Engagement of Grand Duke George Mikhailovich of Russia & Nob. Rebecca Bettarini

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eurohistory: The Chaumet Lacis Tiara for the Russian Imperial Wedding in October!

The future Princess Victoria Romanovna Romanoff will be wearing a magnificent tiara created by Maison Chaumet when she marries Grand Duke George Mikhailovich of Russia.

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-chaumet-lacis-tiara-for-russian.html

That looks so pageant and and far from what I expect from Chaumet. Interesting that Chaumet described diamond mesh/lattice design as their historic signature as when I think of lattice design, I wouldn't think of Chaumet (Faberge comes to my mind).

Also interesting to see that fellow posters were discussing the possibility of borrowing a tiara from his father side the Prussian family in previous pages, and she ended up borrowing a tiara that shares same characteristic (diamond lattice) with the two Prussian tiaras (the Meander and the Faberge belonged to Cecilie).:D

Sounds like they are quite wealthy, from where does their inheritance come?

Last edited:
Sounds like they are quite wealthy, from where does their inheritance come?

The current Russian Imperial House is not wealthy. They have retained certain meaningful pictures, paintings, and objets d'art related to their heritage. There has never been any fortune, however.

Grand Duke George Mikhailovich and Victoria Romanovna (Rebecca) Bettarini have had successful careers of their own. They have had to make their own way in life.

The current Russian Imperial House is not wealthy. They have retained certain meaningful pictures, paintings, and objets d'art related to their heritage. There has never been any fortune, however.

Grand Duke George Mikhailovich and Victoria Romanovna (Rebecca) Bettarini have had successful careers of their own. They have had to make their own way in life.

I know that she is a writer, but what does George do?

I would like Maria and Georgy to have a more secular and neutral public position. All that closeness to the Orthodox Church creeps me. I understand the Church is a factor of importance, but less time worshipping icons and more time visiting modern Russia would not harm.

I agree with you !
Prince Aymone of Savoie is working since years in Russia and is living there wih his wife Princess Olga of Greece without sending instagrams !

Will Grand Duke George's father, Prince Franz Wilhelm (Grand Duke Michael) attend the wedding?

Till the wedding - still nearly five months, he is probably already vaccinated (senior), so why shouldn't he?
After all. George is his only child.

Will Grand Duke George's father, Prince Franz Wilhelm (Grand Duke Michael) attend the wedding?

We may expect so, Deo Volente.

Georgy explained his parents were not at the engagement because of the travel restrictions to Russia (because of COVID).

I would like Maria and Georgy to have a more secular and neutral public position. All that closeness to the Orthodox Church creeps me. I understand the Church is a factor of importance, but less time worshipping icons and more time visiting modern Russia would not harm.

Icons are not worshipped...

The Champagne will be served( (offered ?) by Boërl and Knoff .
The picture of the future Weds are printed on the Bottles
Who next after Chaumet and Fabergé will sponsor this morganatic Wedding ?

Interesting how although the marriage is to be morganatic in terms of titles the bride will "have the right to use the dynastic surname" Romanoff. I wonder what the coat of arms in the image gallery represents.

The problem hasn't dissuaded many other heads of ex-royal families from doing exactly that. For instance, the Hohenberg branch from Archduke Franz Ferdinand could claim to be the true dynasts of the House of Austria if one consistently applies the changes the junior branch made to the house laws.
The difference with the Habsburg’s is that there are many branches with many sons to continue the successions. Plus the Hohenbergs can’t actually claim themselves as Head of the house of Habsburg because the marriage ofArchduke Franz Ferdinand was officially declared morganatic. The issue with the Romanovs right now is that there aren’t many males left or anyone who has seriously taken the Pauline laws.

Apparently she chose it after the Holy Martyr Victoria of Rome and Romanova in honour of her father.

I would say it's difficult to prevent a woman who wants to from changing their married name to their husband's.

Do you know why Maria would make it clear that she's only granting HSH to Rebecca/Victoria if she does consider the marriage equal and dynastic?

His father's second marriage isn't "equal" is it? I presume he doesn't mind. Interestingly he's not mentioned anywhere in the marriage announcement and even when divorced many royal couples announce together or at least include both parents good wishes in there.
Yes, his father’s second marriage wasn’t equal but the difference is that Georgy Romanovs father isn’t likely to head of the Hohenzollern family. Plus his father already dynastically married Maria. Also he and his new wife aren’t going to have more kids. Plus I think when and he and Maria got married, they both agreed that their son would belong to the Romanov house not Hohenzollern

Apparently she was talking with the Patriarchs of the Church to see if they could decree the Pauline Laws invalid, I suppose to give it weight. Which obviously didn't happen.

The problem with she herself just declaring them invalid means that she goes back on what she had her father have been saying for decades. That they are the only true dynasts of the House because they married equally and thus the heirs. If she says they don't matter any more then there are several other branches of the family she has to say are ahead of her or that her claim is more disputed.

So it seems that Georgi and Rebecca just decided to go ahead and get married anyway and his mother stuck to her beliefs and decided that her non royal daughter-in-law won't get the HIH courtesy title.

The problem hasn't dissuaded many other heads of ex-royal families from doing exactly that. For instance, the Hohenberg branch from Archduke Franz Ferdinand could claim to be the true dynasts of the House of Austria if one consistently applies the changes the junior branch made to the house laws.

The difference with the Habsburg’s is that there are many branches with many sons to continue the successions. Plus the Hohenbergs can’t actually claim themselves as Head of the house of Habsburg because the marriage ofArchduke Franz Ferdinand was officially declared morganatic. The issue with the Romanovs right now is that there aren’t many males left or anyone who has seriously taken the Pauline laws.

Have moved my response to the thread "Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants":

Not sure what the number of branches with sons has to do with the dynastic-marriage debate, unless you are stating that the arguments over dynastic marriages are merely an excuse to undermine a female claimant.

The marriages of the various other Romanov sons were also "officially" declared morganatic or dynastically invalid by the senior-line pretenders under the Pauline laws.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom