Vatican City State: The Conclave 12-14 March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it was as expected - nonetheless tomorrow will bring more expectation and excitement! There was an awful lot of black smoke coming out of that chimney so I guess extra chemicals are to be used so there will be no doubt black or White!

I just hope they don't choose an Italian; people used to complain that the Italians had a lock on the Papacy, but in recent years that hasn't been the case.
Hope the Cardinals don't revert!

It's officially black smoke, so no new Pope yet.

Ah well we might see some white smoke tomorrow!

St Peter's Square was packed earlier but its now deserted.

Whats it is like inside the Conclave from one who has been there,
BBC News - Papal conclave: Cormac Murphy-O'Connor's insider's view and then dinner, champagne and song afterwards.

Also Cardinal Schonborn's 92 yr old mother Eleonore said today her son is not up to the task of being Pope. She said he is too nice to have to deal with all the nastieness in The Vatican.

Last edited:
Well I agree with Cardinal Schönborn's mother. He would be a great pope but he is way too nice for all the nasty groups existing within the RC church. Apparently he has also an opponent in Cardinal Sodano. Schönborn has oppenly critisized him a few years ago because Sodano tried to hide the fact that Schönborn's predecessor Groer was accused of pedophilia.

Well I agree with Cardinal Schönborn's mother. He would be a great pope but he is way too nice for all the nasty groups existing within the RC church. Apparently he has also an opponent in Cardinal Sodano. Schönborn has oppenly critisized him a few years ago because Sodano tried to hide the fact that Schönborn's predecessor Groer was accused of pedophilia.
I like Schönborn :)
I´m hoping for a very long Cónclave and the surprising candidate being elected ;)
The A group isn´t very appealing...but I guess they´re A group because of the support they have :whistling:

Whats it is like inside the Conclave from one who has been there,
BBC News - Papal conclave: Cormac Murphy-O'Connor's insider's view and then dinner, champagne and song afterwards.
Thank you, I like this a lot. I´ve spent great part of the day asking myself how things are going inside the Sistine Chapel. I mean, just a matter of curiosity, how the election actually is, how they behave, if they talk to each other, if there are "teams"...All the secrecy around the Conclave makes it very misterious. So I appreciate a lot this insider´s view.

I was surprised to read about the songs and champagne afterwards, and above all, after reading about the clap just after the Pope was elected. Somehow, I would have never imagine that the cardinals clap in that moment. I though it would be a more... solemn thing, to say anything.

I always wonder who cooks for them if no one else is allowed in

I've looked at this 9 ways to Sunday (US saying). I think they either will elect a Man of the people/PR genius or a managerial hand who will try to tidy up the Curia. I think the long period of discussion before the Conclave was meant by the Cardinals to agree they had to move things, one way or another.

For a long time I thought the Italians and the Curia would unite, as usual and vote as a block. Now I am not so sure. I think the lines are being drawn in other ways. This is fascinating!

All this is just my opinion

Gotta have 77 to have a majority...it's possible we are going to see more than 2 or 3 days.

LaRae

With the state of the Vatican as it is now, I would not wish this papacy on anyone I liked. The incoming pope is going to have to clean up a few big messes.

I always wonder who cooks for them if no one else is allowed in

"
The nuns who will cook for the cardinals during the conclave at their Casa Santa Marta residence "are already preparing meals of soup, spaghetti, small meat kebabs and boiled vegetables", the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reported, according to AFP agency. "Perhaps this food, similar to that served in hospitals, will help to speed up the choice of a successor," it concluded."

"
The nuns who will cook for the cardinals during the conclave at their Casa Santa Marta residence "are already preparing meals of soup, spaghetti, small meat kebabs and boiled vegetables", the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reported, according to AFP agency. "Perhaps this food, similar to that served in hospitals, will help to speed up the choice of a successor," it concluded."

Imagine being in Rome and getting "hospital food." :ermm:

What do you think of Hilarius II as a name for the new pontiff? It hasn't been used since the 5th century so it would be rather new in our day and age and the last one was made a saint.

There might be a Pontiff as soon as this evening...!Besides Scola of Milano and Scherer of Sao Paulo,the Cardinal of Quebec apparently has high chances too....That would be a first,a Pope from the Americas.

Four votes today,twice the chimney will tell its story.

Somehow I think it will happen tomorrow...:whistling:

I guess this smoke is the most expected and most mysterious smoke in the world.

Black smoke again today for the second vote.

This is not only the second vote. This is also the third vote which is "burning".

Today afternoon is the key, IMO. If there is no Pope after the third smoke (4 and 5 vote), we can start considering the "B group" cardinals...the surprise factor ;)

Last edited:
BBC News telling me that we get white smoke, and then wait 45 minutes to know who it actually is! I'm surprised.

BBC News telling me that we get white smoke, and then wait 45 minutes to know who it actually is! I'm surprised.

True,the instant white smoke emerges from the chimney isn't the same as when they officially announce and present the new Pontiff on the balcony over St.Peter Basilica,the moment is significant as it starts with the "Habemus Papam" :We have a Pope.That might take up to an hour as the new Pontiff has to change in the robes of a Pope which are awaiting him in a small room,the Room of Tears,immediatly next to the Sistine Chapel.Robes await him in three sizes,depending on how tall,small etc ...And then the whole procession has to walk through the Basilica and then up to the balcony,quite a distance too really.So yes,it does take a while.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom