Kingdom of Lesotho

• Thread starter Princess_Elizaveta
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

Princess_Elizaveta

The Kingdom of Lesotho

Lesotho's Queen Mother dies
07/09/2003 21:22 - (SA)

Maseru - The Queen mother, Mamohato Bereng Seeiso, the mother of King Letsie III of Lesotho, died after collapsing at the Roman Catholic church in Mantsoenyane outside Maseru, a member of the Basotho Royal family announced on Sunday.

Chief Nkoebe Nkoebe said the Queen mother collapsed at the church where she was attending a retreat for the Catholic order of Saint Cecilia. She had apparently complained that she was tired.

The 62-year-old Queen mother was taken to Mantsoenyane Catholic Hospital where she later died. Her sudden death has shocked many Basotho as she recently attended a number of public functions including the inauguration of the Bafokeng King in Rustenburg and the birthday celebrations of King Mswati III in Swaziland, the chief said.

Queen Mamohato leaves two sons, King Letsie III, principal chief Bereng Seeiso Seeiso and two grandchildren.

President Thabo Mbeki on Sunday conveyed South Africa's condolences to King Letsie III of Lesotho on the death of the Queen Mother. Mbeki's message said: "On behalf of the government and people of South Africa, please accept, Your Majesty, our sincere and heartfelt condolences during this time of bereavement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Your Majesty and your family, as well as the Government and People of the Kingdom of Lesotho during this time of mourning."

Queen Mother to be laid to rest on September 20

The Queen Mother, Mamohato Bereng Seeiso, the mother of King Letsie III of Lesotho, will be laid to rest on September 20 at the top of the mountain Thaba-Bosiu, outside Maseru, the royal family confirmed today. The Queen Mother died on Saturday after suffering a heart attack while attending a retreat for the catholic order of Saint Cecilia in Mantsoenyane outside Maseru.

The 62-year-old Queen mother was taken to Mantsoenyane Catholic Hospital where she was certified dead on arrival. Chief Mathealira Seeiso said the Queen Mother would be laid to rest on Thaba-Bosiu, the Basotho national shrine, where the founder of the Basotho nation King Moshoeshoe I, paramount chiefs and her late husband King Moshoeshoe II, were buried. Seeiso said it was not yet known whether the Queen Mother would be accorded a state funeral or a private royal family funeral.

Phakalitha Mosisili, the Lesotho Prime Minister, announced today to the Basotho nation that the royal family and the government were making arrangements for the funeral. Her sudden death has shocked many Basotho as she recently attended a number of public functions including the inauguration of the Bafokeng King in Rustenburg in South Africa and the birthday celebrations of King Mswati III in Swaziland, the chief said.

The ANC Wome's League sent its condolences to the Basotho nation saying "as the women of South Africa, we join the continent and the entire world in dipping our revolution suspect to the Queen's life". The league said in a statement today the Queen Mother was not just a mother of King Letsie III, but had had her own mission and responsibilities, which she executed well. "She was very active at the church and further provided many people, especially women, with a sense of hope in life.

"She will be sadly missed for her exemplary life style, which is a very rare phenomenon in modern society.

"We send our deepest condolences to the King, Royal House and the entire peoples of Lesotho. We wish to assure them that we fully share their sorrow, grief and loss," Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, the league president, said. - Sapa

Last edited by a moderator:
King Letsie III from Lesotho waters a newly planted young tree dedicated to his honour in Chiang Mai , Thailand, Thursday 15 June 2006. The king and Queen Masenate came to Thailand for the 60th anniversary of the rule of Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the world's longest reigning monarch, and have toured developemnt projects in Thailand's north Thursday with Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

(from ANP-EPA/GOVERNMENT HOUSE)

Attachments

• 3189896.jpg
    3189896.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,209
I've been reading about royality of Africa and I found one thing about the monarchy of Lesotho: It seems that the eldest child of the king will inheir the throne, even being a woman. I don't know if it's true, but in The Lesotho Monarchy - Princess Senate Mohato Seeiso the oldest child of the king is called crown princess, however in Wikipedia says his son is the heir apparent. If the little girl is the heiress, it's very good to see that the monarchy is evolude in somewheres over Europe.

The crownprincess is really lovely! She has a beatiful smile.

And yes, women can inherite Crown in Lesotho as well as in another parts of the world. It's not a question of being ahead of Europe or elsewhere. It's simply tradition. In Spain , women could inherite a Crown in Habsburg ruler's times. However, when Borbns reached power, they had Salic rule and women couldn't inherite the Crown anymore. It's not an "evolution" issue. There were countries as Russia in which women could be Empress , but after Catherine II , the couldn't. The reason? Paul I, his son, hated his mother since she had had lots of lovers...and he made a rule which forbade women to inherite the Throne. :ermm:

Vanesa.

Yes, I know about Russia and empress Catherine The Great but in Africa, I thought they kept monarchy for a question of tradition so it's "natural" that the son of the king became the next king, not his daughter, that's what I mean. Good to see that Lesotho will have a reining queen. Maybe the first?

I don't know about Lesotho. I think there were countries in which women could wear a crown by their own. I think it was the case of Kigndom of Ghana. ( I mean the ancient kingdom of Ghana, since Ghana is now a Republic...Besides former kingdom of Ghana was not the same territory in which Republic of Ghana is setteled today). I think there are other African countries in wich women could reign...Unfortunately I can't remember them by now. Anyone? :ermm:

Many thanks for your insight , White Princess!

Vanesa.

She can't get the crown...

They call her the crown princess. Because she is the first born. She will never be Queen. I know it is crazy, but the crown will go to the King's only son. He'll be the next King.

If you read the biography of the King and Queen, you'll see it hasn't been updated in a while, their 3rd child isn't even mentioned.

Josette

Nice to see the ties between the Emirate and the African Kingdom being strengthened there.

Chief Paolos Moloi of the Makholokoe nation from Harrismith in the Free State Province of South Africa presented a cow to Lesotho King Letsie III during his courtesy call on the King at his palace in Matsieng on March 10th. Chief Moloi and his entourage will be part of the commemoration of the founder of the Basotho nation, known as King Moshoeshoe’s Day, at Thaba Bosiu in the Maseru district on Thursday.
King Letsie expressed gratitude to the Chief and his nation, saying that the gift to him of the light brown cow was a sign of their cordial relations and cooperation.
African Press Agency

Does anyone have information about the sons of Prince Seeiso? I believe his first son was named Bereng.

Thanks,
Josette

Last edited:
African princess to visit St David's

Lesotho's Princess Mabereng is hoping to be in St Davids on Saturday, 1 May, to support a fund-raising event for her country’s capital city.
The Princess, who is the wife of Prince Seeiso, Lesotho’s high commissioner in London, will be in St Davids to support a fund-raising walk for the new Wales Centre which is being built in Lesotho’s capital city Maseru with assistance from the Welsh Assembly Government and Dolen Cymru, the organisation which twins Wales with Lesotho.
The centre will provide support for the disabled and HIV/Aids sufferers, and it is planned that rooms in the centre will be named after communities in Wales that have made financial contributions to their construction. - Haverfordwest Today

More in Western Telegraph
The Princess Mabereng of Lesotho - Flickr

Last edited:
The Queen of Lesotho wore gala outfit in the event in Thailand for the king's 50 anniversary on the throne. Does anybody have a picture of her wearing a tiara maybe? :)

Queen of Lesotho visits Wales

HM the Queen of Lesotho Masenate Mohato Seeiso is on her first visit to Wales due to 25th anniversary of the beginning of charity relationship between Lesotho and UK.
On October 4th 2010 HM has visited The Maelor School in Penley near Wrexham and Dolen Cymru in Cardiff. - BBC

**Pic 1** **Pic 2**

On October 5th 2010 HM the Queen of Lesotho, her brother-in-law the Prince Seeiso and his spouse the Princess Mabereng Seeiso came to pay their respects to ancient ancestor, Prince Jeremiah Libopuoa Moshueshue. - Shropshire Star

** Pic **

As a promising youngster he had been send to England for further education. On a visit to Welshampton, to attend the consecration of a new church, he fell ill and died in 1863. It was decided to bury him next to the new church.
The Lesotho royal family has never forgotten its ill fated Prince. In 1999 the late Queen-Mother Mamohato came to the village. - Daily Post

King & Queen visit Monaco

TM King Letsie III of Lesotho and his wife Queen Masenate Mohato Seeiso attend the Peace & Sport 5th International Forum on October 26, 2011 in Monaco.

daylife gallery

King of Lesotho Says is Pleased with His Visit to Cuba
The King of Lesotho, Letsie III, affirmed to be pleased with his visit to Havana, at the Jose Marti International Airport, where he was saw off by Cuban Deputy Foreign Minister Marcos Rodriguez, on Thursday evening.
The African king, who had previously visited Cuba in 2007, noted that his second visit shows both nations’ willingness to strengthen the existing friendship bonds and cooperation relations that date back from 1979.

African prince tours Sheffield steel giant - Business - The Star
Prince Seeiso Bereng Seeiso, younger brother of Lesotho’s ruler, King Letsie, visited Sheffield Forgemasters and Geko Industries, which has developed an eco-friendly ethanol gel, that can be used in place of fuels that create pollution, including toxic gases.
The prince visited the city as part of his work with Connecting Communities Worldwide, the Sheffield-based social enterprise, launched by City School’s former assistant headteacher Ken Dunn, who accompanied him on his tour, with Forgemasters’ directors Peter Birtles and Neil Maskrey.

TM King Letsie III of Lesotho and his wife Queen Masenate Mohato Seeiso attend the Peace & Sport 5th International Forum on October 26, 2011 in Monaco.

daylife gallery

The King was on the official list of guests attending Prince Albert's wedding in Juy but was he actually in attendance?

The King was on the official list of guests attending Prince Albert's wedding in Juy but was he actually in attendance?
Yes, he was.

HIS MAJESTY LEAVES FOR MONACO'S PRINCE WEDDING
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]His Majesty King Letsie III and his entourage left for Monaco on a four day visit on Thursday afternoon.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]The Minister, Dr Pakalitha Mosisili, Deputy Prime Minister, Cabinet Ministers, Members of the Diplomatic Corps, Principal Secretaries and other senior government officials bid His Majesty farewell at the Moshoeshoe I International Airport.[/FONT]

King of Lesotho receives Kuwaiti Ambassador - 28/11/2011
King of Lesotho Letsie III received here the Kuwaiti Ambassador to South Africa and Non-Resident Ambassador to Lesotho Hussein Bader Al-Oqab.
The meeting focused on means to bolster bilateral relations and also touched on issues of regional and international significance.

King Letsie III approved firing two ministers and a deputy minister amid divisions within the ruling party ahead of polls expected later this year. - Full article

Prince Seeiso Bereng Seeiso, brother of the King, was invited to Prince Harry's wedding:

n April 2006, he and Prince Harry formed a charity called Sentebale to support organizations working with Lesotho's disadvantaged young people and children, particularly those orphaned as a result of HIV and AIDS

Good for her!
Beautiful and clever young woman!

Back
Top Bottom