CP Mary's Transformation from the "Girl Next Door": October 2006 - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lena said:
Of course she is the same old Mary in her values. Also the pre-Mary high likely wanted to marry rich...and now she is married to a rich guy. And before you think this is another Mary-bashing...no, I do understand her...if you are meeting a nice guy, who is even wealthy, who wouldn´t grab him?
What i meant was that some people think she has no values or morals because she married a Prince, slimmed down and wears designer clothes- I know you are not bashing Mary but not all women would marry a Prince or someone just because they have money..But yes some would but at the end of the day it would have to work and they'd have to be in love and have some sort of common interests or it won't last long. I think Mary looks amazing now- i can imagine the pressure to stay slim being photographed neally every day would take a toll on you and some people just lose a lot of weight when under stress. I also liked the Mary of old but i guess she wanted to feel better about herself to shed some weight- She has many a stylist to help her but I think she has a good look about her that she can wear anything and look great- some people are just like that..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some have commented on Mary's weightloss prior to her wedding; isn't that what happens to most brides who are having big lavish weddings?

I don't see see what is so remarkable in Mary's 'transformation'. People who are often photographed will naturally become more aware of their apperance, not least their weight. It happens to actors, news people - and to royals.
As to dressing better and using better skin products I would be more surprised if she hadn't done that - like other princesses.
I honestly don't see what she has done which everyone of us wouldn't have done had we suddenly been put in the same spotlight.

The external change need not IMO be seen as something negative; it reflects a dramatic change in her life from an anonymous girl to a CP. The most important thing is that she is the same Mary who met Frederik - and I see no evidence that she has changed that because her wardrobe and beauty regime has changed.

There is nothing wrong with Mary's transformation, imho. She is the future queen of Denmark and has to present herself in a proper way. She looks to be a healthy, active 34-year-old mother, wife and princess. She is clearly a private person and so we don't get to see all her emotions as she chooses not to reveal them to the world.

Obviously she works hard to stay at a thin but healthy weight and she wants to look good in the clothes she wears but she is on display to the world 24/7 with their harsh judgments. She maintains as much of her private self as she can and there is nothing wrong with that. It's what makes her more regal, imo. She interacts with people warmly but there is a distance she projects due to her shyness and a need to protect herself.

There is no comparison to the PoW because Diana wore her heart on her sleeve. She was always displaying her emotional pain. Mary doesn't do that at all and that's all right with me.

Little_star said:
I think Mary has changed quite dramatically over the years and it seems to be something that occurred pretty much as soon as she met Fred.

The photos I've seen of her from 2000(and some from younger days) show a chunky woman with dull skin and bad taste in clothes. Since then she's shed the weight (and emphasised some of her bad physical feaures,imo) and clearly started using better quality products on her hair and skin.

As for her dress sense, I don't think she's got a style as such, she's well groomed and makes the classic mistake of thinkng that expensive clothes=style. At least that's my take on her.
Why this continued harsh focus on CP Mary? She has had a "transformation" but it has been for the better. She has not gained weight, she has not become skeleton thin, she does not look 10 years older than she is. Why is her self improvement different and more sinister than any other royal bride? There's a lot of jealousy of Mary, imo. And the last picture I saw of her, she wasn't wearing much make-up at all.

Princess Emma said:
Before and after pictures...anyone? Thanks

Billed Bladet: The photo was taken in 2002
outandabout.jpg

TV2: Jutland, 2004
MaryinJutland.jpg

Its obvious the Crown Princess had lost some weight but it was a gradual process and I sincerely believe she looked, and still does look, perfectly healthy.

Why this continued harsh focus on CP Mary?

Laviollette,

Conversing with those who hold a severe repugnance for Mary is not something I have found to be worth the time or effort of even contemplating since my response some time back to another harsh critic.

For whatever reason(s) they have for disliking this lady is of no consequence to anyone but themselves and if it makes them happy or content then that's fine.

I guess what I'm saying is that although I respect everyone's right to express their view (whether positive or negative) there are some things you just have to turn a blind eye to, and continuous disdain is one of them :flowers:

Last edited:
After looking at the before and after pictures, I think Mary looks more healthy now. Her physical transformation has been a positive thing.

Laviollette said:
Why this continued harsh focus on CP Mary? She has had a "transformation" but it has been for the better.
That's you opinion. Personally I think she looks alot more artificial now, than she did before in the sense that she doesn't seem as natural.

Laviolette said:
She has not gained weight, she has not become skeleton thin, she does not look 10 years older than she is.
Again, that's your opinion. I think her weight has reached levels that are incredibly skinny, imo (although she looks ok at the moment). As for her appearance, she can and does look older than her age (imo) but having seen photos of her sisters I think it runs in the family.

Laviolette said:
Why is her self improvement different and more sinister than any other royal bride?
Perhaps because she's the one who looks most different. If you compare her Starmakers photos with her photos now, it looks like a completely different person. I don't think any of the others look radically different in the way that Mary does.
Laviolette said:
There's a lot of jealousy of Mary, imo.
If you're going to be insulting, could you be at least be creative about it? I'm sick of being told that I must be jealous of Mary because I don't think she's wonderful. From what I've seen and read there's not much to be jealous of.

Last edited:
Laviollette said:
There is nothing wrong with Mary's transformation, imho. She is the future queen of Denmark and has to present herself in a proper way. She looks to be a healthy, active 34-year-old mother, wife and princess. She is clearly a private person and so we don't get to see all her emotions as she chooses not to reveal them to the world.

Obviously she works hard to stay at a thin but healthy weight and she wants to look good in the clothes she wears but she is on display to the world 24/7 with their harsh judgments. She maintains as much of her private self as she can and there is nothing wrong with that. It's what makes her more regal, imo. She interacts with people warmly but there is a distance she projects due to her shyness and a need to protect herself.

I agree with this post. Laviollette, I couldn't have put it better myself. Also, she has to dress nicely and it shows she has respect for her position in society.

I think Mary's transformation is simply an inspiration. What's wrong with wanting to be the best you can be? The world does prize the beautiful and I think Mary felt the pressure to fit the bill. I don't think she has changed SO much, but people need to stop bashing her for wanting to look and feel her best. Kudos!

Change is a hard thing for people to accept and I've noticed that women will be the first to tell other women "you're fine! you don't need to lose weight!" It's human nature to want people to stay in the same boat with you. As soon as someone starts reaching for more, she becomes threatening.

Lena said:
Of course she is the same old Mary in her values. Also the pre-Mary high likely wanted to marry rich...and now she is married to a rich guy. And before you think this is another Mary-bashing...no, I do understand her...if you are meeting a nice guy, who is even wealthy, who wouldn´t grab him?

Before, around the engagement and also partly after the wedding, she had this terrible habit of making a pouty face with the head up. It seems, she got this from the Starmaker course...thanks god, this has improved and she is looking more natural again.
I.

I agree with you on both these points, just look at the ex boyfriends she had, non of them were the average kind, and regarding the pouty face with head up, that was the first impression I had of her, as if to say, I got what I've been after !

The reason so many people on the forum feel this way, is because even though the other Cprincesses have become more attractive and classy, thay have basically remained approachable and natrual, which is something I couldn't say about Mary!

Thanks for the pics. She looked great then and looks great now- :)

Does anyone think Mary is ashamed in some way of her pre-Frederik and pre-engagement photos? To me, she was motivated in her transformation to go one step beyond what was necessary for her to fulfill her new very public role as CP and Danish cultural ambassador.

I'm sorry, but again, I think she rarely lets her guard down as far as her appearance goes...she never seems to have an "off" day, and sorry, but that's just not normal. Again, my question boils down to -- "too much of a transformation"?

I think she looked completely normal in the "before" pics.

what a little bit of a weight lost and some fashion clothes could do to you!!! She was already a very beautiful girl but now she hAs style, she knows how to handle in every situation, she knows how to dress, how to walk, she knows how to be a Princess!

I think a lot of the transformation has to do with the fact that when you are just a 'girl next door' you don't really need a wardrobe of ball gowns, evening wear and the likes. Her new wardrobe reflects the very different work/life style she is now undertaking. Her appearance needed to change tp reflect her new role.

I think Mary was quite a plain jane before she met Fredrick (Sydney olympics), she spiced things up when she dated him regularly, and did a complete change when she realized she would be marrying him! In all honesty, I think Fredrick must have liked what he initially saw in her, which in my opinion is warmth, simplicity and uncomplicatedness. He could have married any top model he wanted, and he chose her!

That's the cool thing. He loved her before she was camera ready. To me, that says a lot about her personality and her demeanor. I'm sure she felt the pressure to transform, but really,what's wrong with that?

biboquinhas said:
what a little bit of a weight lost and some fashion clothes could do to you!!! She was already a very beautiful girl but now she hAs style, she knows how to handle in every situation, she knows how to dress, how to walk, she knows how to be a Princess!

Absolutely agree:lol:

I do not see a major transformation, she was a healthy radiant girl, she still is one. She just loose SOME weight, this could happend to everybody.
Before she did not need to wear neither bal gowns, nor tiaras, now she is wearing them, just that is. If she worn them before, she would have looked simply the same, just with a few kilos more.
But she did not change radically anything, no surgery, no change of hair colour, no very sophisticated hair cut, she is the same woman., simple & chic

And where is the deal of being always chic, her people loves to see her elegant, why she should disappoint them??
And do not forget that is a strict dresscode to to her official appeareances, it woud be bad her appearing badly dressed, and inappropriate for the occasion.
All CPrincesses make the same effort, Mary just succeeds better

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandpa says that something changes with women when they marry and more when they have children. I dont understand it well since I hadn´t experinced it, but I believe it has to do with a not substacial growth. Seeing this pictures of Mary I think I have an idea of what he talks about. Besides all the grooming and styling behind Mary, she looks more confident. She is now a full grown woman

Last edited:
I love Mary's transformation and I dont consider it mysterious in any way. Make up, new clothes and weightloss....Where's the big deal?
And although i think she looked fine before the wedding and engagement, when i was viewing the pics posted earlier on the thread I caught myself thinking "Thankgod they gave her a stylist".:flowers:
Besides, going from the girl-next-door to something "more"...isnt that what becoming a princess is all about?

Mary has changed heaps......

Well before mary was crownprincess she looked really normal, nothing special. And now she has really changed: what make-up, haircut, facials, jewelry, clothes etc. can do for you!! Just amazing.

I dont know about why the weigh loss is a big deal. Its obvious that she is married to a CP, has duties to fullfill and therefore, she may be under alot of stress. I think it is normal.

Beofre being a princess, i think she was elegent and dressed simple. Marrying and becoming a CP made her change and thats what we see from all princesses. ex, CP letizia.

Interesting thread.

I do not see the this total tranformation. I see a 30+ woman who now shop in Danish stores and look more like a dane following danish fashiontrends, then an australian following australian casual dressing. Many of the danish brands she had been spotted wearing are affordable in term of a real pay check, though not cheap.

Outside that the so called total transformation is primarely a CP dressing for public duties. Hats, high heels and such. That is work wear and no different from other people who have to put on certain work wear.

Any Danes here? Have you read the new book about her? I read some excerpts in English from other boards, and I must say quite interesting and intriguing :).

planetcher said:
Any Danes here? Have you read the new book about her? I read some excerpts in English from other boards, and I must say quite interesting and intriguing :).

No, I have only read about the book in a 8 page article in a womens magazine about the book, the authors and Mary.

Every time I see Mary's "before" photos I'm struck anew by just how much she has changed. Especially the 'popcorn' photo and the one in the red skirt. She's SO much thinner, skin is many shades paler and has been dermatologically resurfaced...I'd venture to say she didn't have a whole lot of style before she became a princess. I'll echo what so many on this board have said: what a difference money can make!

Article about Mary's fashion style from hola.com. I'm afraid the translation may not be very good.

Original article can be found here: http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2006/10/31/mary-estilo/

The Princess is born and they become. That is, at least, which points a new book, Mary, a princess with style, of Jan Körner and Jim Lyngvild, on the transformation of Mary Donaldson in Princess of Denmark. For both authors, when Mary decided to accept the proposal of marriage of prince Federico, the Danish Real House gained nothing less than a super star. A fundamental prop with which it had the possibility of showing, whenever it needed it, the best face of the monarchy to the exteror world. And it put hands to the work. Immediately after the commitment, Palace was in charge of its metamorphosis in an icon of the style, a strategy with as much success that recently chosen more elegant woman was from the world by an English magazine. Both authors have crumbled the style of princess Mary through interviews with their personal estilista and its peluquero. There is no doubt that the Real House had a very clear idea of which looked for and that has operated the change. When comparing the first photos of the Princess when arriving from Australia with the present ones, we discovered a new woman. The Mary of today is substantially thinner and their clothes and its hair differ completely from which Lucia at the time at which she was lawyer in Sydney. A new woman the Real House contracted to everything a team of experts that turned it a modern European woman. The one that they managed to make of her an icon of the style has been a combination of skill, luck and doubtless qualities of Princess. In the book it is described how the estilista Anja Alajdi Stretcher meets with Mary to the week once to glide what there is to buy for his wardrobe. Nothing is left at random. For the authors, the attitude of the Real House has been everything a success, since we lived in a while in which everything is image question. The Princess has been a fresh air blowing for the Danish Court, that finishes losing to its previous star, princess Alejandra. But the image of Mary as icon of the style can be ajar, if they do not take care of his evolution. The authors of books consider that to date they have made it phenomenal: the embarrassed passage of just married to and, now, mother very gradual and has been guessed right. It has been able to change his style without stopping itself being faithful. As opposed to the considerations of Jan Körner and Jim Lyngvild, the princess Mary has confessed who its transformation in Princess Heredera has been without censorship nor slogans. "they have given much freedom Me so that it tries to find my own style, because it is very important to continue being you yourself, of another form you cannot be inheriting princess Mary and Mary. Naturally there is some difference, but often when I also go to some official commitment I am in good part i myself. I act of the form in which Mary would do... The form in which I know people and things thus, is not an act of a real Princess. Naturally, also they were all the questions of label that I have asked and learned, but have given much margin me so that it finds my own way, that I believe that is what it is due to do, because if you must fit in this hollow the thing long ago more estresante of which already is ".

Funny how Vanidades and Hola always call her a lawyer when referring to her former career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom