Princess Hisako Takamado and Family: News and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diplomats focus on postquake resilience in photo exhibition - The Mainichi Daily News
Princess Takamado, the show's honorary president who picked it, said in a statement that the photo "also captures in the background the sea, the sky and the mountains and, to me, the whole composition seemed to express deep sorrow, great awe and respect for the now quiet forces of nature, and, by showing the play of light on the sea's surface, seemed to indicate the rays of hope for the future."

Princess Hisako looks back
Princess Hisako of Takamado told The Yomiuri Shimbun in a recent interview that she feels as if her husband, who died unexpectedly of a heart attack at the age of 47 in 2002, is merely away from home and will return shortly. Prince Takamado was extremely popular in his role as intermediary between the Imperial family and the people. Nov. 21 marks the 10th anniversary of his death. [...]

The following are excerpts of The Yomiuri Shimbun's interview with Princess Hisako.
The Yomiuri Shimbun: The fields you took over from your husband, including football, children's upbringing and sports for the disabled, have developed extremely well in the past 10 years.

Princess Hisako: Prince Takamado liked the term "ichigo ichi e" (once-in-a-lifetime meeting). He energetically supported activities that he thought were good. I do as much as I can. Yes, there are some fields that have developed but I think they developed because of the efforts of the people involved as well as the trend of the times.

Q: On many occasions, you respond with on-the-spot witty answers without relying on a prepared script.

A: It's true that I think on my feet and say what I like when the atmosphere is friendly. As Prince Takamado was good at conveying his intentions through his own words, I behave like him.
Asiaone

Princess Hisako looks back / 10 years after Prince Takamado's death, she still feels husband nearby
The following are excerpts of The Yomiuri Shimbun's interview with Princess Hisako.
Q: You also have devoted yourself to environmental protection.

A: Prince Takamado and myself were interested in this from the beginning. At first, Prince Takamado thought it would be difficult for the Imperial family to become involved in the issue as it related to politics to a certain extent.

However, after careful consideration, he concluded he could express his basic ideas on the issue. For example, in a talk about birds, I might say it would be nice if we could prevent them from becoming extinct as we cannot revive them once they die off.

Q: Do you feel Prince Takamado is always with you?

A: As he died so suddenly, I don't feel he is far from me. I feel as if he will return soon, even today. As I had a lot of opportunities to listen to his ideas, I and my clerical staff would think about what Prince Takamado would do in such and such a case. I don't really think of it as being 10 years [since he died]. I feel the years only when I consider our daughters' age.

Q: Princess Tsuguko was 16, Princess Noriko was 14 and Princess Ayako was 12 at that time.

A: After Prince Takamado died, I was worried about our daughters and cared for them as much as possible. But I was surprised to learn recently that they were worried about me. They used to wonder, "Do you think mother is OK, as she isn't sleeping much and has lost weight?" Children are reliable, although parents tend to regard them as too young.

Q: Is your position as the head of a branch of the Imperial family a heavy load?

A: Yes, it is. Unlike the time when Prince Takamado was the head, I have to make decisions in everything. I also considered balancing the position with that of a mother.
I told my daughters that once a father dies in a family with children, the mother must work to support the family. When I told them I would be absent from home more frequently as I had to do what their father did, they told me it was natural. [...]
The Yomiuri Shimbun

Tokyo pub honors memory of special customer, Prince Takamado
Employees and patrons at a Japanese-style pub in Tokyo fondly recall the entrance of a first-time customer wearing his hat low at dusk one day in autumn 1998. As the “izakaya” started filling up with revelers, the man took a seat at a table in a corner and said with a smile, “I have come here at last.” [...] The newcomer was Prince Takamado, a first cousin of Emperor Akihito. [...]

His Highness had always said he wanted to visit a bar with a common touch, and he took action with two of his friends,” said Kazuaki Kojo, 77, one of the friends who accompanied the prince on his first visit to the establishment. The Prince drank a jug of beer and a glass of sake. He also devoured deep-fried tempura squid legs. Kojo said the prince repeatedly said to no one in particular: “This is good.” Used to strict rules and protocol as a member of the imperial family, the prince took a fancy to the “common” izakaya. In March 2000, organizers of the H.I.H. Prince Takamado Trophy All Japan Inter-Middle School English Oratorical Contest held a party at Masukame. The prince was the honorary president of the contest, and the party gave him a chance to fulfill his long desire to return to the pub. [...]

Whenever the prince and princess returned, they always sat at the table in the back.
They even treated Swedish Crown Princess Victoria to “yakitori” and "chuhai," a shochu-based beverage, at Masukame when she visited Japan.
The Asahi Shimbun

Princess Hisako Takamado attended the final match of the FIFA Club World Cup Japan 2012 at the Yokohama International Stadium, Kanagawa, Japan on December 16, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Princess Hisako Takamado attended the 34th Empress's Cup All Japan Women's Football Tournament final match between INAC Kobe Leonessa and JEF United Chiba Ladies at Nack 5 Stadium Omiya on December 24, 2012 in Saitama, Japan.

- Princess Hisako (love the festive brooch/pin)
- Princess Hisako presenting the cup

Princess Tsuguko has posed for photographs prior to her graduation ceremony at Waseda University in Tokyo on March 26, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Princess Hisako Takamado left Sweden after the wedding via Finland
She admires the finnish designer Oiva Toikka very much and had informed to Fiskars, that she wanted to meet Toikka when she was changing planes in Helsinki.
The head of the press department of Fiskars tells that the meeting was warm and easy. One could say that the princess and Oiva Toikka are friends. The princess has admired Toikka's glass birds and other designs for years. There was a big exhibition of Toikka's works in Helsinki Design Museum in 2010, and the princess visited the exhibition. She came to Finland for a private visit. She met Toikka also then and they had dinner together. When Oiva Toikka visited Japan, the princess hosted a dinner for him.
The head of the press department tells that they know that the princess collects Toikka's birds, and the princess was given this year's bird.
Japanin prinsessa halusi tavata Oiva Toikan pikavisiitillään - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat
Designer Oiva Toikka's glass birds
http://yritysmyynti.fiskars.com/Sisustaminen-ja-lahjat/Iittala-Birds/Birds-by-Toikka]

Last edited:

Princess Hisako Takamado has visited the Takeo City Library in Takeo, Saga, on August 5, 2013.

** Pic **

Princess Tsuguko is on a four-day visit to Sri Lanka from August 19 - August 23 in response to an invitation extended to the Princess by President Mahinda Rajapaksa and First Lady Madam Shiranthi Rajapaksa during their visit to Japan in March this year.

Yesterday, August 20, she met President Mahinda Rajapaksa at the President's House in Kandy, 131 kms from Colombo.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Thanks for the update!
The both parties seem to enjoy the visit very much.
Princess Tsugiko is a lovely woman. I like her classic ensemble very much.

You are most welcome! :flowers:

On August 20 Princess Tsuguko also attended the Esala Perahera festival in the central town of Kandy. Thai Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn was also present:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

And on August 21 Princess Tsuguko visited the pilgrimage site Sri Mahabhodhi in Anuradhapura:

Princess Hisako departed from Narita airport near Tokyo on September 3, 2013, to leave for Buenos Aires. She will attend a general meeting of the International Olympic Committee in the Argentine capital on September 7 to make a speech thanking the world for supporting northeastern Japan after the devastating March 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

i was happy to see tsuguko in sri lanka, it seems to me it's the first official visit she ever performed? it's great to see her. she looks very different from the last pictures we have: long hair and she seems to have lost a fair bit of weight as well.

why sri lanka? did she get a personal invitation? i love the picture of her and the thai princess taking pictures, just like anyone else would. i hope more pictures become available of the visit and that she continues to perform such visits more often!

why sri lanka? did she get a personal invitation?

Please see post 101 above, where I've answered that question: President Mahinda Rajapaksa and his wife had met Princess Tsuguko during their visit to Japan and had invited her to come :flowers:

Princess Hisako at two IOC events in Buenos Aires on September 6, 2013 - on pic 1 she's greeted by Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge. Pic 2 of meeting Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia is lovely:

Thanks for the updates!
It is nice to see Princess Takamado attending the meeting. Hopefully the Japanese metropolis will win. Prince Felipe is such a gentleman.

You are most welcome, Al_bina! And they've indeed won - Japan will host the 2020 Olympics!

Tokyo defeated Istanbul with 60:36 in the final round of secret voting by the IOC. Madrid was eliminated earlier.

Here are some pics of Princess Hisako during the bid presentation, yesterday, September 7:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** daylife gallery ** zimbio **

On September 7 Princess Hisako also visited the Club Atletico Boca Juniors in Buenos Aires:

** Pic **

And today, September 9, she arrived back at Narita airport near Tokyo - happy and lovely looking:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Princess Hisako pictured during a speech at the 'Japanese Festivals in Ishikawa' at Hondanomori Hall in Kanazawa, Ishikawa on October 5, 2013:

** Pic **

Princess Hisako has made kimchi at the South Korean Embassy in Tokyo on December 7, 2013.This event is to celebrate the tasty iconic Korean dish being listed as a UNESCO intangible cultural heritage.

** Pic **

#1-2: Yomiuri news

#1: Princess Hisako in Kochi Prefecture on Sept 1, 2005
#2: Princess Hisako in Toyama Prefecture on Sept 21, 2005.

In Picture #2, Princess Hisako had a very picturesque exhibit to see with the way the different purple and white flowers had been beautifully arranged.

Last edited:
Princess Noriko's choice of a spouse is quite puzzling. I was unaware of the fact that Shinto priests can have a family.
Hopefully photos of an upcoming wedding will be released.

Last edited:
So Her Imperial Highness is going to become Mrs. Noriko Senge after her wedding. I hope the Diet will change the laws before the Emperor's granddaughters marry and lose their titles.

And the Princess will be 26 on July, her fiancé is already 40. It's a considerable age difference. I wish them all the best, and I hope the Princess will adjust well to her new life as a commoner.

Last edited:
the age difference is quite important indeed, although who are we to judge, they seem to know each other for a long time, so i guess that's important also.

is it definite that noriko will become a commoner upon marriage?

The law has not been amended. As mentioned in Japan Times, Princess Hisako said of the engagement, “I hope Noriko will raise a loving and happy family and will adapt to a new life.” So there is a strong chance that Princess Noriko will be prepared to live like a commoner.

Last edited:
Well, it is good news to hear of another wedding in the Imperial Family of Japan. The couple seem to have known each other for quite a while and to me, this seems a good thing as they realise they want to be together all their lives.
I think that Princess Noriko will adapt to her new life very easily because of the ceremonies, protocols etc associated with the shrine that her new family oversee, such things will be very familiar to her.

Mr. Senge can NOT be 40! He looks no older than 30!

Congratulations to the couple. I wish them many happy years together!

Congratulations to the couple! A wedding is always happy news. :)

Princess Noriko's choice of a spouse is quite puzzling. I was unaware of the fact that Shinto priests can have a family.
Hopefully photos of an upcoming wedding will be released.

I've done a little bit of research, and found a Wikipedia page about Shinto priests (not the best of sources, I know), which says that a priest can marry and have children who will often inherit their position, ie they will become a priest like their father. However, this is no longer legally recongised, although many children of Shinto priests still do it. Here's the link if you want to read more :flowers::

Kannushi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:previous:
Thank you for the information! :flowers:
I have been told that only Shinto priests and monks are free to marry. Clerics of most schools of Buddhism are not allowed to marry.

Princess Noriko got engaged | IMPERIAL FAMILY OF JAPAN(originally posted by LittleThunder on royaldish.com)

Her Imperial Highness Princess Noriko of Takamado Set to Marry This Fall. (VIDEOS) | The Royal Correspondent(originally posted by LittleThunder on royaldish.com)

The couple is alright. Princess Noriko radiates joy and looks relaxed. It would be fair to assume that Mr Senge was very carefully vetted by the Imperial Household Agency.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom