.

True enough. Born to Rule focuses only on five of QV's granddaughters though---I think only because they were queens.

1. Alix of Hesse - became Empress Aleksandra of Russia in 1894.
2. Maud of Wales - became Queen of Norway in 1905.
3. Sophie of Prussia - became Queen of Greece in 1913.
4. Marie of Edinburgh - became Queen of Romania in 1914.
5. Ena of Battenburg - became Queen of Spain in 1906.

Speaking of books on Crown Princess Margaret, does anyone know if there are any...in English print?

A little more about Margaret and her family:

When she and Prince Gustav Adolf met in Cairo, their families had hoped that he would like the younger sister, Patricia. But he very soon more than liked Margaret instead, so Margaret it was.

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark is called "Daisy" in her family, just like Margaret was. Queen Ingrid had a brooch shaped like a daisy, or marguerite (gåseurt in danish, prästkrage in swedish), and Margrethe had it on her wedding dress. Queen Ingrid got it from her father, in memory of her mother, when she (Ingrid) married in 1935. Queen Ingrid gave the Daisy-brooch to Queen Margrethe for her 60th birthday.

Crown Princess' Margarets oldest son, Gustav Adolf, named his first child after his mother too - Princess Margareta of Sweden, born 1934.

She enjoyed sports - skiing, but mostly ice-hockey and she had her own team, 20 ladies or so, and a few gentlemen.

She grew up at Bagshot Parks, where the Wessex´s live today.

In 1914 she and Gustav Adolf had some unexpected but dear guests in Stockholm - her first cousin Princess Victoria of Hesse and Victoria's daughter Princess Louise of Battenberg stayed in Stockholm after their very hasty departure from unsafe Russia, where they had visited Victoria's sisters, the tzaritza Alexandra and Grand Duchess Elizabeth. Louise - later Mountbatten - came back to Stockholm 9 years later as Gustav Adolf's 2nd wife.

The Royal Wedding: Princess Daisy of Connaught & Crown Prince Gustaf

The marriage ceremony was performed on the 15th of June, 1905 in St. George's Chapel - Windsor.

20pqwzc.jpg

:previous:

Thanks for the wedding picture Pss Marie Elisabeth! There is a thread dealing with the wedding too, though sadly with only one picture thus far: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ncess-margaret-of-connaught-1905-a-19463.html

A little more about Margaret and her family:

When she and Prince Gustav Adolf met in Cairo, their families had hoped that he would like the younger sister, Patricia. But he very soon more than liked Margaret instead, so Margaret it was.

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark is called "Daisy" in her family, just like Margaret was. Queen Ingrid had a brooch shaped like a daisy, or marguerite (gåseurt in danish, prästkrage in swedish), and Margrethe had it on her wedding dress. Queen Ingrid got it from her father, in memory of her mother, when she (Ingrid) married in 1935. Queen Ingrid gave the Daisy-brooch to Queen Margrethe for her 60th birthday.

Crown Princess' Margarets oldest son, Gustav Adolf, named his first child after his mother too - Princess Margareta of Sweden, born 1934.

She enjoyed sports - skiing, but mostly ice-hockey and she had her own team, 20 ladies or so, and a few gentlemen.

She grew up at Bagshot Parks, where the Wessex´s live today.

In 1914 she and Gustav Adolf had some unexpected but dear guests in Stockholm - her first cousin Princess Victoria of Hesse and Victoria's daughter Princess Louise of Battenberg stayed in Stockholm after their very hasty departure from unsafe Russia, where they had visited Victoria's sisters, the tzaritza Alexandra and Grand Duchess Elizabeth. Louise - later Mountbatten - came back to Stockholm 9 years later as Gustav Adolf's 2nd wife.

Thanks Anna-Amalia! Very interesting, I wonder why the family hoped that the prince would like Pss Patricia, as she was the younger sister and it was preferable for the older one to marry first.

I love that wedding photo too!

About why they wanted Gustav Adolf to choose Patricia instead of Margareth, it was because Margareth was a few months older than him (they were both born in 1882), and a wife was supposed to be younger than her husband.

That's a great picture and you can see the detail in the lace veil when it was first worn and later worn by Margrethe, Benedikte, Anne-Marie, and Mary.

You're Welcome Marengo :) .... I'll update the thread you posted with a few new pics ;)

That's a great picture and you can see the detail in the lace veil when it was first worn and later worn by Margrethe, Benedikte, Anne-Marie, and Mary.
So the veil was passed down to her Danish descendants? That was interesting to know. :D

So the veil was passed down to her Danish descendants? That was interesting to know. :D
It's been mentioned a few times that the veil came from Margareta but this is the first time I've seen her wear it up close to compare. Also, her Khedive of Egypt (where she and Gustav Adolf first met) tiara has been worn by all her female descendants in the female line (i.e. through Ingrid) on their wedding days.
Royal Jewels of the World: The Khedive of Egypt Cartier Tiara

It's been mentioned a few times that the veil came from Margareta but this is the first time I've seen her wear it up close to compare.

The veil was supposedly worn by Mary Donaldson in 2004. According to the information back then, she wore the veil Queen Ingrid had inherited from her mother and which has been used by her descendants. Queen Margrethe broke the blood-line tradition by deciding that Mary should wear the veil for her wedding.

Princess Margaret of Connaught was given a generous amount of Irish lace for her wedding in 1905. I don't know how much exactly; as far as I know it is the lace for the veil and several yards of lace for other purposes!

Some of the lace has since been incorporated as (detachable) panels on the various wedding gowns (IMO Queen Margrethe's 1967 dress is the finest example!)

As for the veil, when I write supposedly it's because I take it that it is the same piece of lace which has been used for a veil since 1905! To judge from the photos I have at hand right now it's difficult to see whether the veils worn by Princess Margaret and Mary Donaldson are identical! They might well be!

Also, her Khedive of Egypt (where she and Gustav Adolf first met) tiara has been worn by all her female descendants in the female line (i.e. through Ingrid) on their wedding days.
Royal Jewels of the World: The Khedive of Egypt Cartier Tiara

Alas, the Khedive of Egypt tiara is now lost for Denmark! It was bequeathed to ex-queen Anne-Marie of Greece, the youngest daugther of of Queen Ingrid.

The veil was supposedly worn by Mary Donaldson in 2004. According to the information back then, she wore the veil Queen Ingrid had inherited from her mother and which has been used by her descendants. Queen Margrethe broke the blood-line tradition by deciding that Mary should wear the veil for her wedding.

Princess Margaret of Connaught was given a generous amount of Irish lace for her wedding in 1905. I don't know how much exactly; as far as I know it is the lace for the veil and several yards of lace for other purposes!

Some of the lace has since been incorporated as (detachable) panels on the various wedding gowns (IMO Queen Margrethe's 1967 dress is the finest example!)

As for the veil, when I write supposedly it's because I take it that it is the same piece of lace which has been used for a veil since 1905! To judge from the photos I have at hand right now it's difficult to see whether the veils worn by Princess Margaret and Mary Donaldson are identical! They might well be!

Alas, the Khedive of Egypt tiara is now lost for Denmark! It was bequeathed to ex-queen Anne-Marie of Greece, the youngest daugther of of Queen Ingrid.
I remember reports saying that century-old Irish lace was used for Mary's veil and dress panels. Queen Margrethe did break tradition by letting Mary wear it (if it is indeed the same veil) since neither Marie-Chantal, Alexandra nor Marie have been allowed to wear it.

I also wonder if the blood-line tradition applies only through the purely maternal line, which means that Isabella and Maria-Olympia would not be able to wear it but Alexia's daughters will.

I was looking at the pictures in the #52 post in this thread and thinking how much young Ingrid resembles her Greek grandchildren. Some of the photos particularly reminded me of Philippos when he was about the same age as Ingrid in these photos. You can really see a strong resemblance between Margareta and Bertil, too. (And, what a handsome young man Gustaf VI Adolph was! I don't think I'd seen too many pictures of him when he was that young, but he's very attractive.)

I also wonder if the blood-line tradition applies only through the purely maternal line, which means that Isabella and Maria-Olympia would not be able to wear it but Alexia's daughters will.

So far the blood-line tradition has been straight forward because Queen Ingrid had girls only :)! The next in line to wear the veil are Ingrid's two unmarried granddaughters Princess Nathalie of Berleburg and Theodora de Grecia. I would be very surprised if they didn't, when (or if) they marry!
After that anything can happen IMO! The thing is that we don't know what provisions Queen Ingrid made for the veil & lace panels. Apparently it was bequeathed to Queen Margrethe and supposing that she in turn leaves it to CP Frederik, he and Mary will decide on its future use. I take it for granted that Pcs. Isabella will be wearing the veil & lace panels for her wedding - if it hasn't fallen apart before then:ohmy: - but with Maria-Olympia I am not so sure!

This is a picture of Ingrid's wedding. What do you think? Is it the same veil?

58710979zj9.jpg

This is a picture of Ingrid's wedding. What do you think? Is it the same veil?

Javist! :flowers:

I found a close-up of Pcs. Ingrid on her wedding day; it's in a book and I have no scanner I'm afraid, but the lace looked similar to that of Mary's veil . I wrote earlier that I believed it to be the 1905-veil of Margaret/Margaretha. But - on second thought: I remember reading something about the deceased Margaretha being covered (but no necessarily buried) with the veil. -If this is correct, I wonder whether it was the same veil??

But - on second thought: I remember reading something about the deceased Margaretha being covered (but no necessarily buried) with the veil. -If this is correct, I wonder whether it was the same veil??
I never heard about that. :eek:

I read in a book about Margaretha, called Darling Daisy, that she was covered with the veil before she was buried. I think it was during some sort of lit-de-parade. She was buried in her wedding dress, all in accordance with her own wishes. The veil was later given to Princess Ingrid, who wore it with her Swedish court dress and then at her wedding. More info about it is in the book about the Danish royal jewels by Bjarne Steen Jensen.

I read in a book about Margaretha, called Darling Daisy, that she was covered with the veil before she was buried. I think it was during some sort of lit-de-parade. She was buried in her wedding dress, all in accordance with her own wishes. The veil was later given to Princess Ingrid, who wore it with her Swedish court dress and then at her wedding. More info about it is in the book about the Danish royal jewels by Bjarne Steen Jensen.

Thanks Hanna Regina! I'll check Bjarne Steen Jensen's book, which includes the close-up photo of Princess Ingrid as a bride!

Lady Louise Mountbatten was born HSH Princess Louise of Battenberg. She was a sister of both Lord Louis Mountbatten and Princess Alice (Princess Andrew of Greece), who was Prince Philip's mother.

The Battenbergs were a morganatic branch of the Grand Ducal House of Hesse and bei Rhein [Hesse-Darmstadt] and some members had very close connections with Queen Victoria and the British Royal Family. Because of their morganatic descent many of the European families looked down on the Battenbergs as socially inferior.

It is kind of interesting that both of Gustaf VI Adolf's spouses were descendants of Queen Victoria. Crown Princess Margareta was the daughter of Queen Victoria's seventh child, The Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn. Queen Louise's mother, Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine was Victoria's granddaughter by Victoria's third child, The Princess Alice. Queen Louise and her stepchildren were thus Queen Victoria's great-grandchildren.

I tried to find books about Daisy, but couldn't find any. Are there any in print?

There is extensive conversation about the veil in the Danish documentary: Royal Jewels. You can see the :60 minute program on You Tube. It's quite interesting.

When Prince Gustaf Adolf proposed to Princess Margaret of Connaught in 1905, did not King Edward VII of England have to approve of the forthcoming marriage?

How well did Crown Princess Margaret get along with her mother-in-law, Queen Victoria?

LadyFinn, Thank you for the two photo postcards. The Crown Princess was an exceedingly lovely lady.:swedenstandard:

Prince Bertil with a painting of his mother, crown princess Margareta. The painting was at Villa Solbacken. Princess Lilian left it to king Carl Gustaf in her will.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

LadyFinn, Thank you for the presentation of the painting of Crown Princess Margareta!
A remarkable lady! A remarkable Princess!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria seems to have not been that easy to get along with, but I don't remember hearing about anything bad going on between her and Margareta. (Then again, Victoria spent a lot of time abroad, so I guess they didn't see each other that much.) But her other daughter-in-law, Maria Pavlovna, hated her in-laws and went back to Russia, even leaving her son Lennart behind.

Two photos (postcards)
https://img.tradera.com/images/049/181117049_6e4249ba-c8e0-4178-bfba-e19c8cd6ac94.jpg
https://img.tradera.com/images/050/181117050_9434850f-88e2-47f3-85d6-a270b61a4348.jpg

From National Portrait Gallery
National Portrait Gallery - Large Image - NPG x95980; Margaret, Crown Princess of Sweden

Prince Bertil with a painting of his mother, crown princess Margareta. The painting was at Villa Solbacken. Princess Lilian left it to king Carl Gustaf in her will.

Here, at the interview of queen Silvia, from 0.40, you can see this breathtaking painting "live". Now the painting is at the Royal Palace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSevjdAT64g

Another painting of crown princess Margareta
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hjOUPFvRLkE/U16FPinmINI/AAAAAAAAAn0/Z1TWHlb_Wxc/s1600/20140426_201926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom