Birth of Prince Julian Herbert Folke, Duke of Halland: March 26, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, but to name royal dynasties or to determine which family holds a tile of nobility (attached BTW in Sweden and in the Benelux countries to a given family name), precise and objective family naming conventions are needed. [...]
That's not always the case. There are many people that are members of the Swedish nobility but doesn't carry the surname that is registered with the House of Nobility. When this happens it's noted in the "Adelskalender" the nobility register which is published every third year as "members of the family carry the surname of....".

Wonderful news! Congratulations ♥♥♥

So, yes, he was fudging the traditional dynasty naming convention in use in Europe for centuries under which Queen Estelle would belong to the House of Westling, unless she also took up her mother's name (as was decided in the main line for the Mountbatten-Windsor children, or for the Orange-Nassau).

To my understanding "fudging" signifies deceit, rather than choosing to follow current conventions over historical ones.

Under the traditional dynasty naming convention for use in Europe for centuries in the past (although not in the last two hundred years or thereabouts), Victoria herself would have been regarded as a member of the royal house of her husband, even if she would have been posthumously known as Victoria Bernadotte in the historical record. (And in those days, her husband would never have been a mere Westling. ;))

Sorry, but to name royal dynasties or to determine which family holds a tile of nobility [...] precise and objective family naming conventions are needed.

Precision and objectivity are not dependent on patrilineality. As of 2012 the name law was quite precise: Where parents bore a surname in common at the moment of their first child's birth (as was the case for Victoria and Daniel thanks to the latter legally changing to his spouse's surname), the surname was automatically inherited by the said child. The gender of each parent was irrelevant.

The Royal House's website is also precise: All of the King's descendants and their spouses are listed as "members of the Bernadotte dynasty".

In contrast, many other royal or noble families, whether we like it or not, have an imprecise approach to their family names; the discussions in the British and Belgian sections of this forum will testify to that. Japan uses no name whatsoever for its royal dynasty.

Titles, as well as royal dynasties, do get extinct under the rules of royalty and nobility, whether family members want it or not.

As matters currently stand, titles and dynastic rights have a higher likelihood of becoming extinct in Carl Philip's lineage than Victoria's. But yes, that is better discussed in the title-thread.

Last edited:
This little Prince was in a hurry to be born. They are already on their way home. So everything went fine and that is good. Now waiting for the Name Duchy and a cute photo of his little face.

The happiest days are when a baby is born! ???

Congratulations to the whole family!

Ohhh!! A little boy! I thought they would have a girl:flowers: but what matters is that the baby is healthy. Yet, it makes me wonder if they'll try for a 4th child? Who knows, but if they truly want a daughter, they might try, some people don't give up:D

This little Prince was in a hurry to be born. They are already on their way home. So everything went fine and that is good. Now waiting for the Name Duchy and a cute photo of his little face.
I thought the baby due date was late March/early April. If so, then the prince is not late, but on time.

Now every child of Carl Gustaf and Silvia has one child which is born in March.

That is great news! I had a feeling it'll be a boy. Cannot wait to hear the little Prince's name

Ohhh!! A little boy! I thought they would have a girl:flowers: but what matters is that the baby is healthy. Yet, it makes me wonder if they'll try for a 4th child? Who knows, but if they truly want a daughter, they might try, some people don't give up:D

I thought the baby due date was late March/early April. If so, then the prince is not late, but on time.

Perhaps they just wanted a third child regardless of sex and if they have another it certainly should not be because they are looking to have a daughter. No child should be looked upon as a consolation prize but unfortunately the parents of multiple children of the same sex have to put up with other people's assumptions that they would have 'prefered' one of their children to have been a boy or a girl.

Last edited:
Congratulations to them ! I am delighted !

Does someone already know at which time the council meeting will take place?

Alexander is an acient Greek name.
They went a bit more east for Gabriel, which is a biblical name
So I suggest Darius, an old Persian name and Persia is a bit more east than the biblical origins.

Prince Julian Herbert Folke, Duke of Halland.
During the morning, a digital statement of witness was held. During the ceremony, the Speaker of the Riksdag, the Prime Minister, the Marshal of the Realm and the Mistress of the Robes met via video the new member of the family.
The King then held a Council of State during which the government was informed of the Prince's name and duchy.
Prins Julian Herbert Folke - Sveriges Kungahus
Prince Julian Herbert Folke, Duke of Halland - Sveriges Kungahus

Photos from the Council of State, by Sara Friberg.
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...nselj-Foto-Sara-Friberg-Kungl.Hovstaterna.jpg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...j-Foto-Sara-Friberg-Kungl.Hovstaterna (3).jpg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...j-Foto-Sara-Friberg-Kungl.Hovstaterna (2).jpg

Video from the Council of State, the king tells the name and duchy in the end of the video.

Last edited:
Nice name! Is Herbert or Folke family names?

Folke is one of the King's given names. Not sure about Herbert but my guess is that if Family then probably somewhere in the Queen's Family.

Nice names.

I like that. Do we know if he is getting a Coat of Arms?

A nice name indeed.
How is Julian pronounced in Swedish?

Folke Bernadotte was married to the Estelle who inspired Victoria for her daughter’s name.
I also think to have read he was a favourite cousin of Princess Astrid, Queen of the Belgians.

A nice name indeed.
How is Julian pronounced in Swedish?

Folke Bernadotte was married to the Estelle who inspired Victoria for her daughter’s name.
I also think to have read he was a favourite cousin of Princess Astrid, Queen of the Belgians.

Count Folke Bernadotte was king Carl Gustaf's godfather and a very good friend of king Carl Gustaf's father, prince Gustaf Adolf.

I don't think anyone us would have guessed Prince Julian Herbert Folke and nice to see the Duchy of Halland being used again.

Julian! What a lovely name! I would never have guessed!

Back
Top Bottom