Prince Pedro, Duke of Calabria, and the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies: Nov. 2015-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jaime was the only one born prior to his parent's marriage about 8 years later... The second eldest sibling was born two years into their marriage.

I still wonder what exactly happened; did his father not get permission to marry and is that the reason they waited so long? And is this the 'rule' for the nobility in Spain that children that were born out of wedlock can get not only titles but als the 'royal highness' prefix when their parents marry at a later stage (or is this up to the head of the house as defunct Italian titles)?

Canon Law, I am told, recognizes children as legitimate if the parents marry after the birth (and if there were no obstacles to the marriage.) Thus, Jaime is legitimate and the heir. Scottish law allows legtimated children inherit peerages (Scottish peerages)

Where can I find more news about this?

One Spanish newspaper had a story yesterday as well - providing the same basic information as our sources were the same. I added information to what I received my my source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Sofía, Duchess of Calabria lives a very quiet life compared to other Spanish nobles .I remember reading that the late Infante Carlos, Duke of Calabria was against the match which is why they waiting so long to marry.I think then Prince Felipe and his sisters attending the wedding.

I assume Sofía is not of a noble background, so that will most likely explain why Carlos was not giving permission to marry.

Edit: This article in Hola published at the time of their wedding indicates that family opposition was indeed the reason that it took that long for them to marry; Carlos expected his eldest son to marry a princess (or comparable). Nonetheless, in 2012 he even granted his illegitimate grandson the title 'Duke of Capua'; who is now the future Duke of Calabria. How things can change... Interestingly, Carlos himself also experienced opposition but not from his parents but from his later in-laws (who didn't recognize his Sicilian-claims (as that would be inconsistent with their own claims for France)).

According to her Wikipedia page she is a great-granddaughter of the Duke of San Fernando de Quiroga; so at least her great-grandfather was part of the Spanish nobility (and even a grandee).

Last edited:
While their title is Italian the family lives in Spain. The family estates are in Spain. Beyond the geography of their title they have little to no link to Italy. He and his siblings were born in Madrid and Ciudad Real where the main estate is. Unless they go for a destination wedding which seems unlikely I don’t see Italy being in the consideration.

I agree they are more Spanish than Italian. But like the Borbone di Parma family, also the Borbone delle Due Sicilie family have their only official functions in Italy. Every year we see several official and private visits to their former territories. This year is low in visits because of COVID-19.

March 15 Torino - annuled
March 11 Napoli - annuled
March 10 Santa Chiara - annuled
March 9 Brescia - annuled
February 14th Nola - continued but without the Duke
Etc.

Anyway, we will see. As long as COVID is there, the wedding will be low key, we may assume.

I agree they are more Spanish than Italian. But like the Borbone di Parma family, also the Borbone delle Due Sicilie family have their only official functions in Italy. Every year we see several official and private visits to their former territories. This year is low in visits because of COVID-19.

March 15 Torino - annuled
March 11 Napoli - annuled
March 10 Santa Chiara - annuled
March 9 Brescia - annuled
February 14th Nola - continued but without the Duke
Etc.

Anyway, we will see. As long as COVID is there, the wedding will be low key, we may assume.
The difference between the Duke of Parma and the Duke of Calabria; is that the former Duke of Calabria was also recognized as an Infante of Spain. Although, they don't have many events, the family is still invited to some state occasions including the abdication of Juan Carlos (and probably when Leonor was admitted to the Order of the Golden Fleece).

I assume Sofía is not of a noble background, so that will most likely explain why Carlos was not giving permission to marry.

From what I read Infante Carlos wanted Pedro to marry a royal and not the great granddaughter of the duke of San Fernando de Quiroga.

Edit: This article in Hola published at the time of their wedding indicates that family opposition was indeed the reason that it took that long for them to marry; Carlos expected his eldest son to marry a princess (or comparable). Nonetheless, in 2012 he even granted his illegitimate grandson the title 'Duke of Capua'; who is now the future Duke of Calabria. How things can change... Interestingly, Carlos himself also experienced opposition but not from his parents but from his later in-laws (who didn't recognize his Sicilian-claims (as that would be inconsistent with their own claims for France)).

According to her Wikipedia page she is a great-granddaughter of the Duke of San Fernando de Quiroga; so at least her great-grandfather was part of the Spanish nobility (and even a grandee).

Yes, Nicolas Melgarejo y Melgarejo, 5.Duke of San Fernando de Quiroga was indeed Grandee of Spain :)

Sofia is also descendant of Kings of Castile and Leon, Kings of Aragon, Kings of Portugal etc.

But as you say, they might expected someone with a bit "stronger" bloodline, preferably a female from Gotha I and II section, so that his claim to the Headship of the Bourbon Two-Sicilies Royal House could be stronger.

I think the only Royal Order the current Duke of Calabria holds is the Civil Order of Alfonso X, the Wise bestowed by King Felipe in December 2017.

I imagine that is because as far as I can see Spain is the only monarchy that supports his claim, the others all support Carlos Duke of Castro

:previous:

I suspect that most other reigning monarchies would want to stay away from the whole discussion. A social invitation for the Duke and Duchess of Castro does not necessarily mean that a royal house supports their claim.

I imagine that is because as far as I can see Spain is the only monarchy that supports his claim, the others all support Carlos Duke of Castro

I have not heard any monarchy making any declaration on this. They stay away from it, as their Governments (which are politically responsible for the monarch) have no position. (If King Willem-Alexander openly supports the Duke of Calabria, then we may assume he expresses the opinion of the Dutch Government.)

The general line is: renunciations are for ever. Don Juan Carlos supported the late Duke of Calabria, his full cousin and youth friend. Understandable. But what is then his answer when Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón declares the renunciation of his great-grandfather Don Jaime, Duke of Segovia, null and void?

When renunciations are respected, then Jean d'Orléans, Don Carlo di Borbone delle Due Sicilie and Felipe de Borbón are the rightful heads of the Houses of France, the Two Sicilies and of Spain.

Last edited:
I wonder if Prince Pedro, Duke of Calabria will ever be made an Infante like his late father?

The general line is: renunciations are for ever. Don Juan Carlos supported the late Duke of Calabria, his full cousin and youth friend. Understandable. But what is then his answer when Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón declares the renunciation of his great-grandfather Don Jaime, Duke of Segovia, null and void?

Even if he rejected his grandfather's renunciation as null and void, I don't believe Luis Alfonso could credibly claim the headship of the House of Spain, given that his grandparents' marriage was unequal per the rules which were in application at the time.

I have not heard any monarchy making any declaration on this. They stay away from it, as their Governments (which are politically responsible for the monarch) have no position. (If King Willem-Alexander openly supports the Duke of Calabria, then we may assume he expresses the opinion of the Dutch Government.)

When renunciations are respected, then Jean d'Orléans, Don Carlo di Borbone delle Due Sicilie and Felipe de Borbón are the rightful heads of the Houses of France, the Two Sicilies and of Spain.
The interesting bit comes after Carlo; he proclaimed his eldest daughter his heir which I don't think corresponds to the rules of the house... But that's probably more for a general topic on 'the headship of the house of the Two Sicilies' than for this topic.

The interesting bit comes after Carlo; he proclaimed his eldest daughter his heir which I don't think corresponds to the rules of the house... But that's probably more for a general topic on 'the headship of the house of the Two Sicilies' than for this topic.

He did so by changing the rules of his house (without the approval of Pedro who does not recognize him as the head).

Official Act of the Head of the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies Abolishing Salic Law In The Succession To the Headship of the House. — Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George United States Delegation

When the one-sided adaptation by Carlo is not accepted, it risks the House split in three faction:

The Duke of Calabria (Spanish branch)

The Duke of Castro (Italian branch)

Don Francesco di Borbone delle Due Sicilie (cousin of the Duke of Castro, son of two HRH parents, made a dynastic marriage with Alexandra von Schönborn-Wiesentheid, from a mediatized House). He and his now 17 year old son Don Antonio di Borbone delle Due Sicilie are then strong contenders for the headship. In that case I hope on a Two Sicilies marriage between the two branches.

When the now 17 years old Donna Maria Carolina marries the now 17 years old Don Antonio, it would enormously enhance the Castro claim.

Last edited:
Is the duchy of Calabria regarded as a higher title than that of Castro?

I read that Calabria was traditionally the title for the heir. While I assume duke of Castro was for the head of the house?!

When the one-sided adaptation by Carlo is not accepted, it risks the House split in three faction:

The Duke of Calabria (Spanish branch)

The Duke of Castro (Italian branch)

Don Francesco di Borbone delle Due Sicilie (cousin of the Duke of Castro, son of two HRH parents, made a dynastic marriage with Alexandra von Schönborn-Wiesentheid, from a mediatized House). He and his now 17 year old son Don Antonio di Borbone delle Due Sicilie are then strong contenders for the headship. In that case I hope on a Two Sicilies marriage between the two branches.

When the now 17 years old Donna Maria Carolina marries the now 17 years old Don Antonio, it would enormously enhance the Castro claim.
Such a dynastic marriage didn't work out that well in Georgia although it produced a heir.

But I don't see many people accepting Maria Carolina is the new head of the house; so, I would expect the majority to back up the third contender.

I read that Calabria was traditionally the title for the heir. While I assume duke of Castro was for the head of the house?!

Yes, Duke of Calabria was used to refer to the oldest son of the king of the Two Sicilies, whereas Duke of Castro figured as part of the king's subsidiary titles.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/2sicilie.htm

Such a dynastic marriage didn't work out that well in Georgia although it produced a heir.

But I don't see many people accepting Maria Carolina is the new head of the house; so, I would expect the majority to back up the third contender.

Do you mean the majority of family members or the majority of Sicilian monarchists? I was under the impression that Francesco hasn't publicly staked a claim to the (future) headship and Duc_et_Pair was describing a hypothetical situation.

Yes, Duke of Calabria was used to refer to the oldest son of the king of the Two Sicilies, whereas Duke of Castro figured as part of the king's subsidiary titles.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/2sicilie.htm

Do you mean the majority of family members or the majority of Sicilian monarchists? I was under the impression that Francesco hasn't publicly staked a claim to the (future) headship and Duc_et_Pair was describing a hypothetical situation.

Yes, the hypothetical situation that the Duke of Castro passes away and leaves his daughter Princess Maria Carolina as the new head of the House.

Before his unilateral declaration (to assign his daughters as his heirs) his cousin Don Francesco and then his cousin's son Don Antonio were the heirs for the headship of the House (Italian branch).

Il principe Carlo di Borbone delle Due Sicilie, duca di Castro x Camilla Crociani
|||
Il principe Ferdinando Maria di Borbone delle Due Sicilie, duca di Castro x Chantal de Chevron-Villette
||
Il principe Ranieri di Borbone delle Due Sicilie, duca di Castro x la contessa Maria Carolina Zamoyska
|
Il principe Alfonso di Borbone delle Due Sicilie, duca di Castro x la principessa Maria Antonietta di Borbone delle Due Sicilie
|
Il principe Gabriele di Borbone delle Due Sicilie x la principessa Malgorzata Isabella Czartoryska
||
Il principe Antonio di Borbone delle Due Sicilie x la duchessa Elisabeth von Württemberg
|||
Il principe Francesco di Borbone delle Due Sicilie x la contessa Alexandra von Schönborn-Wiesentheid

Last edited:
I'd forgotten that the Duke of Castro has 2 daughters ,I can see another rift in the future.

I'd forgotten that the Duke of Castro has 2 daughters ,I can see another rift in the future.

Unless Princess Maria Carolina (17) and her distant couin Prince Antonio (17) find each other, uniting the two Castro-supporting branches. But the ultimate jetset lifestyle of Camilla and her two girls make it most unlikely to see an old-fashioned Borbone - Borbone union for the sake of the House. But one never knows... When the Castro claim os weakened, it helps the Calabria claim, that is for sure.

The Calabria's are far more discreet than than the Castro's who seem more celebrity than royalty.

The Calabria's are far more discreet than than the Castro's who seem more celebrity than royalty.

That is true but I think the Duke of Castro is a laissez-faire, laissez-passer type of guy: all what his three ladies do seems completely okay with him. I would have been more in Naples (a vibrant and fiery city with enormous social, economic, urban and crime problems) and engage in projects there. Better than jetsetting in milliardaires' paradises like Monaco. But okay, their choice. Not the wisest one, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
The Duke of Calabria also holds the lesser title of Count of Caserta another title which is disputed.

It looks like that's the only picture available of the future bride as that's the one that is included in all (the few) articles I've seen on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom