The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Majesty

I like how Duchess Meghan had the 53 flowers sewn into her wedding veil. The sewing details are wonderful.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I agree 100%. The veil usually "finishes" the bridal look but in the Duchess of Sussex's case the entire look seemed to center around that exquisite veil.

It's tied with Maxima of the Netherlands as my choice for Most Beautiful Royal Bridal Veil.

Which, depending on how you look at it, can mean that - without the veil - the entire wedding look wasn't really that special.
IMO without the veil there is nothing left.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Which, depending on how you look at it, can mean that - without the veil - the entire wedding look wasn't really that special.
Except, she did wear the veil. I don't understand the concept of if she didn't wear the veil, it wouldn't be special. But she did. So that's a moot point. It's always about the entire look together rather than each individual pieces all separate. Had she worn that veil with an elaborate dress, it wouldn't have worked. I don't care if they are both master pieces.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Except, she did wear the veil. I don't understand the concept of if she didn't wear the veil, it wouldn't be special. But she did. So that's a moot point. It's always about the entire look together rather than each individual pieces all separate. Had she worn that veil with an elaborate dress, it wouldn't have worked. I don't care if they are both master pieces.

Moot or not, it's how I see it. I disagree - I appreciate it when something of the overall look remains once a particular item is removed. Aka a beautiful veil and a dress that has just that little bit extra. Things that complement each other. Not one item that has to fill up for another.

Had the dress been more elaborate then the overall picture would be more memorable. Now it's just blah. To me anyway.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
But isn't that sort of like saying that if Diana Spencer had not had a 25 foot train no one would remember her gown?

You just cannot separate the two, one item completes the other.

But in Meghan's case, even if she'd only worn a tiara without the veil like she did in her black /white photos with Harry I would thought she was a stunning Royal bride.

The gown was simple yet elegant on it's own, perfect for a non-ingenue who had been married before.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But isn't that sort of like saying that if Diana Spencer had not had a 25 foot train no one would remember her gown?

But in Meghan's case, even if she'd only worn a tiara without the veil like she did in her black /white photos with Harry I would thought she was a stunning Royal bride.

The gown was simple yet elegant on it's own, perfect for a non-ingenue who had been married before.
I don't think any of it had anything to do with her having been married before or not. She wore a veil with a 16 feet train and in pure white. I think that wasn't going to stop her from doing anything she wanted. However, they probably gave thought to the fact that they weren't having a sit down reception at the Windsor Castle afterwards, and decided a shorter train on the dress would allow her move easier and the exquisite and dramatic veil stood out on those stairs and St. George's Chapel.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I would have remembered Diana's gown also if the train had been shorter. Simply because the gown appeals to me.
And without the veil I still think it's pretty.

Meghan with only a tiara and without the veil would be a bride I would only take a cursory glance at. Nothing special at all.

Different tastes for different people.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Nobility

Saying the veil was a central part of the look doesn't mean the the entire wedding look would have been terrible.

Meghan's entire wedding look was a work of contrast that came together because it was well balanced. A simple dress, with an dramatic veil and a nice tiara. I think each part was very important in different ways but this thread is about veils so that is why we are focusing only on the veil and talking about how important it was for the whole look.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I would have remembered Diana's gown also if the train had been shorter. Simply because the gown appeals to me.

Meghan with only a tiara and without the veil would be a bride I would only take a cursory glance at. Nothing special at all.

Yes. This is a perfect example of different tastes. IMO, Diana's dress with or without the train was too much, OTT. However, I thought Meghan was elegant and pretty. Does not mean either opinion is wrong or right. In the end it's about what the bride likes.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
Yes. This is a perfect example of different tastes. IMO, Diana's dress with or without the train was too much, OTT. However, I thought Meghan was elegant and pretty. Does not mean either opinion is wrong or right. In the end it's about what the bride likes.
To bring this back to the veil, it’s a shame that they couldn’t find a better way to deal with Diana’s veil than to cut the blusher with a scissor.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Commoner

I didn't remember that. Why did they do that? Did they do the same thing with Sarah's veil?
Old 10-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I didn't remember that. Why did they do that? Did they do the same thing with Sarah's veil?
Don’t remember what happened with Sarah, but Diana wore her tiara over the veil, unlike her daughter in laws. So they’d have to take it off and try to secure it in order to have the tiara not covered once the blusher is lifted. Guess there wasn’t enough time for that.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Commoner

I remember they both kept their blushers down for the whole ceremony
Old 10-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

But that is the difference-you loved Diana's dress-but I think it was an over the top frou frou cupcake of a dress that overwhelmed her. I was so disappointed in Diana's dress. But different styles appeal to different people.
OTH, I loved Kate's look and thought Meghan's was also very nice. I agree with those that say Meghan's dress was truly enhanced by her veil and that veil with a fussy dress would not have been as striking.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Majesty

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark wore the Irish lace veil which Princess Margaret of Connaught wore. Is Denmark the only monarchy were the royal bride wore an heirloom veil?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

No. In 1999 Queen Mathilde of Belgium and in 2010 CP Victoria of Sweden both wore an heirloom veils.
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Princess Mathilde's Gown

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2010/06/crown-princess-victorias-wedding-dress.html-Victoria
Old 11-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Royal Highness

Meghan's wedding veil is everything (along with the Diamond Bandeau Tiara), but I'm also coming to appreciate her dress more, especially the clean, classic lines. I think Meghan really knows what suits her body stylistically. And she definitely was onto something special in creating that lovel veil embroidery concept with Givenchy's Clare Waight Keller.