Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

The “suck it up” remark to Her Majesty from her grandson, showing how off the deep end he may go if thwarted and his wishes/demands denied.
I missed reading about this remark to the Queen. Will you elaborate on it?

Old 07-28-2020, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
THe RF are hardly likely to say they disliked her or did not welcome her.. but Harry and Meg seemed to ramp up "how happy the RF and indeed the Spencers and the corgis were" with Meghan... So it seems a bit odd that a year or so later, things went so very wrong.. Or that Harry could indicate that William had annoyed him by saying during the courtship that he should not rush things with "that girl".. and also that Will and K were all keen to meet her and get to know her. Both can hardly be true.
I disagree. It can all be true because people can be annoyed about something in June but over it by November. Families can be flaky about a new relationship initially but by the time of an engagement, throw themselves into making the newcomer welcome. Situations and feelings are dynamic and the reportage of snapshots in time can be true while also apparently contradictory.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:32 PM
Majesty

But Harry's the one who was upset. He was apparently angry with his brother for being "snobbish" about his ladyfreind.. so I don't know why he didn't have some kind of argument with him about it...And the style of his talking about Meg and the royals all getting on so well in November 2017 seemed to indicate that he really believed they all loved her. But I would find it hard to believe that (if my brother had been sneering at her a while earlier) he had suddenly grown to love her...
Harry IMO oversold how fond the RF were of Meg when they got engaged.. esp as within a year or less, he seems to have remembered the "sneering" at her, and telling him not to rush the relationship and that now seems to be his abiding memory of his brother..
Old 07-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But Harry's the one who was upset. He was apparently angry with his brother for being "snobbish" about his ladyfreind.. so I don't know why he didn't have some kind of argument with him about it...And the style of his talking about Meg and the royals all getting on so well in November 2017 seemed to indicate that he really believed they all loved her. But I would find it hard to believe that (if my brother had been sneering at her a while earlier) he had suddenly grown to love her...
Harry IMO oversold how fond the RF were of Meg when they got engaged.. esp as within a year or less, he seems to have remembered the "sneering" at her, and telling him not to rush the relationship and that now seems to be his abiding memory of his brother..
At which point was William 'sneering' at Meghan? We've heard that he cautioned Harry to take his time to get to know her, which apparently annoyed Harry and caused him to think William was being a snob about it. That's far from 'sneering' at Meghan personally and if William was welcoming once Harry had committed, I don't see any reason at all to disbelieve that.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:43 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Logic doesn’t apply to human emotions. Harry feels like he feels - who knows why? I said in a previous thread that I think Meghan encourages these feelings in him, but I think they were already there. Harry is human; like so many ordinary people, he’s insecure about being loved and valued, and insecurity isn’t easily dealt with. You can’t just snap your fingers and make it vanish; no matter how many times your loved ones reassure you, you don’t believe it.
I see your point completely. I also am remembering that Harry has admitted to emotions and depression and I long ago concluded, as did many others, that he suffers from something akin to PTSD. He is a sensitive person and suffered terribly when his mother was killed. He said his brother understood that he was emotionally ill and convinced him to get help. He got better and thought he was over it all, but then last November he said he realizes that his depression must be managed as it has not gone away. I never thought he had resentment over being second and not first because of things he said about being glad, but you are probably right...he may have had underlying feelings about it for a long time. I truly wish him well, and I hope that someday he will be close to his brother and father again.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I'm not so sure if the Sussexes are so irrelevant

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...estseller.html

No. 1 on Amazon UK, no. 14 in the US two weeks before release. The media hit pieces and palace pushback generated sales. The numbers may not have been so high if it weren't for the slamfest. People apparently want to read the whole book and make their own judgment.

Meghan's dad finally weighed in
People like trash like this, especially when it comes to Royalty - we all are best proof ot it!
It´ll be irrelevant at least next year.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grousewood View Post
I see your point completely. I also am remembering that Harry has admitted to emotions and depression and I long ago concluded, as did many others, that he suffers from something akin to PTSD. He is a sensitive person and suffered terribly when his mother was killed. He said his brother understood that he was emotionally ill and convinced him to get help. He got better and thought he was over it all, but then last November he said he realizes that his depression must be managed as it has not gone away. I never thought he had resentment over being second and not first because of things he said about being glad, but you are probably right...he may have had underlying feelings about it for a long time. I truly wish him well, and I hope that someday he will be close to his brother and father again.
Fortunately I don’t have experience with this, but you never get over the death of a parent - I think the best you can do is manage it. William seems to be dealing with it as best as one can - he makes sure he talks about his mum to his kids, makes sure they know all about his grandma. He was young, Harry was even younger ...Maybe he’s taking extreme steps to protect his wife as he thinks she needs protecting as he couldn’t protect his mother....

I think Harry pretty good with Charles, although things could be better if they could just talk one on one ....His relationship with William is a lot more complicated, and that may take real time before it heals.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
If everyone is able to put these issues behind them, or to the side, long enough for H&M to visit with the BRF over Christmas, they are all much better people than me.

I just can't see how anyone could manage it. After everything that's happened - the sheer effort it would take to stay calm and polite at the dinner table...
Family ‘fights’ over uglier and more serious issues can be and usually are mended; you’re still related to them even after all is said and done. If the U.K. side of this quarrel is unable to see their way clear to move past this, perhaps they could benefit from some family counseling.

Sophisticated people of means and privilege are not immune to unreasonable feelings. Most of us would never reject our adult children or grandchildren regardless of the reason.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-28-2020, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I'm not so sure if the Sussexes are so irrelevant
They are becoming world class has been by the minute, very much like the Windsors after WWII, because they are lacking something The BRF and the Cambridges have : gravitas.

To be n°1 on Amazon just shows that, at best, you're a subject of entertainement for the moment, and will be forgotten after the summer when another book about Trump or whatever will be released. I'm afraid that the Sussexes are now reduced, for how long i don't know, as a semi-celebrity status just good enough to be figured on the cover of the usual rags (or websites you seem to cherish so much).

Meanwhile the Cambridges and the BRF, yet the subject of the same gossips , are keeping heads up , carrying engagements and most importantly are showing their RELEVANCE in a World in crisis.

What people will remember from those challenging times ? A working, active, compassionate Royal Family or a mediocre book showing the existential crisis of two insanely privilegied people real tv show style ?

The Cambridges and the BRF are made for History , the Sussexes are made (at least for now) for bad stories.

Clearly they are not playing in the same league.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

And on that note lets move back to the topic of this thread, which is the book 'Finding Freedom' which deals with the lives of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Please refrain from elaborating further on Amazon or on possible books on / by the relatives of the American president.

Further OT posts will be deleted.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post

Meanwhile the Cambridges and the BRF, yet the subject of the same gossips , are keeping heads up , carrying engagements and most importantly are showing their RELEVANCE in a World in crisis.

What people will remember from those challenging times ? A working, active, compassionate Royal Family or a mediocre book showing the existential crisis of two insanely privilegied people real tv show style ?
650,000 people in the UK have sadly lost their jobs since lockdown started. Given the ongoing restrictions, and people being nervous about going out, it's unfortunately inevitable that many more jobs in travel, tourism, hospitality and retail will also be lost. It's not the best of times to be releasing a book about "Finding Freedom" from a life of almost unimaginable luxury.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
650,000 people in the UK have sadly lost their jobs since lockdown started. Given the ongoing restrictions, and people being nervous about going out, it's unfortunately inevitable that many more jobs in travel, tourism, hospitality and retail will also be lost. It's not the best of times to be releasing a book about "Finding Freedom" from a life of almost unimaginable luxury.
There would ever have been a good time, but this is an especially dreadful time...it’s not just about the UK as Meghan is American. America is not only in the grips of the pandemic, but we have all these other issues dividing the country, on top of a Fascist, racist President.

Nico is right...Harry, Meghan and their lifestyles of the spoiled and kind of famous are irrelevant.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

I heard today through an interview with Emily Andrews, who knows Omid well, that the book was planned for last year. But then all that happened and the writers delayed it.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I missed reading about this remark to the Queen. Will you elaborate on it?
The remark which Sun Lion quoted didn't even come from this book but from the book about the Sussexes by Lady Colin Campbell which was released early this month. I borrowed it from friends the day it was published, read it, quoted it on another thread and now it appears on this thread as if it was something that actually occurred!

It involved Harry going into the Queen to ask permission to wed, and being rude to her by immediately snapping that he was going to marry Meghan anyway and if she didn't like it then 'she could suck it up', the expression used. If Harry and his grandmother were alone during this conversation (which was then repeated by an unnamed 'Royal Prince' ) then how Lady C came to know of it is a mystery!

Lady C's book was riven with errors and obviously made-up scenarios, several of which I and others posted, just like her other books, and those posters on the other thread agreed that the scene of Harry and his grandmother she produced was fiction. Now apparently it's fact, and quoted! What was more she was terribly biased, in the other direction, but apparently was believed by Sun Lion.

Just as the pieces from the Times (via the tabloid press) quoted from the Scobie book are apparently regarded as a Sussex autobiography on this thread.

I have pre-ordered 'Finding Freedom' for August 11th. I intend to read it and then hope to come here and post some more that hasn't yet been seen from this particular book. I don't believe myself that you can get a full impression of a book's subject(s) unless you've read a few biographies of the people involved.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The remark which Sun Lion quoted didn't even come from this book but from the book about the Sussexes by Lady Colin Campbell which was released early this month. I borrowed it from friends the day it was published, read it, quoted it on another thread and now it appears on this thread as if it was something that actually occurred!

It involved Harry going into the Queen to ask permission to wed, and being rude to her by immediately snapping that he was going to marry Meghan anyway and if she didn't like it then 'she could suck it up', the expression used. If Harry and his grandmother were alone during this conversation (which was then repeated by an unnamed 'Royal Prince' ) then how Lady C came to know of it is a mystery!

Lady C's book was riven with errors and obviously made-up scenarios, several of which I and others posted, just like her other books, and those posters on the other thread agreed that the scene of Harry and his grandmother she produced was fiction. Now apparently it's fact, and quoted! What was more she was terribly biased, in the other direction, but apparently was believed by Sun Lion.

Just as the pieces from the Times (via the tabloid press) quoted from the Scobie book are apparently regarded as a Sussex autobiography on this thread.

I have pre-ordered 'Finding Freedom' for August 11th. I intend to read it and then hope to come here and post some more that hasn't yet been seen from this particular book. I don't believe myself that you can get a full impression of a book's subject(s) unless you've read a few biographies of the people involved.
Doesn't a biography, or any book, rather depend on who writes it? You trust the source, who will trust the point of view put across.

I don't think anyone would trust a Lady C.

But the other book, with the four of them on the cover, doesn't seem any different from this one. Or indeed anything else. See we have heard seem false. Someone was leaking...heavily. There is nothing in their side that is new.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:01 PM
Majesty

Seemingly a lot was news to many of the posters on this thread, considering the level of critical posting over the last few days!

Katie Nicholl, who has written about the BRF members for many years, is 'stunned by the level of detail in the book'. (Wonder whether she has read the whole of it!) So some of what has appeared seems new to her too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-new-book.html
Old 07-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Seemingly a lot was news to many of the posters on this thread, considering the level of critical posting over the last few days!

Katie Nicholl, who has written about the BRF members for many years, is 'stunned by the level of detail in the book'. (Wonder whether she has read the whole of it!) So some of what has appeared seems new to her too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-new-book.html
It's not. It's that it was confirmed. It never turned out to be true before.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:46 PM
Majesty

Well, some previous stories that appeared in the media, such as 'Meghan made Kate cry' (tales which constantly appeared in the tabloids after the wedding) during Charlotte's bridesmaid dress fitting, never happened in spite of an incredibly frenzied atmosphere, according to this book. So there was no crying and no incident.

And the immediate denials of BP staff in the Fail that they were never nasty in any way to Meghan in spite of her 'difficult ways', following publication of book extracts? Their behaviour does appear to be confirmed, then!
Old 07-28-2020, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well, some previous stories that appeared in the media, such as 'Meghan made Kate cry' (tales which constantly appeared in the tabloids after the wedding) during Charlotte's bridesmaid dress fitting, never happened in spite of an incredibly frenzied atmosphere, according to this book. So there was no crying and no incident.

And the immediate denials of BP staff in the Fail that they were never nasty in any way to Meghan in spite of her 'difficult ways', following publication of book extracts? Their behaviour does appear to be confirmed, then!
IThey never said difficult ways and no one made a statement.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:02 PM
Majesty

I didn't say that anyone made a statement. Tabloids printed numerous stories after Meghan joined the royals that staff at both BP and KP found her difficult to work for.

After extracts of Finding Freedom were published the tabloids that had published these previous stories of sneers about 'Duchess Difficult' and reports of pushiness and American ways and nicknames for her (leaks of which were printed at the time as coming from these KP/BP staff) went back to their sources in the Palaces and there were denials that the staff had done or said anything demeaning or wrong about Meghan. So someone is lying somewhere!

Closed Thread