The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2020, 03:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0325.Mikael.0929 View Post
Södermanland is indeed a historical duchy, but after the dukedom of Skåne was first created in 1826, I get a feeling that the Dukedom of Södermanland is now instead granted to someone who plays the second fiddle to the Duke of Skåne (e.g. Wilhelm vs his great brother Gustaf VI Adolf, and now, Alexander vs his higher-in-line cousin Oscar).

As for Dalarna, it isn't as historical as it sounds, as it was first granted to August, Carl XIV Johan's youngest grandson, in 1831. The second Duke of Dalarna was Carl Johan, Gustaf V's fourth grandson in line to the throne, born 1916.

I think that Västmanland is quite historical, as it was first used for Gustavus II Adolphus and then for Erik, the third son of Gustaf V.
I meant historical in terms of it having been in use before but I can see how that can be misinterpreted

Old 12-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Hoping for a girl - double name Silvia Marie

Old 12-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Names for a Girl:
- Alice
- Olivia
- Ella
- Lilly
- Clara
- Iris
- Sara
- Emma
- Lovisa
- Bianca
- Maria
- Hanna
- Filippa
- Matilda

Names for a Boy:
- Lucas
- Elias
- Noah
- Hugo
- Oliver
- Matteo
- Adrian
- Theo
- Vincent
- Axel
- Benjamim
- Henry
- Edvin
- Julian
Old 12-12-2020, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I very much doubt that we'd ever see a Prince Janne. He'll be a member of the Royal family not a construction worker. IF they choose to name their son after Sofia's grandfather they'll name him Jan and not Janne.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0325.Mikael.0929 View Post
If I remember correctly, there has never been a Duke of Norrbotten in Swedish History, but I prefer this dukedom to be reserved for Estelle's child if Carl XVI Gustaf can live to see his great-grandchild, so that the heir apparent to the heir apparent to the heir apparent can be the first duke/duchess of a Norrland province (as it has been so for Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten and Carl Gustaf, Duke of Jämtland.). Prior to Gustaf Adolf, no dukedom in Norrland has ever been granted.

Still, I think that Härjedalen is a good choice for Grandchild No.8 if they opt for a dukedom in Northern Sweden, as this dukedom is quite a minor one compared to the others.
Yes there has never been a Duke of Norrbotten, though Norrbotten is quite a young region compared to the others... Many ”traditionalists” still views it as a part of Västerbotten wich it was until 1810

Härjedalen would be interesting. Though i suspect they will stick to regions with their own residential city as they have done so far... Härjedalen is a part of the Jämtland-Härjedalen region and it’s residential city is Östersund in Jämtland.

But who knows I am quite sure that at least Halland won’t be used. The Duke and Duchess of Halland is still very much Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian in the minds of almost every swede.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:37 PM
Nobility

Top 30 Boy Names in Sweden for 2019

1. Lucas
2. Liam
3. William
4. Elias
5. Noah
6. Hugo
7. Oliver
8. Oscar (Cousin's name)
9. Adam
10. Matteo
11. Walter (Gabriel's middle name is Walther)
12. Alexander
13. Leo (too much like Leonore)
14. Nils
15. Alfred
16. Ludvig
17. Adrian (too much like Adrienne)
18. Theo
19. Leon (too much like Leonore)
20. Elliot
21. Arvid
22. Vincent
23. Theodor
24. Filip (father is Philip, could use as middle name)
25. Axel
26. Harry
27. Frans
28. Charlie
29. Mohamed
30. Gabriel

Alexander and Gabriel each have names from the top 30 most popular Swedish baby names. Both names have "L" and "R", so perhaps Oliver. Other possibilities are Lucas, Matteo, or Theodor. (I put names in italics that I doubt would be chosen due to already being used in their family or by other royals, etc.)
Old 12-12-2020, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the list. I personally prefer a non-top 10 name. I don't think they are necessarily looking for a name that includes the A, E, L and R; but I do expect another somewhat longer name that is internationally recognizable. So, Theodor remains a good contender. What about Elliot?

Also found the top-100 girl's names.
What about Alicia? It's a nice nod to great-grandmother Alice (although so far they haven't done 'nods' with the first names of their children); another reason not to pick this name is that the first two letters coincide with Alexander's name. So, maybe Lilly (as was already proposed) or Julia (another international name). Several names in the 40-50 area, such as Elvira (40), Emilia (42), Celine (44), Elise (45) or Edith (46) might also fit with the names of the baby's siblings.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:30 PM
Majesty

For a son: Johan Anders
Old 01-13-2021, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Anders remains a bit of a weird name for Dutch people as it means 'Different' in Dutch. In addition, while the names seem to work for Scandinavian countries, they seem a bit different from Alexander and Gabriel - however, I don't think these names fit very well together either, so, anything is possible.