Princess Nathalie of Berleburg and Family, Current Events Part 1: January 2006 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to admit that I can hardly await to see the Khedive of Egypt tiara worn by a happy bride once again. It makes perfectly sense to wait for the warmer time of the year. But the longer they wait to announce the date, the more I fear that they are planning a small, down-to-earth, initmate, financial-crisis-aware, close-friends-and-family-only wedding. I would really like to see some grandeur at a German wedding once again. But this might not fit the tastes of bride and groom.

I think so too but as far as i remeber Prince Richard said last year that they where planning a big Wedding with all relatives.

I think so too but as far as i remeber Prince Richard said last year that they where planning a big Wedding with all relatives.
That is good to hear! He should throw a jolly good party for his daughter!

I hope for a big wedding too. The christening was small and intimate ceremony (I only saw 1 photo in BB) so I can't wait to see P Nathalie as a bride.

Agami .. I'd love to see that pic on BB .. could you post it please?

They are civil married, which is according to the law in Germany. The religious Wedding will take place in May or June next year. As for the names both have keept their names after the marriage. And for the names of chidlren there are many options here and they apparently choose to combine the name of both parents.

As far as I know this is the also the norm in the Netherlands! First the civil, the legally binding act at one location, and then the optional church ceremony! This two-step procedure is unknown in many countries, where the legal formalities are dealt with in connection with the church wedding.
Considering the time span in between the civil ceremony and the church ceremony we'd call it a 'blessing ceremony' in Denmark! Anyway, it's not a wedding as such since Nathalie and Alexander are legally married and arrive at the church as husband and wife. IMO the question is whether the couple will go for a 'big white' arrangement or a more subdued ceremony. In a way I'm sorry that the festivities won't be taking place in Denmark, Princess Nathalie is a Danish citizen and she has done Denmark proud at the Olympics.

Viv

As far as I know this is the also the norm in the Netherlands! First the civil, the legally binding act at one location, and then the optional church ceremony! This two-step procedure is unknown in many countries, where the legal formalities are dealt with in connection with the church wedding.
Considering the time span in between the civil ceremony and the church ceremony we'd call it a 'blessing ceremony' in Denmark! Anyway, it's not a wedding as such since Nathalie and Alexander are legally married and arrive at the church as husband and wife. IMO the question is whether the couple will go for a 'big white' arrangement or a more subdued ceremony. In a way I'm sorry that the festivities won't be taking place in Denmark, Princess Nathalie is a Danish citizen and she has done Denmark proud at the Olympics.

Viv
I agree with you, Viv, it would be nice if the "blessing ceremony" took place in Denmark :)

Muhler, are Margrethe and Henrik coming to the US this summer? :flowers: Do you know where? I would LOVE for it to be somewhere near me! ;)

Muhler, are Margrethe and Henrik coming to the US this summer? :flowers: Do you know where? I would LOVE for it to be somewhere near me! ;)

Yes, in the first half of June. I don't know more as yet.

But Washington should be a safe bet.

As this is an official visit and as QMII is head of state, she is bound by diplomatic protocol to at least drop by and say hi to the US President.

Follow up on Maura724's question:

QMII have often visited the Danish decendants living in the north central USA, I wonder if they won't do that again.
So up the river from where you live, Maura724 and you are there. Almost...;)

Last edited:
Thanks, Muhler!

Washington is definitely too far to go just to see them, although I would love to see them in person - it's a 2 1/2 hour flight. I'm going to Washington for a week in the middle of May to visit a friend, naturally not while they might be there. Oh well.

Most of Iowa would be any easy enough drive in a day, as would northern Illinois and some of southern Wisconsin...outside of that it's too far.

A few posts on the wedding has been moved to the
Princess Nathalie & Alexander's wedding: June 18, 2011
thread

Last edited:
she is only 35 but she looks older than 45 and her husband does, too.

I read from SvenskDam that Victoria and Daniel are invited to the wedding and they will attend.

Last edited:
According to Billed Bladet Prince Joachim will be acting as regent while Queen Margrethe, Fred and Mary will attend the wedding in Berleburg.
Billed-Bladet - Prinsesse Marie må blive hjemme

That's correct, Tilia :)

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #21, 2011.
Marie må blive hjemme - Marie must stay at home.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

It has been decided that Joachim will act as Regent while the rest of the DRF go to Berleburg to attend the church-wedding of Nathalie and Alexander Johannsmann on the 18. June.

More than 200 guests have been invited and they include the DRF and the Greek royals.

Joachim was picked as the one to stay behind, because M&F have a close relationship with the Berleburgs and they are often there for hunts. Apart from that they are very close to Nathalie personally.
Joachim however is rarely in Berleburg.

The party will last two days, starting on Friday the 17. June, with a BBQ in the evening.
The wedding itself will take place in the church in the town of Berleburg at 17.00 Saturday.
There will be a reception in the courtyard at Schloss Berleburg afterwards.

- And with this I'll end last weeks coverage of the DRF in Billed Bladet.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the wedding will be similar to her sister's regarding foreign royals? I seem to remember(besides their direct family, the Danes and the Greeks), the King, Queen and Crown Prince of Norway, the late Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Queen and the younger Infantas of Spain, Jordanian Royals, Bulgarian Royals...

Thank you for the summary, Muhler! They also mentioned that the dress code was mentioned on the invitation. I'm not sure if I understood it correctly. Does "kjole og hvidt til herrerne" white tie? So, can we expect to see tiaras and orders? That would really be a treat!:)

As Nathalie and Alexander attended the wedding of Victoria and Daniel last year, I would expect at least some representatives from Sweden, hopefully V & D themselves.

Thank you for the summary, Muhler! They also mentioned that the dress code was mentioned on the invitation. I'm not sure if I understood it correctly. Does "kjole og hvidt til herrerne" white tie? So, can we expect to see tiaras and orders? That would really be a treat!:)

As Nathalie and Alexander attended the wedding of Victoria and Daniel last year, I would expect at least some representatives from Sweden, hopefully V & D themselves.

You are welcome. :)

As I'm not 100 % certain of what the English terms really mean I'll use this pic instead: Kjole og hvidt = http://www.kave.dk/images/L16.jpg

So I presume it is white tie.

The article says "lange kjoler" = long dresses/evening robes for the ladies.

Last edited:
You are welcome. :)

As I'm not 100 % certain of what the English terms really mean I'll use this pic instead: Kjole og hvidt = http://www.kave.dk/images/L16.jpg

So I presume it is white tie.

The article says "lange kjoler" = long dresses/evening robes for the ladies.
Yes, it is white tie! Great! As a general rule, this dress code means that the gentlemen will wear their orders and the ladies dig out their tiaras. In contrast black tie usually comes without orders and tiaras. But there are also sometimes exceptions to this rule. But I hope for the best;).

Yes, it is white tie! Great! As a general rule, this dress code means that the gentlemen will wear their orders and the ladies dig out their tiaras. In contrast black tie usually comes without orders and tiaras. But there are also sometimes exceptions to this rule. But I hope for the best;).

At last in most cases it means tiaras for the ladies and Orders for the men. But not always. For example at the Wedding of Prince Philipp of hesse a few years ago the men wore the fracks without Orders and the woman long gowns but no tiaras. But in this case i believe we will see tiaras as th danish ladies love it to bring out their Jewels.

Does anyone know if the wedding will be similar to her sister's regarding foreign royals? I seem to remember(besides their direct family, the Danes and the Greeks), the King, Queen and Crown Prince of Norway, the late Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Queen and the younger Infantas of Spain, Jordanian Royals, Bulgarian Royals...

Lets hope so but somehow don't believe that we will se such an large turnout of foreign royals at this Wedding. Probably the large attendance at Alexandras Wedding had also something to with the fact that the Wedding was hosted by Queen ingrid.
It's said that there will be 200 guests at Nathalie's Wedding.

Last edited:
:previous: As I am a tiaraholic, I really hope to see the ladies wearing tiaras. It will be very interesting to see the Greek ladies, especially if both Theodora and Tatiana will attend. And I guess that we'd see a couple of tiaras from German noble families.
Let's hope that we will get to see many good pics of the event.
Are you planning to go to Berleburg, Stefan?

:previous: As I am a tiaraholic, I really hope to see the ladies wearing tiaras. It will be very interesting to see the Greek ladies, especially if both Theodora and Tatiana will attend. And I guess that we'd see a couple of tiaras from German noble families.
Let's hope that we will get to see many good pics of the event.
Are you planning to go to Berleburg, Stefan?
Yes i will be in Berleburg and hope to see many tiaras there. The greeks will be interesting especially as the Khedive will porbably worn by Nathalie. I guess we will also see the Hesse's and Solms-Laubach's there as Prince Richard's sisters have married in these families.

:previous:I'm already looking forward to seeing your pictures on your blog! I wish I could also go, but it's more likely that I'll spent the night here on TRF.
It is rumoured that the modern diamond tiara which Carina has worn three times so far was borrowed from a member of the Berleburg family. So there's a possibility that the owner will no wear it herself (Oh, I'm curious). I bet that Nathalie will wear the Khedive, which means that one of Benedikte's tiaras could be available for Carina.
It would also be nice to see Tatiana wearing a tiara for the first time after her. And maybe the floral tiara which Prince Richard's mother used to wear will appear again?

Excerpts from article in Billed Bladet #22, 2011.
Nathalies sejr - Nathalie's victory.
Written by Casper Nielsen.

It wasn't just the CP couple who were in Bernstorffs Park last weekend. Princess Nathalie was there as well, as one of the competitors, riding on her mare, Fabienne. Her parents (Nathalie's that is) were there too, to cheer.
Nathalie won in "dressur" - don't know what that's called in English. It's that peculiar competition where the horses are made to walk and act in a most unnatural way.

Anyway, our reporter had a chat with a very busy Nathalie, whose wedding is now only eighteen days away and she said: "But I have the best husband in the whole world. He's incerdibly sweet and supports me in everything. Alexander is on paternity leave at the moment, so he looks after little Konstantin in the morning, where I ride and then I look after him in the afternoon. My husband will start working again in July and then we'll have to arrange some au-pair girl, but so far the arrangements works.

Q: Your own parents put you in the saddle when you were four. When will you do the same with Konstantin?
N: "I haven't yet put him on a horse. that's way too dangerous. Many have their children on the saddle in front of them, but way too much can happen.
If the horse is suddenly startled and jumps to the side, it can go wrong. You would blame yourself forever. I'll wait until he can walk on his own. But honestly. He should decide himself what he wants. Perhaps he'll say: Mom, you can forget about those horses, I'd rather play football (soccer *) or tennis. - We certainly won't pressure him into doing something".

Q: Have you become a more cautious rider after you have become a mother?
N: "No, on the contrary. I'm neither afraid or anything. Got it much more under control. Fabiene has the right attitude. She is used to travelling, she walks forward, there gearknob is set on full speed and that's good. You can never have too much energy". (**)

Q: Will there also be horses at your upcoming wedding?
N: "I actually don't know. There will be a big tent on the lawn next to riding arena. But I doubt there'll be horses in there".

(*) :p Needless to say. How the Americans can call their mixture of handball and wrestling for football is beyond me. I mean, American football consists of a number of armoured brutes who are banging their heads together, when they are not attempting to kick a peculiar shaped ball, invented by a prankster, through a kilometer wide goal. :ROFLMAO:
And just so the players are not getting lost the field is full of stripes...:whistling:
They ain't got much stamina either as they are constantly having breakes.
In contrast we have genuine football, a noble and refined sport, which require stamina, dexterity, feel for the ball, sense of tactic and an advanced cooperative level from the players. :notworthy:

(**) She'll eat those words big time! :whistling:Just wait until sweet little Konstantin can walk and not least run on his own and he is full of energy from the moment he wakes up until his exhausted parents tie him to the bed in the evening.

Daniel has an official engagement on 18th, so it's very unlikely that he and Victoria will attend the wedding, unless Victoria goes alone.

Excerpts from article in Billed Bladet #22, 2011.
Nathalies sejr - Nathalie's victory.
Written by Casper Nielsen.

(..)

Not sure why she felt the need to take a swipe at American football when she's discussing horses, babies & weddings. It's a bit obnoxious IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why she felt the need to take a swipe at American football when she's discussing horses, babies & weddings. It's a bit obnoxious IMO.

It's not her. It's just me trying to provoke som good natured banter. :p
Hoping someone will pick up the gauntlet...

Back
Top Bottom