Books on the Swedish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
Princess Christina has written in collaboration with journalist Carl Otto Werkelid a book "Dagar på Drottningholm" (Days at Drottningholm). It will be published next spring by Bonnier Fakta. Photos are taken by one of the most famous swedish photographers, Ralf Turander.
Personal memories and favorites from a loved Palace.
For Princess Christina Drottningholm is an old love. There she has celebrated Christmas every year since childhood and often participated in various private and official events. The Palace's history, environments and personalities, not least the strong women who left their imprint there, have always fascinated her.
She highlights from the individual events in Drottningholm history her favorites and shares her own experiences at the Palace. She tells the story of the young widow Hedvig Eleonora who started the building of the Palace, dance performances at the ancient theater, about grandfather Gustaf VI Adolf's garden plans and unusual Christmas dinner, about sledge trips with siblings in the park and her wedding waltz with her husband Tord Magnuson at Karl X Gustav's gallery and much more.
The book will be published also in english.
Dagar på Drottningholm - Bonnier Fakta
Translation

At the Royal Gift Shop's (Sweden) webshop are on sale these books
Books

Princess Christina's book "Days at Drottningholm" was published on 20th April.

Last edited:
Last edited:
New book "Maria: Sveriges ryska prinsessa" (Maria: The Russian Princess of Sweden) by Magnus Engberg. Only in swedish so far.
Maria Pavlovna (1890-1958), the cousin of the last Tsar Nikolai II, was one of the 20th century's most fascinating royal. Life led her from St. Petersburg and Moscow to the role of Swedish princess and duchess of Södermanland, in a politically-conditioned marriage with Prince Wilhelm.
Maria _ Sveriges ryska prinsessa - Magnus Engberg - Bok (9789163956133) _ Bokus
Translation

New book "Maria: Sveriges ryska prinsessa" (Maria: The Russian Princess of Sweden) by Magnus Engberg. Only in swedish so far. Maria Pavlovna (1890-1958), the cousin of the last Tsar Nikolai II, was one of the 20th century's most fascinating royal. Life led her from St. Petersburg and Moscow to the role of Swedish princess and duchess of Södermanland, in a politically-conditioned marriage with Prince Wilhelm.
Maria _ Sveriges ryska prinsessa - Magnus Engberg - Bok (9789163956133) _ Bokus
Translation

I wish the book were in English. :flowers: But I see she wrote two memoirs.

Caroline Ranby has written a book
Ebba Hochschild Att leva efter döden (To live after death)

Ebba Hochschild's life was filled with drama. She was born in Copenhagen in 1866 as the youngest daughter of Carl and Beata Gyllenstierna. At the age of 21, she married Carl Hochschild and within a few years she had become the mother of two children.
Ebba joined the circles around the court and in 1908 she was formally appointed as Queen Victoria's First Lady of the Court. As the Queen's confidant, she was allowed to go on trips to Rome and Capri, including glamorous state visits and balls at the Palace. During her stay in Germany, she became also aware of the World War II's political game and got to experience the horrors of the war close by.
Ebba Hochschild_ Att leva efter döden _ Historiska Media
Translation

Historian Herman Lindqvist has again written a book about the Swedish royal family
Bernadotte: For Sweden all the while
200 years on Sweden's throne.
By 2018, Bernadotte has been 200 years on Sweden's throne, longer than any other dynasty in our history. At the same time, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia have been king and queen longer than any of their predecessors.
The founder of the dynasty, the French marshal Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, came from simple conditions and became king of Sweden and Norway. And so strange is that since Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was crowned King of Sweden, the Bernadotte dynasty is today the only dynasty in the world, which through the same branch of the same family without interruption of war and revolution, continues to be kings of a free people and independent kingdom for two hundred year.
Herman Lindqvist talks about the Bernardotte's colorful men and women, about successes and failures, about parties and everyday life. Personally, knowledgeable and very entertaining.
Bernadotte - för Sverige hela tiden - Albert Bonniers Förlag

The cover (which isn't very good imo) has been painted by Marek Skupinski, at the first photo with Herman Lindqvist.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnEjIsBjIhD/?taken-by=marekskupinski

A new book was released on 10th May

"Royal Palaces of Sweden – People and stories" depict the fascinating history of the Royal Swedish palaces. The historical rooms and places come alive through the stories of the people who lived there.
Royal Palaces of Sweden – People and stories was created by InPress Art in collaboration with the Royal Court of Sweden.
The book was written by Sofia Hillborg and translated by Charlotte Merton. Graphic design by Tove Engström and Sofia Karlsson.
People and stories – the book - Kungliga slotten
Royal Palaces of Sweden_ People and stories - Sofia Hillborg - sidottu(9789163976414) _ Adlibris kirjakauppa

Kungar och drottningar i Sverige

The Swedish regents are presented here - from Gustav Vasa to today's royal house. As a background to the royal texts, the book also contains a brief Swedish history - from Ice Age to Spotify - and a presentation of the eleven royal castles.
A great deal of space is devoted to our modern royal family. You get to know King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine and their families. You get to read about their upbringing, interests, social engagement, weddings, children. Everything flowing richly illustrated with photographs, both known and unknown pearls.
The book contains mini biographies of Sweden's rulers from Gustav Vasa to Gustav VI Adolf. There are stories of power, war, family feuds, mistresses. Follow family ties and settlements until our modern royal family.
In the closing part of the book, the eleven royal castles, including Drottningholm Palace, The Royal Palace, Ulriksdal Palace, Haga Palace and Gripsholm Castle are presented. The other castles are Strömsholm, Rosendal, Rosersberg, Tullgarn, Gustav III's pavilion and Chinese Pavilion. All castles except Haga are open for visits.
The book is richly illustrated throughout with photographs and paintings in color.
Peter Olausson has previously written books on Sweden's history. Adrienne Bönnelyche is a reporter at Svensk Damtidning and has for many years written about royalty, both Swedish and foreign. Mattias Henrikson is the author of guidebooks about Stockholm, including all these walks in the Stockholm area.
The cover
https://ordalaget.se/wp-content/uploads/Kungar-och-drottningar-i-Sverige-omslag.jpg
Kungar och drottningar i Sverige _ Ordalaget

The book is also available in english.
Kings and queens of Sweden - Adrienne Bönnelyche, Peter Olausson, Mattias Henrikson - böcker (9789174692709) _ Adlibris Bokhandel

Princess Christina. mrs Magnuson is writing a book about her grandmother, crown princess Margareta. The book will be published in April 2020.

Hon kallades Daisy (She was called Daisy)
Princess Christina never got to know her grandmother. Crown Princess Margareta, Gustaf VI Adolf's first wife died just 38 years old exactly 100 years ago, pregnant with her sixth child. Not only did she leave the family in paralyzing grief - she was mourned by a whole people. How come? And why was it so quiet after her?
Princess Christina has searched the private family archives for answers. She has gone through letters, photo albums and documents and traveled to her cousin Queen Margrethe in Denmark to find out more. In "Hon kallades Daisy", she gives life and color to an open and versatile talented English princess who fell in love with a Swedish prince in Cairo, was called the ray of sunshine at Stockholm Palaces, and tones as the first modern royal in Sweden.
Through her search, Princess Christina finally gets to know her grandmother Daisy. In the book she writes about her foresight and warm interest and commitment to people, even far outside her own circle, and she talks about her artistic talent and great interest in gardening. But she has also received an in-depth picture of her grandfather, Gustaf VI Adolf, when she meets him as a young man in love and later as fresh in the role of crown prince. In a conversation with her cousins ​​Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte of Denmark, which is one of the chapters in the richly illustrated book, the images clarify even more.
The book is written in collaboration with Carl Otto Werkelid, who has been working as a journalist and cultural writer since the 1970s and for many years worked at Svenska Dagbladet, including as cultural director. He has also been a cultural adviser to the Swedish Embassy in London.
Hon kallades Daisy Bonnier Fakta

The Queen’s Fortune
A Novel of Desiree, Napoleon, and the Dynasty That Outlasted the Empire
A sweeping novel about the extraordinary woman who captured Napoleon’s heart, created a dynasty, and changed the course of history.
As the French revolution ravages the country, Desiree Clary is faced with the life-altering truth that the world she has known and loved is gone and it’s fallen on her to save her family from the guillotine.
The Queen's Fortune _ Allison Pataki

Author Allison Pataki at her Instagram
"I've carried Desiree's story around in my head for years. The amount of time and work it took to do the research, drafting, editing (and more editing...always more editing...) felt insurmountable at times, and life has a tendency to get in the way and constantly redirect. But today, 'The Queen's Fortune' is finally out in the world and in the hands of readers, and I could not be happier to share this story with you! Desiree's life is filled with all of the good raw material of any story: love, heartbreak, intrigue, power, relationships, resilience, and of course the stunning backdrop of Napoleonic France and one of the most tumultuous eras in modern history. So, whether you wish to be transported through a story to another time and place, whether you wish to learn about this forgotten yet highly significant woman from history, or whether you wish to draw inspiration or entertainment from a stunning life and an epic, true story, I hope that this will be the book for you. I'll leave you with this morsel: when Napoleon broke Desiree's heart and left her for Josephine, that was only the beginning of Desiree's journey, one that would lead to her not only outlasting Napoleon, but ultimately going on to found a dynasty of her own, and one that still rules to this day in Sweden. The current Crown Princess of Sweden and next in line to the throne is Victoria, and her middle name is Desiree, as she's named after the dynasty's founding matriarch. Victoria's sister, Princess Madeleine, has the middle name Josephine. Why? Why do these two modern princesses share the names of the two women whose fates were entangled back in Napoleon's day? Why are these two fabled historic women still interconnected in the modern family of the beautiful royals who hand out today's Nobel Prizes? You'll have to read #QueensFortune to find that out. But I'll tell you only this: history is juicy and dramatic and you just can't make this stuff up."
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8bqnJjAEha/

An exclusive excerpt from Princess Christina and Carl Otto Werkelid's book "She Was Called Daisy - Finding a grandmother" (2 chapters from the book)
Läs ett utdrag ur prinsessan Christinas bok _Hon kallades Daisy_ _ Selma Stories
Translation

Some pages from the book
https://books.google.fi/books?id=Bp...ssan christina", "hon kallades daisy"&f=false

There is also an audio book version of princess Christina's book "Hon kallades Daisy". The narrator at the book is princess Christina herself.
Hon kallades Daisy - Prinsessan Christina Fru Magnuson - Ljudbok - BookBeat

Upptäck Sverige med kronprinsessan Victoria, by Johan Erséus
The swedish version should be published on 15th July.
Crown Princess Victoria has been hiking through all of Sweden's provinces for two years. With the hikes she wanted to experience different parts of Sweden during different seasons, as well as highlight our unique and varied nature. In this magnificent work, we get to follow the Crown Princess throughout the country and with the help of the country's best nature photographers we meet Swedish nature when it is at its most beautiful.
The book is 320 pages and contains hundreds of amazing pictures - here are the archipelago, forests, lakes and mountains. In the book, the Crown Princess comments in a personal way on Sweden's rich nature.
“In Sweden, you can experience new exactly where you live. It's really just opening the door. It doesn't have to be complicated or expensive." - Victoria
Upptäck Sverige Bokförlaget Max Ström

The english version will be published on 1st October
Explore Sweden with HRH Crown Princess Victoria, by Johan Erséus
Crown Princess Victoria has completed a two-year project to explore every Swedish province on foot. She wanted to experience Sweden’s varied regions throughout the seasons and showcase the country’s natural beauty. The Crown Princess’ routes were carefully chosen to draw attention to the wide variety of Swedish landscapes. In this lavishly illustrated large-format book, the Crown Princess serves as our guide to all the wonderful scenery Sweden has to offer. At 320 pages, the book features more than 150 vivid photographs taken by leading photographers. Each photograph is accompanied by extensive captions or commentary by the Crown Princess. The result is one of the most magnificent books about Sweden ever published.
Explore Sweden Bokförlaget Max Ström
The cover
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

A book released on 30th April

Drottningholm, a living world heritage site
Drottningholm Palace is a much-admired UNESCO World Heritage Site – the first place in Sweden to be awarded this recognition. It is a magnificent living site that encompasses much more than the palace itself. Photographer Tove Falk Olsson has spent many years documenting Drottningholm. The result is this grand illustrated work in a compact format.
This book showcases nearly 100 images of Drottningholm Palace and its environs, including the Palace Theatre, the Chinese Pavilion and the lovely parks and grounds – as well as some more unusual features.
Drottningholm, a living world heritage site
Cover
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Swedish version
Drottningholm, ett levande världsarv
Drottningholm, ett levande världsarv

Just in time for the Crown Princess' birthday, Max Ström publishes the book Upptäck Sverige - med kronprinsessan Victoria.
Crown Princess Victoria:
- I hope that this book will serve as inspiration to discover more of Sweden's rich and varied nature. And even though there are many opportunities to travel in Sweden, you can experience something new right where you live.
Sweden when it is at its most beautiful
Crown Princess Victoria has for two years hiked through all of Sweden's provinces. With the hikes, she wanted to experience different parts of Sweden during different seasons, and highlight our unique and varied nature. In this magnificent masterpiece, we get to follow the Crown Princess throughout the country and with the help of the best nature photographers, we meet Swedish nature when it is at its most beautiful.
The Crown Princess' personal comments
The book Upptäck Sverige - med kronprinsessan Victoria contains hundreds of fantastic pictures - here are the archipelagos, forests, lakes and mountains. In the book, the Crown Princess comments in a personal way on Sweden's rich nature.
Upptäck Sverige – med kronprinsessan Victoria - Max Ström

Victoria's foreword at the book "Upptäck Sverige med kronprinsessan Victoria", a book of her hikes at Sweden's all 25 provinces in 2017-2019. From Svensk Damtidning's article.

My fantastic journey through Sweden began with my 40th birthday, when I wanted to hike in all Swedish provinces. But the idea existed much earlier. In my role, I get to visit many exciting and beautiful places, but in Sweden the trips usually go to the larger cities. I wanted to see other parts of the country. I longed to see more of nature.
As a child, I read in school about Nils Holgersson who flew on a goose all over Sweden and it felt like I was on his journey. I have the book at home on the bookshelf and have read it to my children several times. I got the strongest feeling from Nils Holgersson's journey before the children were born. It was the spring of 2010, a few weeks before Daniel and I got married.
Benny Andersson had written the music for what would be the song ”Vilar glad. I din famn” (Resting happily. In your arms), and which was to be performed at our wedding with Kristina Lugn's text. We first heard the melody in Benny's studio on Skeppsholmen. The music gave me such a strong experience that I traveled through Sweden - I saw for my inner forests, fields, lakes, sparkling sea and large mountains. When Benny played, I thought of Nils Holgersson's journey across Sweden. And that melody has been in the back of my mind during all the province hikes.
For me, it was obvious that I wanted to walk through the provinces. I really like to hike, to discover the world at just the right speed so that the eye and the soul have time. Then the hikes also fit in with Daniel's and my commitment to break the sedentary lifestyle and highlight the importance of movement. It doesn't cost that much to get out, you just need a good pair of shoes. And of course it helps if you have a thermos!
With these hikes, I wanted to emphasize the value of outdoor life and at the same time show what an incredible treasure nature offers each of us. What makes Swedish nature extra special is that it is accessible to everyone, thanks to our ancient right of everyman's right.
My own interest in nature was aroused when I was little. I was with Mulle and studied anthills, cones and other exciting things. But above all, my fascination with nature has been founded by my interested and knowledgeable parents, who both have a special ability to see both the big and the small in nature and impart the knowledge. They have given me a deep respect and an understanding of how everything is connected.
Dad was interested in forest management and environmental issues long before it became trendy. Both my dad and mom can read nature, but while my dad often walks around and reflects, my mom has been more educational and teaching. Just a few generations ago, it was a matter of course that parents passed on their knowledge of nature to their children, but now it is not as common. That's why I feel so grateful to have grown up with this joy of discovery.
During the two years that the hikes took place, I got to experience a lot of new, beautiful, exciting and educational. After each hike, I felt like I wanted to come back there with my children and show all the nice things. I would also like them to experience Sweden and everything that has given me so much.
In addition, I think that it is often enriching experience of nature for us adults to be out and about with children. They see things in a completely different way. They make us aware of things we have missed or don't remember - I will never forget the first time Estelle noticed her own shadow. It was incredibly special! Or when she first tasted snow. You yourself have forgotten these experiences. But with children, you get a second chance to discover such things again.
The experiences outdoors are of course dependent on the weather, nature is unpredictable. During a hike it can sometimes be a bit tough, but it can not be sunny all the time. Just keep going - and enjoy everything that happens when it rains or blows. During my hikes, it also became clear that Sweden is a long country. One early summer we managed to spot the flowering of lilacs in several different places, as the heat crept north. I was extra happy, because I had had such a hectic spring that I completely missed the lilacs in Stockholm!
In addition to these great nature experiences, this has also been something of an inner journey. I really came to appreciate the quiet moments and the peace that can occur in nature. They could occur on a beach on Gotland, on a cliff in Bohuslän or on a mountain in Ångermanland. Before the very first hike in Västergötland, I met the dean in a chapel; he blessed the hikes and gave me a note with words to think about during the journey that actually began on a pilgrimage route. I had the little note in my pocket on all the hikes and often thought of the words that were written there: Freedom. Slowness. Simplicity. Ease. Silence. Sharing. Spirituality.
There are many I would like to thank in this book - so many that the book would probably be twice as thick if I mentioned them all. I would still like to especially thank all the county administrative boards, led by our governors. Within the county administrative boards, there is an incredible amount of expertise in both nature, culture and the environment - and I have learned so much from them. Then I would also like to thank the representatives of all associations and organizations who in various ways contributed to the hikes. A big thank you to you and to all the other fellow hikers - by the way, a nice word that we should perhaps use more often: fellow hikers.
Now I hope that this book will inspire even more people to discover Sweden's rich and varied nature. And even if there are many opportunities to travel in the country, you can always experience something new right where you live. It doesn't have to be expensive or cumbersome. It is often enough to just open the door and go out.
Victorias egna ord om gemensamma målet med Daniel _ Svensk Dam

Some photos from the book (by 1: Pelle T Nilsson (Södermanland), 2: Hans Strand (Rapaselet, Sarek), 3: Jeppe Wikström (Gotland), 4: Pelle T Nilsson (Ångermanland), 5: Roine Magnusson (Höga kusten-bron), 6: Conny Lundström, 7: Peter Nerström (Huvudskär))
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=2d919ea3c3c417ce4ee02fc477850884&oe=5F370FF1
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9df473192a2370ae27bb44cfe3bcfeff&oe=5F35EEE4
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e12a1140dfdfd076317e4916ac581ad3&oe=5F358CE5
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=2ed0f98fa9df6a49926c74627bb6b503&oe=5F33BA30
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3d146235aeb8c069de486289ed2da6ce&oe=5F367E07
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=70b4fa54b60dc17304122bad9f79bfbb&oe=5F35DEEC
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=77504fab3f90be8445e1ffc80d8d16f5&oe=5F34961A

Last edited:
Last edited:
A new book has been published, by Arne Norlin: Familjen Bernadotte : makten, myterna, människorna (The Bernadotte family: the power, the myths, the people). It is in swedish only so far.
Familjen Bernadotte _ makten, myterna, människorna - Arne Norlin - Bok (9789186597962) _ Bokus bokhandel
Translation

New edition of the book will be published in April 2021.

The new cover:
https://www.lindco.se/wp-content/up...405_Familjen-Bernadotte_nyutgava_framsida.jpg

This new edition contains a newly written chapter about Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine and their families. The book is published for King Carl XVI Gustaf's 75th birthday.
Familjen Bernadotte – Lind & Co

A new book has been released in August:
Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen: Svenska drottningar (Swedish queens)

At the king's side, there has always been a queen, who has been and is the highest woman in the kingdom. But what has it meant to be a queen and constantly be in the spotlight? What demands has she had on herself? And how has she adapted to meet expectations?
Historian of ideas Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen has previously written the critically acclaimed books Vasadöttrarna and Vasadrottningen. Now she returns with a fascinating story about our Swedish queens from the Vasa period to today.
Tegenborg Falkdalen's thoughtful depiction highlights the conditions of the queen's role. How would the ideal queen behave as a wife, mother, housewife and as a representative and political partner by the king's side? How has the role changed over time? And what inheritance awaits Victoria on the day she inherits the throne?

The queens have always been observed and at the center of attention, they have been an "object of everyone's gaze". It was the future queen who had to change country. She was to settle at a new court where she did not know anyone. She would create a position for herself and make her marriage to a man she barely knew (or not at all) work. This has been the case since the beginning of time and this is the case in Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen's book Swedish Queens. Falkdalen goes through the role of queen for 500 years, from Gustav Vasa's first queen, Katarina av Sachsen-Lauenburg to our contemporary Silvia.
Of course, there were many who had opinions on how the new queen should behave. The queens were also never alone but have always had people around them. Even long before the breakthrough of the modern media, people around them have reported, discussed and commented on the queens and their actions. And today the royal women live their lives in the light of the publicity under more or less constant media coverage. At the same time, the royals themselves are active on social media where they present selected images of themselves.
The bourgeoisie of the royal family that began in the 19th century also meant a more difficult balance between being on the one hand "royal" and on the other hand "ordinary", just as the increased media coverage has meant that the royals' private lives have increasingly come into focus. How has this affected the queen's role and duties?
It is also the official image given and created by the queens that the author is primarily interested in. An important function for the queen was to serve as a role model for her subjects, and then especially for the female part of the population, so it is also interesting to circle what people in both contemporary and posterity have chosen to highlight about the queens.
The author answers the following questions, among others:
What has it meant to be queen?
What expectations and demands have been / are there for a queen?
How has the role of queen evolved over time?
What role has the queen played in strengthening and legitimizing the Swedish monarchy?
What issues have the queens been involved in, and have been allowed to engage in through the ages?
What information has been considered appropriate for a queen?
How would the exemplary queen behave like a wife, mother and queen?
Svenska drottningar _ Historiska Media

In the end of March 2021 will be published

Vår kungafamilj i fest och vardag 2021 : Carl XVI Gustaf 75 år
In this special edition, the king and his impressive decades as Sweden's longest reigning monarch will be celebrated. The book is filled with nostalgic flashbacks and reflections through the years. Queen Silvia's 45 memorable years as Queen of Sweden will also get a tribute.
Vår kungafamilj i fest och vardag 2021 _ Carl XVI Gustaf 75 år - Bokförlaget Semic - häftad (9789155269210) _ Adlibris Bokhandel

Back
Top Bottom