King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, Current Events 1: May 2013 - Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima received representatives of the Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis (CPB), the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (PBL) and The Netherlands Institute for Social Research (SCP) at Huis ten Bosch Palace today, November 4, to talk about the "economic, ecological and social aspects that determine the prosperity and well-being of people in the Netherlands":

** koninklijkhuis.nl: Koninklijk Paar ontvangt vertegenwoordiging van de drie planbureaus **

OT but made me :lol:

i live in Limburg, and at the end of the day the radiostation for Limburg did a little recap of the visit, thaf started with:

Queen Maxima and her husband visited our province
:lol:
(when you're a member of a royal family who reigned for over 200 years and you are relegated to be announced as your wife's husband ?)

King Willem-Alexander had a telephone conversation with the King's Commissioner Johan Remkes today, July 15, about the current situation in Limburg after the heavy rainfall and great flooding:

** Photo of the flooding shared by the Palace ** koninklijkhuis.nl: Koning betuigt steun aan provincie Limburg **

King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima have arrived in the city of Valkenburg right after the graduation ceremony of Amalia s school,to support all affected and be informed about whats happening where and what else can possibly be done.The floodings are too awfull,here in the southern province of Limburg but also in Belgium and Germany,horrific!!

Last edited:
According to the news the peak in some parts of Limburg is only expected to arrive tomorrow. People in Roermond - where the Meuse and the Ruhr meet- will need to be evacuated.

In Maastricht 10.000 people have been evacuated, the Meuse is expected to overflow in the hours after midnight, but hopefully it will not.

Last edited:
OT but made me [emoji38]

i live in Limburg, and at the end of the day the radiostation for Limburg did a little recap of the visit, thaf started with:

Queen Maxima and her husband visited our province
[emoji38]
(when you're a member of a royal family who reigned for over 200 years and you are relegated to be announced as your wife's husband [emoji2])
That is rather funny, I am sure they would think so too.
Stay safe, Lee!
I'm in Brabant, so no problems around here fortunatly.

The king and queen will receive the Olympic Games medalists at Noordeinde Palace on Tuesday. The Netherlands won a historic number of 36 medals (not the highest number of gold medals though - that happened in Sydney in 2000) and landed the 7th spot on the list of countries.

In Sydney most medals were won in swimming (which provides lots of opportunities if you have a few strong swimmers in your team), this time it was spread out over a much larger number of sports. Most were 'bike'-related but especially a total of 7 athletics medals was quite a surprise.

Nice images of all of them together. The Dutch team had it’s best result ever.

The government plane flew back to Greece 6 hours after it landed, so the couple ia probably back in Greece to continue their vacation.

Nice images of all of them together. The Dutch team had it’s best result ever.

The government plane flew back to Greece 6 hours after it landed, so the couple ia probably back in Greece to continue their vacation.

The day after a disastrous report about global warming, the King and Queen simply fly back to Greece. But they are not the only ones. King Philippe will fly from his holiday residence Île d'Yeu to Brussels for a similar event.

Not only the royals lack an antenna, also their well-paid advisors and ultimately the ministers seem lacking this.

The day after a disastrous report about global warming, the King and Queen simply fly back to Greece. But they are not the only ones. King Philippe will fly from his holiday residence Île d'Yeu to Brussels for a similar event.

Not only the royals lack an antenna, also their well-paid advisors and ultimately the ministers seem lacking this.

So what might you have preferred:

a) the King and Queen to not host the ceremony;
b) the ceremony be hosted virtually, from Greece;
c) the RF end their holiday at this stage and return to The Hague for the rest of August; or
d) defer the ceremony to when they return.

And to make matters worse,I am going to fly to Cyprus.Twice.
Lack any sense for hypes,and keep it that way as long as the real big polluters apparently do not give a dime.

But that is what Heads of State do,they applaud and honour athletes
at the appropriate time,which is now,not over Christmas.

So what might you have preferred:

a) the King and Queen to not host the ceremony;
b) the ceremony be hosted virtually, from Greece;
c) the RF end their holiday at this stage and return to The Hague for the rest of August; or
d) defer the ceremony to when they return.

None of that,surely not!

The king and queen will receive the Olympic Games medalists at Noordeinde Palace on Tuesday. The Netherlands won a historic number of 36 medals (not the highest number of gold medals though - that happened in Sydney in 2000) and landed the 7th spot on the list of countries.

In Sydney most medals were won in swimming (which provides lots of opportunities if you have a few strong swimmers in your team), this time it was spread out over a much larger number of sports. Most were 'bike'-related but especially a total of 7 athletics medals was quite a surprise.

A surprise,yes,fabulous!!And they were honoured accordingly and appropriatly!!
36 Medals for a small country like ours is extraordinary,and extraordinary matters ask for extraordinary measures right away!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Lucien .
Sad the Pictures taken during private holidays. It seems to be a German Photograph.

None of that,surely not!

I said that tongue-in-cheek, at the suggestion that it was inappropriate for he King and Queen to interrupt their holiday briefly to host the Olympians. My own view is that greeting them at this stage is the right thing. It is very different to how it works in the UK, where a message of support is published now, to be followed by a reception at BP later in the year.

Last edited:
They have been on vacation for a month already so I am sure they were delighted to be home, even only for 6 hours. No idea when they will be back but a I am sure it will be before the opening of parliament in the 3rd Tuesday of september. Though they could do that on zoom as well I suppose.

While he was home for 6 hours the king also installed an (care-taker) under minister, Dennis Wiersma (VVD).

Last edited:
It is the same as Cristiano Ronaldo being kicked out of Euro 2020 and a day later posting pictures with his newest Lamborghini and his newest yacht. Where is his antenna, while the whole of Portugal still was in disbelief of the reigning European Champions being kicked out in the 1/8th Finals already?

It is the same as King Willem-Alexander flying from Greece to The Hague, two weeks ago, only to cut a ribbon with a Japanese samurai sword, to open the Olympic Weeks. After this short ribbon-cutting in The Hague, His Majesty immediately flew back to Greece, with a nearly empty Government Boeing 737. What was he thinking? Was the opening of the Olympic Weeks an absolute necessity for having the King there? Could a renowned Olympic Medalist not cut that ribbon, in name of the King?

It is the same as Lionel Messi bursting in tears, for leaving FC Barcelona after earning 1.000.000.000,00 Euro (!) in salary (and leaving the club almost bankrupt). Señor Messi's tears were not even dry or he was presented at his new club Paris Saint-Germain. Where was his antenna, leaving his countless of Barcelona fans in disbelief?

It is a sort of total disconnection of the rich, the famous, the royals, with reality which disturbs me.

I said that tongue-in-cheek, at the suggestion that it was inappropriate for he King and Queen to interrupt their holiday briefly to host the Olympians. My own view is that greeting them at this stage is the right thing. It is very different to how it works in the UK, where a message of support is published now, to be followed by a reception at BP later in the year.

On itself there is nothing wrong with that. The Olympic Medalists being honoured later. Why not? I like that British arrangement.

Yesterday's event was in three parts:

A last assemble of the Netherlands Olympic Team for an official end of the Olympic Mission 2016-2020.

The handing over of financial prizes to the Medalists (each Golden Medal € 30.000,--, each Silver Medal € 22.500,-- and each Bronze Medal € 15.000,--) and then the Minister of Sport awarding royal decorations in the name of His Majesty, to the individual Gold Medalists and to the captains of Gold Medal Teams.

The reception at Noordeinde Palace, where the whole équipe was welcomed by the King and Queen.

On itself I fail to see why this could not have been organized in September or so. Probably the Olympians themselves would love it to go to holiday first.

I hope it is the angle of the picture, the King's tummy looks gigantic...

Too much mousaka, souflaki and gyros in Greece ?

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/binar...sma-van-weyenberg-koning-willem-alexander.jpg

I like it that the Court maintains jacquet as dress code. I think the Netherlands is the only European country to require this dresscode for formal day events. (The only other example I can think of is Japan).

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in the UK we have the reception later because we include Olympic and Paralympic competitors together, usually with an open-top bus ride through London.

That might not be possible this year, because of Covid, but I like the idea of not making a distinction between the two events.

On itself there is nothing wrong with that. The Olympic Medalists being honoured later. Why not? I like that British arrangement.

Yesterday's event was in three parts:

A last assemble of the Netherlands Olympic Team for an official end of the Olympic Mission 2016-2020.

The handing over of financial prizes to the Medalists (each Golden Medal € 30.000,--, each Silver Medal € 22.500,-- and each Bronze Medal € 15.000,--) and then the Minister of Sport awarding royal decorations in the name of His Majesty, to the individual Gold Medalists and to the captains of Gold Medal Teams.

The reception at Noordeinde Palace, where the whole équipe was welcomed by the King and Queen.

On itself I fail to see why this could not have been organized in September or so. Probably the Olympians themselves would love it to go to holiday first.

It is nice anyway to have a ceremonial, non-partisan Head of State who can stage a event like that for olympic champions without being accused of trying to take political advantage thereof, which is what normally happens when executive presidents like the President of the United States or the President of Brazil host similar meetings.

Our King stayed at l' Ile d'Yeu . He will thank and congratulate BOTH of the Olympic games.
Sad that Princess Amalia pas not present !

Our King stayed at l' Ile d'Yeu . He will thank and congratulate BOTH of the Olympic games.
Sad that Princess Amalia pas not present !

In Nieuwsblad I saw that there will be no special reception for the Belgian medalists: instead King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will receive a delegation of athletes whom have made meritorious performances at European Championships, World Championships, Olympic Games and Paralympics (in November at the Royal Palace in Brussels).

(Het Laatste Nieuws reported that the King and Queen would receive the field hockey team, the horse-jumping team, Nina Derwael, Nafi Thiam, Wout van Aert and Matthias Casse after the Games but apparently all will go on vacation first. Het Laatste Nieuws is not the most reliable source anyway.)

Last edited:
Also this year Prinsjesdag will be without public, without guests in the venues, without a ceremonial procession through The Hague, without a balcony appearance. The reason is that the Government wants to avoid the public overflowing the narrow streets of old The Hague (to see the procession) because of COVID.

See the usual public: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/hag...opening-parliamentary-year-king-126566468.jpg

Also this year the King will read the Address from the Throne in the Great- or Saint James' Church, where the members of Parliament can observe distance:

https://images.nrc.nl/lAElL93WeSJYX...nl/bvhw/files/2020/09/data62012267-850031.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom