70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite Infanta Cristina in the supper in full dress, he was really beautiful and elegant, the dress was very pretty is of which I have liked more.

I really didnt like the red dress mabel wore !

Does anyone know why Pavlos and Marie Chantal didn't attend? They had been on the official guest list.

catango said:
So far the best has been Princess Maxima.

I agree with you! I love evrything: the dress, the jewel and the hairstyle.

monica said:
My favorite Infanta Cristina in the supper in full dress, he was really beautiful and elegant, the dress was very pretty is of which I have liked more.

Ditto sis, I totally agree with you:flowers:

Can someone show a bra to the Dutch royals (cept for Maxima)? Please. Beautiful dresses and they don't wear the proper undergarments.

kaffir said:
Can someone show a bra to the Dutch royals (cept for Maxima)? Please. Beautiful dresses and they don't wear the proper undergarments.

I honestly do not spot any problem with the bustes of both Princesses.

Can you please explain me what was the problem with the busteholders of Princess Mabel?

Princess Mabel 1

Princess Mabel 2

And can you please also explain me what was the problem with the busteholders of Princess Laurentien?

Princess Laurentien 1

Princess Laurentien 2

Thank you, in advance.

Thanks Henri M and lilytornado for the photos :flowers:

Princess Mabel's style

Princess Mabel is an adept to the designs of the worldfamous couturiers Viktor & Rolf, she already was befriended with before she became a princess.

Taste is in the eye of the beholder, but it is clear that the Princess simply follows the collection of Viktor & Rolf. They used bows, then futuristic designs, and now they use see-through (but not naked) in their 2007 collection.

The V&R collections are always praised in the Mecca of Couture - Paris - for their technical craftmanship in their designs. At last the Princess showed she is not afraid to wear what she likes to wear. That is the Mabel we know.

A Mabelian gown by Viktor & Rolf - in black

This was Princess Mabel's gown - in white

Princess Mabel maybe could better have opted for this 'less naked' option (wíth a bow hehehe)

:flowers:

Last edited:
In terms of royal "support",Mabel isn't so bad. However in close ups of Princess Laurentien one can see that she really needs a bra. This is especially evident in close ups of the red halter dress.

Regarding Mabel's dresses: Not everything that comes down the runway is suitable for wearing at dignified functions like royal events. This doesn't mean that she cannot wear V&R at royal events, just she must choose more tasteful outfits than the attention-grabbing, shear dresses she wore this past weekend.

Example of an appropriate and tasteful gown V&R gown: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Dec2005/05121703.jpg

Episode of 'Blue Blood' with coverage from Oslo

Regarding ladies' gowns: we see the pictures made with sharp flashlights and it looks like Princess Mabel's bra could easily been seen. But these gowns are made for ballrooms illuminated by hundreds of gentle chandeliers. The skin is hardly seen through the texture. Only when the 120 photographers outside the palace 'bombed' the couple with their sharp flashlights, it did look as if she was 'nude'. I'm sure in real it was a fantastic gown.

Via this link you see the Dutch program 'Blauw Bloed' coming from Oslo. The filmed arrival of the guests really did look completely different than on the pictures.

EO - Programma's - Blauw Bloed - Koning Harald 70 jaar - 24 februari 2007 19:30 uur

Click on 'open in de mediaspeler'

It will eventually ask you for Realplayer or Windows Media and Small- or Broadband. The video lasts 35 minutes. Enjoy!

It is certainly true that women who are public figures need to be mindful as to how garments transpire on film and pictures. I'm sure that Mabel was well aware that there would be lots of press and photographers at the festivities. However, it's not so much the environment, the settings, or the media that makes the dress a bad choice. It's the fact that Mabel would dare wear a dress (the black one) that shows off her undergarments in the presence of dignified sovereigns and other royals. That's what I found distasteful, rude, and inappropriate.

Last edited:
I think one way or another all the royal ladies did well over that weekend even MM whose style has been a little off in recent times. BUT MABEL goodness such a pretty girl and it is constantly AMAZING that she looks odd or gets it wrong or however one wants to put it IMO.I was pleased to see Mary looking so fresh and I looked Mathilde hat for the sleigh ride outing. Maxima looked all in all lovely. Thanks for the photos all of you.

Alisa said:
It is certainly true that women who are public figures need to be mindful as to how garments transpire on film and pictures. I'm sure that Mabel was well aware that there would be lots of press and photographers at the festivities. However, it's not so much the environment, the settings, or the media that makes the dress a bad choice. It's the fact that Mabel would dare wear a dress (the black one) that shows off her undergarments in the presence of dignified sovereigns and other royals. That's what I found distasteful, rude, and inappropriate.

I can count two handfuls of royals which showed more (and bare) skin. Without the 120 flashlights bombing Princess Mabel's pale winter skin, the bra was actually hardly visible.

Remember the Duchess of Cornwall. On the evening of their announcement she wore a daring red gown, underwhich the white bra could be seen. In reality, in normal circumstances you would never have seen her bra. It is really the horrible epilepsy-awakening flashes which showes more than in reality could be seen.

Now I have seen Princess Mabel's red gown in movement, with the awesome diamonds, I now even think she was one of the very best dressed ladies during the Court Ball!

crisiñaki said:
I love Madeleine, but that dress was more appropiate for a Mick Jagger girlfriend in the Teen Choice Awards than a royal woman in a gala event, regardless her age:rolleyes:

Victoria is the other side of the spectrum, she looks like a middle aged matron with her dress (Dennis, forgive me):cool:

Ha ha ha. Very funny on that first part. Less so on the second! Just kidding. I understand. Two sisters with opposite problems when it comes to fashion. Ironic. :)

Smilla said:
I tried to watch the video, but the colours were all wrong - really wrong, just horrible neon colours instead of "real life" colours. Did anybody else have the same problem? If so, what did you do about it?:neutral:

Yeah, it looked a little bit faded to me. No neon colors though.

"I don't know what MM was saying, but she wasn't willing to let Cristina go"

"I know I'm Norwegian and all but at times like this I wish I was in a sunny part of Spain. Please take me to Spain! A high of 20 C would be great right about now. Please, take me back with you!" :lol:

Larzen said:
My favourite of the evening , Princess Alexandra SWB, she looked so classy and refined, a 1000 times more elgant than the bleeched blond on Joachims other arm
http://img40.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=58449_sx0bdef2_122_103lo.jpg

Other favourites Mette-Marit
http://img19.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=58883_sx0bdfef_122_110lo.jpg

Laurentien
http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Feb2007/07022317.jpg

and Maxima, mostly because she made a very symphatetic impression during the broadcast I thought, and she finally had nice hair and makeup

I think the Grand Duchess and Silvia also chosen nice dresses even if we have seen them before

Oh my god...

Madeleine looks more like Paris Hilton than a princess of sweden :innocent: :innocent:

Laurentien and Märtha Louise looked so elegant at this evening

In keeping with their northern most status, I thought it was a wonderful 'touch' for Iceland's President - Olafur Ragnar Grimsson - to have no hat on, during the sleigh ride.

I learned President Grimsson is considered a bit controversial at home. Hence I wondered then if anybody knew how he connected with his beautiful second wife - Dorrit Mousssaieff - who to my knowledge is more British and originates from Israeli?

Gloria78 said:
Oh my god...

Madeleine looks more like Paris Hilton than a princess of sweden :innocent: :innocent:

Nothing to do with Paris Hilton ... Princess Madeleine is far more elegant .:)

Princess_Beatrix said:
Maxima looked stunning! I totally disliked her first galadress, but the green one was simply beautiful! :)
It's unbelivable that she again wore a new Tiara! It looked nice on her! But I didn't like her hair ... i like Tiaras much mor worn with hair up!
Maxima wore the Pearl Tiara before, just without the pearls.. it looks better with the pearls. :)

Well on the other hand, i do find the hairdo very stylish (and original in Maxima, I haven't seen previously with it - correct me if i am wrong). Still, as I mentioned in other threads, the chignon (hair-up) is the one i believe suits her most. It even makes her look younger... though she is young...

About the green dress...mmm maybe a darker green?

I really loved seeing all the great pictures and really felt I had nothing to add until now... Can someone explain to me why CP Victoria always plays down how pretty she really is? IMO, she always looks like she is about 40 instead of a beautiful young Princess.
On another note, Princess Madeleine is stunning, although I don't know much about the Swedish royal family. She has got to be one of the most beautiful young woman in the world.
OF course, Maxima always looks very pretty, but to me the best was, of course, my favorite Princess Mette-Marit. I was glad to see her ditch the dark blue and black for some lighter colors. I think she looked really beautiful and elegant. I also loved the video where her and CP Haakon were cuddling, it was nice to see that they are not afraid to be photographed showing how much they love each other.

Can someone explain to me why CP Victoria always plays down how pretty she really is? IMO, she always looks like she is about 40 instead of a beautiful young Princess.

I have always wondered this as well. She is very pretty but doesn't show it very often. I think it has to do with becoming Queen one day. I think she is afraid she won't be taken seriously if she puts to much emphasis on the way she looks and dresses.

It may be that she isn' interested or woried about being pretty not every one worries about these things. I think maybe her role as Queen is more important than what she wears.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
I honestly do not spot any problem with the bustes of both Princesses.

Can you please explain me what was the problem with the busteholders of Princess Mabel?

Princess Mabel 1

Princess Mabel 2

And can you please also explain me what was the problem with the busteholders of Princess Laurentien?

Princess Laurentien 1

Princess Laurentien 2

Thank you, in advance.
In the open necked dresses their bosoms were down around their waists. That is not where they are supposed to be!

MM looked stunning in that dress and with her hair curled! It looks like maybe she had some self tanner that helped also.

Did anyone ever get an answer as to why some married couples walked into Saturday night's ball as a couple (Willem-Alexander & Maxima) and others didn't (Princess Mary and the Earl of Sussex)?

Back
Top Bottom