Death of Prince François of France, Count of Clermont; 31 Dec. 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you think members of a royal forum don't know that?

It would appear some don't.. there hasn't been a 'Dauphin' since 1830..

There's a lot of difference between Michael and the Frnech royals. He was king of Romania, and was forced to abdicate. They haven't been kings of France for over 100 years and ther'es pretty much no prospect of a restoration.

Constantine of Greece was forced to abdicate a half a century ago by a military junta, and Greece has made it clear that there is no desire to have him back...yet he and his family have a quite active thread here. So what is the cutoff for us to stop referring to defunct titles and families...fifty years? A hundred? Two hundred?

This is a Royal Forum, not necessarily concerning itself with only active Royal families and dynasties. My guess is that most posters are reasonably bright enough not to need to be reminded that "Dauphin" is a defunct title. :sad:

Last edited:
Prince François lived as a Child with a very strong Handicap.
He was so happy assisting to family Events.
Thanks for giving him a Thread in this Royal Forums.
We know nothing about his Funerals and we have such a lot of threads about the title of Dauphin , Prince François never knew about.
When he was born he had the first royal Baptism at Dreux. It was some weeks after they discovered his ilness.
May the Members of the board think at the great sorrow of his old Mother the Duchess of Montpensier to his father the Comte de Paris . To his Sisters Marie and Blanche and his Brothers Jean and Eudes.
All my deep respect for them and may Prince François Rest in Piece.

Last edited:
The chapel royale de Dreux is the necropolis for members of the House of Orléans since after the Revolution.

What was the reason of his death? His heart suddenly stopped? Or it was pneumonia?

By the way nothing in this week Point de Vue.... I suppose it was too late to print anything

Some Orléans are in the main Chapel , some in de Side Chapels. I don' remember why?
Prince Ftançois will be next to his late Grand Parents and his late Uncle Prince François.

The Duke d' Anjou did not write this message himself ! A Spanish man does not know the officlal way of writing in French such as this message written by his Secretaire.

Some Orléans are in the main Chapel , some in de Side Chapels. I don' remember why?
Prince Ftançois will be next to his late Grand Parents and his late Uncle Prince François.

The Chapel of the Virgin seems to reserved for Louis-Philippe I er and family bar Helene of Mecklenburg-Schwerin who was Protestant and was buried in an annex of the main chapel.

1. Louis-Philippe I er , King of the French Duke of Orleans (October 6, 1773 - August 26, 1850)

1. Maria Amalia of Naples and Sicily , Queen of the French, Duchess of Orleans (April 26, 1782 - March 24, 1866), (wife of Louis-Philippe I st )

2. Ferdinand Philippe , Duke of Orleans and Chartres (September 3, 1810 - July 13, 1842)

3. Helen of Mecklenburg-Schwerin , Duchess of Orleans (January 24, 1814 - May 17, 1858) Annex Chapel

4. Marie Clementine von Habsburg , Archduchess of Austria, Princess of Salerno ( 1 st March 1798 - September 3, 1881)

5. Adelaide of Orleans , Mademoiselle de Chartres (August 23, 1777 - December 31, 1847)
6. Marie-Adélaïde de Bourbon , Duchess of Orleans (March 13, 1753 - June 23, 1821)

The Duke d' Anjou did not write this message himself ! A Spanish man does not know the officlal way of writing in French such as this message written by his Secretaire.

I thought Luis-Alfonso was fluent in French himself?

This map shows that the light grey places in the Crypte Circulaire (see nr 8) are open for new interments.

With François, from Saturday on there will be four persons interred in that crypt:

1 - François Gaston Michel Marie d’Orléans (1935-1960) - Mort pour la France
2 - Henri Robert Ferdinand Marie d'Orléans (1933-1999) - de jure Henri VI
3 - Isabelle Marie Amélie Louise Victoire Thérèse Jeanne d'Orléans née d'Orléans et Bragance (1911-2003)
4 - François Henri Louis Marie d'Orléans (1961-2017)
none

This sad news means that the eldest brother of the late François, who was appointed Régent du Dauphin, is now indeed the Dauphin himself (in practice he already was, of course). What a hard blow for his sister Princess Blanche, who suffers the same disability.

:-(

Please excuse my ignorance, but was the historic term Dauphin also used in the Orléanist monarchy to designate the heir to the throne ?

the historic term Dauphin also used in the Orléanist monarchy

I think not..

'the Bourgeois' monarchy of Louis Philippe having jettisoned most of the symbols and titles of the legitimist line...
the fleur de lys standard, and even the title 'King of France'.. he had no territorial designation, being 'King of the French'. His eldest son was titled 'Duc d'Orleans' NOT Dauphin.

They KNEW they were usurpers...

Last edited:
I think not..

'the Bourgeois' monarchy of Louis Philippe having jettisoned most of the symbols and titles of the legitimist line...
the fleur de lys standard, and even the title 'King of France'.. he had no territorial designation, being 'King of the French'. His eldest son was titled 'Duc d'Orleans' NOT Dauphin.

Thanks, Wyevale. That is what I thought too, so I was surprised when Prince François was referred to as the Dauphin in this thread.

My only possible disagreement (or maybe not) is that, although they may have been usurpers back them, they are now the legitimate heirs to the throne of France as the most senior surviving line of the Capetian dynasty who is not excluded from the succession either by the Treaty of Utrecht or, even if you don't recognize its validity, by a vice de pérégrinité.

Last edited:
The reason I personally 'don't recognise them', is that 'à travers le fil des générations', since Gaston d'Orléans, they have [with the notable exception of the Regent] proved duplicitous and traitorious to their kinsmen the rightful Monarchs of France.Even unto voting for the murder of their Sovereign and Cousin.. they repeatedly proved themselves unfit to be near a throne, let alone sat upon it...
It is that that renders them [to this day] unfit in the eyes of MANY.

Last edited:
In three Acts, with signatures and grand seals and the whole rambam of Spain, France, Great Britain/Netherlands (in a personal union) and Austria the reciprocal renunciations and separation of the Bourbons in a Spanish and French branch was established.

Luis Alfonso easily ignores this fact, supporters claiming he is the ainé des capétiens (not true) and wiping their derrieres with said Treaties. If these signatures indeed mean nothing: can recognition of the legitimity of the Testament of Carlos II be withdrawn again? Can the UK give back Gibraltar to Spain please? Can Canada give back the French Provinces to France please? Can the Netherlands get back the Southern Netherlands (Belgium) which went to Austria as part of these Treaties?

The answer will be: no. No. No. No. But in all these solemnly written sentences on the perchment we suddenly have to pretend that the grandson of a Spanish Infante who gave up his rights (twice!) because he is deaf and mute, suddenly is the rightful Heir to the throne of France? Had his grandfather not given up his rights, then Luis Alfonso was King of Spain now and of course would have fully respected these Treaties which gave him his throne in the first place... This shows how hollow and how totally opportunistic the so-called claim of Luis Alfonso is.

The Orléanists are the legitime successors to the throne of France. Henri is de-jure Henri VI and his eldest son, will be given his rightful place in the royal crypt.

Last edited:
The reason I personally 'don't recognise them', is that 'à travers le fil des générations', since Gaston d'Orléans, they have [with the notable exception of the Regent] proved duplicitous and traitorious to their kinsmen the rightful Monarchs of France.Even unto voting for the murder of their Sovereign and Cousin.. they repeatedly proved themselves unfit to be near a throne, let alone sat upon it...
It is that that renders them [to this day] unfit in the eyes of MANY.
Gaston d'Orleans isn't an ancestor of the current house of Orléans.

The discussion about the Orleanists vs. the Legitimists can be continued in this thread, which is dedicated to the subject.

Any further posts containing remarks about the matter in this thread -which is about the death and funeral of Prince Francois- will be deleted without notice.

Last edited:
Where is enterred Prince Thibaud , Monseigneur youngest Son ? in a side Chapel ?

Where is enterred Prince Thibaud , Monseigneur youngest Son ? in a side Chapel ?

He's buried in the crypt of the chapel

Tombeau du Prince Thibaut d'Orléans (1948 † 1983).

360px-Tombeau_de_Thibaut_d%27Orl%C3%A9ans.jpg

I am sad no interest in the Fashion Royal Forums for the Funerals of the Royal Prince.
They took place yesterday at Dreux , the Orleans Necropole.
The Count de Paris and his wife were sitting at one side of the coffin. On the other side the Duchess of Montpensier and Princess Banche , her handicaped daughter.
Behind Prince François Sister and her husband, 2 brothers and their wifes and all her Children.
Some Members of the Orleans family were there too.
Now in heaven he is the Heir of the Comte de Paris and now Prince Jean will be the Heir of the House

Among the Royals there are only 2 handicaped Princesses : Princess Blanche d' Orléans and Princess Cornelie of Prussia.
In the new Royal Generaltions all new borns are cute, healty , loving ,happy, rich and titled.

Last edited by a moderator:
HRH the Duchess of Montpensier received for two hours after the funeral the condolences of those present. She is not only a devout Catholic and a wonderful mother but an inspiration to us all.

Among the Royals there are only 2 handicaped Princesses : Princess Blanche d' Orléans and Princess Cornelie of Prussia.
In the new Royal Generaltions all new borns are cute, healty , loving ,happy, rich and titled.
Wasn't one of the granddaughters of the Kaiser born with Downs syndrome?

Back
Top Bottom