Sex Name Godparents & Duchy for Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia's Third Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anders remains a bit of a weird name for Dutch people as it means 'Different' in Dutch. In addition, while the names seem to work for Scandinavian countries, they seem a bit different from Alexander and Gabriel - however, I don't think these names fit very well together either, so, anything is possible.

I've had that feeling from the moment Gabriel's name was announced. Alexander is such a strong, tough name where Gabriel is weaker and out of sync.
I always compare it to a Viking ship and a row boat.

Girl:

Lilian/May - Princess Lilian
Renate - Queen Silvia
Marie/Britt - Marie Hellqvist

Boy:
Eugén - Prince Bertil
Philip - Prince Carl Philip
Daniel - Prins Daniel (maybe godfather too?)

Duke/Duchess of Halland

Eugen is far too traditional Swedish/Swedish royal. It doesnt fit with the more classical but popular Alexander and Gabriel.

I forgot this little one was on their way, with all the British births.

My last guess:

-Edmund Leopold Andreas

Edmund for the king's father who went by it
Leopold for CP's other godfather (honored Bertil in Alexander)
Andreas is a name from Sofia's family

If not then drop Andreas and a name from the 'popular' names list

Theodor Edmund Leopold

And for a girl

Lilly Renate Marie
-Lilly is top 15 most popular names, and a slight nod to Lilian
-Renate for the queen since Silvia was used
-Marie for Sofia's mother

Duke/Duchess of Halland
Is it just me, or am I highly doubting that we're having another Duke of Halland so soon after Princess Lilian passed away in 2013?
-
The shortest duration of dukedom vacancy (excluding dukedoms that happens to have merged with the crown or stripped due to unequal marriage) was 1 year, 11 months and 22 days between the death of Princess Therese in 1914 and the birth of Prince Carl Johan in 1916. But if the Counts of Wisborg are not counted (which otherwise would mean that Gabriel, born in 2017, receives the dukedom of Gunilla, the spouse of Prince Carl Johan, Duke of Dalarna, who passed away in 2016), dukedoms won't be created again that fast in other cases, at least recently.
-
Gabriel (2017) - Carl Johan lost title in 1946, spouse passed away in 2016
Alexander (2016) - Wilhelm passed away in 1965
Oscar (2016) - Gustaf VI Adolf became King in 1950, passed away in 1973
Leonore (2014) - Oscar lost title in 1888, passed away in 1953
Estelle (2012) - Carl lost title in 1937, passed away in 2003, spouse passed away in 2014
Carl Philip (1979) - Gustaf V became King in 1907, passed away in 1950
Victoria (born 1977, duchess since 1980) - Carl's spouse passed away in 1958

Last edited:
Girl:

Lilian/May - Princess Lilian
Renate - Queen Silvia
Marie/Britt - Marie Hellqvist

Boy:
Eugén - Prince Bertil
Philip - Prince Carl Philip
Daniel - Prins Daniel (maybe godfather too?)

Duke/Duchess of Halland

I guess this topic has already been discussed in this forum, but I don't recall the conclusion that was reached if any.

In any case, theoretically speaking, my understanding is that there should not be a duchy for CP and Sofia's third child as, unlike his/her siblings, the baby will not be born as a member of the Royal House and, historically or previously even legally (under the previous Instrument of Government), duchies were restricted to members of the Royal House only.

However, there is a lingering concern about not creating an asymmetry between CP and Sofia's children considering that Alexander and Gabriel retained their duchies even after losing the HRH and being excluded from the Royal House.

I am curious to know how that will be handled.

Last edited:
I'm guessing a girl, and based on Alexander and Gabriel a name that is traditional but still popular.
Therese, Helena, Amelie, Matilda or Louise maybe ?
Renate and Marie for middle names!

Prince Daniel for godfather! :flowers:

I guess this topic has already been discussed in this forum, but I don't recall the conclusion that was reached if any.

In any case, theoretically speaking, my understanding is that there should not be a duchy for CP and Sofia's third child as, unlike his/her siblings, the baby will not be born as a member of the Royal House and, historically or previously even legally (under the previous Instrument of Government), duchies were restricted to members of the Royal House only.

However, there is a lingering concern about not creating an asymmetry between CP and Sofia's children considering that Alexander and Gabriel retained their duchies even after losing the HRH and being excluded from the Royal House.

I am curious to know how that will be handled.

My guess is that the government and the public will not be interested enough to question the legality, but I suppose they could argue that the child is entitled to be a member of the Royal House and demoted only by the will of their grandfather, the same as their siblings.

Last edited:
The birth of this child is getting close! Probably just 2-3 weeks from now.

I think prince Daniel would be an excellent choice as godfather. And if this child gets a duchy - I think he/she will - I would go for Öland. This could perhaps be the last grandchild of this generations, and Öland hasn't been used. It's a place that the family has connections to, so it would be easy for the family to connect to Öland.

Öland makes me think of the IKEA-playground for young children. Is it called the same in IKEA's in other countries, or just in ours?
Either way, I doubt the King will let that influence his choice. If the family has ties there, Öland seems like a good choice.
The birth of this child is getting close! Probably just 2-3 weeks from now.

I think prince Daniel would be an excellent choice as godfather. And if this child gets a duchy - I think he/she will - I would go for Öland. This could perhaps be the last grandchild of this generations, and Öland hasn't been used. It's a place that the family has connections to, so it would be easy for the family to connect to Öland.

If the family has ties there, Öland seems like a good choice.

The King and his family spend summer vacations at Solliden Palace on Öland.

The royal children are also christened with water from Öland.

Last edited:
Öland is nowadays very tightly connected to crown princess Victoria. Victoria's birthday is also called Öland's National Day. Her birthday has enlarged "Victoria Days" celebration on many days with Victoria Concert, Victoria Award, Victoriadagen/greeting Victoria at Solliden, Victoria Golf, Victoria Race and Move for Fun. Victoria was chosen as the Öland Inhabitant of the Year in 2018. Victoria and her family love Öland, spend a large part of their summer there and have built an own summer house at Solliden. It would be a little strange if this child would get Öland as duchy.

Last edited:
I just wonder if the selected duchy (or at least its administration) know that there will soon be a new duke/duchess!

No, they get told at the same time as the public.

But do we know if the King decides this complett alone? Or if he talks beforehand will the future parents.

I'm going to say they're going to have a girl. I have such a hard time picking names for the Swedish royals because they just seem to pick what they like. However, Carl Philip and Sofia seem to have stuck with traditional popular names so I'm going to say Olivia or Alice for a first name.

I think a girl born April 1. Not sure of a name

I think that it is going to be a girl and for the name it looks to me that they use classical names that are easily recognized all over Europe. I can see them use Lilly (after princess Lilian), Alice, Louise, Charlotte.
I think Maria/Marie is a strong middle name contender.
I also think they will have a duchy but It will be the last given to a grandchild of a sovereign that is not child of the heir (unless Sofia or Madde have other kids obvi ��)

I have really no idea, and don't have a good sense of names popular in Sweden.
I'd expect a popular name first, but something not totally unusual, (although they might do something less sort if traditional for a girl), then a more traditional royal name (like Erik and Carl), then a family name (like Hubertus, Bertil, Walther).

So... guesses... maybe Eugen (I'd say Nicolaus, but with Madeline's Nicolas, that's unlikely), Gustaf and Folke for a boy. And Alice Christina Sibylla, maybe for a girl.

I have really no idea, and don't have a good sense of names popular in Sweden.

The most popular names for newborns in 2020: Alice och Noah populäraste namnen

1 Alice / Noah
2 Maja / William
3 Elsa / Hugo
4 Astrid / Lucas
5 Wilma / Liam
6 Freja / Oscar
7 Olivia / Oliver
8 Selma / Matteo
9 Alma / Elias
10 Ella / Adam

I like the names in Sofia's side of the family: They already used Erik, Sofia's father's name, so I am tapped out there.

If it is a girl, I would like:
Kristina Britt plus 1-2 other names.

The most popular names for newborns in 2020: Alice och Noah populäraste namnen

1 Alice / Noah
2 Maja / William
3 Elsa / Hugo
4 Astrid / Lucas
5 Wilma / Liam
6 Freja / Oscar
7 Olivia / Oliver
8 Selma / Matteo
9 Alma / Elias
10 Ella / Adam

I think Alice would be lovely for a girl! :flowers: And it was also the name of Silvia's mother, of course. I'm not sure if they would use it since it's already one of Adrienne's names, but I think it would be nice.
Astrid is another possibility!

I am not sure if it is coincidental or not, but all of the King's grandsons so far have borne at least one name carried by former kings of Sweden:

Oscar Carl Olof
Nicolas Paul Gustaf
Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil
Gabriel Carl Walther

Öland is nowadays very tightly connected to crown princess Victoria. Victoria's birthday is also called Öland's National Day. Her birthday has enlarged "Victoria Days" celebration on many days with Victoria Concert, Victoria Award, Victoriadagen/greeting Victoria at Solliden, Victoria Golf, Victoria Race and Move for Fun. Victoria was chosen as the Öland Inhabitant of the Year in 2018. Victoria and her family love Öland, spend a large part of their summer there and have built an own summer house at Solliden. It would be a little strange if this child would get Öland as duchy.

That may be an excellent reason for avoiding Öland as a duchy for the foreseeable future - its bond with the Royal House is already strong and the opportunity should be reserved for less "fortunate" provinces.

That may be an excellent reason for avoiding Öland as a duchy for the foreseeable future - its bond with the Royal House is already strong and the opportunity should be reserved for less "fortunate" provinces.

From what I observed, dukedoms from Bertil's generation are not granted except for Gabriel (whose mother comes from Dalarna) and Estelle (whose mother is the Duchess of Västergötland). Västerbotten is still associated with the King's father, the Duchess of Uppland (sort of) is still alive, and the Duchess of Halland passed away just 8 years ago.

For Gustaf VI Adolf's generation, Gustaf VI Adolf's dukedom is now Oscar's and Wilhelm's is now Alexander's. Only Erik's dukedom, Västmanland, remains.

For Gustaf V's generation, Gustaf V's is now Carl Philip's, Oscar's is now Leonore's, Carl's is now Victoria's and only Eugen's dukedom Närke remains.

The Duke of Västmanland, however, died early in 1918 while the Duke of Närke lived until 1947.

Since the Prince Family's dukedoms are all based in Svealand, granting either Västmanland or Närke makes all of the Prince Family's dukedoms contiguous as either dukedom borders with both Södermanland and Värmland.

As for the name, I'll be expecting something unconventional - much like how Gustaf V surprised the Swedes by giving traditional Nordic names to his grandchildren (like Sigvard, Lennart, Ingrid, Bertil)

Last edited:
Boy:
Edmund Folke Gustaf
Theodor Sigvard Philip
Folke Edmund Gustaf

(...)

Was dead sure the little Prince was gonna be a little Princess :lol:

Still thinking Theodor is the most likely name (but hoping for a little Edmund), but I've also been thinking they might consider reusing Bertil as the little Prince is the third son just like Prince Bertil was.

Prince Bertil Gustaf Janne, Duke of Västmanland, or
Prince Theodor Sigvard Philip, Duke of Norrbotten, or
Prince Julian Edmund Gustaf, Duke of Närke, or
Prince August Edmund Janne, Duke of Härjedalen

Another poster in the figure skating forum I frequent suggested that he be named after the new men's champion who will be crowned later today - which wouldn't be a half bad idea if either Nathan Chen or Mikhail Kolyada wins. Nathan or Michael would go nicely with Alexander and Gabriel!

So it's a boy!:cool:

Let me add some more names to my prediction: (guessing names is fun:lol:)

Theodor Herbert Louis
- Theodor- classic and traditional name
- Herbert- from sofia's maternal ancestor
- Louis- from cp's maternal ancestor

Christian Anders Leopold
- Christian- common royal name
- Anders- from Sofia's paternal ancestor
- Leopold- from CP's paternal ancestor

Magnus Arthur Ferdinand
- Magnus- traditional royal name
- Arthur- from CP's paternal ancestor
- Ferdinand- from Sofia's paternal ancestor

Felix Jan Joaquim
- Felix- common name
- Jan- sofia's maternal ancestor
- Joaquim- cp's maternal ancestor

George Philip Kristian
- George- traditional name, also from CG's ancestors (both Georg and George)
- Philip- from cp
- Kristian- from sofia

Oliver John August
-Oliver- popular name
- John & August- had been used (variants for John) in both parents' families

As seen by the choice of names in the previous seven children of Estelle's generation, the tilltalsnamn would usually be something in both English and Swedish (Estelle, Leonore, Nicolas, Oscar, Alexander, Gabriel, Adrienne). It has to have a name day in Sweden, i.e. no Timothy, Hawke, etc.

Back
Top Bottom