"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest press reports, from "sources", suggest that the King still hopes for a reconciliation, including inviting the gruesome twosome to the Coronation, but that William is less keen. That suggests that William's very hurt by the book, and or that he thinks they'd use the Coronation to stage a stunt.

Id' say William is angry rather than Hurt, but Im sure Charles feels it is better to keep up a polite front with them, no matter what

They do appear separately sometimes. They arent attached at the hip. Meghan has been on a lot of podcasts for Spotify without appearances by Harry. She has appeared at online seminars without him.

Harry has appeared on charity videos at Xmas and at seminars without his wife. He was at one for BetterUp only a little while ago. Why on earth would Meghan need to be sitting by him when he is doing interviews with Cooper or Colbert for his book? And he hasn’t done book signing at shops.

Assuming she had an input into the book it seems strang that she is not seen at all supporting him in public when he has been getting quite a bit of unkind stuff on SM about it.

HRHHermione, thanks again for your recaps on the Docu-series and this Book.

I just have one question, does Harry EVER mention Meghan smoking marijuana-weed in it ? Its just that with all of Harry's drug references scattered thru it, up till getting high at night while staying at Tyler Perry's house, I'm just curious if Meghan indulging ever gets mentioned ?

I did read in Tom Bowers book how at her and Trevor's wedding they gave guests as party favors, bags of marijuana. Bower also cited Samantha Markle as saying Doria was a big fan of it too ( not sure if She still does, in fairness).

If there is no mention of Meg using weed, I'd say she's being careful, in case she ever wants a divorce.. so she will look like a good girl beside Harry.

Is it just me or isn't it a bit odd to give out bags of marijuana at a wedding? at the time it was illegal, most probably, and yet it seems that she and Trevor did this.

Last edited:
"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

I doubt if it is anything like the last thing on her mind. Im sure there discussions going on, in the Royal household and at Harry's home, as to what to do for the coronation.

Agree. This will be one of- if not the- biggest event in the world this year. Meghan is absolutely thinking about it. Be it details about their attendance or how to monetize it- It’ll be thought about.

The real question is whether the book and interviews et al has affected their role in this. We may never know that.

Harry didn’t take attendance off the table in his interviews plugging this book- and he sure could have. He hedged on his answer. I wonder if that means they’d rather attend than commentate. They’d make money on the latter, but the former is a nice photo op and less embarrassing imo than not going. Despite their nastiness to the family- not going to a huge global event- when it is your dad’s coronation is a very sad statement.

Last edited:
Yea, Denville exactly. I didn't read Spare, but I very much enjoyed Tom Bowers "Revenge" Book.
From the excerpts, analysis and reviews I have read, Harry comes off as STILL irresponsible, immature, jealous and downright mean.

Meghan though ? Ah....."magical".
Serene, kind, warm, smart, beautiful.....no superlatives are good enough in Harry's besotted eyes.
Which is fine, but Harry to most of us comes off as "damaged" in the Book, with a sure taste for alcohol and drugs.

If the Sussex's ever split and inevitably there were custody of the Children issues, this Book would be devastating to him.
I believe Meghan's input as to what made it into this Book was as much as Harry's.

That's why I'm curious about ANY reference to her "indulging". Probably not, she is one smart tough cookie about appearances and as you rightly say Denville, keeping that "good girl" reputation.

But Courtney Cox ? Nope, bizarrely her " indulgences " and privacy are game.......

Last edited:
I'm very surprised that Meghan gave out bags of marijuana as party favours. Apart from it being a generally weird thing to do, her image here is of someone who's into yoga and avocado smoothies and scented candles and all that natural well being stuff, a bit like Gwyneth Paltrow, not drugs.

But Courtney Cox ? Nope, bizarrely her " indulgences " and privacy are game.......

well it rather put me off CC, I liked her, and I wouldnt mind her doing a bit of weed if her kid was not there, but magic mushrooms in the fridge for any random pal at a party? that sounds a bit druggy.

I'm very surprised that Meghan gave out bags of marijuana as party favours. Apart from it being a generally weird thing to do, her image here is of someone who's into yoga and avocado smoothies and scented candles and all that natural well being stuff, a bit like Gwyneth Paltrow, not drugs.
True I thought that she was like that too, and thoguht that all the clean living and being nice and giving up shooting and the like was perhaps what had attracted Harry to her. But since it seems he has not given up his drug use, and is a mess generally, perhaps she does use drugs, on the quiet, and did even more so years ago...
I mean if you were a guest at a wedding, would you WANT to get packs of illegal substrances from your host?

hedged on his answer. I wonder if that means they’d rather attend than commentate. They’d make money on the latter, but the former is a nice photo op and less embarrassing imo than not going. Despite their nastiness to the family- not going to a huge global event- when it is your dad’s coronation is a very sad statement.
I think they'll want to go, even if it means sitting in the gods and not being a part of it. But if they want to write a coffee table book on the Coronation, they will have to attend. and if they want to write a tell all about it, they will have to attend.

I think they'll want to go, even if it means sitting in the gods and not being a part of it. But if they want to write a coffee table book on the Coronation, they will have to attend. and if they want to write a tell all about it, they will have to attend.

True. There’s money either way.

Sadly, I bet if they are invited the Sussex's will go. There is no way they turn down opportunities to use for "Spare....The Sequel".

It will cast a pall over the Coronation and related Events too. Its already getting like a soap opera cliff hanger.....will they or won't they come ? Will Charles and William apologize ? What about Harry's lawsuit for RPO Security against the Govt ?

WITH NOW Charles allegedly wanting the Archbishop of Canterbury to " broker a deal" with Harry and Meghan to attend.
Why ? Is Charles a glutton for punishment ? After calling Charles out of touch, a liar, and absentee Father ? Camilla is scheming and manipulative
and William is his violence prone arch nemesis !

Does he not see the Sussex's will attempt to hijack it to promote themselves and provide more material for Netflik or Book deals. What is Charles thinking...Almost like an abused wife that keeps returning to her abuser. Thinking he will change.

Its IS supposed to be Charles and Camilla's day AND The People of the UK and Commonwealth Nations.

Not another opportunity for Harry and Meghan to promote themselves globally. And later then write about perceived slights from the Family.

Last edited:
No matter what Charles does, H and Meg will spin it to make themselves seem the victims. If they are not invited they will claim its racism. If they are invited, they will complain that they have to sit in x or y place and are not allowed to pledge allegiance to Charles. I'm not sure but what, if they did not get an invite, they would not just turn up in London anyway.
Its probalby better if they have an invite. If they come, they will be then told where they can sit and what they can do, and they will be controlled a bit.

No matter what Charles does, H and Meg will spin it to make themselves seem the victims. If they are not invited they will claim its racism. If they are invited, they will complain that they have to sit in x or y place and are not allowed to pledge allegiance to Charles. I'm not sure but what, if they did not get an invite, they would not just turn up in London anyway.
Its probalby better if they have an invite. If they come, they will be then told where they can sit and what they can do, and they will be controlled a bit.

I absolutely agree with this. That said, I do think it's a bit of a shame that their presence will clearly put a damper on things a bit for the rest of the family who will need to be very, very conscious of what they say, what they do, what their facial expression is, etc. when they're anywhere even remotely in their presence and still be prepared to feature prominently in "Spare: Part 2" because there's sure to be "he/she avoided us at Pa's Coronation" grievances.

A girl can dream can't she ?......I just wish PM Sunak *could* come out and say that due to heightened "security issues" raised by Harry's tone deaf boasting about killing Taliban Soldiers..... it is best that He not attend.
I know I'm dreaming.......but I will say 3 months plus out, that Charles will regret inviting them.

They will cheapen the day, and will take away from the solemnity and dignity of this truly momentous occasion. And monetize it for use later, not caring one bit either.

Im sure Charles does not want to invite them and would prefer to just ask htem for a private visit, but there will be such a fuss if they dont get an invite, that it is better to ask them. What can they do that they haven't already done? ANohter book? THats on the cards anyway. More TV interviews? He will approach the point where even the US public will get fed up with him.

The bit about Princess Margaret giving him a pen with a fish on it one Christmas and him thinking it was a cheap and stupid gift really grated on me. She was a great aunt, and he was in school at the time. He had everything he could need in terms of clothes and games and toys plus his parents and grandparents were getting him things of that nature. She probably thought “oh this is fun and silly and he can use it at school” and he thought she was being cheap and mean and he’s still making fun of it even though he’s nearly 40.

I thought it was a weird anecdote at first but it gets really weird because the phrase “oh, a Biro. Wow.” gets repeated throughout the book.

Me also. I mentioned it to my mum, who thought that it would be a metal pen with a fish, more expensive than most of us would have. I don’t rule that out. I received a key ring from my great aunt and I wish I knew where it was now that I’m older and she’s no longer with us, because it was quite nice. I fondly remember receiving it because I didn’t expect anything from her and having a chuckle at the time because she gave my father (her nephew) women’s toiletries. At least Margaret gave him something he could use.

It came across as that typical childish assessment that bigger = better (because he said he chose to open the smallest first) when that isn’t always the case. I doubt he would bother to send as much as a packet of sweets to George, Charlotte or Louis’s children in the future, and he’s moaning that he received a pen in the same situation.

I did like the part where he mentioned he wished he’d spent more time with Margaret, because they were the same - the spare. It’s a shame he couldn’t just leave his mention of her at that; if he had it may have made his cousins smile and there would be family members that he hadn’t alienated with this publication.

Being born into the Royal family also, surely he knew by the age of 12 or whatever he was at the time that there was an element of jokey presents in the family, so much so that marry ins have been caught out by it in the past (Fergie I think?) If he had to keep going on about a pen, couldn’t he have said “I wished I’d appreciated Aunt Margo’s present more,” or “Perhaps Aunt Margo had been sending me a sign.” He seemed to take a lot of other things as signs.

The only pen related part that was even remotely amusing was when he wanted a pen and his friend said he had an epi pen.

Last edited:
When Harry wrote about his and Meghan's visit to William and Catherine's KP home and described Meghan's "awe" regarding the art, furnishings etc, he had to have known that such things would be available to them once they were settled in the Gloucester quarters or whatever other grander place was in store for them. And I have read that RCT people were working with Meghan in the setting up of Frogmore Cottage.

William and Kate as newlyweds lived very simply in the cottage on the Bordogan estate in Anglesey. They lived simply at Nott Cott. As their official roles grew, their living circumstances kept pace. It was like that with the Yorks 35 years ago as well.

I find it astounding that H didn't know that the first 6 people in line to the throne need the monarch's permission.

Of course, he did know! But it goes with his narrative, and his need to sell to a wider, ex-UK audience, that all of these 'strange Royal ways' were a complete surprise to him.
If we, as a group of 'students', can know and understand these things - of course Harry can!

While strange, I took that to mean that he wasn’t aware of the others asking (because there was never a real risk of permission being denied.) Both Peter and William had been dating their brides for some years before requesting permission, so met the ‘rule’ that he and Meghan did not. Harry said it was 3 years I believe, but I thought it was 5.

If he actually meant he didn’t know he had to ask, then that feels like a mistake Meghan would make, similarly to the titles and security. I am guessing that she’d have had some input into the part of the book that she featured in. Painting it as ‘the Queen potentially reluctantly gave permission’ gets people talking, and there’d have been no way of doing it without bringing up the Royal Marriages Act/Succession to the Crown act.

Given the Camilla situation (his father marrying his mother because he wouldn’t have been given permission to marry Camilla at that time) he clearly knew that permission was a thing. Even if the change to the top 6 only passed him by, he’d have known more generally.

I thought they only needed permission to marry, not to propose, so he may have been referring to the direction he received when planning to propose.

Of course, he did know! But it goes with his narrative, and his need to sell to a wider, ex-UK audience, that all of these 'strange Royal ways' were a complete surprise to him.
If we, as a group of 'students', can know and understand these things - of course Harry can!
Absolutely. If me, an American, knows that, surely he as a member of the British Royal Family would know that.

Of course he knew it. But he needed to sell the image of the young, innocent child who married another equally innocent, wide-eyed child. They were both too good for the materialistic, old-fashioned, back-stabbing royal family.

This version doesn't reflect well on Meghan at all. As she's always eager to tell us - and he is eager as well, - she's so smart and educated. Surely she should have recognized that he had no idea what he was talking about? That he couldn't teach her how to be royal because he didn't know it himself? But no, the innocent fiancee placed her trust in Harry and Harry alone to guide her... and didn't realize he was such a sweet, good-natured Jon, err, Harry Snow who knew nothing?

How do we know that she hasn’t been seen for a month in public, in Montecito that is? She may well have been around the shops, and other places. She hasn’t been photographed by anyone in public for a few weeks, which is a very different thing. She and Harry and their children could well be having a holiday somewhere private in or out of the US, for all any one of us knows.

Why would Prince Harry be taking a holiday?

AFAIK, the Queen wanted her grandchildren to date potential partners for 5 years before marrying, but it was never a rule as such, and she would have understood that couples who met in their 30s might not want to wait that long. However, Harry must surely have known that he needed the Queen's permission to marry, and just said he didn't to make it look as if the Royal Family was hidebound by strange rules.

I cannot recollect where I read it, but I did read a snippet that suggested she was on holidays over the Christmas/New Year period somewhere in the Caribbean? I could be wrong. In any case, a private jet plus private accommodation with Harry joining the family after completing his publicity tours isn't all that unbelievable.

What would be unbelievable is if H&M are not giving the upcoming coronation serious thought and planning. Given the things written in Spare, it will probably be a very awkward time, but I think Harry at least will attend.

Why would Prince Harry be taking a holiday?
He appears to be finished with the Spare promotional tour for the time being. So it's not uncommon for people to go skiing or for a winter sports holiday during January/February or even go to a warmer place like Hawaii. Their children aren't required to attend school now, so they have some flexibility.

I cannot recollect where I read it, but I did read a snippet that suggested she was on holidays over the Christmas/New Year period somewhere in the Caribbean? I could be wrong. In any case, a private jet plus private accommodation with Harry joining the family after completing his publicity tours isn't all that unbelievable.

What would be unbelievable is if H&M are not giving the upcoming coronation serious thought and planning. Given the things written in Spare, it will probably be a very awkward time, but I think Harry at least will attend.

I agree. The couple are likely considering their options regarding the Coronation should they accept or decline the invitation.

Accept for one or both-Transportation, attire, etc..Childcare in the UK or CA if they both attend.

Decline- Watch or not to watch.

I agree. The couple are likely considering their options regarding the Coronation should they accept or decline the invitation.

Accept for one or both-Transportation, attire, etc..Childcare in the UK or CA if they both attend.

Decline- Watch or not to watch.

There is no real issue deciding to come. They would get a private jet no doubt. Clothing isn’t an issue. Childcare not an issue…nannies. Basically nothing the rest of us have to consider is even a thought for them.

The issue is. Prominent positions. Status. Importance. The royals will have to give them that. Then they’ll come.

AFAIK, the Queen wanted her grandchildren to date potential partners for 5 years before marrying, but it was never a rule as such, and she would have understood that couples who met in their 30s might not want to wait that long. However, Harry must surely have known that he needed the Queen's permission to marry, and just said he didn't to make it look as if the Royal Family was hidebound by strange rules.

Did she? Never heard that. As opposed to Charles who married after nano second.

If couples meet young and stay the course they tend to have a long relationship before marriage. If they are older they don’t.

They were in Jamaica - maybe it’s legal there? IDK. I agree that it is an unusual thing to give out to wedding guests. (My daughter just got married and we gave out cute jars of locally made but widely known jam). But I can’t say I’m surprised they did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom