King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 3: Nov 2006 - Oct 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azile

Nobility
City
Vancouver
Country
Canada
Greece.gif

Welcome to Part 3 of the King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie Current Events thread.

[FONT=&quot]You will find the previous thread, covering December 2005 to November 2006 here. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The forum Rules and Guidelines apply in this thread, just as in every other.

[FONT=&quot]Happy posting![/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
How sad. I think this is a real shame.

Sad to see the items leave the family, but pretty much proof that he didn't get dowry from the Millers at the marriage, otherwise, he wouldn't be so hard up for cash that he's resorting to selling his heritage.

Unless he got a fortune and blew it on all on a place in the sun.

He may be selling the heirlooms because he doesn't want them. If he was that hard-up, he would be selling Anne-Marie's royal jewels, which are far more valuable than whatever silver or objects were sitting around Tatoi.

kelly9480 said:
Sad to see the items leave the family, but pretty much proof that he didn't get dowry from the Millers at the marriage, otherwise, he wouldn't be so hard up for cash that he's resorting to selling his heritage.

Yeah, he's so hard up for cash that he turned down taking 7 million euros for the loss of his Greek property, instead transferring it to a nonprofit foundation?

I don't buy it for a minute.

It would be bad PR for him to have taken the Greek money. Remember, he still seems to harbor delusions about regaining his throne.

He's obviously not got a lot of cash. Otherwise, he wouldn't be selling off the heritage that's his children's only inheritance (since he won't be handing down a throne).

BeatrixFan said:
Unless he got a fortune and blew it on all on a place in the sun.
According to the Greeks I've asked, he still doesn't have a place in Greece, yet, so I don't see what he could have blown any fortune on.

branchg said:
He may be selling the heirlooms because he doesn't want them. If he was that hard-up, he would be selling Anne-Marie's royal jewels, which are far more valuable than whatever silver or objects were sitting around Tatoi.
I don't think he'd ever resort to selling the jewels. That would be proof to his royal "peers" that he's destitute, and he's all about appearances.

branchg said:
I tend to agree with this. If these items really held great sentimental value and he wanted to pass them on to his children/grandchildren I'm sure he could find a way to hang on to them. It's probably an auction similar to that of Pss. Margaret's family selling off some of her things. I don't believe the Greek royals (deposed) are rolling in the cash, but I don't think they are closet to destitution either.

branchg said:
I hope they haven't to resort to sell Anne Marie's jewels, because it would be very sad. I still remember when I read Queen Frederika biography she said that selling her tiara in the early seventies was very sad because jewels are like a second skin.

Not the emeralds I hope!:ohmy: Anne-Marie always looks so stunning in them. I actually always think it's sad when the jewels are up for sale when the principal owner(s)/wearer(s) are still alive. It must feel like parting with your children to have them sold like that. Perhaps it really is a case of not wanting them any longer.:sad:

Oh well,even if constantine didn't have a penny he is still rich in other terms.He hit the jackpot long time ago when he married anne-marie.She and the family they created worth gold.

It is true that your favorite items feel like a 2nd skin, It must be awful for anyone having to part with some of their jewels, for whatever reason. Each piece normally holds a memory!

Maybe some rich donator will buy some of the things and offer them back to the family, to the kids for instance...I might be too romantic... But that is probably a thing MC's parents could discreetly do.

Ah - so the actual issue here is that the Greek Royal Family do not own the items, they are owned by someone else who's selling them.

Margaret's children sold off her stuff because they needed the funds to pay death duties and didn't want to use their own cash to do so. Constantine should have settled his mother's estate decades ago, so he certainly doesn't need money for that. One would hope that the 1 million pounds he supposedly receives from the Greek shipping families is enough to keep him and his brood in comfort, but apparently not.

BeatrixFan said:
Ah - so the actual issue here is that the Greek Royal Family do not own the items, they are owned by someone else who's selling them.
No, Constantine owns what he's flogging. According to some Greek official, they think that if he was allowed to take the from Tatoi, he must own them (the government wouldn't have let him take them, otherwise). Sentiment might make Greeks think they own the items, but the government says otherwise.

According to the website, Constantine doesn't own what's for sale but he's very much interested in the sale. Maybe thats not right after all. How confusing.

Well Constantine and the Greek government are saying two different things, then. How surprising. LOL

Well, from what I understand this is what the situation is;

The items for sale at Christie's once were in Tatoi at the time of King George I. They've all been checked for the monograms of King Paul, Queen Frederike, King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie and none of the pieces belonged to them. They are the "chattels" of King George I, not of the Greek Government or King Constantine. They are now owned by a private collector who apparantly aquired them before 1964. They were not taken from Tatoi recently. King Constantine has said that he'll watch the sale with interest but that he doesn't own anything being sold and this is not a sale by the Greek Royal Family but by a private collector who happens to be selling items that once belonged to a member of the Greek Royal Family. So, none of the family jewels are up for sale.

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves members should read the link provided by vasilofron at post 13: http://www.kingofgreece.gr/index.cfm?get=news&show=news&ItemID=201

The link is to the Greek Royal Family website. Quotes include:

The royal family are no longer the legal owners of this collection.
The royal family was informed of this initiative by Christie's, in order to provide details regarding some objects in preparation of the sale's catalogue.
The royal family is not aware of the details of the sale .

The following untruths have been reported by the DAILY TELEGRAPH (Published December 1st) in regards to the upcoming auction by Christie's of items belonging to King George I of the Hellenes, presumably without intention.

Please read the Greek Royal Family answer to this report.
http://www.kingofgreece.gr/index.cfm?get=news&show=news&ItemID=202

When one is not fully aware of the correct information regarding legal and historical issues of the former Greek royal family, one can always check the official Greek royal family web site (http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr) or contact the royal family office (ath@constantine.gr) & (lon@constantine.gr).

Warren said:
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves members should read the link provided by vasilofron at post 13: http://www.kingofgreece.gr/index.cfm?get=news&show=news&ItemID=201

The link is to the Greek Royal Family website. Quotes include:

The royal family are no longer the legal owners of this collection.
The royal family was informed of this initiative by Christie's, in order to provide details regarding some objects in preparation of the sale's catalogue.
The royal family is not aware of the details of the sale .

That makes more sense now. Constantine is wealthy and not ready for the poorhouse, that's for sure.

In Greece,reporters and politicians claim that all those objects that were taken out of Tatoi palace were taken out night,without any publicity and not being noted by the archeological authorities(a service which deals with antiquities) so actually no one knows what was taken out.They also claim that those objects belong to the greek state because were all gifts by other leaders to the king and since the royal regime was abolished everything went to the state.In any case those heirlooms are of great historical and cultural value and should not be sold since they are linked with greece being a nation and a state.The 3 million pounds which are expected to fetch is a petty amount for Konstantinos and his family who have many financial sources and dont need the money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom