Guess the name and sex of the new baby...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will Ingrid Alexandra and Marius get a sister or a brother?

• A sister

Votes: 53 30.6%
  • A brother

Votes: 120 69.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Instead of making two separate threads for the new baby (guess name and sex), I thought it would be fun to have them both in the same thread.

The newest baby in the Norwegian Royal family will be born in December, 2005.

That gives us plenty of time to guess if Marius will get another sister, and be the only boy among four girls at family gatherings (the two Behn girls, Ingrid Alexandra and a potential new sister) or if he'll get another brother?

It also gives us plenty of time to speculate on what names Haakon and Mette-Marit might choose for the unborn. The last name to come out of the family caught us all by surprise; will there be yet another surprise this time? Guess away :)

i vote girls for Crown Merit-Marit

Sara Boyce

Uh, now we need a tie breaker ! I think a boy would be nice, it can be to overwelming with too many girls. But as long as its' healthy anything will do!
Wittykitty

Haakon and Mette-Marit said in an interview today that they hadn't even begun to think of names yet...

Good suggestions?

Great idea to combine the threads Norwegianne!

I voted for a little boy prince. And I am still enamoured with the name Magnus. It is one of Haakon's names and a good Norwegian name right?

(How about a good guess on one name they won't choose if they have a baby boy: Sven after Mette-Marit's wayward and embarassing father!)

I'm a bit unsure how much Haakon and Mette-Marit is going to lean on tradition for this child, as it isn't first in line to the throne. Having a somewhat Norwegian name seems fairly likely, though. It should be something that works with Marius and Ingrid, in my opinion.

As the world is getting more and more globalized, the name should also be able to be used internationally without too many problems.

Names I like for a boy: Halvdan, Eirik, Magnus (All names in the Norwegian Royal line from before the union with Denmark.) Solid, traditional names. Olav may also enter the mix, or any of King Olav's names before he changed. Alexander is most likely out of the picture. If taken into account that it should work with Marius and Ingrid, I'm moving towards Magnus. Marius, Ingrid and Magnus... there's kind of a certain ring to that, unless the names become too similar.

Names I like for a girl: I kind of am fairly partial to two names, Margrethe and Kristin, there have been Norwegian princesses by both names.

Of course, there will also most likely be a secondary name. Highly likely that there will be family names in the mix. Charlotte was one of Queen Maud's names. Pretty.

I voted for a boy and I saw that I was not alone to think that . Or maybe to WANT the baby to be a little prince ? But a little princess would be great too !:)

As for the name, I don't know . Maybe they will not follow tradition and give their son or daughter a more exotic name ... as did Princess Märtha Louise . Leah Isadora is so wonderful . I would love such a beautiful name for Mette-Marit's baby .

It would be wonderful for Mette-Marit and Haakon to have a little Prince! But a Princess would be lovely too.
For boys' names I like Magnus, and Olav as traditional names. Non-traditional names I like are Gunnar, Jakob, and Mathias.
For girls' names I like Desiree, and Margaretha as traditional names. Non-traditional names I like are Nina, Helene, Nikolina, and Matilda.
Most of all I hope the baby will be healthy.
If the new baby is as cute as Marius and Ingrid are than we royal watchers are in for a treat!

Last edited:
My guess is that it will be a boy and as for names, I like Magnus too since it is so traditional or Erik. If it is a girl, I think Mette-Marit would be a nice name. I am usually not for naming the children after the parents but I think it is a beautiful name and would be good for a daughter. Nora would also be a pretty name.

I voted for a daughter, with the theory that Martha Louise had two girls... :rolleyes:

For a name I like,
Kristin Benedikte :cool:

If I'm wrong :eek: and they have a boy, I think they might name him
Mathias Olav

It goes well with Marius and honors the royal great grandfather

I think it will be a little boy.

Something for a boy like Erik Olav or Erik Magnus or Erik Paul.
Girl maybe Sophie Charlotte, Sophia Charlotte or Ann Mette.

Does anyone know what are the 10 most popular names in Norway currently?

In 2004 these were the most popular names;

Girls: Emma Julie Ida Thea* Nora Emilie Maria Sara* Hanna* Ingrid*
Boys:
Mathias* Markus* Martin Kristian* Andreas Jonas Tobias Daniel Sander Alexander*

* means that different spellings of the names are counted, i.e. Tea, Sarah, Hannah, Ingerid, Ingri, Mattias, Marcus, Christian, Aleksander.

I found these ar www.ssb.no (In the Norwegian section that is, but there are some English pages as well).

As a curiosity; in 1906 Olav was the most popular name for boys, and in 1937 Harald was the 6. most popular name, in 1930 Ragnhild was the 5. most popular name for girls, and in 1932/33 Astrid was the most popular name.

Royalty influence the names of "common" children as well.

Last edited:
I think it might be a girl. I like the names Elizabeth & Victoria....I don't know how popular those names are in Norway tho. But I could see them picking family names....from Mette-Marit's side as well as Haakon's side. Or they could just pick totally random names like Martha Louise did.....I don't remember any princess by the name of Leah. It would be original for them to do that. If they do have a boy I could see them having the name Olav & Haakon in there somewhere b/c it is the Centennial as a Sovereign nation.

I think it will be a girl and if it is they could perhaps give it as one of its names the name Maud in honor of the first modern queen consort of Norway.

Little Prince

I think a little Prince for Mette-Marit and Hakoon

Boys:
Olav - Harald - Hakoon - Alexander - Daniel - Martin

Girls :
Sonia - Mary - Alexandra

BOY!!!!!!!!!!! i think we need some boys from all royal houses around the world to balance it out...hoho..cuz most of the 1st born are all princesss......

Anybody else want to hazard a guess at names or sex of the baby?

Do you think that Mette-Marit and Haakon will opt for more traditional names for their unborn baby than Märtha Louise and Ari have done for Leah Isadora?

Mette - Marit doesn't look like she gain any weight at all to me anyway. So Im thinking that they'll have another girl AGAIN? But still. I don't know how far along she is. Maybe it's to early to tell. I don't know we'll see.

So for NOW Im going to say that Ingrid is probably going to have a little sister to boss around.

Girl:
-Isabella Charlotte
-Amalie Louise
-Dagny Victoria
-Tyra Sophie
Boy:
-Olav Christopher
-Olav Mathias
-Magnus Fredrik
-Eirik Christopher

Minka

Status