Crash: 7 Victims & Perpetrator Dead, 10 Wounded at Queen's Day 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my God... those poor people, they came to celebrate the royal family and they got killed for it by that madman...
I was watching this live, it was like a movie, I couln't really believe what I was seeing... The first thing that went trough my head was: that must be a terrorrist attack. But it wasn't. It was an ethnic Dutchman, which makes it all the more horrible. How on earth could that man do such a thing? How on earth could he deliberately run over dozens of people and aim for the bus with the royal family in it? Oh, those poor princesses. They must be traumatized for life.

Really makes me sad considering the fact Apeldoorn put so much efforts in making Queensday 2009 a very special day. If only Juliana would have known this would happen on hear 100th birthday she would turn around in her grave. RIP to the victims and my deepest condolences to their families...

I'm so sorry to hear what has happened.:sad: My condolences to the people of the Netherlands.

What an awful day for th Dutch Population how awful. Too be told on top of everything that is was an assassination attempt on the beloved Queen Beatrix is an awful thought.
Does anybody know where the Royal Family are now?
You say there was a pregnant woman killed?
x

I couldn't tell from the photos that were posted just before this tragedy, so please excuse me if I am asking something that is obvious, but were the children of the Dutch RF present (Amalia, Ariane, Eloise, et al)?

The NPS cancelled the broadcast of the Queen's Day concert that was recorded at palace Noordeinde a few days ago and that should start right now.

I couldn't tell from the photos that were posted just before this tragedy, so please excuse me if I am asking something that is obvious, but were the children of the Dutch RF present (Amalia, Ariane, Eloise, et al)?

Nope, not that I know of. It didn't look like they were from the pictures of the family before the accident. Thank God.
x

No, they were at the palace Het Loo, waiting for their parents to arrive. They were supposed to participate later during the day though.

i am glad the kids wan't there! can you imagine how troumatic!!! i still in shock,!!!!! here in the US news, no news from holland, thank you for the internet!
my sincery condoloences to all ducth people, families involve in this crzy tragegdy!!!

I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that. I'm just wanting to know why links to pictures and such are being banned. I know it's out of respect, but people still would like to know what's going on. It's a reader's discretion whether they choose to view them or not. I really don't think that this is fair. I'd like to find out more information, and frankly it's hard to come by.

This is a horrible news. I can imagine the shock of the Royal Family and the people of Netherlands.
My condolence to all those who lost a member of their family.

acdc1 said:
I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that. I'm just wanting to know why links to pictures and such are being banned. I know it's out of respect, but people still would like to know what's going on. It's a reader's discretion whether they choose to view them or not. I really don't think that this is fair. I'd like to find out more information, and frankly it's hard to come by.

Only links that show graphic images of the victims directly are being removed. Links to gallery's with pictures or a picture of the general chaos are not. However we do not want surprised members clicking on a link and being confronted with graphic images. If they look at them it must be their choice. Personally I find it very bad taste that so many explicit pictures are around.

-------------
The driver of a trumpet orchestra is among the dead, a member of the group is now interviewed by Pauw and Witteman. Another dead person is a member of the Antillian dance group Ekspreshon Kultural from Almere. Two other members of that group are wounded. Five members of one family are wounded, the family is from Tilburg and are members of the drum orchestra 'Prinses Juliana'.

---
According to his neighbour, Karst T. was neat (keurig) polite. He had a job at the night and a study during the day. Before he lived in Velp. The last months he didn't allow other people in his house anymore.

-------------------------------------------

The labour party cancelled their 1st May festivities.

Last edited:
Are they showing pictures of the dead or something like that?

It's awful, but it's the news. They showed pictures of the injured and bloodied on 9/11, as well as in war photos from pretty much every conflict since WWI.

Are they showing pictures of the dead or something like that?

It's awful, but it's the news. They showed pictures of the injured and bloodied on 9/11, as well as in war photos from pretty much every conflict since WWI.

Of reanimations, blood, unconcious people etc. We at TRF decided that it is not appropriate to show these things here directly, what other websites do is their own decision of course, and people are free to look at the images. But again, we want it to be their choice and that they are not confronted by them by surprise.

-------

They showed the images of the RF on Pauw en Witteman, it seemed the RF realised it was an accident but that they did not think that it was an attack (my thoughts to for a second or so).

Last edited:
...they are not confronted by them by surprise.
I was actually confronted by the pictures by surprise when I switched on the 12 o'clock news today. The Tv channel showed the whole accident and the panic afterwards. I still cannot get the pictures out of my head. It was horrible to see this. I think it's the absolutely right decison that photos/videos of the attack aren't allowed to be posted here.

Although why couldn't a user post "Graphic content, viewer discretion advised" or something like that? That way it wouldn't be a surprise, and if they clicked on it they could know what they're getting into.

:previous:Is there really a need to post links to photos/videos showing people dying? I don't think so.

The decision has been made and explained in this thread as to why the pictures are not being allowed. Further discussion of this matter should take place via PM.

Empress - Dutch Forums Moderator.

Although why couldn't a user post "Graphic content, viewer discretion advised" or something like that? That way it wouldn't be a surprise, and if they clicked on it they could know what they're getting into.

acdc, if you wish to discuss this decision further, please PM one the Dutch moderators or admins. Thanks. :)

Sorry for being such a pain! Argument is dropped.

Reverend Visser, the reverend of the Grote kerk in Apeldoorn, is talking about today. He talked to several policemen after they held sheets to shield the victims from the crowd, who of course were very emotional.

I am holiday and just got up and turned on Sky News for the 9am news. They announced they were not going to screen the whole incident and instead showed a short clip of the aftermath and the Royal Family on their feet with their hands to their faces in absolute horror. I had not realised that all the senior royals were in one bus!

Thank the Lord the children were not with them. As it is I think this will be a horror that will live in the minds of the Royal Family for the rest of their lives. While they were on show for all of their people lineing the street, that meant they also had a birds eyes view of the aftermath.

I am truely horrified at how close that madman came to hitting the bus! To watch the frantic scenes in the immediate aftermath was heartbreaking, the picture of a small child standing there all dressed up to celebrate and tears streaming down her face seemed to say it all. How a happy day turned to horror in a moment.

I was so impressed by the Queen when she addressed the nation on Television later in the day. Her strength is amazing. Her pain there for the world to see. Knowing someone hates you enough to do this in an attempt to kill you must be devastating.

My prayers are with our Dutch members, and all the people of the Netherlands, my condolences to the families of those who were killed and seriously injured or who are in shock.

I am so glad that the royal children were not present. My heart just breaks for all of the children who lined up so excitedly to see the royal family, and were then confronted with this horror. Are all of the members of the royal family okay? I know that they weren't physically injured, but I worry about Princess Aimee, who is very pregnant. Something like this could cause one to go into early labor in an extreme case. I hope that she is okay. Have any reports been issued about the royal family's current status?

This is horrible, frightening, it seems nowadays you can't even attend a parade without taking the risk of being killed or hurt by an unscrupulous madman. My heartfelt condolences.

They are phycically ok, but the queen was obviously very emotional.

Realizing that the car was aimed at them, and people died because a crazy man wanted to hurt them must be a horrible thought. Even more so when you have young children.

According to various television station the family went to castle het Oude Loo, next to the palace. HM's speech was recorded there too.

This is rather shocking... in the U.S. you sort of get the impression that this isn't likely to happen in The Netherlands.

I'm very sorry for our Dutch friends.

My condolences to the Dutch people.
2v7zaxx.gif

I just got home and was finally able to watch the footage since my school has no flash so most videos don't work and wow the speech by Queen Beatrix was very moving, there were little subtitles in the video I watched so I was able to get most of what she was saying she looked deeply deeply upset obviously and close to tears. And the raw footage of the actual crash was so shocking, especially when they slowed down the footage I don't know what was worse the pictures or the videos.

I am deeply shocked and saddened by such a turn in events. How awful! My most sincere sympathy goes to all the victims and their families.

Back
Top Bottom