Audiences with Margrethe & the Political Role of the Danish Monarch: 2004 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today the Royal Investigator, the head of the Social Democrats, Mette Frederiksen, has concluded her negotiations with her supporting parties.

That means she will seek an audience with QMII (and Frederik) informing the Majesty that she now has a majority behind her as the next Prime Minister and that she as a consequence will be able to form a minority government, consisting of the Social Democrats. - Supported by three other parties, who have all agreed on a political basis for the new government.

QMII will then ask Mette Frederiksen to form a government.
And tomorrow Mette Frederiksen will again seek an audience with QMII, informing her that she now has a government, and whether the Majesty will approve the ministers Mette Frederiksen has put forward.
QMII will of course do that.

Earlier today QMII asked the acting Prime Minister, Lars Løkke, to come and see her. QMII basically thanked him for manning the fort, while the negotiations conducted by the Royal Investigator went on.

He will also be called to an audience tomorrow along with the ministers of the former government.
QMII will accept their resignation and thank them for their service.

The formal handover will take place in the individual ministries tomorow afternoon, when all have seen the Queen.

Today, H.M. The Queen receives the chairman of the Social Democracy Mette Frederiksen and subsequently acting Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen in Christian IX's Palace, Amalienborg, at. 14.30.
HRH The Crown Prince is present.

Regeringsdannelse | Kongehuset

Both Frederik and the Queen have arrived
https://images.sn.dk/50/1329350_950_1200_30_0_1639_1133_2.jpg
https://images.sn.dk/54/1329354_950_1200_31_0_1638_1132_2.jpg

https://www.bt.dk/politik/baade-dronningen-og-kronprinsen-moeder-mette-frederiksen
https://sn.dk/Danmark/Baade-dronningen-og-kronprinsen-moeder-Mette-Frederiksen/artikel/851687?rss

The queen arrived back to Amalienborg by helicopter
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...til-amalienborg-i-helikopter#billede-120014-2

Frederik had been in Paris for the IOC session the last two days, but is back in Denmark and took part in the events today
https://www.dr.dk/live/nyheder/live/2881834

Looking at the new government within a DRF-context, the new ministers I think we can assume the DRF will have most to do with are Jeppe Kofod, the Minister for Foreign Affairs; Rasmus Prehn, the Minister for Development Cooperation; as well as Joy Mogensen, the Minister for Culture and Church. Occasionally also Magnus Heunicke, Minister for Health and Elderly Affairs; Lea Wermelin, Minister for Environment; and Dan Jørgensen, Minister for Climate Affairs and Energy Supply.

More audiences today, regarding the new Danish government. The Queen and Crown Prince Frederik attended.

27. June 2019, 11:00 am
HM The Queen receives the new Danish government at Christian IX Palace, Amalienborg.
HRH The Crown Prince also attends.

27. June 12:00 pm
HM The Queen receives the outgoing government at Christian IX Palace, Amalienborg.
HRH The Crown Prince also attends

Frederik arriving
https://images.sn.dk/60/1329860_930_9300_30_0_1639_1133_2.jpg

pictures from Amalienborg
Modtagelse af Danmarks nye regering | Kongehuset

Apparently today is the first time ever that the new minister of Foreigners and Integration, Mattias Tesfaye is wearing a tie.

Today is Constitution Day here in DK.

It's the closest thing to a national day we have here in DK, because we haven't got a national day.
And Constitution Day is not a day of national celebrations. It's simply a bank holiday.
It is however tradition that every politicians who is able to crawl and utter two coherent words, is out giving one or more speeches. So this day is very much about politics. And due to Corona and how to get out reasonably well out on the other side, it's even more political than usual.

That was the background.

President Trump has send a personal congratulation to QMII on the occasion of Constitution Day.
It's a pretty standard polite and friendly greeting that IMO has the State Department written all over it. But protocol dictates that such greetings are from head of state to head of state.
The only interesting bit is a reference to Greenland. Basically emphasizing that USA has interests in Greenland. - i.e. no Chinese and Russians allowed!

I guess the court will soon publish the greeting, so no need for me to translate.

The less than popular US ambassador, Carla Sands, has also send a greeting.

Last edited:
President Trump has send a personal congratulation to QMII on the occasion of Constitution Day.
It's a pretty standard polite and friendly greeting that IMO has the State Department written all over it. But protocol dictates that such greetings are from head of state to head of state.
The only interesting bit is a reference to Greenland. Basically emphasizing that USA has interests in Greenland. - i.e. no Chinese and Russians allowed!

I guess the court will soon publish the greeting, so no need for me to translate.

The less than popular US ambassador, Carla Sands, has also send a greeting.

Look forward to reading what the POTUS had to say about Greenland in this message.

Look forward to reading what the POTUS had to say about Greenland in this message.

Well, translated to normal English: Okay, we didn't buy Greenland, but USA is going to make sure we are exercising our influence in Greenland.
- And that wasn't President Trump speaking, that was the State Department. And as such the next president as well.

Well, translated to normal English: Okay, we didn't buy Greenland, but USA is going to make sure we are exercising our influence in Greenland.
- And that wasn't President Trump speaking, that was the State Department. And as such the next president as well.

Thank you. Good to hear that that things will not be dull on this front!

I would think that Denmark will be high on the agenda of the next US President (I will express no preference as I do not want to 'jinx' the election) but the former US ambassador to Denmark is now campaign manager to Joe Biden:flowers:

I would think that Denmark will be high on the agenda of the next US President (I will express no preference as I do not want to 'jinx' the election) but the former US ambassador to Denmark is now campaign manager to Joe Biden:flowers:

Interesting, I didn't know that.

The former US ambassador got married here in DK and he got to know M&F pretty well. (The Foreign Ministry no doubt appreciated that.) There was also a behind the scenes docu about him, I believe I wrote about in this thread.
He was certainly generally popular in the cities and among the younger segments.

The ambassador before that (covering the Bush administration) also gained respect, because he actually went out in the country and met ordinary Danes.

The current ambassador...
It is of course her job to sell the policy of her country and president. But it is evident she is not a professional diplomat.

It appears the DRF court doesn't publish all greetings.
But here is what President Trump wrote:
Your Majesty:
Denmark has long been a good friend and allied of USA.
It is a great honor for me to congratulate you on the day where you celebrate Constitution Day, the 5th June.
The strong and long lasting friendship between USA and Denmark is rooted in common values, deep personal relations and dynamic trade and investment-bonds.
While we look forward to reopening our consulat in Greenland we expect that our bonds will become stronger all over the kingdom.
Denmark has been a valuable partner and leader when it comes to promoting peace all over the world, including the global coalition for fighting Islamic State, NATO's mission in Iraq and NATO's mission in Afghanistan.
I wish you and the people of Denmark a wonderful Constitution Day, while you create new traditions (*) to adapt the difficult times, we all have ahead of us.
Yours sincerely
Donald J Trump

(*) Well, we actually don't introduce new traditions, because this day is celebrated politically and the only difference is that the public gatherings this year are reduced dramatically.
Political demonstrations are exempt from Corona restrictions, but advised against.

There was room around the table though, since only every two of the ministers attended - according to the rules regarding gatherings.

A fellow member PM'ed me and asked whether QMII (or anyone within the DRF) is briefed on the Corona situation and the lockdowns and what not.
Because there has seemingly been no announcements of QMII (and/or Frederik) getting briefed.
In other monarchies it has been announced that the monarchs there has been kept informed.
So what about DK and QMII?

- I thought this might interest others and decided to post my reply here.

Now, I'm willing to stake a month's salary, my Christmas presents and our dog on QMII indeed being informed. Regularly, when she needs to be informed and when she want's to be informed. There is no question about that.

QMII is briefed in three ways:

A) The regular State Councils. Where the government informs QMII (and Frederik) on the current state of affairs, intentions of the government and other things of importance. - Corona, vaccinations, lockdowns and legislation.
The government is always headed by the government, with the relevant ministers attending as well, depending on the topics of the meeting.
The ministers will provide in depth information and answer questions.
- Everything that takes place in a State Council is strictly confidential.

B) Meetings between the PM and QMII. (Presumably Frederik also attends at least from time to time.)
These are more personal briefings. Where government policies, intentions and opinions can be discussed.
The topics can include something like: The Crown Prince intends to propose to and eventually marry Miss Mary Donaldson.
- Ah, how nice. We'll quietly make some inquiries but the government should have no objections.

Or: The government will not and cannot support giving PH the title of king, king-consort or anything similar. The government strongly advise against any such plans. It is the government's view that such a move will be met with a strong and broad political and public opposition.

- You get my meaning?

C) Civil servant contacts.
QMII has a political advisor. (So has Frederik, but that political advisor was appointed in order to ensure that Frederik does comply with the wishes and recommendations of the Parliament. See the IOC vote, some years ago.)
That political advisor will from time to time contact high ranking civil servants within the ministries, probably the heads of departments, in order to ask questions or ask for guidelines or advise. That can for example be prior to a state visit. It's good to know what not to talk about when dealing with foreign dignitaries.
And all the other multitude of little details that could potentially become a political - or legal issue.
Like asking the Foreign Ministry to quietly make inquiries about a Miss Marie Cavallier.
Or being contacted by a ministry, saying that a person in USA offered to sell intimate information about Marie Cavallier to Danish papers. We have contacted the FBI and we won't hear more from him. - Which is indeed what happened.

- I hope this provided an adequate account of the information-paths to and from the DRF.

Thank you for that explanation! It seems that other Royal Families post the type of meetings you describe on their calendars and the DRF does not and also may post a photo to their social media. Like in the last week or so the Dutch Royal Family social media posted a photo of the monarch in a meeting about Covid updates and the recent riots there. I believe we see the same social media posted by Swedish and Spanish social media platforms...and sometimes also Norwegian. In fact, IIRC I've seen some of the same posted by the British Royal social media platforms. We do not hear about it as much with the DRF it seems (at least that is my impression).

Last edited by a moderator:
That may change once Frederik becomes king.

But we don't need to know everything that goes on behind closed doors, eh?
AFAIK no leaks or minutes have ever reached the public from a State Council. At least not since 1849.

That may change once Frederik becomes king.

But we don't need to know everything that goes on behind closed doors, eh?
AFAIK no leaks or minutes have ever reached the public from a State Council. At least not since 1849.

Oh of course we don't. I am not meaning to post agendas, transcripts or anything....I mean perhaps do like the Dutch or British Royal SM do which is to acknowledge the meeting (when possible) and post a photo of said meeting. ?

Today, FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 4TH

11.00- HM the Queen and HRH the Crown Prince receive the Prime Minister in connection with changes in the government

12.30- HM the Queen and HRH the Crown Prince receive the outgoing Minister

One of you asked me to explain how a general election works in DK.

For many of you this will be self-explanatory, so feel free to skip this post. ?
However, a number of countries basically have a two-party system, where one of them takes over an runs the country for the next period.
But in a number of countries there are many parties and it's common to have coalition governments and minority governments, that is the case in DK.

There are 179 seats in the the one-chamber DK Parliament, 4 of them are from Greenland and the Faeroe Islands, so the voters in Denmark decide 175 seats. Each seat represents roughly 20.000 voters.

This time no less than 14 parties run for Parliament. That's a lot!
The advantage of that is that no matter what you think are the most important topics, you can almost always find a party that suits your views. And if that party disappoints you you can usually find an alternative.
Having many parties also means that most people, who are remotely interested in politics can find a voice who represents them.
The downside is that with a zillion parties the government has to go through a major diplomatic process in order to accommodate everybody. And sometimes a small party has an influence that is disproportional with it's size.

Of all those parties five really matters. They are the ones that consistently form governments, whether they be right-wing or left wing, and sometimes center governments. The other parties are basically supporting parties to the government or the opposition. Even though it happens that a small party gets a seat in a government.

A three week election campaign is normal, seldom less and sometimes four or five weeks.
All adult Danish citizens can vote, including in theory the DRF. Around two weeks ago you could start voting by letter. That is you walk into a public library or town hall or similar with your social security card and ask to cast your vote, your are handed a ballot paper, where you put your X. At the same time you are being registered as having cast your vote, so you can't show up on election day to vote, you will be turned away.
If you happen to be in prison, in hospital or is a conscript you vote by letter. That is also the case if you live abroad.

About ten days ago the elections cards arrived in the mail. That card is personal and you use it when you go to vote on election day. On the card is your name and instructions on where to vote.
An election card looks like this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLDRiDzXUAA3kfk.jpg:large
The area where you vote is automatically determined by the address you are registered to live at. In my case an area in Eastern Jutland.
The election card is strictly personal and it's criminal offense to use someone else's card. Or destroy someone else's card.

General elections are for whatever reason always held on a Tuesday.
So tomorrow my wife and I will stroll to our local school, where we are to cast our votes.
Here we will approach election official and present our election cards. They will check our names and make sure we haven't already cast our votes, and then present up with a ballot paper.
Presenting the election card and being handed the ballot paper:
https://images.jfmedier.dk/images/1...ad6_40_90_0_0_6016_4016_1440_961_2af0caec.jpg
Casting your vote:
https://berlingske.bmcdn.dk/media/c...kampen-om-at-f-indvandrere-i-stemmeboksen.jpg
The ballot boxes: http://mreast.dk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Valg.jpg

The ballot paper contains the parties and the candidates that run in your area. And it's pretty long!
https://k9-drupal-images.k.dk/k9-dr...ddeles_stemmeret.jpg?h=cfed6c56&itok=8g7pBhn1
In detail:
https://www.jurabibliotek.dk/view/book/9788771984545/Images/Fig_003.jpg
You can either vote for a candidate or a party. You vote by putting one X with a pencil and behind a curtain. No one but you are allowed behind the curtain while you vote, not even children, unless they are very small.

If you vote for a party the votes go to the candidates in descending order. Once the leading candidate has enough votes, the remaining votes go to the next, the third and so on, until all votes have been distributed.
But if you prefer a particular candidate your vote go to ensure that candidate a seat, if possible, regardless of his or her position as a party candidate.
Once a candidate has enough personal votes to ensure a seat, the rest of the votes go to the party and the other candidates in descending order.
But of course a candidate with a lot of personal votes carry a lot of influence.
Some candidates can easily secure his/her party four or five seats and as such that person is very influential within his/her party.

The election always starts at 08.00 and it ends at 20.00.
And then the votes are being counted - by hand.
Around 21.00 enough votes have been counted to give a rough idea of the result.
Around 22.00 sometimes 23.00 the result is pretty much a given thing. I.e. we know whether the government or the opposition has won the election.
It happens that it's a very close run and then we only know for sure around 01.00 or so. - I think that will be the case tomorrow.

Once the result is known the government or the opposition will either admit defeat and congratulate the other side. Or the result is unclear and then they will call for a Queen-round.

A Queen-round (that's almost a certainty at this election) means that each of the parties that have seats in the Parliament will go see QMII and each will name a person they wish to lead the negotiations in order to form a government. - Normally it will be the winner of the election, either the acting PM or the leader of the opposition.
That person will be requested by QMII to try and form a government. And then the negotiations will start. The official title is: Kongelig Undersøger = Royal Investigator.

Danish governments are either coalition-governments consisting of 2-5 parties (2-3 parties being normal). Or minority governments. Which means they must make political deals with opposition.

If the Royal Investigator cannot form a government, there will be a new Queen Round and typically, but not always, a new Royal Investigator will be appointed by QMII.
The record length of time it has taken to form a government after an election in DK is 35 days.
If for whatever reason a couple of months go by and it is not possible to form a government, the Parliament can convene and call a new general election, so that the people can sort out the mess.
There is no such thing as months of negotiations in DK, and certainly not right now. The public won't accept it.

Once the Royal Investigator has negotiated a government in place and ensured that there is not a majority in Parliament against it, the Royal Investigator will go to QMII and inform her that it is possible to form a government. QMII will respond: Go ahead.
A little while later the Royal Investigator will present the new government on a list to QMII and upon getting an: Approved. The new upcoming ministers will be presented to QMII and then the takeover will take place in the individual ministries and that's it.

It often happens that a government wins the election hands down, and in that case the acting PM will inform QMII that the government continues and it now returns to become a functioning government. - Usually there will be a government reshuffle though, but that's a question of presenting the new ministers to QMII.

But nothing happens without the Monarch.
All legal authority in Denmark, including the authority of the government, is in the name of the Monarch.
No government is legal without the approval and signature of the Monarch.

:previous: Indeed.

The PM came at 11.00 to formally give the resignation of the government. - But will continue as a business ministry.

Then at 14.00 the party leaders (no less than twelve this time!) arrived for the Queen Round. In order of size, the largest party first, each of them named the one they believe should lead the negotiations to find a new government.
Most named the now acting PM, Mette Frederiksen.

- And it will now be her job to try and find a coalition that does not have a majority against it.

- My personal bet will be a minority government consisting of two parties.
It will probably take up to a couple of weeks to reach that point.

Queen Margrethe received the acting Prime Minister at Christian IX's Palace, Amalienborg this evening and was informed about the progress - a government consisting of representatives of the Social Democrats, the Liberals and the Moderates is planned and it expected to be received by Queen Margrethe on December 15:

** kongehuset: Regeringsdannelse **

Indeed, Iceflower.

We have a new government. After about six weeks of negotiations - a record long period.

First the protocol.
The acting Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, who had been appointed Royal Investigator went to QMII and informed Her Majesty that she is able to form a government, that does not have a majority against it. - QMII then replies: Go ahead, form your government.

What happens today is that the three leaders of the parties forming the government will present the basis for the new government and outline their intentions. At the same time the ministers are picked.
Tomorrow, Mette Frederiksen will go to QMII again and announce that she has a new government in place, she will present the list of ministers and after getting an OK by QMII, the new ministers will be presented to QMII and then they will meet the press outside Amalienborg.
The formal handover will take place in the individual ministries. And as soon a minister has taken over that ministry is working. So in less than an hour of the presentation outside Amalienborg we have a new government in place and which will begin working right away.
The ministers who have been replaced will then go to an audience with QMII who will thank them for their service.

It is a very unusual government!
It is a government consisting of three parties across the political divide. A true center (right) government. A remarkable feat, because up until the general election on 1st November these three party leaders really didn't like each other. But somehow they have managed to agree on forming a government together. The last time a similar government across the political divide was formed was about 40 years ago and it lasted 14 months.
To put in into perspective, it is equivalent to Labour, the Conservatives and the Liberals forming a government in UK, with a Labour PM.
Or the Democrats and Republicans in USA forming an administration with a Democrat president.

It is going to be a reform-government and it is also going to be an unpopular government.
Partly because all three parties have to eat some serious compromises that really goes against their individual party ideology and all three parties have to betray crystal clear promises during the election campaign and last but not least: Because this government is going to introduce and vote through some serious reforms, some of which while perhaps being necessary, will be very unpopular.

I'll give this government about two years. Then a new general election will be called.
By then the reforms will have been voted through and the co-operation will no longer be ideologically sustainable.

Last edited:
The Queen and Frederik will be present tomorrow to recieve the new and outgoing government.

December 15, 2022, at 10:00am
The Queen receives the new government at Christian IX Palace, Amalienborg.
https://www.kongehuset.dk/kalender/h-m-dronningen-modtager-den-nye-regering-1

December 15, 2022, at 11:15 am
H.M. The Queen receives outgoing ministers at Christian IX Palace, Amalienborg.
https://www.kongehuset.dk/kalender/h-m-dronningen-modtager-de-fratraedende-ministre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom