The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner (2019)

This book which is set to be released on 17 October 2019 recounts the life of the author herself Lady Anne Veronica Coke daughter of Thomas Coke, 5th Earl of Leicester. After her marriage to Scottish peer Colin Tennant, 3rd Baron Glenconner, she was later known as 'Baroness Glenconner.' She also was one of Queen Elizabeth II's Maids of Honour at the coronation in 1953.

However, she is really best known as Extra Lady-in-Waiting to Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon between 1971 and 2002.

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp...9/08/lady-.jpg

According to the publisher Hodder & Stoughton, this book 'reveals the real events behind The Crown as well as her own life of drama, tragedy and courage, with the wonderful wit and extraordinary resilience which define her.'

Hugo Vickers also commented, 'Anne Glenconner has written a remarkable memoir – containing, at last, a genuine portrait of Princess Margaret from one who knew her well. But this book is poignant too, and through the pages shine her courage and good-humoured acceptance of her demons and tragedies.’

https://www.hodder.co.uk/titles/anne...9781529359084/
https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Waiting-.../dp/1529359066

Genre: Biography & True Stories / Memoirs
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
On Sale: 17th October 2019

Old 08-29-2019, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

Anne and Viscount Althorp (later Earl Spencer) were an item until Frances Burke Roche came along.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Courtier

I will read this book.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Serene Highness

This book also fascinates me. I mean, anything about Princess Margaret is extremely fascinating.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:46 AM
Courtier

Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner

This book has to be one of the most engaging memoirs I have ever read.

Beautifully written, Lady Anne's story is incredible. It is truly a life of peaks and valleys. I know many of you here are aware of details of her extraordinary life, eg. growing up in one of the grandest homes in England, her marriage to a brilliant and complicated man, her staunch friendship with and support of Princess Margaret, etc., but there is so much more to her life regarding her forward-thinking attitude and admirable character.

The language and style of her writing is what makes this book special. Her story is so compelling and interesting. Great care seems to have been taken to keep the writing sort of plain and accessible. There's no veneer of labored wit or sarcastic asides or obscure references. No florid language to get in the way of a fine read.

And, while dozens of prominent people are named, to her credit, Lady Anne didn't include an index. She's a lady, not some grasping point-scoring politico.

I'd be interested to see what others here think of the book after you have read it.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its in 'to read pile' so I think given the above recommendations I will give it ago during my annual leave.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:45 AM
Majesty

I have read the reviews online and it does indeed sound very interesting. Will definitely be reading this one soon.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-23-2020, 07:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I have read the reviews online and it does indeed sound very interesting. Will definitely be reading this one soon.
I haven't read it but from reviews and discussions it all seems to be about a very messy life, witht a truly awful husband...
Old 07-23-2020, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I expect my copy in the post tomorrow. Can't wait to read it.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Serene Highness

I've read it and it's fascinating. Lots of gasps & laughs.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
This book has to be one of the most engaging memoirs I have ever read.

Beautifully written, Lady Anne's story is incredible. It is truly a life of peaks and valleys. I know many of you here are aware of details of her extraordinary life, eg. growing up in one of the grandest homes in England, her marriage to a brilliant and complicated man, her staunch friendship with and support of Princess Margaret, etc., but there is so much more to her life regarding her forward-thinking attitude and admirable character.

The language and style of her writing is what makes this book special. Her story is so compelling and interesting. Great care seems to have been taken to keep the writing sort of plain and accessible. There's no veneer of labored wit or sarcastic asides or obscure references. No florid language to get in the way of a fine read.

And, while dozens of prominent people are names, to her credit, Lady Anne didn't include an index. She's a lady, not some grasping point-scoring politico.

I'd be interested to see what others here think of the book after you have read it.

A great review of a marvellous book Leopoldine.

I love that Lady Glenconner added some of her private photos.

And what a small world that is. We in Australia first heard of Barbara Barnes when baby Prince William came here. What a big part she played in the lives of this family, even more so.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I haven't read it but from reviews and discussions it all seems to be about a very messy life, witht a truly awful husband...
Well, if I could borrow a phrase from the movie "Parenthood", she wanted the rollercoaster.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post

Whose life isn't messy? Her ability to take the good with the bad and get on with life is inspiring.

I finished the book yesterday. I could hardly put it down. I found it well written and intriguing.

I can't put together as good of a review as Leopoldine, but agree completely.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskw View Post
Whose life isn't messy? Her ability to take the good with the bad and get on with life is inspiring.

I finished the book yesterday. I could hardly put it down. I found it well written and intriguing.

I can't put together as good of a review as Leopoldine, but agree completely.

Yes, princessskw, one of the best books for insight into this aristocratic world, and inspiring at the same time.

Agree, Leopoldine has given a great review. Wonderful book.

Tags
countess of snowdon, memoir, princess margaret