The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I love holding a book and prefer turning pages to swiping. That being said, I do appreciate the slim size of my reader when it comes to being out of the house. I can take it to a waiting room while I wait for my appointment and it's so much easier than a book when I travel.
I give blessings for my kindle/Ipad every day. I love reading and have vision issues so had to wait until a braille edition came out. Now, I can increase the font size on my device

Old 05-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Serene Highness

My mother has a Kindle, and I get how convenient it is for travel, but I refuse to get one as my form of protest. I love holding books and feeling the pages....I love running my hands over new, smooth hardcovers ...

Old 05-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Royal Highness

Omid Scobie about his new book -

Beware, this is a Daily Mail link, if you wish to avoid that outlet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...peaks-out.html
Old 05-06-2020, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Omid Scobie about his new book -

Beware, this is a Daily Mail link, if you wish to avoid that outlet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...peaks-out.html
I like the way you warn us
Old 05-06-2020, 05:47 PM
Courtier

The blurb says that the couple are "determined to create a new path away from the spotlight". Don't know what the authors mean by that.

And what does "with unique access" mean?

And what is "a (modern) royal family"? There's "the royal family". It's not made up of little spin offs like a tv series.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Nobility

He’s been “quietly beavering away at the project for 2 years”. H&M have not yet been married for two years. How did the authors know that they planned on leaving the RF two years ago?
Old 05-06-2020, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
The blurb says that the couple are "determined to create a new path away from the spotlight". Don't know what the authors mean by that.

And what is "a (modern) royal family"? There's "the royal family". It's not made up of little spin offs like a tv series.
"Unique access" = they are my friends.

"A modern royal family" = they approach their roles as I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
He’s been “quietly beavering away at the project for 2 years”. H&M have not yet been married for two years. How did the authors know that they planned on leaving the RF two years ago?
Do be fair, just because there are holes a supertanker can sail through, there is no need to point them out.

- The more I read about this book the less serious it seems to be, also to those who are sympathetic to H&M, and who would presumably prefer a more in depth and serious approach, because there are plenty of issues that can be addressed and plenty of questions that could be answered.
A sycophantic glossing-over won't benefit H&M.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:41 PM
Majesty

He didn't and has never said he did. Omid said he began the project 'about two years ago'. In other words, with the Sussexes' wedding coming up he (and presumably Carolyn) planned to write a biography on the royal couple and IMO were going to publish it in 2019.

However, things kept happening re the Sussexes (including the tabloids' attacks, the move from KP to Frogmore, rumoured feuds etc) and it snowballed. The Coronavirus added an extra complication. And so, this book will be published with the Sussexes in LA, something I do not believe anybody, including the authors or their subjects thought would happen in May 2018.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

I love my kindle, I have a lot of books on it. However there are certain authors I 'collect' so when they have a new book I get the actual book. I use the Kindle Unlimited program to get free books for most everything else. Now and then I do buy a book from Kindle but it's not common.

I did order the Sussex book via Kindle. There are some good biographies about Royals on the Unlimited program.

LaRae
Old 05-07-2020, 09:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

Hmm - Maybe he will explain how they are attempting to do that while exercising their right to publicity on their own terms. Absolutely nothing this couple has done says they want privacy.
And the path - well that seems to be the path of the Obamas, Bill and Melinda Gates, Oprah and Gloop - that is new about it. It is not even new to other Royals.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Hmm - Maybe he will explain how they are attempting to do that while exercising their right to publicity on their own terms. Absolutely nothing this couple has done says they want privacy.
And the path - well that seems to be the path of the Obamas, Bill and Melinda Gates, Oprah and Gloop - that is new about it. It is not even new to other Royals.
I doubt if they wrote it, they may not even have had input
Old 05-07-2020, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I doubt if they wrote it, they may not even have had input
From what I read the authors have said they had no help from the Sussexes..no interviews etc. Scobie may be a Sussex fan however Durand has been critical of them in the past. Plus, from my understanding, she is credible in the world of media.

LaRae
Old 05-08-2020, 01:35 PM
Serene Highness

Former Royal Correspondent for The Sun, Charles Rae, took to Twitter, saying the choice of publisher is ironic.

Mr Rae said: “Harry & Meghan’s bio is called Finding Freedom. Ironically published by Dey Street Books, owned by Harper Collins, owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp, which also owns The Sun – one of the papers that the freedom couple have refused to speak to.”

“You couldn’t make it up.”

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/sussex...merate-141870/
Old 05-13-2020, 04:28 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

This thread is not about the Daily Mail.

Posts in this thread should relate to its topic, namely the book 'Thoroughly Modern Royals'. Other posts will get deleted.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:52 PM
Royal Highness

The decision to quit the Royal Family was made by the Duke.

The term “Megxit” angers him.

“The book will explain why it had to happen”.

And there will be no coverage of the situation between the Duchess and her father.

New revelations from Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand’s forthcoming book.

The 368 page book is due out on August 11th.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/116950...eaving-royals/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-Markle.html
Old 05-23-2020, 10:05 PM
Majesty

I'm glad this book will go into the decision to leave their duties as senior royals. Personally, I have never believed in Megxit. It was Harry who was present at the negotiations at Sandringham. Meghan wasn't. And in his last speech before the couple left England in the Spring Harry referred to his decision to leave and that he felt there was no alternative.
It makes me even more eager to read this book when it comes out.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I'm glad this book will go into the decision to leave their duties as senior royals. Personally, I have never believed in Megxit. It was Harry who was present at the negotiations at Sandringam. Meghan wasn't. And in his last speech before the couple left England in the Spring Harry referred to his decision to leave and that he felt there was no alternative.
It makes me even more eager to read this book when it comes out.

You're right there Curryong that it was the Duke - and not the both of them - at the "Sandringham Summit".

A few years ago I read a quote from a someone - and insider - saying they were "both birds with broken wings" which really struck me.

I personally will be very suprised if they ever return to their UK life.

(And I found Lady Colin Campbell's comment about the Duke being an "alpha male" married to an "alpha female" an interesting slant - how such men never leave such wives. I can't see the Duke giving up what he now has, for something he hasn't wanted - Royal life, Royal duty. And what is in the UK for the Duchess?)
Old 05-23-2020, 10:49 PM
Majesty

The couple are certainly both the product of broken marriages and tumultuous divorces. I suppose that's where the 'broken wings' analogy comes from. However they are happy together so far. And no, I don't think they will return to royal life, though in some ways I wish they would.

I find it more interesting Sun Lion that (a) Lady Colin can pronounce on what type of male and female Harry and Meghan are without ever meeting either of them (though she may have seen Harry a few times as a small child I've never believed she was ever a Diana confidante.)

Nor, what is perhaps more disagreeable, decide to write a biography of them without ever even speaking to them. Still, I suppose the profit motive rules.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:05 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
You're right there Curryong that it was the Duke - and not the both of them - at the "Sandringham Summit".

A few years ago I read a quote from a someone - and insider - saying they were "both birds with broken wings" which really struck me.

I personally will be very suprised if they ever return to their UK life.

(And I found Lady Colin Campbell's comment about the Duke being an "alpha male" married to an "alpha female" an interesting slate - how such men never leave such wives. I can't see the Duke giving up what he now has, for something he hasn't wanted - Royal life, Royal duty. And what is in the UK for the Duchess?)
He wanted royal life. Remember their statement from the website they wanted to "collaborate" with the queen while living outside of the UK. They wanted to be half in royal life nitpicking what events they want to do instead of taking what the queen gives them. They wanted both royal life and a "commercial" life the queen said you can't have both you have to choose one. So they chose "commercial". They still want royal life now considering how they still use the Duke and Duchess of Sussex title every change they get. and since they still want 95% money from the cornwall. If Harry really wasn't about that life of royalty he wouldn't claim 95% of royal money or take house on royal property. If he was sincere about not wanting that royal life he should have not accepted the dukedom and instead tell the queen and charles he wants to be known as Harry Windsor and live a quiet life. No they wanted things their way and they wanted it on their time. When they didn't get it they threw a tantrum and left. But don't think Harry doesn't want the royal life he does just not the duty part.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:35 PM
Majesty

Harry and Meghan were full of enthusiasm for their future lives in the engagement interview and for the first months of the marriage until the media attacks became too much.

Harry was given the title of Duke of Sussex by his grandmother. Why shouldn't he (and Meghan) use the titles. They hardly stole them! And if they were so in love with being treated as royalty they would never have given up their lives as senior royals. I'll wait and see what information this book of Scobie and Durand provides on their leaving before pronouncing on it, and always thinking the worst of this couple.