Naruhito and Masako Picture Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Crown Prince Naruhito visiting the Fourth Dragon King of Bhutan during the Crown Prince's official visit in November, 1990.

**Pic** - credits Yomiuri

Thanks for wonderful photo! Crown Princess Masako looked lovely in her blue-green ensemble during the visit to the Gulf. She was happy and radiant.

Thanks for wonderful photo!
You are welcome! :flowers:
Crown Princess Masako looked lovely in her blue-green ensemble during the visit to the Gulf. She was happy and radiant.
Indeed she was. That was during her first years as princess, in November 1994. At the time, her husband obviously burst with pride when, during the trip, he told journalists: “Quite frankly, I have the impression that Masako has done a very good job.” :)

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]Engagement photo[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]Crown prince and princess, the princess in kimono[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]The young couple looking very much comme il faut ;)
[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]Masako: pretty in pink[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]Crown prince and princess hiking: “See that over there?”[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]Masako visiting the Gulf States[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]The family in the rain[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]Naruhito “protecting” his girls[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]Little Aiko´s "koen debut"[/FONT] (click to enlarge)
[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]1
[/FONT]2
I think the term “koen-debut” should be explained. The "koen-debut" is a sort of ritual for little Japanese children (and their mothers), their first visit to a public playground. Nice conversation (for the mothers – with the other mothers who already "belong" to this place) and pretty clothing (for mother and child) are required. It is something commoners usually do, though, not imperial children. That the crown prince and princess took their little daughter in May 2003 to a playground close to their home - not a very special one that one would expect for a royal child to frequent, but quite an ordinary one that is situated between two big roads, so it is rather noisy - was a statement. It showed that they wanted to be close to “normal” Japanese people. The first time just Masako went with Aiko, the second time Naruhito accompanied them and they all behaved as if they were but the friendly family next door. But somebody – probably somebody close to the crown prince and princess – must have informed the media in advance about when they intended to go there again. As a consequence, camera teams, newspaper journalists and lots of housewives living close by were crowding the usually not much frequented park. That is why we have these nice photos. But it is improbable that it is this what the prince and princess originally intended.

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]Aiko laughing with her mother[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]A nice pic of the crown prince family with the Dutch royals[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT, serif]Little Aiko with a tiara (please do not ask me for the occasion but must have been recently)[/FONT]

Wow love the last pic of Aiko with a tiara. Is there any significance - I thought imperial princess only wear their first tiara when they come of age. In this case, is it because she is going to be heir of the throne?

:previous:Unfortunately I have no idea. I do not know if there is an explicit rule that princesses who are still minor would not be allowed to wear a tiara. But I certainly have never seen such a pic before, whether with Akishino´s daughters Mako and Kako nor with the emperor´s daughter Sayako, so it is at least very rare. (Of course, now there are pics of Mako with a tiara, but she has recently come of age.)

In any case, whatever the reason it definitely cannot be that Aiko is the heir to the throne, simply because she is not. Only men can ascend the Japanese throne and women (including daughters of emperors and crown princes) have to give up their royal status and become commoners when they marry. There are plans to change this last rule because there are a lot of single adult princesses at present and the imperial family is in danger of running out of members if they all marry and become commoners. (For more info please see this thread.) But even if they might be allowed to keep their status, there are no plans to give them succession rights.

Little Naruhito

Little Naruhito on a wooden horse

FEBRUARY 1969: Prince Naruhito goes for a ride on his horse in the park of Togu Palace in February 1969 in Tokyo, Japan

FEBRUARY 23,1973: Prince Naruhito plays tennis on his 13th birthday, February 23, 1973, in Tokyo, Japan.

Prince Naruhito and classmates during a picnic held at Imperial Palace of Togu in the sixties in Tokyo, Japan.

Prince Naruhito of Japan, practises playing the violin at Togu Palace in Tokyo, February 1972

Prince Naruhito of Japan playing the violin

Prince Naruhito receiving a “Thank you for the music”

Young Masako at school

The crown prince and princess visit a center for the disabled

The crown prince and princess enjoy talking together

The crown prince and princess on a carousel

The picture on the carousel must have been taken recently, because CP Masako's hair is quite long.

:previous:
Yes, that is why I have posted it. She looks so very cheerful there. (And beautiful.) :)

Masako and tiaras (1993-2012) (click to enlarge)

Several "moving pictures" of Aiko

Several pics of the crown prince and crown princess as young couple (click to enlarge)

Very nice moving pictures of Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Aiko playing viola and cello respectively in the orchestra during the Gakushuin School Corporation’s concert on April 15, 2012. I like very much how the crown prince visibly enjoys the music. :flowers:

And here is a Royal Questionnaire of a fan of Princess Masako („Favorite Royal: Crown Princess Masako of Japan.“ :)) Do not miss out on the very nice moving picture of Masako whispering something into her husband´s ear – something amusing, obviously... ;)

Pics from the blogger „Aiko-Toshi“ who says: „I refuse to believe that she married without love. As for the Crown Prince, everyone agrees he adores her.“
Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan attending the funeral of a senior member of the Imperial Family in 1994

Crown Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde of Belgium and Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako pictured on Monday 03 June 2002, at the Belgian Lifestyle Gala Night at the Otani hotel in Tokyo, Japan. Crown Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde arrived Sunday 02 June in Japan to enjoy the first match of the Belgian national soccer team vs Japan in the first round of the 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea-Japan on 04 June. (Click to enlarge)

It is nice to see how much fun they were having at the time. :) And it is a pity that, this time, Princess Masako seems to have missed the opportunity to meet the Belgian prince and princess. Probably she had to save her energy for the funeral. Or maybe they met in private, inside the crown prince´s residence. Hopefully...

Last edited by a moderator:
The crown prince meets people who donate blood (in Yamagata on 14th July of last year).

The crown prince talking to children – I do not know on what occasion, but very cute!

The crown prince playing the viola

The cover of the crown prince´s book about his years at Oxford

The crown prince with his “very pregnant” wife

Portraits of Masako

The crown princely family

The crown prince and princess in New Zealand

Masako with Aiko and the family dog

Crown Princess Masako & Crown Princess Mathilde

Here is a collage that compares Aiko´s looks to those of her grandmother when young.

Pictures of Naruhito as a child

Baby Naruhito with his mother

Seven-month-old Naruhito with his parents, shortly before they have to leave him to go on an official visit to the US :ermm:

10 months

It takes a Hiro to do this... :flowers:

Toddler Naruhito at the beach with his mother, making a new acquaintance ;)

With his mother at a kindergarten outing

Constructing a wooden plane (!)

With his siblings

Miss Masako Owada

Naruhito and Masako at the wedding of Philippe and Mathilde of Belgium (Masako was pregnant...)

Edit: I am sorry. The first five links did not work at first. Should be fine now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom