The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-11-2020, 09:12 AM
Majesty

We know (because he said so) that Harry had thought of leaving the Royal family in his twenties and maybe doing something else. Duty drove him on then though.

IMO it's entirely natural that Harry would have discussed with his girlfriend/future fiancee his feelings about his Royal role and how these have varied over the years. They might have considered various scenarios if Meghan didn't feel comfortable in her role.

However I do not believe in the inference that seems to be being drawn at second hand by these tabloid articles that there was some deep dark plot by the couple to pull the wool over the Queen and Prince Charles's eyes from the very beginning. If that's the narrative these papers are trying to flog it doesn't work for me.

I saw the immense enthusiasm of both of them before the wedding when they visited various parts of the U.K., in the engagement interview, on the public engagements following the wedding and indeed in Australia on the Oceana tour when I saw them in real life. They were as happy as Larry when in Australia.

I'm not going to draw any conclusions on anything until I've read that book for myself.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

I can see that pre-marriage they had many discussions about their future life. It would make sense that Harry would be apprehensive (based on the craziness that started when it became known they were dating) of how things would go. I think it's possible he had a plan B in mind if things didn't level off and sort out.

I absolutely do believe they intended to become FT working Royals for the rest of their lives. Everything they said and did indicated such. I just think plans got derailed and there didn't seem to be an end in sight to the negative pressure.

LaRae

Old 06-11-2020, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, this would be even worse. Knowingly misleading the BRF and the public on their intentions regarding royal life (which would make all of it very disingenuous). It would also contradict a lot of what they've stated so far... So, we'll have to wait and see and why might never know the full truth.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:04 PM
Royal Highness

Excepts from this book, "Finding Freedom", are coming out this weekend. (Currenty Friday morning here in Sydney.)

An article from Rebecca English with some fresh details -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urces-say.html

The Duke and Duchess reached out when they first heard about this book.

After "meetings and dinners" - not sure if between the couple themselves with the authors, or others, reps perhaps - they were more relaxed about it.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:10 PM
Majesty

What details? Neither Rebecca nor her colleagues at the DM have read this book quite obviously as this so fair and balanced article is full of speculation about what could be said in it, what Meghan and Harry supposedly did when they heard of the book being written, and what unnamed sources (of course) in Royal households have reportedly said about the content. Odd, as they almost certainly haven't read it either. A typical Fail article about the Sussexes in fact.

This article is in fact a disgrace for a Royal Reporter to have written. It's complete with loaded words and phrases like 'settle scores' 'resentful couple' 'the gospel according to Harry and Meghan' which 'will plunge relations with the Royal Family to a new low' without any supporting evidence for it so doing whatsoever.

The authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand are 'cheerleaders', the book is 'a hagiography' 'the Sussexes are 'killing the book with kindness'. When have the Sussexes said anything about the book at all? And heaven forbid that anyone should write anything favourable about the couple who are suing Rebecca English's employers!

I'm looking forward to reading this book for myself, having pre-ordered it for the day of release on Amazon Kindle.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Yeah they haven't read it but they are assuming things. I do wonder they they are on the defensive so much since it is claimed they did nothing but support. If that is the case they why the theatrics? Personally I don't think this book will say anything new but i did laugh at her calling Omid and Caroyln royal "watchers" when Omid has been very much part of the rota for years.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Excepts from this book, "Finding Freedom", are coming out this weekend. (Currenty Friday morning here in Sydney.)

An article from Rebecca English with some fresh details -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urces-say.html

The Duke and Duchess reached out when they first heard about this book.

After "meetings and dinners" - not sure if between the couple themselves with the authors, or others, reps perhaps - they were more relaxed about it.
Nothing new here, IMO; just states what Palace insiders fear, not what they already know. Personally, I wouldnít be surprised if their fears come true as this book was no doubt written with H and Mís cooperation.

Iím not worried at all about how HM, Charles and William will look to the British public, but I am worried about H and M (through the book) hurting them.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:02 AM
Majesty

Harry and Meghan haven't written this book or any part of it. We don't even know if they have given any interviews at all to Scobie and Durand.

And I suppose it doesn't really matter what hurts Meghan and Harry have suffered through the provable untruths, innuendos and gossip peddled in Lady C's supposed 'Real Story' or the other book 'Royals at War'.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry and Meghan haven't written this book or any part of it. We don't even know if they have given any interviews at all to Scobie and Durand.

And I suppose it doesn't really matter what hurts Meghan and Harry have suffered through the provable untruths, innuendos and gossip peddled in Lady C's supposed 'Real Story' or the other book 'Royals at War'.

Harry and Meghan are speaking out constantly so if this book is a no-go, we would have heard something from them at this point.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:35 AM
Majesty

They haven't spoken out at all about any of the other books that have come out in the past couple of months either.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Nothing new here, IMO; just states what Palace insiders fear, not what they already know. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if their fears come true as this book was no doubt written with H and M’s cooperation.

I’m not worried at all about how HM, Charles and William will look to the British public, but I am worried about H and M (through the book) hurting them.
Yes, Harry has shown himself to be very brazen and thoughtless with his comments so I can imagine there is worry.

He's done it many times in the past. For example, snarking about how his family had him walk behind the coffin. Or complaining that William didn't make time for him at Eton. Or his comments that no one in the BRF wants to be monarch, which was an inflammatory statement to put in the mouths of Charles, William and George that could of upset the public and made them think the whiners are taking their position for granted. Or Harry's comment against the Markles "the family she never had", which became a big catalyst for her feud with her family. Or his recent comments to fake Greta, arranging a faux marriage for George and James Wessex.

So one wonders what his next verbal dagger will be - "William hates the UK as much as me!" "My dad made my mom miserable and now he makes me miserable!" "I don't think we have the real answers as to what happened in that Paris tunnel!" " My brother's kids will be jealous of Archie and his life in America!" and so on...

Given his past misguided comments, the BRF would be foolish to presume he'll show sound judgement.

Though if Omid and Durand are really the Sussex supporters they have portrayed themselves to be, they may edit out comments that Harry made to them that they know will be self-destructive to him in the long run. But that kind of helpful edit is asking a lot of a writer even if they consider Harry a friend.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Yes, Harry has shown himself to be very brazen and thoughtless with his comments so I can imagine there is worry.

He's done it many times in the past. For example, snarking about how his family had him walk behind the coffin. Or complaining that William didn't make time for him at Eton. Or his comments that no one in the BRF wants to be monarch, which was an inflammatory statement to put in the mouths of Charles, William and George that could of upset the public and made them think the whiners are taking their position for granted. Or Harry's comment against the Markles "the family she never had", which became a big catalyst for her feud with her family. Or his recent comments to fake Greta, arranging a faux marriage for George and James Wessex.

So one wonders what his next verbal dagger will be - "William hates the UK as much as me!" "My dad made my mom miserable and now he makes me miserable!" "I don't think we have the real answers as to what happened in that Paris tunnel!" " My brother's kids will be jealous of Archie and his life in America!" and so on...

Given his past misguided comments, the BRF would be foolish to presume he'll show sound judgement.

Though if Omid and Durand are really the Sussex supporters they have portrayed themselves to be, they may edit out comments that Harry made to them that they know will be self-destructive to him in the long run. But that kind of helpful edit is asking a lot of a writer even if they consider Harry a friend.
I bet that Harry wishes he had never shot his mouth off about "Meghan not having a family" and the RF being the family she never had, when a yaer later it was clear that it wasn't true.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
This is rather intriguing, because the trigger (IMO) that got the ball rolling on negative media stories about the Sussexes, particularly Meghan, was the Jobson book about Charles and reporters picking up tidbits from that book and digging further - Meghan's family speaking out softened the ground.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I can see that pre-marriage they had many discussions about their future life. It would make sense that Harry would be apprehensive (based on the craziness that started when it became known they were dating) of how things would go. I think it's possible he had a plan B in mind if things didn't level off and sort out.

I absolutely do believe they intended to become FT working Royals for the rest of their lives. Everything they said and did indicated such. I just think plans got derailed and there didn't seem to be an end in sight to the negative pressure.

LaRae

If Harry and Meghan were sincere in their pre-wedding interview, I assume they did not plan to "leave the Royal Family" beforehand. I don't remember the exact words, but, if I recall it correctly, Harry said he had explained to Meghan what being a member of the RF entailed and that she was committed to the new role she was about to assume.

I still believe that the problem was a clash of cultures. Meghan, being an individualistic American, puts her own personal interest or "happiness" (see her South African interview) above the interests of the institution of which she happens to be a member. It is not a criticism of Meghan personally, but rather, as I said, a characteristic feature of the American mindset and culture.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If Harry and Meghan were sincere in their pre-wedding interview, I assume they did not plan to "leave the Royal Family" beforehand. I don't remember the exact words, but, if I recall it correctly, Harry said he had explained to Meghan what being a member of the RF entailed and that she was committed to the new role she was about to assume.

I still believe that the problem was a clash of cultures. Meghan, being an individualistic American, puts her own personal interest or "happiness" (see her South African interview) above the interests of the institution of which she happens to be a member. It is not a criticism of Meghan personally, but rather, as I said, a characteristic feature of the American mindset and culture.
But perhaps they weren't being sincere. Harry has talked about a desire to leave the RF in the past. He said that he had explained to Meghan what being a royal meant.. and what life would be like.. yet in the Bradby interview she came across as in essence saying she was not expecting various things such as the unkind press.. So perhaps Harry didn't really explain things very well to her.. Or perhaps they both had an idea that if things went well, they were willing to stick out the job.. but if after a year or 2 they found they were not happy with it.. they would be able to go part time...and that was always going on in their minds...
Old 07-24-2020, 08:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
As a British person, I can assure you that there are many people here who wouldn't put the institution of monarchy above their own happiness (including some British people who have been born into it or have married into it). I don't think it's necessarily an American v British thing at all but rather a desire to avoid being crushed, not just by the intense personal scrutiny of self and family but by the weight of living with false stories constantly being published without being able to challenge most of them.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But perhaps they weren't being sincere. Harry has talked about a desire to leave the RF in the past. He said that he had explained to Meghan what being a royal meant.. and what life would be like.. yet in the Bradby interview she came across as in essence saying she was not expecting various things such as the unkind press.. So perhaps Harry didn't really explain things very well to her.. Or perhaps they both had an idea that if things went well, they were willing to stick out the job.. but if after a year or 2 they found they were not happy with it.. they would be able to go part time...and that was always going on in their minds...

Your opinion is not necessarily inconsistent with mine. I think they were sincere and were willing to give it a try, but Meghan in particular assumed all along that, if she didn't like it or adapt to it, she could just walk away and take Harry and possible children with her.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think Meghan assumed anything. Those things were discussed, Harry had already in the past talked about leaving.

LaRae

Quote:

Sorry to hear you think it's an American mindset/culture to not want to be hounded to death by the press or live within a set of confines that allow you to be hammered to the point of depression etc with almost no recourse.

I quite disagree with the idea that this is an American thing...I've met (in real life) a number of Brits/Scots/Irish and what have you from the U.K. and interacted online with them for decades. IME/IMO very few of them (if any) would throw themselves upon the altar of sacrifice for the BRF. Even those who support them.

LaRae
Old 07-24-2020, 10:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Your opinion is not necessarily inconsistent with mine. I think they were sincere and were willing to give it a try, but Meghan in particular assumed all along that, if she didn't like it or adapt to it, she could just walk away and take Harry and possible children with her.
I half agree.... I think that PERHAPS they were sincere or at least Harry was in intending in May 2018 to start a full time royal life of duty. However, I cant help feeling now that perhaps there was always a semi plan to get out - not completely but to have the best of both worlds..that they would go on doing royal duties part time..with all that entailed, a free home, security, social status etc.. and that part of the time they could be free to live in the US and work to earn more money and have a more glam lifestyle.
And with Meghan I think that she had seen Fergie leaving the RF after her divorce, and making a lot of money in the US, and she may have felt that if the marriage didn't work out, or even if it did but she found she didn't like royal life.. she too could go to the US and use her new status as a Royal Duchess to make money...
Possibly Harry always wanted to get out, but truth was he knew little of the outside world really and didn't know what he would do if he left royal life.. but marriage to a woman who had had an independent career in the movie business, who knew the USA and knew about money making opportunities, gave him the "permission" to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Sorry to hear you think it's an American mindset/culture to not want to be hounded to death by the press or live within a set of confines that allow you to be hammered to the point of depression etc with almost no recourse.

I quite disagree with the idea that this is an American thing...I've met (in real life) a number of Brits/Scots/Irish and what have you from the U.K. and interacted online with them for decades. IME/IMO very few of them (if any) would throw themselves upon the altar of sacrifice for the BRF. Even those who support them.

LaRae
But these people have not married into the UK Royal family.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But these people have not married into the UK Royal family.

And? Not sure what difference that makes. Point being they don't or wouldn't expect anyone to do it.

LaRae