King Willem-Alexander and the International Olympic Committee

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandyy

Heir Presumptive
Country
Canada
British Olympic athlete Daley Thompson (R) celebrates with Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander (L) following the announcement that London will host the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, at the 117th IOC Session at the Raffles City Convention Centre in Singapore, 06 July 2005.

Attachments

• afplive804290.jpg
    afplive804290.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 213
HRH The Prince of Orange

These are the pictures I personally took of HRH the Prince of Orange at the 117th IOC session.

Attachments

• F1000029.jpg
    F1000029.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 294
  • F1000031.jpg
    F1000031.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 345
Wow, you were really close to him :) Were you working at the time or did you just go to see him?

PrincessDianafan said:
These are the pictures I personally took of HRH the Prince of Orange at the 117th IOC session.

I was working at the IOC session. The thing is the floor was very secure and no one without a pass could enter. The Royals were surrounded by some security but you could walk up to them and stand next to them without a problem. The thing is most people here do not follow royal families that much so a lot of the local people did not know who he was. So that was good for me!

Prince of Orange visits the Winter Olympic in Turnin on February 2006

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=14161

His Royal Highness the Prince of Orange, in his position of member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), will visit the 20th Winter Olympic.
The event will take place from Friday 10 February until Sunday 26 February in Turin.

Prior to the Olympic Games, will attend the 118th session of International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Tuesday 8 February until Friday 10 February.

27 January 2006

ps. CP Haakon from Norway is also going..

Last edited:
great, can't wait to see him in the Holland Heineken House, where hopefully this time a femela ice skater will be as enthausiastic as swimmer Inge de Bruin during the summer Olympics...I can imagine the german boulevard magazines already!

Marengo said:
great, can't wait to see him in the Holland Heineken House, where hopefully this time a femela ice skater will be as enthausiastic as swimmer Inge de Bruin during the summer Olympics...I can imagine the german boulevard magazines already!

You know, I was thinking exactly the same, a couple of days ago. :rolleyes:
But it will be wonderful to see him in the Holland Heineken House, we Dutch do surely know how to throw a good party. :p Just let's hope that some of our skaters will win some gold medals at the Olympics (though I highly doubt it, they're not in shape...yet). It would be funny to see W-A jumping around again. The prince is such a sports enthusiastic, I think it's really great!

Marengo said:

What happened there?

crisiñaki said:
What happened there?
Nothing. But you know, these kind of pictures and german boulevard magazines...:rolleyes:

Source: ANP, 2004

Last edited:
The Watcher said:
Nothing. But you know, these kind of pictures and german boulevard magazines...:rolleyes:

Actually, the photos just showed Olympic Joy. The mess :rolleyes: was caused by those german boulevard magazines and increased by every tabloid in the world :( :mad:

But it would be nice if this time if he appears enjoying the triumph of Dutch athletes with Maxima :) !. Is she joining him in Torino this time?

Thanks in advance.

It was only announced that WA is going.
i suppose with 2 princesses to take care, it would be hard to travel, especially if Maxima already have other engagements to attend.
but, yes, it would be great to see maxima there with her husband...

On RTL-Boulevard it was said that the Prince of Orange already left for Turin, to attend the IOC meeting.

empty.gif
Gepubliceerd |zaterdag 11 februari 2006. Gewijzigd|zaterdag 11 februari 02:48 uur.
Interview
Kroonprins dubt over zijn olympische bijbaan
Van onze verslaggever John Volkers

TURIJN - Prins Willem-Alexander werd in 1998 in een kleine storm van publicitair geweld gekozen in het Internationaal Olympisch Comité. De toekomstige koning heeft nog niet besloten zich in 2007 opnieuw te kandideren.

Prins Willem-Alexander, sinds 1998 lid van het Internationaal Olympisch Comité (IOC), heeft nog niet besloten of hij zich volgend jaar opnieuw zal kandideren voor de in sportkringen zeer begeerde post. ‘Dat is de grote vraag’, zei hij gisteren in Turijn.
Er ligt ten eerste de afspraak met de regering dat hij op het moment dat hij de troon bestijgt zijn nevenfuncties neerlegt. Een nieuwe termijn van acht jaar zal hij als toekomstige koning – Beatrix is 68 – niet kunnen volmaken. Over die implicatie liet de kroonprins zich echter niet uit.

Last edited:
Translation:
Prince Willem alexander was chosen in 1998 in a little storm of publicity violence in to the IOC. The future king has not decided jet if he is going to be a candidate for the in sportcircles very desirable job in 2007.

"Thats the big question" he said in Torino.

First of all there is a agreement with te gouverment that if he is going to be king, he has to lay all his other activitys beside him. He will not beable to fulfil A new term of 8 years , His mother beatrix is 68 years old.
About those implications , the prince did not respont to that.

Hopefully all englisch speaking and reading forum members can read my translation about Prince Willem alexander in Torino.

The Prince of Orange withdrew from the IOC commission of evaluation for the 2014 olympic wintergames. After he accepted the chairmanship of the UN-comittee for water and clean sanitation it became clear that he can not combine this with the IOC commission.

info from www.royalblog.nl (and thus GDP newspapers' H. Jacobs)

As a member of the Coordinating Committee Vancouver 2010 HRH The Prince of Orange attended the meeting ( march 6th till 8th)of VANOC,the Vancouver Organising Committee for the 2010 Winter Olympics,Vancouver.

HRH has been re-elected for another 8 year term as member of the Intenational Olympic Committee during the 119th meeting of the IOC in Guatamala City today.

With the Prince of Orange in Vancouver as a member of the IOC Coordination Commission on the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games,here's some more info on the how and what:

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE - NEWS

:)

HRH will return thursday,just in time to have breakfast with Máxima and President Guebuza of Mozambique and Mrs.Guebuza at Noordeinde Palace.

Willem-Alexander to the Olympics in China: Yes or No?

Former Prime Minister Dries van Agt was interviewed by the programme 'Een Vandaag', he stated that he would prefer it if the Dutch politicians and also the Crownprince would not attend the openings ceremony of the Olympics in China. I think that this call will be heard more frequently the next months, now the protests are becoming more loud.

On 11 april the programme '1 Vandaag' held a poll, apparently half of the people questioned think that Willem-Alexander should boycot the openingceremony of the Olympics. 42% think that he should attend.

The issue received some attention on the opinion articles of newspapers like Volkskrant and NRC Handelsblad. Some are apparently angry that the Prince of Orange as a member of the IOC is partly responsible for bringing the Olympics to China in the first place.

--

Meanwhile the smallest party in the government, the Christian Union (CU) has asked for a very sobre Dutch delegation at the Olympics and for the Dutch officials not to attend the opening ceremony. Minister of Foreign Affairs, Maxima Verhagen (Christian Democrats; CDA) said he would not support that plan.

Last edited:
As to the original question? YES!!

Van Agt,as many of us dutch know,is loosing his marbles one by one.

This trying to create another bs hype is really what's so sickening in dutch society at present.It's none of our bloody business,its a chinese domestic affair,regardless what you say you can not change that,and sports and politics should never ever be mixed up/used & abused.That is my main point.

Besides,so easy,we all have known for the past 12 years that the 2008 Olympics were to be held in Beijing,we should have protested then,but then again,protest against what?And What for?

With the political heads boycotting the opening ceremony,
I thought it would be nice if royals attended since they are somewhat less political.
And if they're members of IOC, it's their reponsibility to bring it to success, isn't it?

Last edited:
With the political heads boycotting the opening ceremony,
I thought it would be nice if royals attended since they are somewhat less political.
And if they're members of IOC, it's their reponsibility to bring it to success, isn't it?

No one substantial will boycot the Opening of the Games just because of domestic trouble.

There is no hype on this issue and there won't be one.All to little too late,the issue had to be addressed at the time China announced it was in the run for this years Olympics.12 Years ago China was in Tibet too,no-one,No-one raised his/her voice then,so they just as well be silent now.

As Members of the International Olympic Committee's of their respective countries ALL members of Royal Houses should attend.

I stress that Sport is far from politics,or should be,and therefore domestic riots are to be ignored.If we start let politics run sport no-one goes anywhere ever again as we all have butter on our heads one way or another,so lets all cut the nausiating hypocrasy please,thank you.

NOC chairwoman Erica Terpstra is defening the IOC and says that the crownprince has to go to the Olympics as the other officals should do. She is debating with Eric van Muiswinkel on Pauw en Witteman on Ned1 right now, the debate is rather heated.

Last edited:
NOC chairwoman Erica Terpstra is defening the IOC and says that the crownprince has to go to the Olympics as the other officals should do. She is debating with Eric van Muiswinkel on Pauw en Witteman on Ned1 right now, the debate is rather heated.

van Muiswinkel,Pauw & Witteman?So?They get payed to proclaim nonsense to be thruth and vice versa.They've never ever been in anything serious themselves whatshowever,they're just typical red nobodies trying to pump up the volume while there is none,a huge bubble about to burst,leaving nothing,as they are nothing.P v/d A drammertjes,to be ignored.

HRH,Member of the International Olympic Committee,was on a working visit to London today in the frame of the 2012 London Olympics.

Het Koninklijk Huis

HRH,member of the International Olympic Committee,is in Vancouver as a member of the Coordinating Vancouver 2010 committee.

The coordinating committee supports the organising committee of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The Prince is in Vancouver from today till wednesday april 1st.

Back
Top Bottom