Bad-Tempered Princesses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ravine, thank you for sharing your experience with Princess Anne. She is a no nonsense woman, but has a keen sense of humor. She's always a dedicated and tireless part of the Firm, of which she receives very little attention from the press.
Princess Margaret is very interesting, she could be a snob, but I think it covered the fact that she was stuck in a life with few options for her. Since she was not born a male, she couldn't join the military, as Harry has and made a life of it, she couldn't go to University to study art or music, in her world at the time of the Fiftie's she was expected to marry and have a family plus carry out the required Royal duties. Preferably to marry an aristocrat. I think Margaret loved Tony Snowdon at first, but her marrying him was a rather act of rebellion against her Mother and sister and I believe Peter Townsend was the same.
When the reality of marriage and parenthood set in, she became very bored and sought out the world of the jet set and celebrity and it became worse, she began to drink more and more. (my opinion Only, not fact).
Margaret was an insecure woman and becoming snobbish about being Royal was a security and a way to make her feel worthy. (I believe.):flowers:

Duchess of Darwin said:
I don't blame Margaret or Anne either. They are the type of Princess who is not dependent on Marraige for her princely title, and could be Queen in her own right :princess2: :queen: :cool: To us Commoners, this is no excuse for not wanting to curtsey, but to a Princess, who is constantly bowed and curtseyed to (not to mention adressed as "Your Royal Highness" and "Ma'am"), it's a perfectly reasonable excuse not to curtsey.

Can you explain your sentence: 'To us commoners, there is no reason not wanting to curtsey...?'

Can you explain your sentence: 'To us commoners, there is no reason not wanting to curtsey...?'

What I mean is that to us Commoners, refusing to curtsey to a Princess on the basis that she is not Royal by birth is snooty. I can't put it any less confusingly than that.

Last edited:

Katrianna,I think your statement is true.Royalty,past,present and,future are all equal to everybody.

i get a feeling Princess Anne is bad tempered.... but born royal, im sure she has mastered the art of behaving differently in public...

Hi Katrianna (fab name),
I just felt I had to stick up for P Anne, I think she's very similar to her father P Phillip, he doesn't take any nonsense from anyone and has a brilliant sense of humour (I really wanted to hear what he said to P Harry on the balcony and Will & Kate's wedding, it just looked naughty). Unforutnately the press don't cover hard work, just fashion and gossip (of which they make up most of the time). I completely agree with what you said.
I don't really know anything about the late P Margarets personality, but even if she was a bit short with people, they were very diffirent times (that sounds so old fashioned DOH!), and she had to give up the one man she really loved, if I had to give up my man I'd become very resentful, especially if people kept giving me their opinions about it all the time, infact I'd probably knock them out LOL. But I guess we'll never get to know the real truth, which is a shame for nosey people like us lot:flowers: but now she's no longer here maybe we should let her rest in peace.

Open question for everyone, I've seen a few comments about P Letizia, does anyone know of any actual events where she's been bad tempered, coz although I don't know a lot about her, she comes across to me as a confident and together lady, the only time I saw any diffirent was her sadness at her sister's funeral, which ofcourse was completely understandable.

Ravine, thank you for sharing your experience with Princess Anne. She is a no nonsense woman, but has a keen sense of humor. She's always a dedicated and tireless part of the Firm, of which she receives very little attention from the press.
Princess Margaret is very interesting, she could be a snob, but I think it covered the fact that she was stuck in a life with few options for her. Since she was not born a male, she couldn't join the military, as Harry has and made a life of it, she couldn't go to University to study art or music, in her world at the time of the Fiftie's she was expected to marry and have a family plus carry out the required Royal duties. Preferably to marry an aristocrat. I think Margaret loved Tony Snowdon at first, but her marrying him was a rather act of rebellion against her Mother and sister and I believe Peter Townsend was the same.
When the reality of marriage and parenthood set in, she became very bored and sought out the world of the jet set and celebrity and it became worse, she began to drink more and more. (my opinion Only, not fact).
Margaret was an insecure woman and becoming snobbish about being Royal was a security and a way to make her feel worthy. (I believe.):flowers:

I haven't read anything about Princess Letizia being bad tempered or difficult although someone else here may have. I'm sure if she had, we would have read about it from Jaime Penafiel (I may have misspelled the name) as he has no love for Letizia.

Princess Letizia is very careful of her royal behaviour, the time that she interrupted Prince Felipe at the engagement interview and was so criticized must have shocked her terribly, she disappeared from the public eye for a time after that and when she came back she had had obviously a Princess Crash Course and in public is very careful now.
As to the Princess Anne and the Princess Margaret they were born royal and no- one that has not been born royal could possible understand their behaviour.
As to curtseying to royalty I don't expect anyone from America to understand this it is not your custom, you have no royalty. You seem to give exaggerated homage to whoever is occupying the White House, but that is your custom so no one should criticize another country's way of giving showing respect. As to the statement that any commoner is equal to a royal? As far as being a human being of course, but by accident of birth they have respect and loyalty given to them from the moment they were born and as long as the monarchy exists in GB this is going to continue.
The princesses not born royal have a much harder time, as they have had to learn how to be royal, it has not come naturally from birth as it did to Princess Margaret and Princess Anne.
Any bad temper can be blamed on their human side, their impeccable royal behaviour has been obtained from birth.
I remember an interview when Queen Sophia was asked if she considered herself a professional Queen (or words to that effect) and she answered "I was a Queen in my mother's womb".

I've never read anything about Letizia but her aunt in law The Infanta Pilar of Spain looks rather formidable :eek:

I've met Infanta Pilar when she lived here many times, and she is very nice but not one to suffer fools gladly.

I've met Infanta Pilar when she lived here many times, and she is very nice but not one to suffer fools gladly.

I've read she doesn't like the media!

I realize that HSH the late Princess Grace of Monaco passed away in late 1982, now so many eons ago. Any reported/known -like behavior in private or public? I read many years back she could be very hard to live with at times. Every marriage has it's woes, but she, reportedly, became very irate about her husband's, HSH the late Prince Rainier's of Monaco, philandering escapades.

HRH Princess Caroline's of Hanover, née of Monaco, husband is also reportedly very rude to the media/press; he is also said to be very eccentric. Any truth to these 'facts?' PCoH married HRH Prince Ernst August of Hanover in 1999 mainly for the 'HRH' title?

' PCoH married HRH Prince Ernst August of Hanover in 1999 mainly for the 'HRH' title?

Oh God, what a stupid thought :lol: - No, they married because she was pregnant with Alexandra :whistling:

Nice Nofret said:
Oh God, what a stupid thought :lol: - No, they married because she was pregnant with Alexandra :whistling:

Yes,
Well, do you think they only got married because she was pregnant? Did they have a boy or a girl? I am not sure if Alexandra is boy's name or a girl's name! I don't even know my name anymore!

{;-D} I am stupid, but I have a wonderful sense if humor!
No really, with HRH Princess Alexandra of Hanover the TRH's the P/Pss of Hanover have a beautiful daughter!

No, you're not stupid. If I was married to Ernst August, I would be bad tempered, then again, I wouldn't have married him, pregnant or not. :p

EA has hit some photographers with an umbrella, kicked a female photographer in her rear side in Austria, has been caught with 210km/h on a french highway and has urinated against the turkish pavillon on the EXPO grounds.

This is one of the photos before he started hitting the photographer: http://www.n24.de/media/_fotos/bildergalerien/ernstaugust/pruegelprinz.jpg

That's terrible :eek:

Having limited knowlege of The Monegasque Princely Family (and The Hanoverian House), I believed EA to be alright. If all this is true, I don't know how poor Caroline is still married to him.

HRH Princess Caroline's of Hanover, née of Monaco, husband is also reportedly very rude to the media/press; he is also said to be very eccentric. Any truth to these 'facts?' PCoH married HRH Prince Ernst August of Hanover in 1999 mainly for the 'HRH' title?
Why should she change a VALID HSH title for an invalid HRH. The Hanover's title no longer means anything besides honour and prestige, it has no legal standing.

.. well, EA is a privat person; why should he put up with all these paparazzis at his heels

I can understand, that this might be very ennoing - can't you? His reaction on the other hand is quite OTT, and not justifiable.

As far as I know, Mette Maritt, is very bad tempered! Out of the story, where she hit Haakon, I read also that when she was dating Haakon, once he spent the night to her place, and of course thousand of papz were there during thw whole night!
The morning out, MM stepped out to throw the garbages, she show them and she insulted them in a very bad and violent language and gesture!
Princess Anne is also reported to be difficult, bad not really bad tempered. I think that she is NOT a bimbo.

(bumping up another old thread, just because we can ;) )

When i saw this thread i couldn't imagine any really bad tempered royals, the ones mentioned in this thread are mostly (imo) royals annoyed by the media (like K.W-A of the NL when someone takes photos of his family outside the official photomoments)

But i do think that Ernst-August P. of Hannover (the (ex?) husband of P.Caroline of Monaco) might be qualified as bad tempered because of some of his antics in the past..

When I think bad-tempered I think:

Prince Charles - its been reported by numerous people and former staff that he throws things and has, basically, tantrums, when he isn't happy

Princess Tessy - I guess actually maybe she is just bitter and sad at the moment with her divorce, but she seems very passive-aggresive about the Grand Ducal family

Prince Philip - I actually think he is great but I think when he is cross or unhappy you know about it, a bit like Princess Anne.

I've heard a few stories about Mette-Marit but I think the worst was when they were flying and apparently she is afraid of flying so maybe that is why she was so tense.

given the wave of staff resigning in the last few months in harry and meghan's staff, something makes me think that there is something complicated about dealing with them, or with one of them in particular. 2 private secretaries resigned and this week it was announced meghan's female bodyguard who had been with the RF for a good 20 years is resigning too.

When I think bad-tempered I think:

Prince Charles - its been reported by numerous people and former staff that he throws things and has, basically, tantrums, when he isn't happy

Sorry to ask, but doesn't it bother you that your future king is said to "throw things" at people and have "tantrums" for no meaningful reason ? Mutatis mutandis, it brings me memories of the "Madness of King George" (not that I think Charles is actually mad, of course !).

To me Prince Charles . He wants to dream , to draw , to walk , to write late in the night because he hate mobile phones , his bio vegetables , his gardens has to be done like he likes, the water of his bath has to be collected etc...
I wonder how he will manage the contraints of his King Role at his age.

Sorry to ask, but doesn't it bother you that your future king is said to "throw things" at people and have "tantrums" for no meaningful reason ? Mutatis mutandis, it brings me memories of the "Madness of King George" (not that I think Charles is actually mad, of course !).

IIRC GEorge VI was prone to rages and tantrums over very trivial reasons...

given the wave of staff resigning in the last few months in harry and meghan's staff, something makes me think that there is something complicated about dealing with them, or with one of them in particular. 2 private secretaries resigned and this week it was announced meghan's female bodyguard who had been with the RF for a good 20 years is resigning too.

1. The female bodyguard didn't work for the RF for 20 years.
2. Harry's former private secretary resigned due to his wife's health or something.
3. Samantha Cohen's position was always temporary. She agreed to be with Harry and Meghan for only six months. But she is still working for them.

Last edited:
This woman, according to the original story in the Express, has left police work (Scotland Yard, the Met) altogether. If she had a problem with either of the Sussexes then she would merely have asked for a transfer.

And two Private Secretaries have not resigned from the Sussexes staff. Edward Lane Fox resigned last summer (for reasons to do with his wife's health it was mooted) after years with Harry. Samantha Cohen, who was an interim Private Secretary appointed in his place and only expected to stay for six months, is still on staff. One dresser has in fact resigned unexpectedly from the Sussex staff. Hardly a wave.

I think it probably use to bother people more a while ago, back in the 90s for example when people were still recovering from the War of the Wales' and all that went with it. Nowadays I think people recognise that we all have our flaws and that unlike the rest of us royalty can't (even if by choice) have time to themselves when there are protection officers, butlers etc around all the time so maybe they don't get the time to take a breath and count to 10 before answering back when something has annoyed/upset them. Personally it would bother me if he was like that all the time but it appears it is only once in a blue moon that he "hits out" and even those to whom it has happened say he always is very apologetic, maybe there are worse things to be.

People have all kinds of different tempers. Some get angry and restrain themselves until it bottles up and they explode. Some react instantly and explode and it clears the air. Some don't let things bother them at all. Its a matter of personal perspectives. Some hold grudges forever and walk around with grudge hairs all over themselves. Some dismiss a grudge after 15 minutes of blowing up and get on with life and refuse to hold said grudge because they shed horribly. Some people thrive on confrontations and then there's people like my mother who would get physically sick at any sign of confrontation.

From what I know about Charles, he lets his displeasure be known and demonstrates it. He also knows his personality and isn't above apologizing for an outburst. Then its over and done with. He's also a man that is not comfortable at all with confrontation. Many sources that I've read tell that Diana was a yeller and a screamer whereas Charles was just apt to walk away from the confrontation which annoys a yeller and screamer even more.

Everyone has a bad temper when things rub us the wrong way. We're just all different in how we express our displeasures. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom