Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 2013?
I somehow thought he was with him for far longer.

Looking up some information for the Invictus Games Foundation, I noticed that ELF is still listed on that website as a trustee for the games. So perhaps ELF isn't "totally" gone from Harry's life? ?

I love the book just for the reviews it’s generating...this one left me ??

As to this, I’d like to know where Harry and Meghan went that had no path..and how they left a trail. Quitting ? Edward VIII beat them to it!

'Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.'

RALPH!! I love that you've used this quote. :D

Harry and Meghan most certainly have left the secure, well lit path they originally were to journey on for the rest of their lives for a path that, right now, is hidden by weeds, brambles and lots of fallen logs to trip over.

The adventure now is to see where the road less traveled will lead them.

There were some undercurrents, mostly through the media. Meghan was criticized on comments sections for various things, and her older half sister Samantha began her criticism of Meghan to the media. I think at that point Harry mentioned his family would be the one she never had (perhaps because of her half sister and later her father).

I am sure things could have been arranged - if they had asked in advance. Either with a 'practice' tiara (as Catherine apparently did) or with the real one. If I understand it correctly the main issue was that they wanted the tiara 'here and now' while the one with the key (the Queen's personal assistant Angela Kelly wasn't immediately available.

Before I read the book, that's what I thought was the whole story too because that's how one of the newspapers reported that extract but actually the book describes a longer process of multiple requests for the tiara (over several weeks) after the initial attempt failed.

It looks like the shopping incident happened months before Harry was seen publicly with Meghan at the Invictus Games. If that's the case, then of course Catherine wouldn't offer to go shopping with her and have their photos all over the media. I'd have thought Catherine wouldn't dream of escalating the Harry/Meghan stories before Harry himself had planned his own public outing with Meghan.

Meghan may have felt slighted & grumbled to a friend (who repeated it) but given that Harry hadn't arranged to be seen officially with her in public at that point, no doubt he could have explained to her why Catherine went on her own.

I think that Meghan wanted the "escalation". Being seen with Harry wasn't that big as we already knew they were dating. They were a coupe, it was obvious they spent timer together. Outing with Kate would have been huge. It would have meant Meghan met the family, was accepted by them and is close with future Queen. And all that within couple of months od dating. That was something to boost her profile.
Btw, for me bonding over shopping is so ripped from a bad romcom move :whistling:

I am sure things could have been arranged - if they had asked in advance. Either with a 'practice' tiara (as Catherine apparently did) or with the real one. If I understand it correctly the main issue was that they wanted the tiara 'here and now' while the one with the key (the Queen's personal assistant Angela Kelly wasn't immediately available.

That was my understanding too.

I think that Meghan wanted the "escalation". Being seen with Harry wasn't that big as we already knew they were dating. They were a coupe, it was obvious they spent timer together. Outing with Kate would have been huge. It would have meant Meghan met the family, was accepted by them and is close with future Queen. And all that within couple of months od dating. That was something to boost her profile.
It's entirely possible that Catherine shared your view of it too and was guarding herself against being used for publicity shots.

Here’s another book review. They’re coming right out and implying that Meghan pretty much wrote the book:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...dom-fluff-Meghan-Markles-fingerprints-it.html

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out she actually ghostwrote it as the entire book seems to be written from her POV (not even Harry's).

:D My thoughts with the 'Lane Fox' immediately go to the fictional 'The Hon. Mabel Lane Fox' of Downton Abbey.

I knew the name was familiar! Thank you for reminding us of Viscount Gillingham's fiancée.

Last edited:
may I ask those who bought the book if Doria is mentioned at all?
I wonder since a long time what she thinks about it all. If she keeps quiet because she knows her only child and fears to be cut off, now that she is growing old?
Or if she is supportive in the sense if M&H have done the right thing and are true victims....
Thanks.

She is. Quite a lot. Not much is actually said about her. She thought Thimas was unreliable. And seems like Meghan in her rhetoric. Basically it.

Not much is said about anyone but Meghan really, with Harry the supporting character.

I'm replying to some posts from the General Sussex thread.

That was my understanding too.

The book says the initial request was made in late March when the hairdresser came over from New York. They hoped to go to Buckingham Palace and try out the tiara but Angela Kelly was in Windsor & despite sending multiple messages to her, she couldn’t be reached and "Harry was furious". There were then subsequent requests over the coming weeks.

“Like most senior staff at Buckingham Palace, Angela is on call should Her Majesty require her service - and at the time of the first hair trial requests, she had apparently been busy at Windsor Castle, where the Queen was based for Easter Court. But as the weeks went by, and the requests from aides working for Harry continued, a time for Meghan to try the tiara had yet to be scheduled.”

Harry then lost his cool and had a “heated exchange” with Angela. The tiara trial still didn’t happen and “with the wedding just a few weeks away” they were frustrated so Harry spoke to the Queen about it and then they got the trial.

I’m sure Angela has her side of the story too so I wouldn’t want to make any critical judgements of her until I’d heard it.

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that Catherine shared your view of it too and was guarding herself against being used for publicity shots.

Or its possible that when shopping, Catherine has a one track mind like I do. I suggest going shopping together with someone, if they know me well, they come prepared with blinders because if I just happen to spot a bookstore, they think "here goes another two hours of my life I'll never get back again". :lol:

Shopping for a lot of people is a chore and not a social event. Its not doing lunch and getting a makeover somewhere. Isn't true also that Meghan has been quoted that she'd rather be "a woman that works rather than a lady that lunches"? Feeling snubbed about a shopping trip doesn't seem to validate that statement to me.

:previous:

Well if true, having a "heated exchange" with a member of staff is totally out of order on his part.

It's stories like this that do harm to the institution.

The book says the initial request was made in late March when the hairdresser came over from Paris. They hoped to go to Buckingham Palace and try out the tiara but Angela Kelly was in Windsor & despite sending multiple messages to her, she couldn’t be reached and "Harry was furious". There were then subsequent requests over the coming weeks.

“Like most senior staff at Buckingham Palace, Angela is on call should Her Majesty require her service - and at the time of the first hair trial requests, she had apparently been busy at Windsor Castle, where the Queen was based for Easter Court. But as the weeks went by, and the requests from aides working for Harry continued, a time for Meghan to try the tiara had yet to be scheduled.”

Harry then lost his cool and had a “heated exchange” with Angela. The tiara trial still didn’t happen and “with the wedding just a few weeks away” they were frustrated so Harry spoke to the Queen about it and then they got the trial.

I’m sure Angela has her side of the story too so I wouldn’t want to make any critical judgements of her until I’d heard it.

Thank you, that does put a different spin on things but as you say, we don't know the other side.

This question was asked upthread but I haven't seen the answer: Does the book mention the Duchess of Cornwall? I know that the book indicates that Meghan bonded with Charles - although his relationship with Harry is complicated. I can understand that Meghan wanted a closer relationship and advice from Kate, as the are in the same generation. But what about Camilla? I was interested to learn that Harry was regularly checking in with her while she was in quarantine - which was a nice thing for him to do. Did Meghan develop a rapport with Camilla?

The book says the initial request was made in late March when the hairdresser came over from Paris. They hoped to go to Buckingham Palace and try out the tiara but Angela Kelly was in Windsor & despite sending multiple messages to her, she couldn’t be reached and "Harry was furious". There were then subsequent requests over the coming weeks.

I can see how waiting for weeks for a response would be frustrating.
I think the royal staff can make one's life miserable if they wanted to.

Thank you, that does put a different spin on things but as you say, we don't know the other side.

This question was asked upthread but I haven't seen the answer: Does the book mention the Duchess of Cornwall? I know that the book indicates that Meghan bonded with Charles - although his relationship with Harry is complicated. I can understand that Meghan wanted a closer relationship and advice from Kate, as the are in the same generation. But what about Camilla? I was interested to learn that Harry was regularly checking in with her while she was in quarantine - which was a nice thing for him to do. Did Meghan develop a rapport with Camilla?

She is mentioned and they had some time in the Castle if May together. But really I do have to repeat. Nothing is said about anyone at all beyond the two of them. There is more mentioned about Idris Elba and Ellen then there is Camilla. It's all about the name dropping.

The only 2 who get sligjtly more mention are William and Kate and they are put forward as cold.

may I ask those who bought the book if Doria is mentioned at all?
I wonder since a long time what she thinks about it all. If she keeps quiet because she knows her only child and fears to be cut off, now that she is growing old?
Or if she is supportive in the sense if M&H have done the right thing and are true victims....
Thanks.

I’ve sometimes wondered this myself.

I think Doria is either a truly sensible and level headed person, or she’s not but is at least insightful enough to know that her private issues should remain private.

She’s probably like parents of most adult children in that she loves Meghan deeply but recognizes she has flaws. If Doria is smart she gets that it’s no longer her job to try to correct these flaws in the way it was when Meghan was a young child.

I also wonder if she sometimes thinks it might have been best in the long run if Meghan’s blind date that night had turned out to be an anonymous lawyer or banker instead of Harry, (outside of the fact that Doria may love Harry and I’m sure adores Archie).

It does indeed seem to matter to them and allegedly Harry is/was in the insane habit of not only reading Daily Mail(and other tabloid) articles about himself but the comments as well. :eek: I wouldn't do that even for the fluffiest piece of fluffy nonsense that most definitely wasn't about me or anything I cared about.

I know it does.....and that he does that. Insane is the right word. Harry and Meghan want to read good things about them, but in seeking those comments out, they are going to encounter more and more negative ones. Their egos have enormous appetites...It wouldn’t bother me at all (it’s their lives) if they weren’t trying to control social media because of it. Oh - I guess they don’t care about negativity on social media when it concerns another certain couple..

RALPH!! I love that you've used this quote. :D

Harry and Meghan most certainly have left the secure, well lit path they originally were to journey on for the rest of their lives for a path that, right now, is hidden by weeds, brambles and lots of fallen logs to trip over.

The adventure now is to see where the road less traveled will lead them.

Well, they used it in the book, but I don’t think they took Ralph’s advice, since Edward VIII trod that path first

I took a quick look at the article - written by a British journalist- and clicked off of it right away; it’s obvious she’s a Republican and I have no time for her nastiness towards the BRF. Like I said earlier, the Times has sucked lately - this isn’t the first, nor will it be the last, article of its kind.

What exactly do you mean by this?

it seems to me that the cultural differences between Americans and the British are indeed amplified by a lack of empathy and a dearth of kindness.

I mean exactly what I wrote. Perhaps helpful is the famous remark made by George Bernard Shaw: The Americans and the British are two great peoples divided by a common language.

I know it does.....and that he does that. Insane is the right word. Harry and Meghan want to read good things about them, but in seeking those comments out, they are going to encounter more and more negative ones. Their egos have enormous appetites...It wouldn’t bother me at all (it’s their lives) if they weren’t trying to control social media because of it. Oh - I guess they don’t care about negativity on social media when it concerns another certain couple..

I have had concerns for sometime about the source of gossip about other royal couples and their extended families.

I’m listening to FF and I don’t get what the big deal about the relationship between Kate and Meghan is. Not everyone is going to click. These ladies are very different. My mother had two sisters in law and wasn’t close with either!

So far the book okay! Meghan is a saint,Harry sounds messed up and Kate’s awful. Nothings really new in it!

Last edited:
Omid has been speaking about those issues discussed in the book, on telling thing he said was:

In another bombshell revelation, Scobie claims the royal institution would “stop at nothing to make Meghan’s life difficult”, especially over rows surrounding their departing PA and the Duchess’ wedding tiara.

He discloses that an angry Harry phoned the Queen before his wedding to aggressively complain about her key assistant Angela Kelly.

His fury was over a row about what headpiece Meghan was going to wear at the wedding — now known as tiaragate.

Scobie revealed: “Harry had to intervene. He called his grandmother and said, ‘I don’t know what the hell is going on. This woman needs to make this work for my future wife.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12419...nd-meghan-revealed-their-megxit-plans-online/

I'm wondering how "this girl" from William is offensive enough to suggest at best, snobbery, at worst, racism yet "this woman" being said by Harry is okay? It sounds like Harry has quite a nasty streak in him, especially by the standards H&M hold everyone else too.

I’m listening to FF and I don’t get what the big deal about the relationship between Kate and Meghan is. Not everyone is going to click. These ladies are very different. My mother had two sisters in law and wasn’t close with either!

So far the book okay! Meghan is a saint,Harry sounds messed up and Kate’s awful. Nothings really new in it!

I have been very lucky with my in-laws but I have a friend who is still disappointed that after almost 30 years, her mother-in-law shows no interest in developing a relationship with her. I can imagine that Meghan imagined that she and Kate would develop this great friendship and was hurt when it didn't materialize. Unfortunately, this book is going to make it difficult if not impossible, for Kate and Meghan to develop a friendship now. It's never a good idea to publicly criticize someone else (or let another person do it for you.

I have been very lucky with my in-laws but I have a friend who is still disappointed that after almost 30 years, her mother-in-law shows no interest in developing a relationship with her. I can imagine that Meghan imagined that she and Kate would develop this great friendship and was hurt when it didn't materialize. Unfortunately, this book is going to make it difficult if not impossible, for Kate and Meghan to develop a friendship now. It's never a good idea to publicly criticize someone else (or let another person do it for you.

I doubt if Meghan really cares esp now.. Unless she ends up having to come bakc and then she may regret having this book out there.. which is not going to sweeten the relationship with Kate. But I'd say that Meg is now happily in Calinfornia and feels she doesn't need firendship from the RF any more.

Omid has been speaking about those issues discussed in the book, on telling thing he said was:

In another bombshell revelation, Scobie claims the royal institution would “stop at nothing to make Meghan’s life difficult”, especially over rows surrounding their departing PA and the Duchess’ wedding tiara.

He discloses that an angry Harry phoned the Queen before his wedding to aggressively complain about her key assistant Angela Kelly.

His fury was over a row about what headpiece Meghan was going to wear at the wedding — now known as tiaragate.

Scobie revealed: “Harry had to intervene. He called his grandmother and said, ‘I don’t know what the hell is going on. This woman needs to make this work for my future wife.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12419...nd-meghan-revealed-their-megxit-plans-online/

I'm wondering how "this girl" from William is offensive enough to suggest at best, snobbery, at worst, racism yet "this woman" being said by Harry is okay? It sounds like Harry has quite a nasty streak in him, especially by the standards H&M hold everyone else too.

Milk that gravy train Omid. Go for your life. He ain't long for the royal beat. I hope the book makes a lot for him as there won't be much work long term in being their mouth piece.

If its true though it does show another example of their hypocrisy an "do as we say not as we do" attitude.

Wow. Is that the kind of tone you use when talking to your grandmother who happens to be The Queen? If us mere plebs know that Angela Kelly is much more than just a dresser to HM, I am sure Harry knew too. How was he expecting his grandmother to react?

Omid is making H and M look worse every time he opens his mouth. My god, the BRF has better things to do than to make Meghan look bad - and M does that herself. The paranoia is out of control.

That's how Harry speaks to, not just The Queen, but his grandmother? I was just about to say the same thing. Hypocrisy, thy name is Harry. It's ok for H to get his knickers in a knot over "this girl" (which was completely harmless by the sound of it), but HE can refer to Angela as "this woman"? It shows utter contempt for Angela Kelly, but also his grandmother. Harry does have a nasty streak in him. He also has a snobbish streak that runs right down his spine; I can practically hear the disdain in his voice for a working woman, someone who isn't on "his level". He's a Prince, he can get away with and say whatever he wants to. Oops, except he can't - because his grandmother put him in his place.

I don't suppose this belongs here, but.......IF (a big IF) Omid is right about Charles supporting Meghan suing the DM, is it a big deal?

Last edited:
I think the authors wrote it, There was a lot of "Harry" in the book. Omid traveled with him as part of the press corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom