Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 06:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I have always seen it as her ambition having a different kilt and that in line with her family she agreed to put her eggs in the William basket knowing that having a full career would limit her availability. I always thought the 2007 break was an ultimatum talk: are we going to get married because if we are not I need to start building a life of my own. I always thought that getting back together was contingent on William promising that. She was 25 and probably felt she had given up enough and if it wasn't going to work she needed to get on with her life.

Her parents too legally threatened photographers upon the break. Which was the right way to do it.

Also per the book. I get thr feeling that Meghan may have used the decision to renew Suits for another year as a push for a proposal.

I don't think this is bad on either women. In fact it's what women do. And both women were in the back sit power wise regarding their relationship and what they were sacrificing because of it.
Of the three Middleton children she had been the most involved with Party Pieces, pre-2011. Then when the engagement was announced, it was said the the Midds were now going to see if Pippa would be their new successor for PP. And how if she wasn't interested then they'd go further down the totem pole to the youngest James.

So Catherine was in the enviable position of having two baskets. If she and William married and she became a working royal, then swell. If she and William didn't marry she would continue to train to be the next owner of Party Pieces. She was in a win/win situation in terms of having a future mapped out.

So a person without a safety net, apparently felt Kate's two baskets were worthy of a snide dig in FF.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I think in the beginning Kate and William were happy to meet Harryís new girlfriend and were hoping for good things to come of the relationship but itís natural that theyíd be a little wary. Heís coming home with an American actress, the relationship is progressing fast, the girlfriend in question has no exposure to the BRF or to British life in general and doesnít seem too concerned about that deficit. Harry is head over heels and doesnít want to hear anything thatís not uniformly positive..

Regarding Kate helping Meghan out, showing her the ropes and things like that, well, Kate can only show someone what she knows, which is how to work as one member of the The Firm. It probably became clear pretty early on that Meghan and Harry had bigger plans for themselves and, given that, there wasnít much help or advice Kate or any other working royal could give them. And even if none of the above had happened, the fact remains that Kate and Meghan seem like two very different women. Different backgrounds, different interests, different life stages. Which isnít to say they couldnít be polite and friendly.. and maybe a stronger bond would have developed over time. One of the many things weíll never know!
Agreed. I feel like Harry and Meghan were putting too much pressure on W and K - especially- to be as in love with Meghan as he was. Itís as if he thought that because his rushed relationship with M was working, he could rush her through with everyone - everyone had to love her right away, want to hang out with her, etc... Itís very smothering. That time M was upset that Kate didnít take her shopping when they ended up at the same place is a perfect example. Itís like M expected that everyoneís world would center around making her happy..as if Kate didnít have the right to want to do her own thing.

Itís possible for two people who are dissimilar to be friends, but Iím not sure Meghan and Kate could have given Mís temperament and tendency to be rude to people, to be demanding, etc...

Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's a bit unfair to ask about Kate in a Meghan thread, in as much as we don't want to get into trouble with the mods.

However, to answer the question about Kate waiting a year to go out with the Queen is a rather unfair statement.

Freshly back from their honeymoon, William and Catherine were at Buck Palace to welcome President Obama and Michelle Obama. Obviously the Queen was there. Then W & C spent the next year in Wales at Anglesey where William finished off his RAF deployment and then worked as a Search and Rescue pilot. They had engagements back in London during that time and squeezed in a tour to Canada and LA.
Also Zara's wedding. Catherine was also redecorating the cottage in Wales. They had no help that is no cook or housekeeper etc.
So as the couple were busy mostly in Wales the opportunity didn't present itself until April 2012 for Catherine to do an event with the Queen.

I didn't know it was a competition!
Old 08-13-2020, 06:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I don't have time to go over the book one more time and look for specific quotes, but there were a few moments when I thought "are you seriously going there" when it came to Catherine. First was something about how Meghan thought she was going to show her the ropes and bond about being married to BRF, second, yes, as you said they compared how long it took for HMQ to invite Catherine for an engagement to how fast Meghan got one, without offering any explanation on why there was a difference. There are also other moments, like something about how they didn't want their house to be like Cambridges and little stuff like that.
I find it odd that there's even mention about how quick Meghan was invited to go along on an engagement with the Queen in relation to how quickly Catherine was. My simple explanation would be that it happened that way because when William and Catherine married, they not only were only part time royals at the time but they also lived in Wales with William serving in the RAF SAR. Harry and Meghan jumped feet first into full time royal duties and engagements right after their wedding.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A question for those who read the book:

Assuming H&M were more or less involved in this book and as such it's content, who is really talking?
Predominantly Meghan?
Harry?
Both?
None?

And who do you think was behind what in particular?

I am beginning to think No One talked as such. I think Meghan simply handed over her diaries or portions of her diaries to Omid. That would explain why the authors had access to the private bits.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A question for those who read the book:

Assuming H&M were more or less involved in this book and as such it's content, who is really talking?
Predominantly Meghan?
Harry?
Both?
None?

And who do you think was behind what in particular?
I think the voice is mainly Meghan's. But that makes sense if we choose to believe that Omid only spoke to the couple's friends . Since any friends in their current circle are mainly Meghan's. Harry has drifted away from most of has previous friends and now mostly socializes with Meghan's Hollywood connections or her Toronto brat-pack pals.

But I think Harry considers Meghan's voice to be his own. So even though the book is "unofficially" narrated by Meghan, Harry will endorse everything as he too only views things from her eyes.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I am beginning to think No One talked as such. I think Meghan simply handed over her diaries or portions of her diaries to Omid. That would explain why the authors had access to the private bits.

I'm not sure what private bits you think were told? There is nothing in the book we haven't already seen in the tabloids.

LaRae
Old 08-13-2020, 06:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry I should have elaborated, the private bits, being peeing in the woods and what she was doing in the bath.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

You are talking about 3 or 4 sentences in the whole book.

I think some of this did come directly from Harry and/or Meghan however not in a nefarious way like some are saying....I do believe there were conversations between RR's and The Sussexes (I think this happens with ALL of the working members of the BRF) while they were doing their various engagements. I rather doubt The Sussexes knew the comment about what one does in the bush (although everyone knows how that works) with no bathroom nearby, it would end up in a book.

LaRae
Old 08-13-2020, 07:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Agreed. I feel like Harry and Meghan were putting too much pressure on W and K - especially- to be as in love with Meghan as he was. Itís as if he thought that because his rushed relationship with M was working, he could rush her through with everyone - everyone had to love her right away, want to hang out with her, etc... Itís very smothering. That time M was upset that Kate didnít take her shopping when they ended up at the same place is a perfect example. Itís like M expected that everyoneís world would center around making her happy..as if Kate didnít have the right to want to do her own thing.

Itís possible for two people who are dissimilar to be friends, but Iím not sure Meghan and Kate could have given Mís temperament and tendency to be rude to people, to be demanding, etc...
When I read the shopping trip story I actually thought it was more to do with the fact that if Meghan and Harry were still below the radar going shopping with Kate would have drawn attention to the relationship, but who knows. Maybe that was the idea. Or maybe Kate just wanted a couple of hours to do her own thing.Nobody actually knows, the only person who is bothered is Meghan.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post

So I saw this been discussed in twitter which started somewhere in tumblr.
-That based on the book, Catherine and Meghan finally met in January 10, 2017.
-Then Lainey (blogger who was said to be "close" to Meghan) blind post about Catherine not offering Meghan a ride to go shopping was posted on February 17, 2017.

There are snapshot of the said page of the book and screenshot of the blog post circulating in IG as well.

I don't have the book, but if the said shopping trip is as referred in the second one ... can it be considered rude? I mean, it's only 1 month after first introduction.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
So I saw this been discussed in twitter which started somewhere in tumblr.
-That based on the book, Catherine and Meghan finally met in January 10, 2017.
-Then Lainey (blogger who was said to be "close" to Meghan) blind post about Catherine not offering Meghan a ride to go shopping was posted on February 17, 2017.

There are snapshot of the said page of the book and screenshot of the blog post circulating in IG as well.

I don't have the book, but if the said shopping trip is as referred in the second one ... can it be considered rude? I mean, it's only 1 month after first introduction.

So if this information was given to Lainey the blogger, it must have came directly or indirectly from Meghan. Only Meghan could have told someone how she felt about a situation.
Using media when it suits is a dangerous game to play, that is what surprises me about Harry he must know his mother played the media.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
So if this information was given to Lainey the blogger, it must have came directly or indirectly from Meghan. Only Meghan could have told someone how she felt about a situation.
Using media when it suits is a dangerous game to play, that is what surprises me about Harry he must know his mother played the media.
And Harry is a fan of that. As it mentions, he studied Diana's post-divorce speech so he could mimic it during Sussexit.

There seems to be this belief that Harry views his mother as an innocent angel that needed to be protected. But I think he's much more cynical than that. He's well aware of the games, he admires them and he wants to use that as blueprint for his own media relations and ambitions. He's just not as talented as his mom at it, because she was more witty and she could control her temper and ego better (at least publicly). I'm sure with the Lainey blind and Finding Freedom, Harry and Meghan thought they were being sly foxes and the public wouldn't see the forest through the trees. But I think it's been more like a bank robber who has left all his DNA and fingerprints all over the crime scene.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It's a bit unfair to ask about Kate in a Meghan thread, in as much as we don't want to get into trouble with the mods.

However, to answer the question about Kate waiting a year to go out with the Queen is a rather unfair statement.
It's not Meghan's thread. It's a thread for a book, Finding Freedom, so if the book mentions how long Catherine had to wait for an engagement with HMQ, I'm pretty sure we're in no trouble here. It is in the book after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
You are talking about 3 or 4 sentences in the whole book.

I think some of this did come directly from Harry and/or Meghan however not in a nefarious way like some are saying....I do believe there were conversations between RR's and The Sussexes (I think this happens with ALL of the working members of the BRF) while they were doing their various engagements. I rather doubt The Sussexes knew the comment about what one does in the bush (although everyone knows how that works) with no bathroom nearby, it would end up in a book.

LaRae
Honestly, it's not 3-4 sentences in the whole book. It's more like 3-4 sentences per chapter of details so random, no one is truly interested in them/needed to know and that could only come from one source...
Just a few examples:
- the fact that they have been working from their kitchen rather than office in Vancouver
- the unfamous now peeing situation
- texts Meghan sent to her friends from the bathtub
- what yoga positions she did in Africa and what animals she could see
- their morning routine with tea/making organic breakfast

Basically every chapter has a random fact that feels like something out of fanfiction story
Old 08-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Freshly back from their honeymoon, William and Catherine were at Buck Palace to welcome President Obama and Michelle Obama. Obviously the Queen was there. Then W & C spent the next year in Wales at Anglesey where William finished off his RAF deployment and then worked as a Search and Rescue pilot. They had engagements back in London during that time and squeezed in a tour to Canada and LA.
Also Zara's wedding. Catherine was also redecorating the cottage in Wales. They had no help that is no cook or housekeeper etc.
So as the couple were busy mostly in Wales the opportunity didn't present itself until April 2012 for Catherine to do an event with the Queen.

I didn't know it was a competition!
Firstly thanks to Fem, you star for answering! I was just trying to get to whether quotes I had seen that could be taken as being, almost, quite dismissive of Kate and putting them up as competition almost could be true and it seems as if they could be.

Secondly, sorry Tarlita, I genuinely didn't realise this "was a Meghan thread" but, as its in the "library" section and specific to the book it would be okay to ask about the general tone of the book. Like Muhler I was doing so to try and work out, if for example there was a feeling H&M had contributed to the book, could that possibly mean Kate may actually be quite hurt by somewhat catty comments about her that seem unnecessarily mean or competitive. I 100% didn't think it was competition between the royal ladies about who went out with the Queen first, I was asking if the book was presenting it as such. To me it seems clear that Meghan was available, there was a theatre visit so it was a perfect fit. But that doesn't seem to be said in the book, yet still throws in the aside that it "took Kate 10 months". I'm not trying to put my thoughts on this at all, I'm trying to see what the authors (and those who may have contributed) are thinking by writing things like that.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:02 AM
Serene Highness

My sister is having to self-isolate for 2 weeks after being caught out by the change to quarantine rules on holidays in Spain, and has ordered this book from Amazon as a bit of light relief. So I'll be borrowing it, seeing as I won't have to pay for it, and will see what it's actually like!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
If you have any questions about the book shoot, I'll try to answer!

I just saw your message Fem.

No worries, don't feel any pressure - happy for whatever and whenever works for you.

Don't stress if you're unable to look up and post. There has already been so much released from "Finding Freedom" that I feel I've been bathing in it up to the gills these last few days.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Fantastic Fem, much appreciated.

Does your version have the photos .... are there any new/unique photos included, or are they what weíve seen before?

Can you share some information about The Queenís jewel cabinet, that I believe is in the book.

And Iíve seen it reported that the Cambridgeís home is described in some detail - Iím assuming itís Anmer Hall - and something about William and Kateís photos.

Any details will be great, thanks again.
Unfortunately my version doesn't have photos, I actually didn't know there was a version with photos, what a shame! Since I already paid for it, I'd at least get to look at the photos.

So, for Cambridge's home the description is pretty short.
KP:
Quote:
On the console tables in the foyer, Meghan took in the framed photos of the brothers with their late mother, Diana, family moments with the Queen, and cute snaps of George and Charlotte. Although she had never met the people in the photos before, she had heard a lot about them from Harry. The three of them walked straight past the drawing room, with its neutral color palette accented by important antiques and artwork, and straight to the rear of the first floor and the heart of the Cambridge family home: the kitchen. No fuss, no servants, just the three of them and the tea they were about to drink.
AH:
Quote:
There, the couple often entertained out of their huge kitchen with its glass-roofed dining area. Friends and family from nearby gathered informally in the inviting space for laid-back mealsóa stark departure from lunch at Buckingham Palace or Sandringham, where guests were served by a full staff.
And as far as the jewels, the tiara chosing moment is like two pages, so I can't copy everything, but here are some interesting fragments:
Quote:
Each tiara is stored in its own safety box within the vault, a basement room about 150 feet long that is split into sections. The large spaceóits size, proof of the extent of Her Majestyís collection of hundreds of tiaras, brooches, necklaces, earrings, and other jewelsóis not sparse or cold, like a bankís vault. Instead, itís well-lit, like a showroom.
Quote:
With the official title of Personal Assistant, Advisor, and Curator to Her Majesty the Queen (Jewellery, Insignias, and Wardrobe), Angela was the only person other than the crown jeweler who had access to Her Majestyís personal jewelry collection. From the way each stone was polished to the placement of the matching bracelet, rings, necklace, and tiara upon the pink fabricĖlined tray with a lace-trimmed cover, hand-sewn by the monarchís grandmother Queen Maryóit was clear how much care Angela put into their maintenance.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:30 AM
Courtier

.. i'm deeply dissapointed, that they talk about security relevant issues - they should know better!!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Unfortunately my version doesn't have photos, I actually didn't know there was a version with photos, what a shame! Since I already paid for it, I'd at least get to look at the photos.

So, for Cambridge's home the description is pretty short.
KP:
AH:
And as far as the jewels, the tiara chosing moment is like two pages, so I can't copy everything, but here are some interesting fragments:

Thank you Fem, very much appreciated.

So interesting about Queen Mary herself having hand-sewed the covers for the jewels, historic in itself and very personal for Her Majesty.

Wonderful that everythig looks more like a showroom than a cold vault.

Must have been a thrill for each grand-daughter, bride to be, who-ever gained access. Would be so beautiful but also, the whole history of each piece.

Great to hear a bit about the Cambridge homes - sounds exactly as I would expect. The hearth is the heart of a house, even though hearths these days are large modern kitchens.

Closed Thread