Catherine de Medici (1519-1589), Queen Consort of Henri II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catherine's favourite daughter,Claude de France future Duchess of Lorraine was born on November 12th,1547.

Claude of Valois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

464px-Claude_of_Valois1.jpg

Reading that wiki...did her daughter Anne really live to be 107 years old?

Ha,I never copped that,I would imagine it was typographical error and Anne of Lorraine died in 1576.

A very fascinating woman who was manipulated by her family particularly her two uncles if what I have read is correct.

A very fascinating woman who was manipulated by her family particularly her two uncles if what I have read is correct.

Poor Claude was married off as a pawn to the House of Lorraine :sad:

Which 2 uncles do you refer to?

:previous: Sorry, I meant the Guise brothers who were of course Uncles of Mary Stuart & not Catherine. :confused:

:previous: Sorry, I meant the Guise brothers who were of course Uncles of Mary Stuart & not Catherine. :confused:

Those Guise brothers were really some of the most powerful men in France and from what I've read Catherine couldn't stand them :lol:

In particular the Cardinal of Lorraine was a constant thorn in her side!

Royal Anniversary : March 27th,1615 -Death of Marguerite de Valois,Queen of Navarre,Duchess of Valois and of Auvergne.

Margot_Adult_02.jpg

Royal Anniversary :9th of April,1578 - Death of Marie Élisabeth of France

The only surviving child of Charles IX and Elisabeth of Austria,she was a favourite of her grandmother,Catherine de Médicis.

Marie_Elisabeth_de_Valois_Clouet.jpg

Royal Anniversary -April 13th,1519 :Birth of Catherine de Médicis

Catherine_de_M._et_monogramme_d%27Henri_II.jpg

I have read that Catherine de Medici was like an evil presence
dominating the French monarchy a malignant presence that eventually led to the French Revolution and the end of 1000 years of the French Monarchy while the British Monarchy went on and thrived............. even in the present day .

Of course there was the attack on the Knight Templars and the torture and murder of their leader by a former French King and that de Molay put a curse on the French Monarchy ......................

Eventually King Philip's Inquisitors succeeded in making Jacques de Molay confess to the charges.
On 18 March 1314, de Molay and de Charney, recanted their confessions, stating they were innocent of the charges and they were only guilty of betraying their Order by confessing under duress to something they had not done.
They were immediately found guilty of being relapsed heretics, for which the punishment was death.
This effectively silenced the other Templars. Philip continued to pressure and threaten the Pope to officially disband the Order, and things came to a dramatic end in 1314 with the public execution by burning of leader Jacques de Molay, and Geoffroi de Charney.

Much has been written on Catherine and most of it not very nice,if anything Catherine is one of the most maligned historical figures and history has not been too kind to her.

I think it is sad that when a woman does disgusting things like Catherine did they are excused, blamed on men not being nice to her or something else. If a woman does shady things hold her accountable just like the men.

So what "shady things" did Catherine do?

Catherine will never escape her own Black Legend she will be for ever the wicked queen,Elizabeth I did equally terrible things in Ireland but her memory is revered.

Catherine had some fine moments but her involvement in the brutal St. Bartholomew's Day massacre of 1572 has tainted her forever.

That is a good point An Ard Ri, there are other "bold women" throughout history who aren't painted as monsters like Catherine. I know Catherine the Great is sometime painted as a "loose woman" but she's not portrayed as a monster. There are some women who did evil things... Just like some men.

Catherine will never escape her own Black Legend she will be for ever the wicked queen,Elizabeth I did equally terrible things in Ireland but her memory is revered.

Catherine had some fine moments but her involvement in the brutal St. Bartholomew's Day massacre of 1572 has tainted her forever.

It is hard to judge those people by our modern standards, especially in light of the religious conflict that existed in Europe at the time. Elizabeth I, Philip II of Spain, Catherine de Médici, they all had blood on their hands in some sense, but, without condoning their acts in any way, from their perspective, they were doing what they thought was right to defend the “ true faith “ , or, more cynically, to protect their own crowns from potential enemies.

Last edited:
I don't think its hard at all:
The Inquisition was terrible
Ivan IV was Terrible (I can't help but to like the man)
Caligula was horrible
Bella Swan is a horrible book character [emoji11] [emoji6]

We constantly judge history, we just have to try to do it in context. For me I give the incest that takes place throughout history a pass and don't judge it.
I sympathize with the people of France but still think they took the revolution too far.

I only know sparse about Catherine but her misdeeds go beyond the massacre... Apparently she wasn't a good mother either, any comments from my MKOs?

Last edited:
Catherine de Médicis was related to many of the French noble houses and the Bourbons via her mother,Madeleine de La Tour d'Auvergne.

Catherine's maternal grandmother was Jeanne de Bourbon-Vendôme (1465-1511).

372px-Jeanne_de_Bourbon-Vend%C3%B4me.jpg

Her maternal grandfather was John III of Auvergne (1467 – 28 March 1501), Count of Auvergne, Count of Boulogne, Count de Lauraguais.

348px-Jean_IV_d%27Auvergne.jpg

Catherine's maternal great grandparents and great great grand parents

Great Grandmother

Isabelle de Beauvau,Countess of Vendôme (1436-1475)

Great Grandfather

Jean VIII de Bourbon-Vendôme,Count of Vendôme (1446-1477)

Great Great Grandparents

Jeanne de Laval (1405-1468),Countess of Vendôme
Louis Ier de Bourbon-Vendôme,Count of Vendôme (1393–1446)

All 4 are depicted on the stained glass at le Sainte-Chapelle du château de Champigny-sur-Veude. (courtesy of Wikipedia)

640px-Vitrail_dans_la_Sainte-Chapelle_de_Champigny-sur-Veude.JPG

5th of January,1589 -Death of Catherine de Médicis at the Chateau de Blois ,widow of Henri II and mother of the last 3 Valois Monarchs died on the eve of the Feast of Kings.Catherine de Médicis virtually ruled France as Regent dyring various stages from 1559 until 1574.

Attachments

• 10f801y.jpg
    10f801y.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 109
Back
Top Bottom